WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

King Eric 7

Piers Morgan provides a safe space to all the utter scumbags of this world. Not surprised his channel is filled with comments critical of pretty much everyone except Rubiales.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Glad that he has finally resigned and hopefully things can move on. Its a shame that this has overshadowed their win in a lot of ways. Hopefully with him going, we can go back to focusing on their actual WWC win.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Piers Morgan provides a safe space to all the utter scumbags of this world. Not surprised his channel is filled with comments critical of pretty much everyone except Rubiales.
He just serves the demand of the mob. If nobody would watch him, his channel wouldn't exist.

redNATION

He should have racially abused someone instead (Vinicius seems to be a favourite in Spain so maybe him), there would have been a fraction of the outrage, forgotten very quickly and he’d still be in a job.

OmarUnited4ever

I can't wait for Piers to go away. How this clown keeps getting these interviews is beyond me. In fact - if he s doing the interview I already assume no one else wanted to take you serious so you may as well say admit to being wrong in whatever pitty show you're trying to put on.
He gets these because they think he is a "friendly" towards them and won't have to answer difficult questions.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I can't wait for Piers to go away. How this clown keeps getting these interviews is beyond me. In fact - if he s doing the interview I already assume no one else wanted to take you serious so you may as well say admit to being wrong in whatever pitty show you're trying to put on.
Piers will likely be batting for him for months now, the same way he turned into a massive Ronaldo fanboi after doing one interview with him.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Says a lot about Rubiales that he couldn’t just release a statement and resign. He wanted all the attention he could get until the end. Narcissistic behaviour throughout the whole case.

Very hypocritical of him to speak about how disappointing it is that all this has unfairly taken the attention from the main thing which is the team winning the World Cup - and then going on Piers fecking Morgan’s interview to release the big news about himself.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
He should have racially abused someone instead (Vinicius seems to be a favourite in Spain so maybe him), there would have been a fraction of the outrage, forgotten very quickly and he’d still be in a job.
Should have indulged in racial abuse instead?! What an odd and troubling way to come at this. Why work to imagine a scenario whereby Rubiales hangs on to his job (as it happens, I don't see how an instance of racial abuse would've resulted in a different outcome) and the Spanish players get denied the possibility of the progress they want? I think Rubiales should've outed himself in public as a boor much earlier than he did. Ask Hermoso and her teammates if they're unhappy he's gone.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This totally got out of hand, the man's an idiot.

I'm sure all he had to do, as soon as it became an issue, was to apologise profusely, say that he was totally overcome by winning the World Cup and his emotions got the better of him.
Exactly. But I guess that's not his personality. Ultimately it's a good thing it got in the way (again) I guess!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The players refuse to go to the national team.
They demand the following changes in the Federation

- Resignation of the president
- Restructuring of the organisation chart of women's football
- Restructuring of the cabinet of the presidency and general secretariat
- Restructuring of the communication and marketing department
- Restructuring of the Integrity Directorate

Claudia Zornoza and Athenea del Castillo are the only ones who have not signed the comunicado of the 23 World Champions.

Schmeichel=God

Claudia Zornoza and Athenea del Castillo are the only ones who have not signed the comunicado of the 23 World Champions.
That seems like rather a lot of restructuring to request.

What I think is crazy is that requests were made to have Rubiales' assets frozen and have him check in with a court every two weeks. To me that's insane. May as well take a testicle.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
That seems like rather a lot of restructuring to request.

What I think is crazy is that requests were made to have Rubiales' assets frozen and have him check in with a court every two weeks. To me that's insane. May as well take a testicle.
Replacing the president is not that simple, and in any case it is already planned and has to be ready for next year when the World Cup venue is decided.
The rest, I think they have to explain it, personally I don't know what their complaint is about each department except for the communications department, which invented some words from Jenni Hermoso, in which she excused Rubiales.
Apparently, beyond the comunicado it is said that they are not satisfied with Montse Tomé, the new coach and who was the second coach.
It is also said that they are quite involved with a union called futpro.
Let them explain themselves better, let them change everything necessary in the federation but I would also like the highest sanction for all of them, disqualification.

Lightbringer

Replacing the president is not that simple, and in any case it is already planned and has to be ready for next year when the World Cup venue is decided.
The rest, I think they have to explain it, personally I don't know what their complaint is about each department except for the communications department, which invented some words from Jenni Hermoso, in which she excused Rubiales.
Apparently, beyond the comunicado it is said that they are not satisfied with Montse Tomé, the new coach and who was the second coach.
It is also said that they are quite involved with a union called futpro.
Let them explain themselves better, let them change everything necessary in the federation but I would also like the highest sanction for all of them, disqualification.
She was at the meeting where Hermoso and a few other players tried to persuade Rubiales to fire coach Vilda immediately behind his back, and she either was neutral or loyal to Vilda. And she was also at the meeting where the players tried to make Vilda changes his coaching ways to please the players, which was also denied this time by Vilda.

So the players feel like the new female coach probably should be sacked and lose her job because she did not agree or support them in their coup to have Vilda removed via Rubiales!

Last edited:

Lightbringer

The judge denied Hermosos request that Rubiales would need to report every 14 days and give up his passport as he could be a flight risk. With Rubiales power & money I imagine he could fly out of spain with a private jet if he really wants to avoid justice anyways! Not sure it would be worth it even for maximum sentence of 4 years though?

If Rubiales would be convicted of sexual assault and jailed for 4 years, could he get out in advance if he behaves well in prison in Spain or would 4 years mean 4 years, nothing less?

Last edited:

VanKenny

They've created a monster.

The judge denied Hermosos request that Rubiales would need to report every 14 days and give up his passport as he could be a flight risk. With Rubiales power & money I imagine he could fly out of spain with a private jet if he really wants to avoid justice anyways! Not sure it would be worth it even for maximum sentence of 4 years though?

If Rubiales would be convicted of sexual assault and jailed for 4 years, could he get out in advance if he behaves well in prison in Spain or would 4 years mean 4 years, nothing less?
Its laughable to even bring up the possibility of jailtime to this discussion. Media's biggest achievement is to make people lose all trace of common sense and convince them to see things in either black or white. Good step towards totalitarianism

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
They havent created a monster at all. Whats happened is that finally after decades of mismanagement and misogyny we are seeing changes that should have happened a long time ago. Media havent convinced anyone of anything. These problems have existed for a long time. Totalitarianism??? Seriously, this is exactly the opposite of totalitarianism. Whats gone before was totalitarianism, dictatorial leadership that required subservience from the women players. A large group of people wanting restructures and change is not totalitarianism.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its laughable to even bring up the possibility of jailtime to this discussion. Media's biggest achievement is to make people lose all trace of common sense and convince them to see things in either black or white. Good step towards totalitarianism
Sorry, what exactly is leading to totalitarianism here?

Goalfather

Upon reviewing the video, the interaction appears entirely consensual and non-sexual. It was more of a brief peck on the lips than forced French kiss, following a shared embrace. The gesture concluded with a friendly pat on her back, and she departed with a smile.

The entire exchange took less than five seconds.

Yet, what ensued can best be described as a political vendetta. My sentiments towards the Spanish FA have always been reserved, especially regarding the men's team. However, I did rally behind the women's team in the final. The controversy that emerged post-final has left a sour taste in my mouth.

It's becoming apparent that certain narratives are being deliberately shaped to deepen divisions. It seems pro-feminist factions aim to leverage this incident to push their agenda, seeking as many concessions and changes as possible. Within the Spanish FA, it's evident that there are factions aligned against Rubiales, viewing this situation as an opportune moment to unseat him.

While Rubiales is very likely a skunt and perhaps should be moved, this particular incident has been handled reeks of politics

My broader worry lies in the trajectory of our civic dialogue. The trend appears to be a shift from moderate, reasoned discussion towards more extreme viewpoints. Society is drifting from time-honoured principles of objectivity and the presumption of innocence, veering towards mob mentality and conformist thinking. It's perplexing that in an age with vast information at our disposal, independent thought seems to be dwindling.

In what sane society, that operates under a presumption of innocence, would an interaction like this result in the possible loss of freedom of even a day's duration? There is little wonder that cretins like Andrew Tate, Donald Trump and Piers Morgan are gaining more influence every day.

Sounds like an alliance has been formed and the power-grab is in full sway

And the sheer insanity of it is now being normalized. She left the interaction with a big grin on her face and now she wants a restraining order of a half km and for the guy to surrender his passport!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You are right, they have created a monster but it's Rubiales and his mob who created it so he has only himself to blame

And again, as has been said umpteen times in this thread, the kiss was a trigger but is not actually the main issue here - it's the idiotic way the fall out was handled by the Spanish FA plus historic issues that leads us to this point

cafecillos

In what sane society, that operates under a presumption of innocence, would an interaction like this result in the possible loss of freedom of even a day's duration? There is little wonder that cretins like Andrew Tate, Donald Trump and Piers Morgan are gaining more influence every day.

Sounds like an alliance has been formed and the power-grab is in full sway

And the sheer insanity of it is now being normalized. She left the interaction with a big grin on her face and now she wants a restraining order of a half km and for the guy to surrender his passport!
All in this stupid self-quoting post has been refuted before, but I don't want to let it go unanswered:
1) "Society" doesn't operate under a presumption of innocence. It's a procedural guarantee in criminal procedures.
2) He's not going to prison, and you know that. You just want to be outraged.
3) Yes, there are bad eggs on both sides: Hermoso, Tate, etc.
4) "Power grabs" are the norm in Spanish football, and very especially in the Spanish FA. Were you so outraged at previous "power grabs"?
5) I have no idea what is being normalised, and the request was denied by the judge. It's in the post you quoted.
6) Her immediate reaction is irrelevant, and this point in particular has probably been explained literally more than 30 times in this thread, which makes it extremely difficult to believe that this is being argued in good faith on page 106 of the thread. For someone who cares so much about "civic dialogue" you don't seem to know what "dialogue" means.

Lightbringer

Athenea Del Castillo has abondoned the Spain players efforts to clean house at the federation.

Athenea Del Castillo STATEMENT

"I totally agree, as my teammates have already expressed, in denouncing what happened with Jenni Hermoso and in pointing out the behavior" "That is why I signed a statement along with 80 other footballers in which we condemned the events and in which I stated that I would not go to the National Team if Rubiales continued" "

Rubiales and Vilda are no longer in the RFEF. Given the proximity of the Nations League dispute and taking into account that an important part of our demands have been satisfied, I do not contemplate giving up the call of the National Team"

"First of all, we are footballers (...) we owe it to our profession and we have to fulfill our duty" "The changes we demand have names and surnames (...) I consider that the best way is to start the changes from within. I am aware of the situation of uncertainty that the RFEF is going through, so I want to give a vote of confidence to the people that at this moment they have taken control"

"I want this whole situation to end once and for all and go back to thinking only about football, playing, watching it and enjoying it"

Last edited:

Goalfather

He's not going to prison, and you know that. You just want to be outraged.
Where are you going with this, he has been charged with sexual assault where if convicted he can face from 1 to 4 years imprisonment! Is that not Spanish Law?

Do you not believe that his offence is serious enough to merit a criminal investigation?

"Power grabs" are the norm in Spanish football, and very especially in the Spanish FA. Were you so outraged at previous "power grabs"?
I do not like when serious issues like sexual assault are trivialised in the pursuit of political gain. I neither care about Spanish Football, Rubiales nor the Men's National Team. I supported the female team in the Final but the post-WC shenanigans as I said before have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Society" doesn't operate under a presumption of innocence. It's a procedural guarantee in criminal procedures.
I do not believe that criminal charges would have even been considered without the public and political outcry.

cafecillos

Where are you going with this, he has been charged with sexual assault where if convicted he can face from 1 to 4 years imprisonment! Is that not Spanish Law?

Do you not believe that his offence is serious enough to merit a criminal investigation?
It's not for me to decide, it's for the justice system, which is what's happening. What I can tell you is that Rubiales is not going to prison because even if convicted he will get a short enough sentence to qualify for suspension.

I do not like when serious issues like sexual assault are trivialised in the pursuit of political gain. I neither care about Spanish Football, Rubiales nor the Men's National Team. I supported the female team in the Final but the post-WC shenanigans as I said before have left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Right :lol:

It's great we have freethinkers like yourself to remind women what's trivial and what isn't.

I do not believe that criminal charges would have even been considered without the public and political outcry.
You're still struggling very badly to understand the concept of presumption of innocence and when it operates.

Goalfather

It's not for me to decide, it's for the justice system, which is what's happening. What I can tell you is that Rubiales is not going to prison because even if convicted he will get a short enough sentence to qualify for suspension.
You are pretty certain of this. I assume the severity of the "crime" is not such as result in a longer sentence.

Right :lol:

It's great we have freethinkers like yourself to remind women what's trivial and what isn't.
Hmmmm.... Again you are trying to paint me with a sexist brush. But maybe I am giving you too much credit. I think that both male and females are capable of objective thought.

You're still struggling very badly to understand the concept of presumption of innocence and when it operates.
I'm not well versed in Spanish Law, but I assume the presumption of innocence is upheld even during the investigatory phase when determining if charges should be brought forward. Are you saying that it is not plausible that public and political pressure can influence the outcome of such an investigation?

cafecillos

You are pretty certain of this. I assume the severity of the "crime" is not such as result in a longer sentence.
Yes to both. What you're doing here, and I'm going to be absolutely clear in case anybody else feels tempted to engage with you in good faith, is both mocking the possibility of a short sentence and being outraged in case he gets a harsher one.

Hmmmm.... Again you are trying to paint me with a sexist brush. But maybe I am giving you too much credit. I think that both male and females are capable of objective thought.
I don't need any "credit" from you, I'd actually feel insulted if I got any. The last sentence is more centrist freethinker bait. "I think females are capable of objective thought" :lol: go say that you the "females" in your life, they're going to be so flattered.

I'm not well versed in Spanish Law, but I assume the presumption of innocence is upheld even during the investigatory phase when determining if charges should be brought forward. Are you saying that it is not plausible that public and political pressure can influence the outcome of such an investigation?
Saying your not "well versed" is a monumental understatement. Why would you go on about the "presumption of innocence" in Spanish criminal law then? Classic objective thinker :lol:

Finally, regarding the bolded: No.

Lightbringer

Feminists in sweden have suggested that Team Sweden should surrender this fridays upcoming nations league game Vs Spain in solidarity with Spain and their quest to exterminate bad apples still left in the Spanish federation!

Or could sweden and spain strike a deal and agree that the game ends in a draw? (Making Spain-Sweden the decider)

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry, what exactly is leading to totalitarianism here?
Isn't there a famous quote that says something like when you're used to being the oppressor, equality looks like oppression? Lots of men out there were used to do whatever they wanted and women had to shut up and take it. Now that society isn't putting up with most of that, they feel like some of their rights are being taken away, of course those rights were just being sexist asses.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Isn't there a famous quote that says something like when you're used to being the oppressor, equality looks like oppression? Lots of men out there were used to do whatever they wanted and women had to shut up and take it. Now that society isn't putting up with most of that, they feel like some of their rights are being taken away, of course those rights were just being sexist asses.
Yeah, I've heard that before, and it's a great comment. Not sure that's what was meant, but it's one option, yes.

VanKenny

They havent created a monster at all. Whats happened is that finally after decades of mismanagement and misogyny we are seeing changes that should have happened a long time ago. Media havent convinced anyone of anything. These problems have existed for a long time. Totalitarianism??? Seriously, this is exactly the opposite of totalitarianism. Whats gone before was totalitarianism, dictatorial leadership that required subservience from the women players. A large group of people wanting restructures and change is not totalitarianism.

You dont even know their reasoning behind their demands. They havent explained anything about any of those topics and why they want those changes. "We hate the patriarchy" is not reason enough, any group of men that would make such extreme demands and changes would be expected to at least write a very detailed and long explanation about each of those changes they expect.

People see those demands and they just eat them up because of course everybody wants to be a good guy and fight against patriarchy. I mean, the women's league exists basically because of "patriarchy", they are funded by the men's leagues, they make their money thanks to men's football. Valencia vs Real Madrid had 1000 spectators just this past week, yet they are demanding salaries higher than even a good portion of the men in the men's league.

Im all for fighting against injustice, but lets just call a spade a spade.

Lightbringer

Here we go - the battle is on!

Two Spanish FA chiefs 'will SUE their World Cup winners for defamation and putting pressure on officials to sack them' after stars refused to return to action until more changes were made to the crisis-hit federation

Now, RFEF executives are believed to be filing a complaint in response against the players, accusing them of defamation and coercion.

Mundo Deportivo reports that the RFEF asked for a list to be drawn up of those executives that the team are targeting their complaints against.

However, the potential counter claim could have an impact on that list, with players potentially less likely to offer up the specific targets of their complaints if there is fear of one aimed at them in response.

The executives and managers implicated are thought to be preparing to argue that the crimes that they are accused of never happened, and that the 39 players are putting the RFEF under pressure to remove certain staff members.
It is thought that a letter was sent to interim president of the RFEF Pedro Rocha informing of the threatened counter claim. It is in this letter that the warning of legal action is believed to have come."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12531089/Two-Spanish-FA-chiefs-SUE-World-Cup-winners-defamation-putting-pressure-officials-sack-stars-refused-return-action-changes-crisis-hit-federation.html?

Stack

You dont even know their reasoning behind their demands. They havent explained anything about any of those topics and why they want those changes. "We hate the patriarchy" is not reason enough, any group of men that would make such extreme demands and changes would be expected to at least write a very detailed and long explanation about each of those changes they expect.

People see those demands and they just eat them up because of course everybody wants to be a good guy and fight against patriarchy. I mean, the women's league exists basically because of "patriarchy", they are funded by the men's leagues, they make their money thanks to men's football. Valencia vs Real Madrid had 1000 spectators just this past week, yet they are demanding salaries higher than even a good portion of the men in the men's league.

Im all for fighting against injustice, but lets just call a spade a spade.
Bullshit, absolute bullshit.
We do know the reasons, we do know the issues, they have been brought up time and time again for many years. There is an absolute ton of information on this if you bother to look for it.
You have no idea what you are talking about. You just keep repeating slogans and catch phrases without actually knowing whats gone on before. Go do some proper research into the problems the womens game in Spain has had. "we hate the patriarchy" is NOT the reason this is all happening.

You have also just made an incredibly ignorant and mind blowingly sexist comment about womens football existing basically because of the patriarchy.

At the risk of boring a lot of people who will have seen me say this before I will repeat it.

i played football for 55 years, I coached for 20 or so years, boys, girls, men and women often 3 teams a year.

Heres the important bit for you
In my lifetime in football the single most important and the very best thing thats happened in football has been the growth of the womens game. When I played there were very very few women in football clubs after games, the places were sterile beer halls. As a teen I didnt know any girls who played and so all my involvement in football was male only. As a fan there were very few women at games so all my conversations about football were only with men.
Now I see kids, teens, men and women discussing our wonderful game on an equal footing, women understand the game as well as men and consequently we see grassroots football clubs full of girls and women and the clubs now are more vibrant, more interesting and more enjoyable places to be after games.
Also during my coaching journey the growth of the womens game helped to foster more progressive coaching methods, guided discovery, teaching games for understanding etc etc. All methods and systems we see in the mens coaching today.

The growth of the womens game has added massively to the game globally. The incredible growth in attendances around the world to domestic womens semi pro and pro leagues.

The more we invest in the womens game the better the game becomes, we see the outcomes everywhere, especially at grassroots level. Everywhere in society now we see womens and girls football growing and the positives follow. Schools, clubs, universities, technical institutes, the workplace social teams have all popped up in the last 20 years. Socially the mixing of men and women playing and as fans and equals has been amazing to see.

The womens game is not here because of the patriarchy, its in spite of the patriarchy and its the best thing thats ever happened to our game.

Take your ignorant sexism and FO

Last edited:

VanKenny

The womens game is not here because of the patriarchy, its in spite of the patriarchy and its the best thing thats ever happened to our game.

Take your ignorant sexism and FO
Women's football is the best thing that ever happened to football? I mean i gotta wonder at this point if im simply being trolled.

Stack

Women's football is the best thing that ever happened to football? I mean i gotta wonder at this point if im simply being trolled.
I think an awful lot of stuff just goes whoosh right over your head because you have such a shallow and superficial understanding of everything.
Its why you say such ignorant shit.
Fortunately the world is moving on from the view dinosaurs such as yourself hold.
You really arent worth bothering with so i wont anymore, carry on with your thinly veiled misogyny, every time you post something you let everyone know exactly what you are.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Difficult to see how the Spanish FA could have handled this situation any worse and its such a shame that what should be the crowning achievement of a lot of these players' lives has now been totally overshadowed by this whole saga.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Here we go - the battle is on!
What an odd way to frame this? As if you're excited that this is happening?

Whatever your views on the matter, can you not agree that this is just a really shit situation for the players who should be celebrating their crowning achievement? And this is whats dominating the news instead?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, the women's league exists basically because of "patriarchy", they are funded by the men's leagues, they make their money thanks to men's football. Valencia vs Real Madrid had 1000 spectators just this past week, yet they are demanding salaries higher than even a good portion of the men in the men's league.
That must be your worst comment so far. Let's have a look at how the patriarchy supported women's football in the UK:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mens-football-in-1921-and-tried-to-justify-it

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59475956

That's right: women's football was doing great until it got barred from using FA grounds, keeping it in frozen suspension for decades, until women could start playing again - at that point obviously many decades behind the men's game in its technical and financial development, which didn't improve in a hurry due to the ridicule and condescion from the (men's) football establishment.

So if anything, the 'patriarchy' has quite a lot to make up for, to compensate for their past suppression of women's football.
I think that's what everyone is thinking about your posts by now. Well, it's between that and real ignorance.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Tomé has called about 15 players from those who signed the letter. Jenni Hermoso is not going, she says to protect her.
A few hours later there was a statement from the players insisting that they do not want to go, that they didn't communicate any change of idea to the federation and that the call is not valid in a timely manner, citing an article from a Fifa statute (I think it does not apply in this case)
It also says that they will study the legal measures to which they are exposed.
It could be said that the call is a bit of a trap by the federation, since being official it forces them to attend.
A while ago the president of the superior sports council said "I hope the call has been agreed upon with them. If they don't show up, we will have to apply the law. I would never want to do what I would have to do at that moment. The Sports Law says what it says."
Fine of up to €30,000 and suspension between 2 and 15 years depending on the degree of severity.
I wonder what will happen now, if some or all of them will get off the boat or continue, and what the CSD will do in this situation.