WWC23 | England v Spain - Spain win the World Cup - and Rubiales gets sacked

Withnail

Not the whole fiasco, just on why they are defending him now.
As far as I recall they've been covering for him from the start. It was them who put out the statement that the player said were not her words. They're going way beyond defending him as well. They're threatening to sue her knowing that they have way more money than her and could cost her a fortune in the courts.

Have I missed something where they didn't defend him? It must have been quite short lived.

Jericho

Good luck on the next 11 years of being a Newbie.
Cheers.

Seriously though, I haven't made any kind of defense of Rubiales or the Spanish FA. You guys need to relax, there was nothing inflammatory in what I said.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
You don't know what my views are on the whole situation. We probably agree more than we disagree. Silly of you to make a post like that without knowing what my view is on the whole.
I responded to your awful post, the words that were written. It's no one's fault but yours if you left that stupid comment and then didn't embellish.

Jericho

As far as I recall they've been covering for him from the start. It was them who put out the statement that the player said were not her words. They're going way beyond defending him as well. They're threatening to sue her knowing that they have way more money than her and could cost her a fortune in the courts.

Have I missed something where they didn't defend him? It must have been quite short lived.
I'm not saying they haven't defended him. Edit: I'm also not saying they are right to defend him. I'm just saying that for them it's probably more about not giving in to public pressure no matter who the man in question is. That's why they seem to be taking this so far. If it was just about Rubiales I think they'd give in soon or later.

I responded to your awful post, the words that were written. It's no one's fault but yours if you left that stupid comment and then didn't embellish.
Yeah truly awful, I hope you recover from this. Pathetic.

cafecillos

The forum these days is so full of bright, unprejudiced freethinkers who are just asking questions, it's great.

Jokes aside, I'm Spanish, live in Spain at the moment, and can 100% guarantee without the faintest shadow of a doubt that there isn't the tiniest shred of anything noble in anything Rubiales or their camp have said or done since the kiss. Interpreting any part of this as commendable civic resistance to PC gone mad is either ill-timed wumming or something much worse.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I dunno, I think it's more about not bending to a mob calling for someones head, whoever that someone is.
That might make sense as a general rule, but how would it make sense in this specific instance? Cause 'the mob' is not necessarily wrong you know.

The evidence about Rubiales's original action is very clear, but instead of ever admitting to everything, the Spanish football authorities have sought a dark path of doubling down, by putting a lot of pressure on the player and those around her, faking a statement, twisting the situation, and now all the way up to basically threatening to have all of Spain thrown out of international football.

So in this particular instance, I'd say the 'mob justice' argument only makes sense if Rubiales's full and unreserved innocence is somehow a priority for the Spanish authorities above any moral or practical considerations.

Also, while you are blaming everyone for ascribing opinions to you, you might as well clarify where you actually stand. Cause in a disappointingly large proportion of cases, people 'just asking questions' or 'just raising another option' without committing to any stance themselves, in actual fact turn out to have the counter-opinion themselves. So it is not that weird that people pigeonhole you based on your post. (Even if I prefer not to.)

AndySmith1990

Some just love to be contrary and go against the majority opinion. Attention seeking I think it is

Jericho

The forum these days is so full of bright, unprejudiced freethinkers who are just asking questions, it's great.

Jokes aside, I'm Spanish, live in Spain at the moment, and can 100% guarantee without the faintest shadow of a doubt that there isn't the tiniest shred of anything noble in anything Rubiales or their camp have said or done since the kiss. Interpreting any part of this as commendable civic resistance to PC gone mad is either ill-timed wumming or something much worse.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's commendable either, but I do think that's what the Spanish FA think they're doing.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah truly awful, I hope you recover from this. Pathetic.
You are the one talking about "mobs" as if it's justification.

If you have a point, make it. But your post we are all replying to is such a contrarian and frankly awful opinion that seemingly comes from a place of defending the guy.

It's no one's fault but yours that you misrepresented yourself, if you did, and are now getting all angry about it and calling everyone wrong.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's commendable either, but I do think that's what the Spanish FA think they're doing.
OK I think I understand what you are saying, your wording tripped you up with everyone.

My take on what you are saying is the Spanish FA are pushing back against what they think is mob rule. You dont think its mob rule but were indicating thats what they think? Am I on the right track?

Jericho

OK I think I understand what you are saying, your wording tripped you up with everyone.

My take on what you are saying is the Spanish FA are pushing back against what they think is mob rule. You dont think its mob rule but were indicating thats what they think? Am I on the right track?
Nail on the head.

Someone mentioned that it was "all to protect a single dude. " I think the Spanish FA think if they give in here with this guy they could all be vulnerable in some way. That's not me agreeing with them, but that's why I think they are digging their heels in here.

Plastic Evra

I'm sure there's an amount of siege mentality at play now... the appeal to non political interference has been agitated a couple of times (in France IIRC) to stifle sensible public intervention in the federation's affair.

Don't feel sorry for the Spanish FA though, seems all the chickens came home to roost for their failure to correct issues that have been boiling for a year at least.

Threatening to retreat from UEFA competition is especially daft. I can't imagine Real would be pleased about that.

Nail on the head.

Someone mentioned that it was "all to protect a single dude. " I think the Spanish FA think if they give in here with this guy they could all be vulnerable in some way. That's not me agreeing with them, but that's why I think they are digging their heels in here.
Somewhere above there's an article that claims Rubiales and some of his cronies had orgies using Spanish federation money. Could be that a whole lot of them will come down with Rubiales if he does go.

And the women's team/union have made it clear that they don't just view Rubiales as the problem, that it's a structural issue involving the whole federation.

So basically they're all covered in shit and they're scared that if Rubiales falls then they will too. I think the 'dont let the mob in' argument sounds like what they might say but not what they seriously believe. They're in it for self preservation.

whitbyviking

That’s the rats finally deserting the sinking ship. Something not right with this whole debacle, beyond the initial disgrace itself. Don’t think he’ll go quietly and if he does then there will be big money involved and a sneaky background job.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Nail on the head.

Spanish FA seems to have a history with appointing men that don't really do well with women for the women's NT.

owlo

What a mess. Blown out of all proportion. For what it's worth (nothing) I'd imagine he's a liar and didn't ask for consent, she lifted him and he just gave the kiss in the heat of the moment. That said there's no evidence either way, and the idea of the courts wasting time on a 'sexual violence' investigation on a publicly available he said/she said issue is about as ludicrous as the cops investigating every time I've had my ass grabbed or boobs stuck in my face in a nightclub.

He should have just apologised, eaten humble pie, and admit he fecked up in the excitement, and moved on and perhaps kept his job. Guardiola etc are always kissing [guys] without asking permission. It didn't have to be a huge deal. He has to go now obviously and is a prick for threatening legal action.

The whole societal schism thing does perturb me though somewhat. I enjoy woman's cricket because it's just cricket, they aren't men (and yea sure they'd get destroyed by men [but not me, i got smacked for 10 in an over last week by a girl!]) but the narrative isn't that they are 'brave women roaring' - they are just cricketers. Similarly the commentators comment on cricket, whereas in football it seems to have become somewhat of a political football and drama. Nobody wants that in their lives, and it's probably fuel to the right wing who complain about 'woke' culture. I think woman's football would be eminently more watchable [for me] if it was about the football.

NotThatSoph

What a mess. Blown out of all proportion. For what it's worth (nothing) I'd imagine he's a liar and didn't ask for consent, she lifted him and he just gave the kiss in the heat of the moment. That said there's no evidence either way, and the idea of the courts wasting time on a 'sexual violence' investigation on a publicly available he said/she said issue is about as ludicrous as the cops investigating every time I've had my ass grabbed or boobs stuck in my face in a nightclub.

He should have just apologised, eaten humble pie, and admit he fecked up in the excitement, and moved on and perhaps kept his job. Guardiola etc are always kissing [guys] without asking permission. It didn't have to be a huge deal. He has to go now obviously and is a prick for threatening legal action.

The whole societal schism thing does perturb me though somewhat. I enjoy woman's cricket because it's just cricket, they aren't men (and yea sure they'd get destroyed by men [but not me, i got smacked for 10 in an over last week by a girl!]) but the narrative isn't that they are 'brave women roaring' - they are just cricketers. Similarly the commentators comment on cricket, whereas in football it seems to have become somewhat of a political football and drama. Nobody wants that in their lives, and it's probably fuel to the right wing who complain about 'woke' culture. I think woman's football would be eminently more watchable [for me] if it was about the football.
The English players are called Lionesses because of the lion thing, these players are Spanish.

owlo

The English players are called Lionesses because of the lion thing, these players are Spanish.
I know, and you know that I know. Aware my post isn't likely to be popular, but I do feel that there's a narrative built which isn't for the men, 'because they are women' as opposed to 'because they are footballers' and that gender commentary is a big part of woman football media coverage - a quick google does show that the roar example isn't a good one though; tabloids regularly use the term for morocco and english men.

NotThatSoph

I know, and you know that I know. Aware my post isn't likely to be popular, but I do feel that there's a narrative built which isn't for the men, 'because they are women' as opposed to 'because they are footballers' and that gender commentary is a big part of woman football media coverage - a quick google does show that the roar example isn't a good one though; tabloids regularly use the term for morocco and english men.
Yes, they're called Lionesses because the men's team nickname is the Three Lions, and, you know, the song. The Spanish team have taken their nickname from the Spanish men's team, the French from the French, and so on.

JuriM

Only narrative that's true is that guy is a creep predator and should be taken off his duty. And Spanish FA is corrupt old boys club that does shady things.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
There's obviously more going on with this than we know about.

I mean, what he did was wildly inappropriate, add the grabbing his balls stuff, and I'm asking myself, was he just coked up to the eyeballs or something, because its all so out of line.

The easiest exit to a major apology, saying he got caught up in the moment, and all is probably said and done.

But then, no, the Spanish FA double down behind him, threaten legal action, his mum goes on hunger strike.

There's more going on here than we know about.

Mental shit.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The gender commentary is a big part of of the media coverage because creeps like rubiales exist. Do you think these players are enjoying this media attention? They would love to be giving interviews about their great achievement and visiting their hometowns to be welcomed as heroes. But a man decided to be a creep and make the whole thing about him.

So the fact there is a lot of gender commentary, as you put it, is just a byproduct of our sexist society. If this shit didn't happen, the focus could be 100% on football.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i can’t help but feel that this controversy would have blown over if women just accepted that men are allowed to kiss them whenever they want to. if you look like nosferatu, you’re gonna have to take it, rather than get it. if he’s called out on it and rightly sacked, it will mean all the other sexless incels that defend the likes of him and greenwood might not be right either.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That was me - and yes, that was too simplistic. You're most likely right (as others have said) that Rubiales has a loyal group around him that would fall like dominoes once things get going and dirty laundry really gets aired. Plus yes, they might be digging in by now, unwilling to agree to anything all those proles (probably how they look at the world) are saying.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
This all has spit balled massively for something that would have all been forgotten if they just made a statement about getting caught up in the moment blah blah, and apologized. It really does baffle me how some people and organisations feel the need to double down and continually try to defend these types of situations.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This all has spit balled massively for something that would have all been forgotten if they just made a statement about getting caught up in the moment blah blah, and apologized. It really does baffle me how some people and organisations feel the need to double down and continually try to defend these types of situations.
I think maybe in this case the long history of difficulties the womens game in Spain has finally reached boiling point.

tenhagsimp

Agree. If he just said "oops im sorry i got too excited is the heat of moment cause its the first ever women WC for us so proud of the team etc etc" this will just blow away imo.

RoyH1

I'm sure there's an amount of siege mentality at play now... the appeal to non political interference has been agitated a couple of times (in France IIRC) to stifle sensible public intervention in the federation's affair.

Don't feel sorry for the Spanish FA though, seems all the chickens came home to roost for their failure to correct issues that have been boiling for a year at least.

Threatening to retreat from UEFA competition is especially daft. I can't imagine Real would be pleased about that.
UEFA has already said that they're not allowing Rubiales to use that maneuver. Spanish clubs will remain in the competition.

Rubiales is a dead man walking. While I believe that he can navigate the domestic political and football scene with blackmail on all the dirt he has on most big actors, he cannot manage the societal outcry and the overseas pressure. Every time he'd go anywhere in the future someone would remind him of his transgressions.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Wouldn't say that's clear either way but again shows the claim that the photos of Rubiales
jumping/being lifted were doctored are not true

Not that it's so important anyway because Hermoso never claimed that, it was just Twitter nonsense

fallengt

I watched a few matches whilst it wasn't bad and still felt like women sport need to be its own merit and other stuff.

But damn, now nobody will remember spain won the worldcup because of this kiss.