5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Maybe that's what you're seeing mate but it isn't what I'm seeing. If Sancho had had 19 starts in a row like Weighorst has just had he'd have more goals and assists than Wout. He's already on the same amount of goals from about 1/4 of the starts since January.
Yeah for as much of a disappointment overall that Sancho has been, he brings a baseline level of technical quality that instantly makes him more valuable to an attack than Weghorst.

stevoc

Yeah for as much of a disappointment overall that Sancho has been, he brings a baseline level of technical quality that instantly makes him more valuable to an attack than Weghorst.
Indeed even in poor form he's at least on the same technical level as the rest of the team.

Scottynaldinho

I don't even understand what makes him lovable. Is it just that he's huge and so bad that it's like fans look at him like a baby horse just stumbling around and think he's cute? "Awe look how happy he is running about".

Christ the way fans talk about him you'd think he was a Make a Wish kid. "So happy for him!" "Love our Weggy, he's not the most gifted but he gives it his all!"
The fact that he's out of his depth and we signed him is not his issue. The very fact that he's giving everything on the pitch makes him lovable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Maybe that's what you're seeing mate but it isn't what I'm seeing. If Sancho had had 19 starts in a row like Weighorst has just had he'd have more goals and assists than Wout. He's already on the same amount of goals from about 1/4 of the starts since January.
Sancho would get 19 starts in a row if he played well and followed the managers instructions on and off the ball.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The fact that he's out of his depth and we signed him is not his issue. The very fact that he's giving everything on the pitch makes him lovable.
With all due respect , it tends to be the shitter spectrum of player that gives their all at big clubs. Again, no disrespect, but Park was not not the required standard of United footballer but he ran his arse off, was versatile and never complained. You guys loved him.

In regards to a striker, at this point he is a meme. Though I think your fans would much rather prefer a lazy cnut who will do nothing but give him the ball and he will make and score chances.

Siorac

If being likeable is the only prerequisite quality for a United striker these days why don’t we bring Mata back and pair him with Tom Hanks
Or just give me a contract. I'm a bloody delight and happy to do it for a measly 15k a week. Bargain.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
With all due respect , it tends to be the shitter spectrum of player that gives their all at big clubs. Again, no disrespect, but Park was not not the required standard of United footballer but he ran his arse off, was versatile and never complained. You guys loved him.

In regards to a striker, at this point he is a meme. Though I think your fans would much rather prefer a lazy cnut who will do nothing but give him the ball and he will make and score chances.
Think you're selling Park a bit short here. He wasn't the required standard for a starter, sure, but he played an important tactical role as a squad player and made an impact when called upon to do so. If Weghorst did that I wouldn't have a problem with his place in the squad.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Whatever you think of him it's clear the manager needs to remove him from the line of fire for a bit. There's too much scrutiny and criticism of him at the moment (justified or not) and it can't be helping matters.

Ghostrider318

In football usually when you're tall you're expected to be good at heading the ball. I dont remember him being an arial threat at all. Could be our lack of decent crossing as well

AFC NimbleThumb

These is exactly what I’ve been arguing.

19 starts for a loanee whilst other players are condemned to starts here & there seems off to me.

EtH played Tadic at CF so his sudden insistence on a body up front rings of hardheadedness, I like EtH a lot but you don’t die on a Wout hill.

stevoc

And followed the managers instructions being a key part of the sentence
Yeah I read the and mate. Saying Wout's been in the team 19 games in a row because he's played well and follows instructions implies he did the former and the latter. When it's clear for everyone to see Weghorst hasn't played well 19 games in a row. So following instructions shouldn't matter, plenty of players have been dropped because their performances weren't up to standard this season despite doing what they're told.

Also the entire premise is a bit of a strawman mate as you are assuming Sancho hasn't been following instructions.

Last edited:

stevoc

These is exactly what I’ve been arguing.

19 starts for a loanee whilst other players are condemned to starts here & there seems off to me.

EtH played Tadic at CF so his sudden insistence on a body up front rings of hardheadedness, I like EtH a lot but you don’t die on a Wout hill.
ETH has barely set a foot wrong since taking over in terms of man management. Everyone has to earn their place, play badly get dropped, play well stay in the team. Break his rules and it doesn't matter if you're Ronaldo or Rashford you get dropped.

But apparently this doesn't apply to Weghorst. Who's seemingly been undroppable regardless of his performances, even to the point where he's played out of position and infinitely more talented players are shunted around to accommodate him. To be honest it's been a bit bizarre to witness.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

That's absolute nonsense.

Irwin99

I think EtH is well aware that Wout is not offering nearly enough but he's hardly likely to insult his only fit striker by saying he's crap during a presser.

Martial will be in the team as first choice for that role if he can remain fit. Hopefully Weghorst will then just be a squad player here and there until the end of the season.

red.knight

I’m surprised Ten Hag sticking with a none scoring striker. I'd rather have Ronaldo who scores goals than Weghorst running around like a headless chicken. If he's not scoring he shouldn't be playing. Weghorst in 67 mins against Newcastle...1 shot on target and 5 touches...Source Opta Stats.

Djemba-Djemba

To be fair he can hardly say Wout is stinking up the place and making us worse, but I understand your sentiment
Yeah he's doing the right thing in defending the player.

I just really hope that's all it is, ETH is very smart. He must see how bad Weghorst is and how he's actually getting worse each game.

MadMike

Quite successful? The opposite is obviously true. Our league form worsened after Wout’s arrival. He joined on the 14th of Jan the day we beat City at home on our 20th league game. We were 3rd, 5p off City, 10p off Arsenal, 2p ahead of Newcastle and 7p ahead of Spurs after that game.

Wout started his first game in the draw against Palace. Since then, Wout has scored 0 goals in 9 league games, we took a bunch of horrible beatings where he (and others tbf) looked out of his depth, we’ve fallen 22p off Arsenal and 14p off City and are now level with Spurs who’s manager got sacked. Only saving grace has been cup runs which, let’s be honest, aside from the Barca draw have been extremely kind to us.

Look, I don’t expect and I would even want ETH to start shitting on Wout publicly. But if he’s responding to valid criticism of him with silly arse claims, it sends the wrong message to everyone. To the other players, it says that Wout is judged by a different measure than everyone else and that there’s favouritism. To Wout, either that he’s untouchable or that his torment will have no end (neither is good). To us, he’s starting to appear as a bit of an idiot over this.

Take Wout off the firing line pronto and play Martial or Sancho in his place. Cause losing the faith of players and fans and risking the sack is definitely not worth it over Wout. It’s the strangest hill to die on.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I don't even understand what makes him lovable. Is it just that he's huge and so bad that it's like fans look at him like a baby horse just stumbling around and think he's cute? "Awe look how happy he is running about".

Christ the way fans talk about him you'd think he was a Make a Wish kid. "So happy for him!" "Love our Weggy, he's not the most gifted but he gives it his all!"
Everyone loves an underdog, he is so out of his depth that in some way, he represents the concept of being an underdog

marcus agrippa

Sorry ... what? Comparing Park to Weghorst? Gimme a break!

Park: CL semifinalist with PSV before he joined us (ran a prime AC Milan close before getting knocked out); almost ALWAYS scored against Arsenal; unselfish player with a decent touch, an awareness of space, and most of all a team player. These are the characteristics of a squad player; you could rely on him to do a job (e.g. marking Pirlo out of a game in the CL), and never drop below a 7 in a game.

Weghorst ... need I say anything?

Don' t insult Three-Lungs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah I read the and mate. Saying Wout's been in the team 19 games in a row because he's played well and follows instructions implies he did the former and the latter.
Except thats not what I said. I said Sancho isn't in the team because hes both been rubbish and not followed the managers instructions.

Trezeguet17

:lol: :lol:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He should absolutely not start tonight. If EtH does play him I'll start having doubts about him too.

a 25% match fit martial is still better than Weg.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
2 goals in 21 games, the vast majority of which he has started. Zero in the PL.

Nowhere near good enough for this club and barely good enough for the league.

If ETH decides to chuck £15/20m on WW this summer then serious questions need to be asked of him.

rk4utd

A narrative has been developed to suggest that we ‘need’ weghorst as the side won’t function without him. I have been at all the games post weghorst and this side plainly does not function with him up top. Hiding behind statistics is prime time shielding and presenting the ‘truth’ in whichever way suits said narrative.

I don’t blame weghorst for not being able to do what a CF for an aspiring champs league team should be able to do. His skill set is based around his ‘work ethic’ and size. However, since the cup final I’ve noticed a definite decline in his pressing rate and I struggle to remember a player with such physical attributes being such a non-threat off set pieces and crosses etc.

He was signed to cover for martial and do a job. We know martial is highly likely to be unfit for part of the run in at least, but now he is fit he plays… no ifs or buts…..weghorst can come in for the last 10 minutes but he should not be starting.

Ten Hag is hardly likely to slag him off - nor should he as he was clearly a signing made for all the best intentions with the paucity of funds and time available to him. We were never going to sign a top class CF in January.

Gary Neville’s latest revisionism shows that he makes comments that are ultimately to get him as the top comment on sky sports news and should be treated as such. Took him 15+ years to acknowledge publicly the cancer to the club that is the Glazers….for that alone his comments are mute on all things United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Love the way moods change on players.
A few months ago he was everything Ronaldo wasn't, works hard, tackles back, great team player.

30 or so games on, and a couple of tap ins, people have remembered a striker scoring a few goals might actually help :drool:

padzilla

Hipster
If Weghorst starts tonight and United don't win then it will be the first time I start to wonder about ETH being the right man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.