g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

RedDevilQuebecois

WHY THE FECK DID YOU NOT CALL AN OFFSIDE STRAIGHT AWAY IF IT WAS OBVIOUS?!

Someone will get hurt one of those days because of a lazy lino.

RedDevilQuebecois

FECKING PATHETIC

I know people will say that a 0-0 draw is not the worst scenario, but that was a result that Canada could not afford to drop a single point. If we can't beat Nigeria, how can you expect better outcome against Ireland and then Australia? Seriously, I saw a clueless team in the final third as well.

One last thing before you go: I don't want to see Christine Sinclair be in a starting XI for Canada ever again. She had one hell of a career, but she no longer has the fitness nor the finishing touch to deserve unconditional starts. How I feel about Canada starting a match with her is the same as United starting a match with CR7 in the last few times from last season. That's exactly how bad she has been.

Last edited:

Twisted_Woody

Scout
That was frustrating and no I did not see a red for Canada in there. Not a clue what you are talking about.

RedDevilQuebecois

I'm having such a laugh as I scrolled down the whole list of players on the Philippines women's national football team. I counted only 1 player actually born in the country: Anicka Castañeda (#11). As for the others, I counted one Australian-born, one Canadian-born, two Norwegian-born, and the rest are American-born. I don't think I have ever seen something like that in international sports.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'm having such a laugh as I scrolled down the whole list of players on the Philippines women's national football team. I counted only 1 player actually born in the country: Anicka Castañeda (#11). As for the others, I counted one Australian-born, one Canadian-born, two Norwegian-born, and the rest are American-born. I don't think I have ever seen something like that in international sports.
People used to joke about Jack Charlton's loose interpretation of Irish when he was in charge of that team a few years back (that included players using the grandparent rule and maybe one or two who didn't actually have an Irish grandparent). Last year's Rugby League WC had a West Indies team with a very international flavour - minority sports often have to use a bit of creative licence around these things and women's football is still that in most places.

Quite a few WWC teams rely on their diaspora for players, though maybe not on the Philippines scale. Some of the teams are coming from countries who had no girls teams twenty years ago and are only just starting to have enough teams to form local Leagues. The success of the national team is already having some impact on players in the Philippines though - more girls and women's team's are starting up and there is now a women's league there.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not as extreme as that perhaps, but some of the squads at Qatar2022 were more than 50% born overseas: https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-the-world-cup-of-immigration

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dunno when you last visited a hospital or a care home but the nationality of most of the staff there will make it clear to you why so many Philippines players were born overseas. I’m sure all these immigrants who are propping up our health service consider themselves Philipino. Why shouldn’t their kids represent their national team?

RedDevilQuebecois

Not as extreme as that perhaps, but some of the squads at Qatar2022 were more than 50% born overseas: https://www.gzeromedia.com/the-graphic-truth-the-world-cup-of-immigration
Interesting chart. I knew Morocco had a huge chunk of players born abroad, but I didn't think there were that many.

Dunno when you last visited a hospital or a care home but the nationality of most of the staff there will make it clear to you why so many Philippines players were born overseas. I’m sure all these immigrants who are propping up our health service consider themselves Philipino. Why shouldn’t their kids represent their national team?
No problem against that. It's just that we are facing a kind of extreme that I had never seen until today.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interesting chart. I knew Morocco had a huge chunk of players born abroad, but I didn't think there were that many.

No problem against that. It's just that we are facing a kind of extreme that I had never seen until today.
I doubt it’s a new phenomenon. Maybe that information wasn’t easily available before?

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh, shame. Spain have scored on an own goal by Costa Rica's Valeria del Campo (Gutiérrez).

edit: That didn't take long. It's now 2-0.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Some good play from Spain over the last ten minutes. It was going to pay off eventually. Brutal for the Costa Rica player who gave away the own goal though.

And Spain immediately follow up with a second - this one they actually score themselves though. Bonmati the scorer.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Costa Rican goalkeeper looks tiny. This will be a cricket score.

RedDevilQuebecois

Insult to injury, that's a penalty after the Spanish players gave a demonstration of Brazilian-like football.

Beobachter

Feel almost identical to what I thought during the same fixture in the men's WC last year; a complete mismatch in favour of Spain, but need to see more of them against fellow top tier opponent. Also just realized this is pretty much the same group to that, except with Zambia in place of Germany.

cafecillos

Very comfortable first half for Spain. Just missed the fourth with that header.

RedDevilQuebecois

Feel almost identical to what I thought during the same fixture in the men's WC last year; a complete mismatch in favour of Spain, but need to see more of them against fellow top tier opponent. Also just realized this is pretty much the same group to that, except with Zambia in place of Germany.
Yep. The match between Japan and Spain will likely be the tiebreaker in the group standings. There have been some high-profile matches between Japan and Spain in the women's game in the last decade or so, mostly in youth levels.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Costa Rica weren't supposed to be this bad. Their history says they'd be coming in well prepared and well organise - good enough for a contest if not a win. But they're lucky to be going in 3-0 down - it could have been twice that margin, even with the packed box and some decent keeping, the difference between the sides has been that much.

Of course Spain might be that good! They came out firing and that (almost inevitable) opening goal could have opened the floodgates.

Things calmed down a bit before halftime. Secondhalf may depend more on what Spain want to happen than what Costa Rica can do.

Pes6Monster

Slightly off topic but feck FIFA and their idiotic attempts to stifle expression.
Same goes for any country outlawing homosexuality, especially those using football to promote themselves as tolerant.

Lightbringer

I cant watch Spain, just the spanish national team jerseys make my heart cry. Miss our Ona :(

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I cant watch Spain, just the spanish national team jerseys make my heart cry. Miss our Ona :(
Agreed.

I'll be watching a lot of teams with the one eye on the, "do we want to buy anyone?" question. I have to remind myself not to even play that game when I watch Spain.

Mind you - I should know better that to play that game at all, I was genuinely disappointed when I heard Khadija Shaw was heading to Bordeaux after WWC19, but that was nothing compared to how I felt when I heard she was joining City a couple of years later.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Quiet second half. Costa Rica defended, Spain didn't look that bothered. I'm not sure if the Spanish keeper got bored or if she is that slow on the ball - at any rate it felt like she was the best chance Costa Rica had of getting a goal.

Lightbringer

Can someone explain the Ramona Bachmann penalty that Switzerland got today. The situation was going absolutely nowhere and the touch on Bachmann had not bearing on the play. Does this mean VAR can award a penalty for an infraction inside the box regardless if it has any influence on the play or not? I mean, why not have a little common sense and give penalties away when the foul in question did not hinder or affect the attacking player? If you are going to hold that standard then every time there is a slight foul any attacking player VAR should intervene!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
FECKING PATHETIC

I know people will say that a 0-0 draw is not the worst scenario, but that was a result that Canada could not afford to drop a single point. If we can't beat Nigeria, how can you expect better outcome against Ireland and then Australia? Seriously, I saw a clueless team in the final third as well.

One last thing before you go: I don't want to see Christine Sinclair be in a starting XI for Canada ever again. She had one hell of a career, but she no longer has the fitness nor the finishing touch to deserve unconditional starts. How I feel about Canada starting a match with her is the same as United starting a match with CR7 in the last few times from last season. That's exactly how bad she has been.
This is like when England kept starting Ellen White despite having far more dynamic, athletic and just all round better strikers in Alessia Russo and Beth England sitting on the bench.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
This is like when England kept starting Ellen White despite having far more dynamic, athletic and just all round better strikers in Alessia Russo and Beth England sitting on the bench.
Managers get addicted to certain players - whether because of their history and experience or just because they like them.

In England's case it kept on working because Toone and Russo worked great as impact subs. Presumably the Canadian manager won't have the same excuse after today. Mind you, the match was too late/early for me, so I didn't see any of it - I'm just going by the secondhand reports.