Zaha

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He's a very good player for Palace, but I'm still not convinced he'd be good enough for a big club where he's not the main man and things aren't built around him.
When playing for Palace he is often the guy that is marked of the pitch but still he finds the space, at Spurs the opposition couldn’t do that.

Art Vandelay

When playing for Palace he is often the guy that is marked of the pitch but still he finds the space, at Spurs the opposition couldn’t do that.
It's still very different being the main man and being second fiddle to some players at Spurs that have proven themselves to be excellent already. I dunno, I think his spell here made me a bit wary of someone spending big money on him again.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's still very different being the main man and being second fiddle to some players at Spurs that have proven themselves to be excellent already. I dunno, I think his spell here made me a bit wary of someone spending big money on him again.
He was what, 20 when he joined you? Still raw potential, and he was at a Moyes led united. He's clearly since managed to turn his career round. It's fair play having doubts about him but basing anything off his time at United five years ago when he was still an up and comer is very harsh, plenty of young players fail at big clubs then make it later on.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Had Zaha in my 'underrated EPL team of the season', think he has grown his game at Palace although still feel he needs to do more without the ball to make it at Spurs. Also a lot of competition for spots, Pochettino seems to favour 4-2-3-1 so realistically you have Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela, Moura, Sissoko, and Zaha if he goes to Spurs. I guess Sissoko and Alli could get pushed further back to occupy midfield and Son can fill in as a striker.

Don't see both Martial and Zaha going to Spurs.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Had Zaha in my 'underrated EPL team of the season', think he has grown his game at Palace although still feel he needs to do more without the ball to make it at Spurs. Also a lot of competition for spots, Pochettino seems to favour 4-2-3-1 so realistically you have Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lamela, Moura, Sissoko, and Zaha if he goes to Spurs. I guess Sissoko and Alli could get pushed further back to occupy midfield and Son can fill in as a striker.

Don't see both Martial and Zaha going to Spurs.
That competition sounds great, the likes of City have Mahrez, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva etc as possible options in those positions, so I don't see an issue with the options we have, especially since the likes of Sissoko get gametime and Lamela regularly starts for us. The season is long, the sides who win trophies have that depth, we need players who can cover if the likes of Eriksen/Son get injured. Currently we have options who 'do a job' but don't offer anywhere near the same kind of quality.

We definitely wouldn't sign both, I think we've moved on from Martial now and to be honest I'm glad. I'd prefer Zaha, though I personally doubt we'll get him because Levy will baulk at the kind of price Palace would demand and we aren't in a strong negotiating position.

Smores

That competition sounds great, the likes of City have Mahrez, Sane, Bernardo Silva, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva etc as possible options in those positions, so I don't see an issue with the options we have, especially since the likes of Sissoko get gametime and Lamela regularly starts for us. The season is long, the sides who win trophies have that depth, we need players who can cover if the likes of Eriksen/Son get injured. Currently we have options who 'do a job' but don't offer anywhere near the same kind of quality.

We definitely wouldn't sign both, I think we've moved on from Martial now and to be honest I'm glad. I'd prefer Zaha, though I personally doubt we'll get him because Levy will baulk at the kind of price Palace would demand and we aren't in a strong negotiating position.
City have that luxury because of the wages on offer and the chance for easy trophies. Spurs currently offer neither and players won't be willing to sit on the sidelines for that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
City have that luxury because of the wages on offer and the chance for easy trophies. Spurs currently offer neither and players won't be willing to sit on the sidelines for that.
All the City players I mentioned got plenty of games last season. We're fighting on multiple fronts and if we shipped out Sissoko (which I hope will happen, though we'll struggle to find a buyer) we will hardly be struggling to give them gametime. Yes, we'll never quite be on City's level in this regard because of the money they can offer, but we can certainly be better than we are right now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Does anyone know what the buy-back clause is? If we're selling a centre back to buy a centre back, not buying a left back and not going for an expensive option on the right...

Champagne Football

Does anyone know what the buy-back clause is? If we're selling a centre back to buy a centre back, not buying a left back and not going for an expensive option on the right...
Who can you see outside the premier league offering 100 million for Martial before August 9? I can't really see anyone who will pay that for him outside the PL. Until that happens we won't be signing a new right winger. If it happens and someone stumps up the cash then I'd imagine it will most like be Rebic but possibly Pulisic as they are what Jose is looking for. Zaha would be awesome though

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
He's really started to transform himself into a top player.

I would definitely have him back at United. However, if were to buy him, then we'll be playing him on the wing. Whilst not a bad player on the wing, he's stepped up to a different level since moving into the second striker role, ala Griezmann, Dybala, etc.

If Spurs get him, I can only imagine Poch will play him on the wing and won't see the type of performances he shows for Palace.

Whatever team he moves too, if he does move, he needs to played behind the forward, in my opinion. Such a threat there, and is a joy to watch.
Spurs don't really play with wingers anymore, do they? Thought they were more of a 4-2-2-1/3-4-1-1 type of team? Alli and Eriksen are the attacking midfielders but tend to play more centrally with the FB's getting forward and providing the width - Zaha could probably rotate with them in that position and he'd probably be pretty dangerous.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who can you see outside the premier league offering 100 million for Martial before August 9? I can't really see anyone who will pay that for him outside the PL. Until that happens we won't be signing a new right winger. If it happens and someone stumps up the cash then I'd imagine it will most like be Rebic but possibly Pulisic as they are what Jose is looking for. Zaha would be awesome though
I'm not really sure Martial has any bearing on this. But it seems he's mentally checked out and we've got all month to find a solution to his transfer, especially when we'd prefer to sell him outside of the Prem. In any case, neither him or Rashford are suited (or have shown they can be) to the right side of attack and unfortunately it looks like Alexis won't be utilised there at all.

Is Rebic any good? I wasn't overly impressed with him at the World Cup bar that one tasty finish. Pulisic is probably overrated and would cost quite a lot. But we have that much referred to buy-back clause but I've no clue what it is, for Zaha..

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm really torn about this, if it does happen.

Zaha is a great player undoubtedly and so important to Palace.

My main recollections of him against us is him absolutely destroying our defence. Repeatedly. He was like a one man wrecking ball. Until the last step. He'd go through 3-4 players and then mess up his cross. He'd mess up the pass. He'd mess up the one on one.

Now obviously he'd be aiming at Kane, Eriksen and Alli as opposed to Benteke, Townsend etc but who knows whether the end product would improve at a team with better players.

And I do struggle to see us smashing our transfer record by so much.

Either way, he has really become such a great player now.

MadMike

Give the man what he wants plus Moyes’ daughter as a bonus and bring him in.

fecks sake we need someone with pace, energy, strength and technique. If I see another abject display from Mata just walking around and being bullied off the ball I’ll go catatonic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Give the man what he wants plus Moyes’ daughter as a bonus and bring him in.

fecks sake we need someone with pace, energy, strength and technique. If I see another abject display from Mata just walking around and being bullied off the ball I’ll go catatonic.
I did wonder yesterday if we do have a buy back for Zaha? Either way he's another one who plays from the left so not what we need

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Zaha always gives City a tough time, I think he’ll do well wherever he goes. He’s a constant annoyance.

AgentP

I think he'll be similar or even better than Mane if we get him. He is ready to step up now.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not a top 4 player and the talk of £75m for him is utterly ridiculous.

His FA cup final performance against United highlighted this for me.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agree with @TheReligion, tried looking for the video of him against Spurs at wembley last season, when he ran past everyone and missed an open net. Sums him up nicely for me.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
He's been getting better and better and is worth a lot to Crystal Palace, the difference between relegation. Can see why they would ask for so much.
It's a sellers market too especially at this stage of the transfer window. He'd add a lot to a team like Spurs but Levy wouldnt pay that money.

TheReligion

Abusive
Agree with @TheReligion, tried looking for the video of him against Spurs at wembley last season, when he ran past everyone and missed an open net. Sums him up nicely for me.
He's talented no doubt but I don't think people watch him all that much apart from when he does something good..

He's often very frustrating.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He strikes me as a player that is a bit of a nuisance to play against when he's at a team like Palace, but I'm not sure he's got the quality to do it as regularly as needed at a top team. I remember the last game of the 16/17 season when we played all our youngsters against Palace and he was crap. Think it was Mitchell that kept him under control all game.

Besides, his form seemed to improve once he got moved centrally last year. He's not the answer to our RW problems imo.

MadMike

People say he's not a RW or that he played badly against us in the Cup final. Here's the video of him in the cup final, playing as a RW.

Considering how inferior the rest of their team was to ours he did pretty well for me. Couple of bad crosses and failed to connect with a volley, but great all around play. Good tracking, great speed and strength, good movement and passing in general, nearly set up two goals. If that's a bad performance then feck me, what are those we've been watching from Mata in the last 2 years then?

I'll remind you the scorn we poured on Liverpool for signing Mane from Southampton who was the same, in the sense that he looked a handful but in an inferior team and people said he wasn't a top 4 player or whatever.

As for the valuation, as others have said, for Palace he's the difference between staying in the Prem or dropping out. Hard to value a player like that below £60m given what Palace would have to spent to even get close to replacing him and the risk of missing out on £100m worth of revenue from the EPL if they drop out.

I just feel Zaha in this team would be a menace. I don't know if he'd get double figures on goals. But he'd be a massive improvement over our right wing.

Last edited:

MadMike

Crystal Palace co-chairman Steve Parish says Manchester United could eventually get their money back on Wilfried Zaha, despite his club initially buying him back for a cut-price fee.

Zaha has returned to Palace on a permanent deal after failing to make an impact at United in the two years since moving for an initial £10million.

Palace paid a reported £3m for Zaha, who signed a five-and-a-half year contract, but Parish says the deal includes a sell-on fee and appearance add-ons.

“There is a big sell-on fee for United so we will be very happy if eventually they get their money back,” he said. “That would mean he has been very successful for us. It was clear there probably was not a future for him at United so we worked with them to do a deal that worked for both clubs."
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...ecover-entire-wilfried-zaha-fee-10020513.html

EDIT: There's definitely a sell-on fee but the actual percentage is private. The 25% mentioned right and left sounds plausible. Since for United getting their money back would require us to get 10m or for Zaha to be sold for £40m. Which at 2015 (pre Pogba, Neymar, Coutinho etc.) would have been an absolutely immense amount of money.

Ekeke

MadMike

Ekeke

We've got a quote from Palace owner and chairman Steve Parish saying there is one. That HITC article has no sources and after all, who the feck are HITC and Dan Coombs?
No, yours says we have a sell on fee not a buyback fee

suhaylah

We should bring him back, atleast we'll have a real right winger.. .

Fergietime@99

Would love him back. In big games when Jose will characteristically park the bus Pogba supplying long balls to Lukaku Zaha and Sanchez can create havoc

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Regardless of whether he's good enough to play for us/we should bring him back or whatever... if we didn't implement a buy back option when we sold him, then that is incredibly stupid.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I do and I agree with you. I don't think he can make the step up. He is perfect where he is.
I've watched a lot of Palace this season and they were completely transformed when he returned. I believe a Palace fan on here also believes he could have a Mane like impact at a bigger side, so I don't think it's fair to say people who think he's good enough haven't watched him enough. He's frustrating but that's to be expected for a player of his ilk, he takes a ton of risks and is extremely direct, so it won't always come off. He also beats a man for fun and is an absolute nightmare for defenders because he's not only rapid and strong, but also extremely dangerous with the ball at his feet.

His decision making isn't the best, but has markedly improved while at Palace, and he's perfectly capable of improving even more under a top manager and learning from other top players. He has all the tools to succeed anywhere he plays imo, a manager who gives creative freedom to his players (Klopp as the best example) would get fantastic results out of him I feel. He's basically the only threat at Palace, the likes of Benteke are trash tier players so he ends up getting triple marked because the opposition is absolutely aware of how dangerous he can be. Like I said, the difference between Palace with and without him is so stark.

Personally, I'd have loved him at Spurs. The pricetag is insane but that is the reality of our current market, to Palace he's absolutely worth 60-75m because the threat of relegation would be very real if they lost him.

MadMike

Regardless of whether he's good enough to play for us/we should bring him back or whatever... if we didn't implement a buy back option when we sold him, then that is incredibly stupid.
It isn't though.

Very few clubs accept sales with a buy back option. It means that if he turns really good there's a cap on how much the club could earn from that. Also the club is forced to accept the bid that meets the clause, regardless of how convenient or not the timing is. Like half-way through a critical season for example. That's too much risk with too little upside.

A sell-on fee on the other hand requires the club to willingly accept a bid and doesn't limit the upside potential on how much money they could make. It's more palatable for the buying club if they are getting a good deal.