Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

redmanx

Point being......

He's not a catalyst. He's a passanger.

It might work for us now when we have catalyst players in the form of Bruno, but it didn't work for us when we needed one 5 years ago.

I'd rather he fecks off, nothing to do with him personally, i don't know the man.

It's just the amount of drama he brings to the club. Just look at all this topics and posts....
Im sure Pogba is a decent human being, loves kitties etc but he is not right for Manchester United, never was and never will be.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
My problem with Pogba has always been the disrespectful way he, his agent and known affiliates have talked about the club to the press. Its man united. He put Ole under so much pressure at the start of the 19/20 season. Some have forgotten what it was like with the the press, but I haven't. Mourinho had already gone and his agent was still airing out rubbish. For me, that was one of the rock bottoms for United as a club since Fergie left.
this.

tjb

Unfortunately, this is the way football is increasingly going - you sign a player and give them a contract of X number of years and you have to assume that they can go for free at the end of that period. We've left it too late to extend his contract really, and now we're effectively in the same position as any other club who might want to sign him
TBH there's nothing wrong with that. Its much better than promising to sell them soon then rejecting bids after they signed a three year deal. Players are simply getting smarter.

In this particular case, Pogba's the one at fault. His wage demands are ridiculous, his treatment of the club over the past 3 seasons has been ridiculous. We've been trying to sell this guy since the start of 18/19, this was the only logical way it would end. If his performances in the euros weren't enough to convince teams to spend money on him, nothing will.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
OK, if he has such respect for Ole, why did he let his agent, a man he employs, say what he did, or at least apologize for it?

Really, the blame game?

Ok let me flip that right back on you - why have United decided to hang on to Pogba his entire contract duration and not sell him when they could have accepted transfer fees in the past/present. And better yet, how is that Pogba’s fault that they haven’t sold him?

*hint hint, it’s not his fault*

redmanx

Nothing better than us facing Pogba in his new team (whatever that may be) and winning. His non-committal antics are getting old.
Even the French are growing tired of his apparant lack of concern and unwillingness to chase and tackle.

redmanx

Yep. It's actually a mental point of view in the OP from my perspective, I can't relate to that at all.

We really are miles down the track of fans being fans of players rather than fans of the club. Celebrity culture is sad.
Im a fan of Manchester United, Pogba is an employee of Manchester United and one who would clearly rather be somewhere else.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Im a fan of Manchester United, Pogba is an employee of Manchester United and one who would clearly rather be somewhere else.
We’re all fans of Manchester United. Pogba is a fan of Manchester United. Pogba in the past wasn’t a fan of how Manchester United was being operated. As were/are a lot of supporters.

…people really can’t seem to differentiate the 2. There’s the club - the literal badge - and then the people who run it. 2 separate identities. Pogba became unsettled because of the people running the club. It was awful. We were the laughing stock of world football for a number of years.

Pogba alluded to wanting to be somewhere else in the past. The club denied him that and have continued to. That falls on the shoulders of the people running Manchester United. They know exactly what they’re doing by not letting his request be fulfilled. And who knows, maybe it works out if Pogba is convinced this season over the last 2 years drastic change for the better (finally). Even if he doesn’t, yeah you blame the people who chose not to sell him when he wanted out in the past if you really care about him walking that much. Pogba never let it get to this point — the club/people operating it did.

tjb

I don’t agree. The stats say otherwise and Oles selection policy seems to side with the stats unless one of the lads was injured. Pogba might be much better on the ball but he doesn’t offer more when he’s giving the ball away and not tracking back. It cancels itself out and makes us far easier to beat.
TBF I see his point and do agree. Fred and Mctominay don't have or give half of what Pogba has and could give. The problem is Pogba willfully chooses not to give it. People always forget 2017/2018. Pogba was playing well in the pivot; his fight with Mourinho started and imo marred the rest of that campaign because Pogba wanted to play in a three man midfield despite the fact that the double pivot was working. That's why its always funny when people praise Pogba's performances for France, criticizing United for misusing him. Pogba dropped the ball and chose not to play or perform in that position and it showed in his games after the December Everton game. After that, you could not get him to stay disciplined in that role for us. As much as I dislike Mourinho, I believe that it was at this stage that Mourinho gave up on the Pogba project. He was so selfish that he was willing to sacrifice team success to play in a role he was more comfortable with. You can say all you want about how badly Mourinho handled that situation, but he should never have been put in that position in the first place.

redmanx

Really, the blame game?

Ok let me flip that right back on you - why have United decided to hang on to Pogba his entire contract duration and not sell him when they could have accepted transfer fees in the past/present. And better yet, how is that Pogba’s fault that they haven’t sold him?

*hint hint, it’s not his fault*
Flip what you want; Pogba has only rarely played like the player we all thought he was; hes blamed everybody and everything for his failure to contribute even half decent performances with any sort of consistency; hes been played in just about every position on the pitch and still complained none was his favourite; and in allowing his agent to spew out all that rubbish he has disrespected the club and its supporters. Yes, Pogba has all the talent in the world, but none of the attitude required to go with it.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Flip what you want; Pogba has only rarely played like the player we all thought he was; hes blamed everybody and everything for his failure to contribute even half decent performances with any sort of consistency; hes been played in just about every position on the pitch and still complained none was his favourite; and in allowing his agent to spew out all that rubbish he has disrespected the club and its supporters. Yes, Pogba has all the talent in the world, but none of the attitude required to go with it.

Ok that’s nice and all but doesn’t answer the question at hand of how it’s Pogba’s fault for his contract being at the stage that it is with United.

edit: which was my entire point in making this thread and not about anything else.

Last edited:

Tallis

CanadianUtd - how can you be certain that it’s the clubs fault that we haven’t sold Pogba. What if Pogba is being difficult - making wage demands which no one would entertain ? This assumption wouldn’t be beyond reason as we have seen other Raiola clients walk away on Free’s as well.

redmanx

We’re all fans of Manchester United. Pogba is a fan of Manchester United. Pogba in the past wasn’t a fan of how Manchester United was being operated. As were/are a lot of supporters.

…people really can’t seem to differentiate the 2. There’s the club - the literal badge - and then the people who run it. 2 separate identities. Pogba became unsettled because of the people running the club. It was awful. We were the laughing stock of world football for a number of years.

Pogba alluded to wanting to be somewhere else in the past. The club denied him that and have continued to. That falls on the shoulders of the people running Manchester United. They know exactly what they’re doing by not letting his request be fulfilled. And who knows, maybe it works out if Pogba is convinced this season over the last 2 years drastic change for the better (finally). Even if he doesn’t, yeah you blame the people who chose not to sell him when he wanted out in the past if you really care about him walking that much. Pogba never let it get to this point — the club/people operating it did.
United bought him to do a job; the managers job was to define that job, Pogbas job was to play as his manager wanted, but Pogba didnt like running and chasing so he refused to comply. Mour was sacked but Pogbas attitude didnt change until another player arrived who was instantly accepted by the fans, Bruno, and Pogbas position and influence was weakened. Ole and the club hoped he would become the player they hoped for which is why he wasnt put up for sale, they wanted some return on the 90 million quid.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This is a redux of the Becks versus United situation once again. People who idolise the player ahead of the club.
:lol: Yeh. I imagine the Caf would be like civil war, if internet was widespread like now.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
CanadianUtd - how can you be certain that it’s the clubs fault that we haven’t sold Pogba. What if Pogba is being difficult - making wage demands which no one would entertain ? This assumption wouldn’t be beyond reason as we have seen other Raiola clients walk away on Free’s as well.
Possible but unlikely I’d say. Why? We can only go off the information we know of. All credible reports, even this current summer, point to that United don’t want to sell him or have wanted a higher fee than what they have been offered. That’s United’s decision. If they really wanted Pogba gone as much as some fans say, then they’d simply accept and move on.

tjb

Ok that’s nice and all but doesn’t answer the question at hand of how it’s Pogba’s fault for his contract being at the stage that it is with United.
It's not. I dont think that's the point either. Pogba has every right to leave, as United have every right not to offer him ridiculous wages. However, Pogba allowing his agent and brother to disparage the club at every turn is not acceptable. If fans choose not to like Pogba due to this, in collation with his dissappointing performances, its their right. This saga has been going on since 2018, essentially for 3 of his 5 seasons at the club. In that time he has also been injured for extended periods, been part of one of the most destructive rows we've had at the club ( with Mourinho) and has generally provided a toxic attention towards the club. He may be a saint in the dressing room, but the type of pressure he has put on the club and Ole has not been worth it. Finally, and most importantly, United have never operated in that way. It's the reason we've barely had prima donna's at the club. It's part of our culture and Pogba's behaviour doesn't collate with that. A lot of our fans recognize that; our board has been concerned about retrieving the value his performances haven't justified which is why he's still here. Personally, I think he'd be better placed to thrive in a slower paced league where more time and space exists for him to perform those awesome passes and strong drives without having to encounter too much physicality. I've always felt, more than his attitude, the English game doesn't suit him and United's culture doesn't either. It's a bit like Zlatan at Barcelona in that sense. We have always been a club that promotes risk, high tempo, hardwork and professionalism. Teams like PSG and Real Madrid have always loved the superstar, player brand culture. Pogba doesn't suit ours, but he may suit theirs.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
United bought him to do a job; the managers job was to define that job, Pogbas job was to play as his manager wanted, but Pogba didnt like running and chasing so he refused to comply. Mour was sacked but Pogbas attitude didnt change until another player arrived who was instantly accepted by the fans, Bruno, and Pogbas position and influence was weakened. Ole and the club hoped he would become the player they hoped for which is why he wasnt put up for sale, they wanted some return on the 90 million quid.

Yes they did but don’t forget there was a project to be built around him. Pogba was never the single solution for all of United’s problems. Doesn’t help that the manager had a public vendetta with him.

A players attitude began changing once the club properly began surrounding not just him but the team with quality players to improve everyone? I’m shocked! :eek:

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
It's not. I dont think that's the point either. Pogba has every right to leave, as United have every right not to offer him ridiculous wages. However, Pogba allowing his agent and brother to disparage the club at every turn is not acceptable. If fans choose not to like Pogba due to this, in collation with his dissappointing performances, its their right. This saga has been going on since 2018, essentially for 3 of his 5 seasons at the club. In that time he has also been injured for extended periods, been part of one of the most destructive rows we've had at the club ( with Mourinho) and has generally provided a toxic attention towards the club. He may be a saint in the dressing room, but the type of pressure he has put on the club and Ole has not been worth it. Finally, and most importantly, United have never operated in that way. It's the reason we've barely had prima donna's at the club. It's part of our culture and Pogba's behaviour doesn't collate with that. A lot of our fans recognize that; our board has been concerned about retrieving the value his performances haven't justified which is why he's still here. Personally, I think he'd be better placed to thrive in a slower paced league where more time and space exists for him to perform those awesome passes and strong drives without having to encounter too much physicality. I've always felt, more than his attitude, the English game doesn't suit him and United's culture doesn't either. It's a bit like Zlatan at Barcelona in that sense. We have always been a club that promotes risk, high tempo, hardwork and professionalism. Teams like PSG and Real Madrid have always loved the superstar, player brand culture. Pogba doesn't suit ours, but he may suit theirs.
Thank you, maybe the only person to say so far! And great response as well, your own personal opinion of him. I generally agree with it.

marc1_007

If you believe the media, it seems like Luke Shaw is about to get a second contract extension in three years, Bruno is about to get extended less than two years after he signed for the club, numerous players have gotten contract extensions within the last six years since Pogba has been here, even Phil Jones has been extended but Pogba is still on his original contract going into his sixth year at the club. This is totally the clubs fault, they should have extended his contract or they should have sold him, so right now whatever he chooses to do, he is well within his rights.
I still believe he is the best player at the club, but I also believe that it is probably time to move on because it's just not working out for him here so sell him to PSG and go buy Saul Niguez to replace him and we're good to go.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
:lol: Yeh. I imagine the Caf would be like civil war, if internet was widespread like now.
It must be their hairstyles. Otherwise, they have nothing in common. Becks always loved the club and had always given his 100% every time he crossed the white line.
And did we even know who Beck's agent was? Shop steward Gary Neville?

Teja

I agree with you OP, we're obviously biased as United fans, but he was sold a rebuild and he pissed his best years down the drain as a result of how poorly run we were during that time. Anyone remember Agent Pogba? I wouldn't be surprised if he called Camavinga and told him not to sign given his experience here.

It's hard to not see the promise now - England in the Euro finals with Utd players playing a key part (Maguire, Shaw), Bruno and Cavani killing it, Sancho, Varane as incoming transfers.

If he still believes in us, then he should insist on a reasonable release clause (50-60M), have a fat sign-on clause for him and his agent and sign the damn contract. If the promise turns out to be false, then he's free to leave next year.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It must be their hairstyles. Otherwise, they have nothing in common. Becks always loved the club and had always given his 100% every time he crossed the white line.
I still blame SAF. Like you said, he always gave 100%, and never been on the ‘negative’ limelight. Becks was an integral part of United. His only ‘fault’ was he liked being famous.

But meh..SAF was a god. So it was an easy choice on who to side with.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I agree with you OP, we're obviously biased as United fans, but he was sold a rebuild and he pissed his best years down the drain as a result of how poorly run we were during that time. Anyone remember Agent Pogba? I wouldn't be surprised if he called Camavinga and told him not to sign given his experience here.

It's hard to not see the promise now - England in the Euro finals with Utd players playing a key part (Maguire, Shaw), Bruno and Cavani killing it, Sancho, Varane as incoming transfers.

If he still believes in us, then he should insist on a reasonable release clause (50-60M), have a fat sign-on clause for him and his agent and sign the damn contract. If the promise turns out to be false, then he's free to leave next year.
That’s a good point. Of course he does get paid well, but i agreed that he does waste his immense talent during United difficult period, imho.

tjb

Its not even close. Beckham had a lot of credit in the bank with the team. There were years, in some of our best seasons as a club, where Beckham was our best player. He was far more influencial at the time the Giggs and Scholes; with Keane and Van Nistelrooy being the only players at the time who could be considered better than him. He was a credit to the club on and off the pitch, so when this row with Fergie occured, no one could really fault Beckham's reaction despite the fact that Fergie's frustrations were understood.

Pogba came and imo was hyped to the moon due to the fact that he left United in the first place. I don't believe Pogba would ever have had that celebrity without United fans consistently going on about the one that got away. It's the reason why a lot of fans didn't know how he actually played, and were shocked during both the euros and by November 2016 when they realised that he wasn't the Yaya Toure regen they had been sold on. Anyone who knows anything about Italian football would understand that the midfield translation due to their heavy focus on keeping things central and playing with deeper defenses meant that Pogba had the time and space to drive, play beautiful passes and look physically dominant week in week out; with his position on the pitch not actually existing in the English game ( very similar to Veron). This need to find a position for him and the lack of quality in the team at the time, meant that Pogba was a much bigger focus and superstar than he was supposed to be. Which gave him the confidence to publicly reject playing in a deeper role in 17/18 ( where he had a fantastic first half of the season) and began the toxic warfare with Mourinho which divided the dressing room. This is when his agent and brother started spouting rubbish to the media, promoting more negative focus on United. In the derby, he even died his hair blue, some like to make it out to be naive, but that began a trend of Pogba and the team around him doing stunts that brought negative attention to the club with his fans claiming naivity. The hope was that Mourinho leaving would bring peace to the club, but the Pogba circus continued. United were weakest in the calender year 2019, and when United needed him, through injury and press releases from parties around him, Pogba wasn't there. In a club trying to rebuild and start a future team, Pogba was a key stumbling block, particularly in the first half of the 19/20 season. Yes he was seemingly injured, but the perception was that Pogba would never play for United again, and this when when his agent was loudest, criticizing the club both on and off the pitch with Pogba seemingly on the sideline saying nothing; showcasing his lack of care for the club to some. Then Bruno came and the impact was instant. He was proof that Pogba's average performances and poor leadership were not because of surrounding players, but rather weaknesses of his own. Since then, United haven't felt tied or even in need of Pogba and Pogba's team have been a bit more quiet and have been pushing more for an extension. 2 years ago, United would likely have paid Pogba what Raiola demanded, now United have the superstar talent and performers that allow Pogba look redundant. Pogba hasn't been a positive influence to the team in the time he's been here, Beckham clearly had an excellent impact and influence, so the fan reactions have been different and deservedly so.

ghagua

Point being......

He's not a catalyst. He's a passanger.

It might work for us now when we have catalyst players in the form of Bruno, but it didn't work for us when we needed one 5 years ago.

I'd rather he fecks off, nothing to do with him personally, i don't know the man.

It's just the amount of drama he brings to the club. Just look at all this topics and posts....
This a thousand times. I just wonder if people live in reality.

Bondi77

I still wonder why after he has always said he would love to play for Madrid that he did not go there instead of coming back to us. I am aware that we paid a fortune for him and Jabba the Hutt made a big fat commission but surely Madrid would not have been that far behind on the financial side of things.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Pogba the player = completely underwhelming over his stint at United. I'm not bothered if he leaves as he's not the foundation of the team. He's far from it and frankly he's never really showed he can be the player we thought we were getting for 90 million. So if he leaves its not the end of the world and he certainly shouldn't get paid any more for what he delivers at United. The OP is myopic.

Now on to the contract and his fee. United paid a fee and agreed a wage for him for the length of his contract. The business has worked the money and finance out and have decided that's within budgets. If he leaves and a fee comes in them great but I'm sure the business isn't hinging on him bringing in a fee. We've had him for the length of the contract we paid for if he stays one more year. Nothing wrong there.

The worst outcome here is if he stays on a new long term deal with massive pay increase.
He's not worth it.

ghagua

Oh boo fecking hoo. Can we please stop talking about this simple oaf? The man got offered an obscene amount of money and decided to apply his circus act in Manchester.

It did obviously not work out, mainly because his heart just isn’t in it. And now he wants to try it somewhere else, but no one in their right mind would pay the money he wants + the transfer fee. Especially not in these times.

So the man is stuck where he is, and will just run his contract down and take his chances next summer. End of story.
Exactly. Any smart club will not pay the wages he would likely ask for, forget about the transfer fee. If he had put his head down and performed like the player of his reputation, then it's fine if he leaves on a free at the end of his contract. He would have met his obligations, but he has not. He has also let his circus/mouthpieces slag off the club constantly.

He was a player who could have put the team on his shoulders and carried them, instead he has been sulking most of the time he has been here. Does anyone recall Roy Keane in 1999 against Juventus? He knew he would not play in the finals but he made sure the team got there with one of the greatest performances I have ever witnessed. He did not let his head drop, he carried the team.

Also, not to forget his agent was offering him to City before a game against them! This does not happen without the player's knowledge!.

Bobade

Not every player has the ability to carry a team to victory on his own shoulders though. It takes a certain kind of mentality to do that, it's not a bad thing if you can't. Just a different kind of player.

I have no issues with Pogba at all. He's been good for us. Not great, but good. Some of his performances have been excellent. I feel like a lot of the circus created around him has absolutely nothing to do with him at all.

To me he seems a good guy. Team mates seem to respect him. It's fully his right to see out his contract if that works best for him. What is the point in signing contracts if people assume you or the club shouldn't have to adhere to them?

This thread doesn't explain why it's ok for Pogba to run down his contract though. Of course it's OK for Pogba, and I didn't think that was up for debate until I opened this thread, but it isn't great for the club. Really hope we can either sell him or re-sign him. Preferably sell for me, but I wouldn't mind either way.

Strelok

No surprise for me to see the usual faces in the first page. A very nice effort to downplay the story and try to paint it all rosey :wenger:

Do you know why a player would get more money if he sign on a free? Because the club who sign him would have to pay less right? Which means the selling club losing money right? Does money grow on a tree? Hell no, the money the player would get more is simply the money the selling club is supposed to get by selling him. So by leaving on a free, the player in reality is simply stealing from his current club. Unless his sale value is zero.

A player is an asset of the club. Let's say you bought a horse for £100m. Now somehow the horse decides to run away to your neighbor. You simply lost your £100m. That horse get £50m from your neighbor because he would have to pay you £100m if he has to buy your horse. That £50m is simply your money. Should you be okay with both the fecking horse and your neighbor? They're fecking stealing from you and laughing their tits off all the fecking way.

Now as an United fan, we should and have to be okay with that? Well nice effort but please feck off with him.

Last edited:

Bobade

No surprise for me to see the usual faces in the first page. A very nice effort to downplay the story and try to paint it all rosey :wenger:

Do you know why a player would get more money if he sign on a free? Because the club who sign him would have to pay less right? Which means the selling club losing money right? Does money grow on a tree? Hell no, the money the player would get more is simply the money the selling club is supposed to get by selling him. So by leaving on a free, the player in reality is simply stealing from his current club. Unless his sale value is zero.

A player is an asset of the club. Let's say you bought a horse for £100m. Now somehow the horse decides to run away to your neighbor. You simply lost your £100m. That horse get £50m from your neighbor because he would have to pay you £100m if he has to buy your horse. That £50m is simply your money. Should you be okay with both the fecking horse and your neighbor? They're fecking stealing from you and laughing their tits off all the fecking way.

Now as an United fan, we should and have to be okay with that? Well nice effort but please feck off with him.
That analogy doesn't even come close to describing the situation here.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Let's say you bought a horse for £100m. Now somehow the horse decides to run away to your neighbor. You simply lost your £100m. That horse get £50m from your neighbor because he would have to pay you £100m if he has to buy your horse. That £50m is simply your money. Should you be okay with both the fecking horse and your neighbor? They're fecking stealing from you and laughing their tits off all the fecking way.
Bit early for drinking isn’t it?

Mainoldo

Except he isn't anymore. The thread is about Pogba running down his final year and deciding at some point during the season. Mata hasn't done that and is a peripheral figure with regard to playing time in any case.
Mate he ran his contract down last season. No one said nothing. I don’t make the rules which says it’s okay for some and not for others. Just pointing out the facts. You piped up like I’m saying something untrue.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Mate he ran his contract down last season. No one said nothing. I don’t make the rules which says it’s okay for some and not for others. Just pointing out the facts. You piped up like I’m saying something untrue.
Because no one cares about Mata. He's not going to fetch a transfer fee and was barely playing, whereas Pogba was playing and well (when he wasn't injured). Also Pogba's much younger, and much more of a salable asset. You don't make the rules but are you not capable of understanding the difference?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What if that game time gets us more points?
I'd prefer us getting in a proper CM (or two in) and getting a chemistry/combination going in that area of the pitch that can result in major trophies in a couple of years time. I don't see us winning the PL or CL next season with it without Pogba in the team so it feels a bit pointless to give him minutes. I could be wrong and maybe his contribution in the coming season could be hugely beneficial for us but ideally I want us to field players who have a medium to long term future here. Unless we have no other choice (for example Cavani last season as our only real CF).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Players not signing a new contract and moving on a free has happened quite a few times, it doesn't mean to the player is a terrible person.

Didn't you guys originally get Pogba for free from a French side who wanted him to stay but he didn't sign their contract?