Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
O'Shea certainly didn't. He was hard working and did the job he was asked to. Exactly like Wout.
Disagree, I think O’Shea was a higher quality player relative to his position than Weghorst.

Now let’s compare Weghorst to some of the other backup players we had in his position over the years when we were good - Dublin, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Forlan, Saha, Welbeck, Chicharito. He doesn’t come close bless him.

crossy1686

career ending
And has been fantastic for us so far.

Surely he is in first position per 90
As much as I love this, we're only a couple of losses on the bounce away from people saying "Can't wait to see Weghorst leading the pressing charts again :drool:"

It's like Maguire with the ball carries stats. They're great until you need something more.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Would anyone take him permanently for £10M as a squad option?
He has grown in me, but still no. I’d like to think we will have better squad options next season. But will always be grateful for his input

MadMike

You have to say he's our Firminho, crucial to the team but doesn't really score.
Yeah, no. Not like, even remotely close to make this comparison. Firminho has 78 goals and 54 assists in 247 EPL games for Liverpool. That’s better than a goal or assist every second game, over 7 years. If Wout was having such impact we’d be ecstatic.

He’s a likeable guy but you guys are losing your heads.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
He has grown in me, but still no. I’d like to think we will have better squad options next season. But will always be grateful for his input
I’ve just seen my type o. I’m gonna leave it though in the hope of being in the posts that feel sexual thread

SuperiorXI

Yeah, no. Not like, even remotely close to make this comparison. Firminho has 78 goals and 54 assists in 247 EPL games for Liverpool. That’s better than a goal or assist every second game, over 7 years. If Wout was having such impact we’d be ecstatic.

He’s a likeable guy but you guys are losing your heads.
I'm not talking about stats

georgipep

As much as I love this, we're only a couple of losses on the bounce away from people saying "Can't wait to see Weghorst leading the pressing charts again :drool:"

It's like Maguire with the ball carries stats. They're great until you need something more.
I don't think Weghorst is our ideal striker. But he has come to the club, gives his all every game and his team mates seem to respect his efforts. And to top it all, Ten Hag appreciates and values him. That's what matters.

Many of our "fans" abuse players and think they know better. I don't really care much about what they think.

TheGame

No.

He works hard and has a great attitude, but he doesn’t have the quality of a Manchester United player. A squad player shouldn’t be someone who puts a shift in and is happy to be here, he has to provide genuine competition to the 1st choice player so we can keep everybody on their toes.

I do feel glad for him though, him taking it all in shows how much it means for him, something he’ll have to tell his grandchildren about in his old age. And this was definitely one of his better games, by far.
Having a squad also involves having different options as well. You are not going to get 22 world class players. We’ve had plenty over the years who have worked well as squad players and Wout would be no different. This doesn’t negate any view that we have to sign a world class striker as a first choice.

SuperiorXI

Huh? So what where you talking about when you said Firminho doesn’t really score? Wasn’t it scoring stats?
I wasn't saying Firminho doesn't really score although he isn't known for being a goal scorer, I was talking about Weghorst; he doesn't score although he is crucial to the team. Same as Firminho, he occupied a similar position and was considered very important to the cohesion of the team despite not being clinical in front of goal.

MadMike

I wasn't saying Firminho doesn't really score although he isn't known for being a goal scorer, I was talking about Weghorst; he doesn't score although he is crucial to the team. Same as Firminho, he occupied a similar position and was considered very important to the cohesion of the team despite not being clinical in front of goal.
Firminho was crucial to the Liverpool team, not only because he was the foil for Salah and Mane. But also because he scored and assisted plenty while also doing the above. You just can’t leave that out of the total contribution of Firminho. He wasn’t just a workhorse like Wout. On his best season, in 17/18, he had 27 goals and 17 assists from 54 apps. Those are impressive numbers to go with the rest his contribution to Liverpool’s play. Numbers far above what Wout is capable of. The moment Firmnho stopped contributing enough in numbers to justify his position., he started getting dropped by Klopp.

Firminho was crucial to Liverpool. Weghorst isn’t crucial to us. We’re not really scoring more with him in the team than we are without. And if Martial was fit, Wout would be sitting on the bench.

It’s not a good comparison in my opinion. It flatters Weghorst way too much.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Weggy always puts in maximum effort, we all know that. We also know he's not a scoring machine but he's still an important dog in our machine, although on this glorious night I have to say I'd like to see him anticipate opportunity a little better than he does now. But this is a glorious night and let us drink from our cup!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Disagree, I think O’Shea was a higher quality player relative to his position than Weghorst.

Now let’s compare Weghorst to some of the other backup players we had in his position over the years when we were good - Dublin, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Forlan, Saha, Welbeck, Chicharito. He doesn’t come close bless him.
Solskjaer and Sheringham are the only backup players on your list

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You know what feck it, depending on the fee keep him. Not as first choice obviously but we're gonna need options. ETH clearly likes him so I reckon he'll want him to stay as well

CM

Would anyone take him permanently for £10M as a squad option?
Nah. Let's not get carried away with the tonic of winning a trophy. Weghorst works hard for the team but that's about all he offers.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was much better today to be fair.

But some of you are getting carried away wanting to keep him. I'd still let him go at the end.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Seeing him at the end looking up at the crowd by himself was pretty moving. I think he rightly must be thinking how the hell did I end up here, now? It's pretty endearing.

Sadly not much of a footballer, but that's okay for today.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He was much better today to be fair.

But some of you are getting carried away wanting to keep him. I'd still let him go at the end.
Perfectly understandable. We're a shower of kids that have got attached to the cute but lunatic puppy. Everyone knows he has to go. One of these days, Erik will tell us all he has to go to the farm and we'll pretend to believe him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
So pleased for him. His first professional trophy at age 30.

RedDevilQuebecois

His best performance by far, even though he didn't score. He really gave the Newcastle Ds a very tough time, and he links up with his teammates so well. That pass to Rashford for the second goal (OG, I know) was inch perfect. I now understand how and why coaches really love him.

Kaos

His best performance by far, even though he didn't score. He really gave the Newcastle Ds a very tough time, and he links up with his teammates so well. That pass to Rashford for the second goal (OG, I know) was inch perfect. I now understand how and why coaches really love him.
Rashford got awarded the goal so Wout has his assist.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He had a really good game today, did his job to perfection. Got an assist and came close to scoring. Seems a decent sort too and nice to see him win his first trophy. Having said all that, I still don’t think he has a future at United.

Malone_Post

I really do appreciate his effort and his hard work. And he does seem like a really good guy too. Seeing how giddy he was at full time and during the celebrations was lovely. And his teammates clearly love him.

But…he really isn’t very good. He’s nowhere near the level needed to be a Manchester United player. Even as second choice. He’s so slow and cumbersome. His lack of technical ability just stands off a mile and makes it very difficult to play sustained, quick, attacking football. He doesn’t hold the ball up that well & isn’t particularly good in the air, and never looks like scoring. We just look a far better team everytime he’s not on the pitch.

Irwin99

Should now be credited with an assist in a cup final and has helped our squad depth enormously. Obviously you'd like more of a goal return but i'm pleased with his contribution.

Robertd0803

Loved the bit post match where he was crouched down on the touchline taking it all in. Last few weeks must be a dream come through for him.

Winrar

What do you mean he's not good enough to play for us? He's won more trophies than Harry Kane.

just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.