WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Good win for England. Final is going to be a hard match.

I was at last year's Euros QF and it really could have gone either way. Spain are a tough, tough opponent. Toone has done a great job since coming back into the team.

Jeffthered

England's experience is showing throughout the tournament. Not the most attractive team, and I prefer teams who play and create chances... England have a top coach, some excellent forwards, and are very clinical. They were pre-tournament joint favourites so this is good.

Spain will be a very tough match I think.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Absolutely fantastic to watch. Such a likeable team too.
Agree. I can’t bring myself to cheer on the Liverpool/City players etc for the men’s team and I’m not really that bothered about how they do but I really enjoy watching this current group of women’s players.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Agree. I can’t bring myself to cheer on the Liverpool/City players etc for the men’s team and I’m not really that bothered about how they do but I really enjoy watching this current group of women’s players.
Same. It's just so refreshing to see an England team not bottle it at the first sign of trouble too.

Should be a cracking final!

Vanrouge

She is the wife of Chris Penso, of whom I openly calling out as one of the very worst among the bad MLS /CONCACAF referees I have ever seen. No wonder why the trash stays with the name.
Oh, I didn't know that. I enjoy watching MLS (and my Whitecaps), but the refereeing isn't the best, so you have to be pretty bad to be the worst!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
So, Spain technical like the men? Will keep the ball for fun?

Please tell me that they lump it forward like wimbledon used to.

RedDevilQuebecois

So, Spain technical like the men? Will keep the ball for fun?

Please tell me that they lump it forward like wimbledon used to.
They will look forward to keep as much of the ball as possible. There is a way to break that approach, but it requires speed of execution on the counterattacks by England. If you remember the Japan/Spain match, you have a broad idea of how a team can beat Spain and it was done with perfectly timed passes on the ground. It doesn't have to be hoofball.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I know that's a thing for a lot of people, but I don't understand it. When England are playing, I'm Kane and Saka's biggest fans. I'm Rashford and Sancho's biggest fans. I leave club rivalries at he door.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I know that's a thing for a lot of people, but I don't understand it. When England are playing, I'm Kane and Saka's biggest fans. I'm Rashford and Sancho's biggest fans. I leave club rivalries at he door.
Never been able to do it really don’t really think I want to either. International football has never really interested me that much.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I try to do that, but must admit Haaland makes it really hard for me.
It used to be a thing for me with the previous generation. I couldn't stand Rooney and Gerrard. But I think it was partly down the player's themselves not getting on and bringing club rivalries with them to England camps.

Grande

It used to be a thing for me with the previous generation. I couldn't stand Rooney and Gerrard. But I think it was partly down the player's themselves not getting on and bringing club rivalries with them to England camps.
I remember it annoyed me that Scholes was played out of position to accomodate Gerrard/Lampard combo that never really worked. Bit of a tough one to solve, I’ll admit. Apart from that I’ve always found it easy to cheer for players in their NTs.

Ed. It does make a difference though when Russo scored as a United talent in the Euros, and when she acores after leaving United for a rival for no fee, though.

redshaw

Great result and achievement by England, they have the experience and knowhow to get far. Really pleased Russo has come good at the right times.

Probably won't outplay Spain but they can beat them.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Russo goal in the last two games has hurt so much. How could we allow her to leave. She is ready to take a leap and is going to become so so good

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m going to miss this wc when it’s all over, been a great tournament
Yes same here. The main thing I like about the womens game, at the moment anyway, is that it doesn't yet have the same level of cheating as the mens game. Yes there are fouls and appealing for decisions.
But certainly not the simulation and rolling over and over and over while screaming at the slightest touch. Or trying to get a player booked or sent off by waving an imaginary card.
It is a slightly purer form of football.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If the English team manages to win the world cup on Sunday they will have pulled off something the man's team never could which is to win a top international tournament away from home. A Euros and WC double for the same generation would be historical.

Of course, Spain awaits and they are no pushover. It'll be a very close game.
And in the event that England win this WC, what will be the future of the womens manager Weigman. She has already led England to the Euros and if the WC also, what else would she be able to achieve with England.
Could potentially be her last game in charge?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Spot on for me as well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Iggy Azalea, Nicole Kidman, Kylie minogue, Madge bishop ,your girls took a hell of a beating.
What about Sir Les Patterson Cultural Attaché. One of the funniest things ever. And Sadi the cleaning lady....
Don't make them like that anymore.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’m going to miss this wc when it’s all over, been a great tournament
Me too. Only wish the games didn't clash with work so I could fully immerse myself in the tournament. I've missed far too many games.

nickp91

England just love beating Australia at Stadium Australia in Sydney Don’t forget this is where we won the 2003 Rugby World Cup too

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Question for regular watchers- How deep is the talent pool in woman's international football? Before the WC started how many teams could have won it? I don't expect it to compare to the depth of the men's game, but England are not one of 5 good teams in the world are they? I hope not.

And if England win, I'm looking forward to people using it as a stick to beat the men's game with*

*I'm really not looking forward to that.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Question for regular watchers- How deep is the talent pool in woman's international football? Before the WC started how many teams could have won it? I don't expect it to compare to the depth of the men's game, but England are not one of 5 good teams in the world are they? I hope not.

And if England win, I'm looking forward to people using it as a stick to beat the men's game with*

It’s actually quite deep. Plenty of big surprises in this World Cup.

I’d say Germany, England, France, Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands are the best countries in terms of talent and quality. But quite a few ”smaller” teams have world class players, even more than in the men’s game currently.

Luckily that doesn’t mean they all always go far or that other teams (Australia, Japan & Colombia for example in WC 2023) couldn’t break their way to the last eight or even final four in major tournaments. Teams like Sweden have good players but almost always do ”better” than their pure quality compared to other top teams suggests. Nigeria were brilliant too and deserved to go further.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Japan and Sweden are top drawer sides.
Not saying they aren’t but in terms of talent I’d rank them just below the best ones. They have some very good players but I’d say they are above all superbly coached sides.

Last edited:

NoPace

It's rapidly improving, but I'd say any of these teams could have won it:
  • USA +250
  • Spain +350
  • England +500
  • Germany +700
  • France +1000
  • Australia +1100
  • Netherlands +2500
  • Sweden +2500
  • Brazil +3300
  • Japan +3300
  • Canada +4000
Ignore the odds because they're after some games were played.

Anyone else would have been a huge shock. Canada aren't great but they defend well typically and won the Olympics off that. Brazil probably a bit of a paper tiger too. The rest all would have been believable finalists or winners I think.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

I think once we have a winner that will be 5 winners in 30 years whilst the men have had 8 winners in 100 years.
The talent pool is nowhere near as deep as the mens but the number of teams capable of winning is a nice long list as @NoPace has shown. To be honest before this WC started I thought only 4 or 5 teams could have won it so its been great to see more teams join that list.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Lionesses have exceeded my expectations, they have rode their luck and had an easier route to the final than predicted, but they are there and that's all that matters

Now they sit watching that Japan Spain match on repeat for the next few days ...

Grande

It's rapidly improving, but I'd say any of these teams could have won it:
  • USA +250
  • Spain +350
  • England +500
  • Germany +700
  • France +1000
  • Australia +1100
  • Netherlands +2500
  • Sweden +2500
  • Brazil +3300
  • Japan +3300
  • Canada +4000
Ignore the odds because they're after some games were played.

Anyone else would have been a huge shock. Canada aren't great but they defend well typically and won the Olympics off that. Brazil probably a bit of a paper tiger too. The rest all would have been believable finalists or winners I think.
Yea, even Norway have a few top class players in Hegerberg (Lyon), Graham Hansen and Syrstad Engen (Barca), Maanum (Arsenal), Reiten and Mjelde (Chelsea). If gelled and well drilled, they would also be a dark horse.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@RedDevilQuebecois, do you know where I can rewatch the final here in Canada after it's been played, with commentary in French? My daughter wants to see it, but I don't want to get up at 6 in the morning for that and anyway don't have a subscription to a sports channel - so I'm hoping we can just rewatch it afterwards at a more reasonable time.

I'm not looking for anything illegal btw and I'm happy to pay, I just have no idea where to look. (Cause I don't think RDS allows rewatching entire matches afterwards, and I'm anyway not sure if they do pay-per-view.)