Wout Weghorst - Manchester United Player (on loan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I’m still not seeing many names thrown about who we could have signed instead. Felix, who isn’t a striker and was pointlessly expensive, doesn’t count.

He didn’t look great but he did look ok. Will he come in useful before the end of the season? Probably.
There are people whose jobs is supposed to be just that. If a caftard cannot come up with a name, it doesn't mean the player doesn't exist

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He looks to slow and nothing special but to early to write off.
He definitely is nothing special. He is also clearly not the first choice, I think it's safe to assume ETH wanted Felix or whoever else, but we are skint.

He is a budget version of whatever we wanted, and he plays like a budget version. I thought he did OK. He leads the line in attack and occupies defenders what creates space for Bruno, does the simple and predictable things right. I thought he won the ball a couple of times (tackle/forced an error). Palace were doing remarkably well to beat our pressing though.

This team shape looks better with a striker no doubt, we just need to survive this season with Wout and half fit Martial (who will be first choice whenever fit).

Jeffthered

Didn’t have a lot of service. Can’t really judge any striker off that team performance.
My thoughts exactly. We have a sputtering attack at best, and this guy did OK yesterday. He's an option, and has played all of one game! I have no problem with him whatsoever. Too many United 'skillful' forwards who are doing nothing. Martial. Sancho. Antony. Not one, but three attacking players at Manchester United doing nothing.

That's our problem.

Lyng

I didn't even know you could be a professional football player without being able to run.
He did run though. He did a ton of pressing and his link up and hold up play was sorely missed when he went of. We completely lost composure and control.
Rashford like he played yesterday is the antithesis of what a Ten Hag number 9 needs to be.

Rockets Redglare

We looked a lot worse when he went off, which is the same as when we play Martial who also gets constantly criticised.

Having someone who can lead the line makes a big difference, even if they aren’t necessarily involved in every move.

Lyng

We looked a lot worse when he went off, which is the same as when we play Martial who also gets constantly criticised.

Having someone who can lead the line makes a big difference, even if they aren’t necessarily involved in every move.
Yup. Its pretty clear that Ten Hags asks his 9 to do different things than simply be in the box and score.

Laurencio

Weghorst is the kind of player you throw on the last 20 mins when we are chasing a goal. Should never be a starter in the league but only in the FA Cup and Europa League.,
Normally I would agree when it comes to a 6 foot 6, but he was really bad in his aerial duels. I'm not sure how useful he would be in that role. His movements are very good, he drags defenders well and can hold up reasonably well when the ball is played at his feet, but he plays like a 5 foot 6 striker in a slow lumbering 6 foot 6 body. Might just be bad form, but it wasn't a great debut.

Early days still, but that lack of pace and poor aerial ability was certainly not great to see. Since we kept playing it long it doesn't seem like we were all that aware of that when we brought him in either. If he had been a yard or two quicker off the mark he probably would have had a goal or two in the first half, Casemiro and Eriksen had some wonderful through balls for him early on.

He should have stayed on all match though, because despite not being up for it, he kept their defense busy.

BuzzKillington

There are people whose jobs is supposed to be just that. If a caftard cannot come up with a name, it doesn't mean the player doesn't exist
People at every Premier League club have that job and a lot of them are having similar issues to ourselves. There are better strikers out there, but even if you disregard the cost for a moment, were they available now?

I’m not even convinced the issue will be resolved satisfactorily in the summer as the big money names mentioned so far come with issues as well (Kane - age, Osimhen - meh for the money Napoli will want).

Ten Hag (correctly/incorrectly, I don’t want to derail the thread) prioritised RW in the summer and that’s where we spent our cash despite the fact you could see this issue coming even then.

I’m not convinced Weghorst will score a lot of goals for us, but once he settles in I’m confident he’ll serve a purpose of being a link up man up front and he’ll help out our overall game in terms of pressing high up the pitch. The other touted options (Memphis/Felix) probably wouldn’t have even provided that.

As an aside It’s endlessly frustrating for me that potentially one of the best young strikers in Europe is on our books and is deservedly kicking his heels at home because he couldn’t stop himself from being a cnut. We really shouldn’t be having this problem.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People at every Premier League club have that job and a lot of them are having similar issues to ourselves. There are better strikers out there, but even if you disregard the cost for a moment, were they available now?

I’m not even convinced the issue will be resolved satisfactorily in the summer as the big money names mentioned so far come with issues as well (Kane - age, Osimhen - meh for the money Napoli will want).

Ten Hag (correctly/incorrectly, I don’t want to derail the thread) prioritised RW in the summer and that’s where we spent our cash despite the fact you could see this issue coming even then.

I’m not convinced Weghorst will score a lot of goals for us, but once he settles in I’m confident he’ll serve a purpose of being a link up man up front and he’ll help out our overall game in terms of pressing high up the pitch. The other touted options (Memphis/Felix) probably wouldn’t have even provided that.

As an aside It’s endlessly frustrating for me that potentially one of the best young strikers in Europe is on our books and is deservedly kicking his heels at home because he couldn’t stop himself from being a cnut. We really shouldn’t be having this problem.
There are always players available in general. The market is huge but extremely competitive and difficult. It takes a highly competent football direction to find the right players at the right time for "decent" prices. Tough job but still doable

cyril C

Should have just paid up for Felix.
Felix is 6 foot what?

Beside, Felix publicly stated that he is never a #9, a #10 instead. If we are going to sell Bruno then perhaps Felix would be a decent replacement.

cyril C

Early Ighalo actually did OK, scored a decent handful of goals. If Weigy matches that we'll be ok.
A striker on loan from Burnley, a relegated team. isn't that the same level as Ighalo? Or people think we are getting Lewandoski on bargain?

I think he did OK as a #9. Better service might bring in more goals but obviously he is not going to score without service.

simplyared

Obviousy we've taken him on going on his performance against Argentina which now is looking like a one-off. Also the fact he's Dutch as is our manager. A slow, lethargic old fashoined centre forward with no skills is certainly not what we want.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some very awful takes in here this morning :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why do I see posts about how slow he was? We all knew van weghorst was never the quickest and looked awkward (natural due to his height).

Judas

Open to offers
Obviousy we've taken him on going on his performance against Argentina which now is looking like a one-off. Also the fact he's Dutch as is our manager. A slow, lethargic old fashoined centre forward with no skills is certainly not what we want.
Says who? Classic nonsense posted as if it’s fact.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Felix is 6 foot what?

Beside, Felix publicly stated that he is never a #9, a #10 instead. If we are going to sell Bruno then perhaps Felix would be a decent replacement.
A 10 that never plays as a 10.

Wheato

We completely lost our shape when Weghorst went off. I think it actually changed the game, because Bruno on the right never works, and Rashford can't play with his back to goal and 3 defenders surrounding him. Weghorst might not have had the touches we expected, but he was dragging their defence out of position, creating space for the others. They couldn't leave him because of his height in the box. When he went off, Palace were quite comfortable in winning balls in their half. We couldn't win or keep the ball in forward positions.

Son

I barely knew who this guy was when he signed apart from one game in the WC. One Argentina should have won easily I might add.

We get what we pay for when the club can’t afford what is obviously needed to mount a title challenge.

Owners like City’s would have brought in a world class striker plain and simple. That’s the difference between both clubs for the past 10 years even without Pep.

Hopefully this changes with our new owners.

Chinchy98

Didn't think he was great - if anything thought he was okay, but his lack of pace was worrying.

Super small sample size, but I thought Martial is the better of the 2 at linking play, yes Tony isn't going to bag you 30+ goals a season as he is never fit (I've got a sneaking suspicion that he has been playing the last couple of months carrying some injuries)

But what cannot be denied is that Rashford cannot play the #9, we lose all shape off the ball, City in the 2nd half was case in point, the #9 under Ten Hag would appear to be a nuanced role in this united side. Martial > Weghorst > Rashford in the #9 as a pecking order me thinks

Early days yet, but the notion that we will have picked up even a squad option player for so little in terms of outlay is fanciful. Played at Burnley and did very little, has gone to Turkey and done okay, not exactly pulling up trees. Interesting to see how this plays out

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
ETH maybe fancies he can make something of him? Wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Herman Toothrot

Yeah, there's a thread about our tired midfielders, but I think it's more to do with losing that pressing striker. That said, there will be games like last night, we've been on an amazing run and there's no need for an inquest just yet.

Rockets Redglare

Yeah, there's a thread about our tired midfielders, but I think it's more to do with losing that pressing striker. That said, there will be games like last night, we've been on an amazing run and there's no need for an inquest just yet.
Definitely, and let’s be honest a point at Palace is hardly a bad result. We’ve lost 1 in 20, still in all the cups and we’re looking great for top 4.

MegadrivePerson

I'm not writing him off based on one game. It's based on his entire career! He was non existent for Burnley last season!

It was the same when we signed Ighalo.

These sort of stop gap signings almost never work.

It's so frustrating because signing a striker that we know is average at best vs signing a good striker could be the difference between winning the title this season. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Played with his back to goal and kept the ball well. Kept finding his teammates. Dragged defenders out of position for the goal and generally has that down in his skillset. Doesn't seem that physical and sorely lacks pace. Half way between Ighalo and Cavani.

Herman Toothrot

I'm not writing him off based on one game. It's based on his entire career! He was non existent for Burnley last season!

It's so frustrating because signing a striker that we know is average at best vs signing a good striker could be the difference between winning the title this season. It just feels like a missed opportunity.
Judging him by a very brief spell at Burnley while ignoring his more recent spell at Besiktas is hardly judging him based on his entire career.

Given we are for sale, overspent in the summer and have maxed out our credit card, who would you have brought in that would have sealed the title for us?

Weghorst is what he is. Not the best choice out there, but was attainable given the circumstances we can't pretend don't exist.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You know his career didn't start at Burnley though, right? Cause if you go by 'entire career', you'd probably want to start with him doing really well at Wolfsburg and being totally ready for a step up.

That's the tiring thing about the Burnley comments. He decided to make a step down from Wolfsburg instead to have a chance to play in the EPL - but Burnley turned out to be a side that really doesn't suit his style and hence had miserable time there. (He probably should have realized that beforehand, but anyway!) So now he gets labelled as a guy who couldn't even hack it at a relegation club and isn't wanted in the Championship, which is so devoid of context that it's simply nonsense.

Edit: Which isn't to say he's brilliant, just that his Burnley spell doesn't define him. At all.

Last edited:

tenhag kicks

Have a little faith. First goal was probably a direct result of his run. He will come in handy at times.

MegadrivePerson

Judging him by a very brief spell at Burnley while ignoring his more recent spell at Besiktas is hardly judging him based on his entire career.

Given we are for sale, overspent in the summer and have maxed out our credit card, who would you have brought in that would have sealed the title for us?

Weghorst is what he is. Not the best choice out there, but was attainable given the circumstances we can't pretend don't exist.
You know his career didn't start at Burnley though, right? Cause if you go by 'entire career', you'd probably want to start with him doing really well at Wolfsburg and being totally ready for a step up.

That's the tiring thing about the Burnley comments. He decided to make a step down from Wolfsburg instead to have a chance to play in the EPL - but Burnley turned out to be a side that really doesn't suit his style and hence had miserable time there. (He probably should have realized that beforehand, but anyway!) So now he gets labelled as a guy who couldn't even hack it at a relegation club and isn't wanted in the Championship, which is so devoid of context that it's simply nonsense.

Edit: Which isn't to say he's brilliant, just that his Burnley spell doesn't define him. At all.
Yes I'm aware that he only moved to Burnley twelve months ago.

You both seem to have completely missed the point though. The reason that Burnley were the biggest club to come in for him last January and then Besiktas were the biggest club to move for him in the summer are because that's his level now.

All this talk about not being able to buy because we are for sale is inaccurate also. Liverpool are for sale and have mysteriously managed to sign Cody Gakpo. I accept that we somewhat overspent in the summer but there should still be enough room to buy a Gakpo level of player.

It's frustrating because against all odds we have a chance to win the league this season and I think the lack of buying an adequate striker will be the difference. Considering how competitive the Premier league is becoming, chances to actually win it will be few and far between.

captaincantona

What’s frustrating is that we are so inept generally in the transfer market. We overpaid for Antony and in reality Casemiro so we just don’t have the funds for a striker. We also overpaid for Martinez considering what he was available for when we were pursuing ETH - €35million to Arse allegedly.

This has led to us not having the funds to fill the other gaping holes in the squad: striker/back up CDM.

wage caps, flogging Maguire/McT/Telles, and chasing Malacia type gems will hopefully get us back in the right direction. In saying that - the lack of top strikers out there means we will end up paying €100 million to solve the striker issue.

Chairman Steve

How can we judge a man who’s probably only had one or two training sessions with us? He’s a better player than Ighalo in my opinion and he had a pretty decent scoring record in European teams apart from the 6 months he joined a Burnley side on the decline.

Herman Toothrot

Played with his back to goal and kept the ball well. Kept finding his teammates. Dragged defenders out of position for the goal and generally has that down in his skillset. Doesn't seem that physical and sorely lacks pace. Half way between Ighalo and Cavani.
Yeah, he looked like he was running in treacle. My biggest concern.

Yes I'm aware that he only moved to Burnley twelve months ago.

You both seem to have completely missed the point though. The reason that Burnley were the biggest club to come in for him last January and then Besiktas were the biggest club to move for him in the summer are because that's his level now.

All this talk about not being able to buy because we are for sale is inaccurate also. Liverpool are for sale and have mysteriously managed to sign Cody Gakpo. I accept that we somewhat overspent in the summer but there should still be enough room to buy a Gakpo level of player.

It's frustrating because against all odds we have a chance to win the league this season and I think the lack of buying an adequate striker will be the difference. Considering how competitive the Premier league is becoming, chances to actually win it will be few and far between.
I'd agree that's his level. That's why he's six-month loan which will be full time of time on the sidelines.

The Liverpool comparison is as disingenuous as you're summary of his career. Did Liverpool spend way beyond their budget in the summer? They didn't, did they?

So let's hear it. Who could we have signed in January to seal the title? It certainly wasn't Cody Gakpo.

I can't really believe you think this is Ten Hag's best chance to win the league. Trust me, we're going to get better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.