SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The virus has a 2 week incubation period. It's very possible that they were infected before being quarantined to their rooms.
2-14 days though. Could have treated people before symptoms began showing.

Just think about it. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people infected by a "deadly" virus contained in a confined area that isn't a hospital. Its fecking stupid.

That said, if there are no casualties, it worked.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

What would the treatment be?
Not entirely certain how patients are being treated. But I imagine its about controlling the fever and not letting it get to the pneumonia stage - which seems to be causing most deaths.

2-14 days though. Could have treated people before symptoms began showing.

Just think about it. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people infected by a "deadly" virus contained in a confined area that isn't a hospital. Its fecking stupid.

That said, if there are no casualties, it worked.
It's the best option. Where else are they going to quarantine 3500 people? You cant just shove them in any old hospital full of other sick people, they need isolation facilities. They've already got them in individual rooms, with no risk of escape, why move them? Fecking stupid would be bringing them into the middle of one of the worlds most heavily populated cities.

Di Maria's angel

It's the best option. Where else are they going to quarantine 3500 people? You cant just shove them in any old hospital full of other sick people, they need isolation facilities. They've already got them in individual rooms, with no risk of escape, why move them? Fecking stupid would be bringing them into the middle of one of the worlds most heavily populated cities.
Send them back to their respective countries. The US flew their citizens back home recently.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So, stupid question time, why dont the Chinese outlaw these live markets? How big of a deal would that be?
If you know anything about the eating habits of mainland Chinese, you’d know it’s impossible.
They consider many things as delicacies.

Giggs86

Aren't those wet markets that sell unregulated wild animals for consumption illegal as it is in China? I think it's just a matter of enforcement, or the lack of. Until now at least.

mu4c_20le

Read an article a few days ago that said they are still serving bat in Palau, the little island where that chinese influencer filmed herself eating it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Read an article a few days ago that said they are still serving bat in Palau, the little island where that chinese influencer filmed herself eating it.
We eat bats in indonesia. Not me but some do

Japanese eat eels. Snakes. Etc.

It just happens, this time it's bat, last time it's swine, sars was poultry?

Nothing wrong with eating animals. For covid to happen took more than eating bats

Tarrou

A friend of mine is a doctor in Melbourne, she said they had one bloke come in claiming he caught the virus off his Mrs, who is Chinese. She hadn’t been to China for three years though :lol:

So, stupid question time, why dont the Chinese outlaw these live markets? How big of a deal would that be?
They are supposed to be clean and the trade of wildlife is illegal, but as with many things in China if you know or pay the right people, you can get away with it.

They clamped down on a lot of things after SARS, i expect the same will happen after this too.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They are supposed to be clean and the trade of wildlife is illegal, but as with many things in China if you know or pay the right people, you can get away with it.

They clamped down on a lot of things after SARS, i expect the same will happen after this too.
They’ll clamp down for a while, until they relax things which leads to the next outbreak

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Not entirely certain how patients are being treated. But I imagine its about controlling the fever and not letting it get to the pneumonia stage - which seems to be causing most deaths.
That wouldn't be treating patients before symptoms came on, though...

Di Maria's angel

That wouldn't be treating patients before symptoms came on, though...
Well you can have the virus without showing any symptoms but I'm not sure what, if any, form of treatment is available for those patients. Still far better than keeping them on that ship.

Two have died... could possibly have been avoided.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I would take the deaths being reported in China with a grain of NaCl. In some weeks we will have a better understanding of the mortality rate of this disease on average, people at risk and among healthy people.
People I know (Taiwan) with family in China are saying deaths are way more than the government reports. Besides China will never shutdown an entire province because a "few deaths" causing losses of billions of dollars if is not serious. China knows what is there killing all this people and maybe they learn a lesson, for me is man made.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Well you can have the virus without showing any symptoms but I'm not sure what, if any, form of treatment is available for those patients. Still far better than keeping them on that ship.

Two have died... could possibly have been avoided.
If you don’t have symptoms, it’s unlikely you’re going to seek treatment unless the entire world population is screened. Not going to happen, especially not for something as short lived as a virus, which are prone to rapid change.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Seems to be a bit of an Outbreak going on in Iran.

DUBAI: Iranian health officials urged all religious gatherings to be suspended in Qom, news agency ISNA said on Thursday (Feb 20), after two more people tested positive for the coronavirus in the holy city, where two died of it this week.

In all, three more people had tested positive for the virus, an Iranian health ministry spokesman said.

"Two people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Qom and one person in Arak, bringing the total of confirmed cases to five in Iran," spokesman Kianush Jahanpur said in a tweet.
Jahanpur said all patients were Iranian and the person in the central city of Arak was a doctor from Qom, the semi-official news agency ISNA reported.

None of the people who were diagnosed with coronavirus were known to have travelled to China or were in contact with anyone who had gone there, Mohammad Mehdi Gouya, the head of the centre for the management of communicable diseases at Iran's ministry of health, said on Thursday, according to the IRIB news agency.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...s-covid19-religious-gatherings-cases-12455638

Also:

Some woman in South Korea infected 30 members of her cult, ignoring Doctors advice to self-quarantine after testing positive for the virus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51572137

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Seems to be a bit of an Outbreak going on in Iran.

Also:

Some woman in South Korea infected 30 members of her cult, ignoring Doctors advice to self-quarantine after testing positive for the virus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51572137
None of the people in Iran who tested positive had been to China, or been in contact with anyone who’d come from China? Well it must have been brought in somehow

None of the people in Iran who tested positive had been to China, or been in contact with anyone who’d come from China? Well it must have been brought in somehow

I'm joking of course, but im sure there are some who will think this

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
That suggests it's been there longer than they know, or they could have been trying to stop the news getting out.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That suggests it's been there longer than they know, or they could have been trying to stop the news getting out.
Or that they *puts tinfoil hat on* aren't suffering from coronavirus but something else, but that the government use it to keep people in check/quarantine.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Or that they *puts tinfoil hat on* aren't suffering from coronavirus but something else, but that the government use it to keep people in check/quarantine.
That might not be too mad a suggestion, Iran are holding parliamentary elections today though it's expected the current regime would receive a boost in voters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51570725

If it's true there are people in Iran with the virus and not started showing symptoms though it could be a breeding ground for transmitting the virus with millions expected to turn out for the voting.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That might not be too mad a suggestion, Iran are holding parliamentary elections today though it's expected the current regime would receive a boost in voters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51570725

If it's true there are people in Iran with the virus it could be a breeding ground for transmitting the virus though with millions expected to turn out for the voting.
Yeah I just saw that. I know shit all about Iranian politics so have no idea whether anyone would actually gain from any conspiracy stuff.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I just got a txt from nhs uk advising if it’d been in contact with anyone from the infected areas and am feeling unwell to contact 111

Fosu-Mens

People I know (Taiwan) with family in China are saying deaths are way more than the government reports. Besides China will never shutdown an entire province because a "few deaths" causing losses of billions of dollars if is not serious. China knows what is there killing all this people and maybe they learn a lesson, for me is man made.

Some political, societal and economic reasons as for why China might be misrepresenting their numbers regarding infected and deceased.

Some weeks before we have enough reliable (assumed) data from western countries to make a more qualified verdict regarding the mortality and contagiousness of the virus.