Who should the caretaker manager be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedNed77

Lucky draw is one thing but he’d be seriously out of his depth.
More than Solskjaer would be? He looked out of his depth at Cardiff. But we're talking about interim managers here. Got to be realistic with the profiles of the managers we're looking for and what our expectations are from it.

Edit: For some sensible feel good factor I'm happy with Solskjaer, for a laugh and some potential all round craziness after the tedium of Jose and LvG, I'd like Eric.

AngliaRed

Can anyone imagine the caretaker manager having any say in any potential signings in the January market?

I’d be happy players like Valencia, Jones and Fellaini sold and a couple from the reserves promoted.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
More than Solskjaer would be? He looked out of his depth at Cardiff. But we're talking about interim managers here. Got to be realistic with the profiles of the managers we're looking for and what our expectations are from it.
Solskjaer taking that job was more an error of judgment than him being out of his depth. Cardiff were a sinking ship.

He’s done well in Norway with Molde so yeah Solskjaer is more qualified than Cantona.

Cantona isn’t even a serious/realistic suggestion in all honesty

0le

Can anyone imagine the caretaker manager having any say in any potential signings in the January market?

I’d be happy players like Valencia, Jones and Fellaini sold and a couple from the reserves promoted.
I would imagine the plan is to hire a DoF and determine over the 5 months who to keep and who to get rid. Then a summer clear out. I don't expect any activity in the winter window except for academy signings.

RedDevil@84

Fellaini is not getting sold after giving him a new contract just few months back.
Valencia and Jones might plan to move on in summer, after they are told they are not getting a new contract. Don't think anyone will be sold in January

Berbaclass

Well we’re hiring a technical director or something along those lines so those decisions will be made by them and the newly appointed manager I presume.

OGS will just work with our current players.

vidic blood & sand

I'm just going to be so happy seeing us trying to entertain. It'll take a while because we're so brainwashed with a defensive mindset.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
If we really want to kill two birds with one stone, we could simply appoint all of our deadwoods as joint-interim managers till the end of the season and then fire them when top four is a mathematical impossibility. Also, as long as we keep killing them birds, there'll be less chance of one of them defecating in Ashley's mouth.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Both Barcelona and Real Madrid have appointed managers directly from being reserve team boss and in Barcelona's case, assistant manager too. The idea that a manager needs to have a certain CV is ridiculous. LVG and Mourinho have won titles across Europe yet were total failures here.

Even before today, I would have interviewed Solskjaer, alongside Eddie Howe and a few other talented younger coaches from across Europe, for the permanent job.
Why would you have interviewed Solskjaer? Why are you placing him in the same category as Eddie Howe?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’d be delighted to see Ole come in as caretaker. Get that feelgood factor back around the club. Some positivity. But I’m arguably even more excited at the prospect of having Phelan back. A true club servant.

Steerpike

I don't imagine the January transfer window will see much activity for us. The caretaker manager's brief will be to do the best with what's already there, but (hopefully) to change the brand of football back to something the club can relate to.

The current players will be given the chance to show that they want to be here, and deserve to be here. It will all get a bit bloody come the end of the season though. The sooner the better from my perspective.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Giggs was thrown in at the deep end with zero managerial experience with minimal pressure on results. Ole is being brought in to lift us and get us playing some good football again.
If that was the spec, then it simply wouldn’t be Solskjaer. On what basis has he proven to be them man for that? He, like Giggs, will be given the job First and foremost due to this need to have someone who ‘gets the club’.

If I had opened a thread literally 24 hours ago saying we should sack Mourinho and hire Solskjaer, I would have been laughed off the forum.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I bet Keegan would love it if we gave him a chance to get us relegated instead of Newcastle.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No JP, it doesn't count. If it were to count then we should just appoint the best futsal manager in the world because futsal is more akin to 11 aside than beach footie is.

Still love Eric though. He's a legend.
White text shouldn't be needed.:)

Berbaclass

If that was the spec, then it simply wouldn’t be Solskjaer. On what basis has he proven to be them man for that? He, like Giggs, will be given the job First and foremost due to this need to have someone who ‘gets the club’.

If I had opened a thread literally 24 hours ago saying we should sack Mourinho and hire Solskjaer, I would have been laughed off the forum.
That’s not the plan though, Solskjaer is being brought in to bridge a gap. There are multiple reasons why Solskjaer makes sense and him knowing the club is one of them.

johanovic

I would love Ole+Phelan+Carrick+McKenna and it sure would make it interesting to bring Keano back with them to give this underperforming lot a kick up the backside

fredriti

Moyes biggest mistake was getting rid of Rene and Phelan. If OGS is hired bringing in Phelan would be a master stroke. I believe the players will play well for this combination.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That’s not the plan though, Solskjaer is being brought in to bridge a gap. There are multiple reasons why Solskjaer makes sense and him knowing the club is one of them.
Him knowing the club is the only one of them. If he had no connection to the club, he wouldn’t make any sense at all.

Chairman Steve

Yeah I’d support an Ole and old short shorts coming up for a few months. I’m sure it’s clearly put out to them that’s interim. Ole has conveniently got the time because the way Norwegian league is structured, so he’ll probably miss the first two months of Moldes season then go back.

It’s the Henrik Larsson signing but in manager form... plus Phelans a reliable No.2 and I’m almost sure all these players will look a lot better since now they’re fighting for positions next season as well as they don’t have Jose there.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Moyes biggest mistake was getting rid of Rene and Phelan. If OGS is hired bringing in Phelan would be a master stroke. I believe the players will play well for this combination.
McKenna has to be involved somewhere I think. He’s been a great custodian over some of our biggest talent in ages, and can help them transition into the squad well. Carrick, I am less concerned about. Not sure why he’s jumped the queue straight into the big league anyway, and don’t know what he brings yet.

Berbaclass

Him knowing the club is the only one of them. If he had no connection to the club, he wouldn’t make any sense at all.
Plays attractive football
He’s available right away
Willing to be the interim where other managers might not
Knows the club
Fans love him

Makes sense in the short term because of those things.

RedNed77

Solskjaer taking that job was more an error of judgment than him being out of his depth. Cardiff were a sinking ship.

He’s done well in Norway with Molde so yeah Solskjaer is more qualified than Cantona.

Cantona isn’t even a serious/realistic suggestion in all honesty
Zidane hadn't done much in a managerial capacity either and our expectations are no where near what Madrid fans were. It didn't stop Madrid from giving it a go.

I don't realistically expect us to get the top 4 this year. We've fecked up too badly already. I'd just like some weekends to be utterly brilliant and to come away from a game thinking that was amazing, rather than the shite we've been served for the last 5 years. Cantona almost guarantees that, I'll take Solsjkaer though if I can't have Eric in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.