Zaha

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Didn't he play as a CF when he thrived last season?

I know that he can play pretty much everywhere, but sometimes these small tactical changes can improve or weaken a players performance a lot. Kinda like Arnautovic switching from LW to CF and thriving.

MadMike

I've watched a lot of Palace this season and they were completely transformed when he returned. I believe a Palace fan on here also believes he could have a Mane like impact at a bigger side, so I don't think it's fair to say people who think he's good enough haven't watched him enough. He's frustrating but that's to be expected for a player of his ilk, he takes a ton of risks and is extremely direct, so it won't always come off. He also beats a man for fun and is an absolute nightmare for defenders because he's not only rapid and strong, but also extremely dangerous with the ball at his feet.
Agree. I remember how frustrating Nani was on bad day at his age (25) but feck me, I would have a 25yo Nani back in a heartbeat over playing Mata on the right wing. At least he was a threat you couldn't ignore and could produce magic on occasion too.

Like you said the premiums at the moment are insane. Chelsea want +70m for a 30yo winger that's never banged double figures in the league in his 5 years here, while playing for a club that's won the title twice in that time. I say that as a fan of Willian's talents too. BVB are asking for +60m for a promising but shaky teenager coming off a mediocre season in Bundesliga and one who's refusing to renew his contract as well.

Maybe I'm getting desperate but I really don't see many better options out there at the moment. And more than anything I think his immense athleticism would suit Mourinho's hit & hope play-style. Yes his decision making at times is suspect. But he can hold a ball extremely well and beat players to create openings even while outnumbered. He's the kind of player that needs to be double-marked most of the times. Oh and he tracks back and presses like a champion too.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Didn't he play as a CF when he thrived last season?

I know that he can play pretty much everywhere, but sometimes these small tactical changes can improve or weaken a players performance a lot. Kinda like Arnautovic switching from LW to CF and thriving.
He was just as good the season before and mostly played as a winger, and also looks just as threatening as he does when he plays centrally. I feel like Palace mainly use him as a CF due to that pace in behind the defence (Benteke doesn't move so it's needed) but he's threatening when he plays anywhere across the front 3. Not a case of a player only thriving due to a positional change.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Agree. I remember how frustrating Nani was on bad day at his age (25) but feck me, I would have a 25yo Nani back in a heartbeat over playing Mata on the right wing. At least he was a threat you couldn't ignore and could produce magic on occasion too.

Like you said the premiums at the moment are insane. Chelsea want +70m for a 30yo winger that's never banged double figures in the league in his 5 years here, while playing for a club that's won the title twice in that time. I say that as a fan of Willian's talents too. BVB are asking for +60m for a promising but shaky teenager coming off a mediocre season in Bundesliga and one who's refusing to renew his contract as well.

Maybe I'm getting desperate but I really don't see many better options out there at the moment. And more than anything I think his immense athleticism would suit Mourinho's hit & hope play-style. Yes his decision making at times is suspect. But he can hold a ball extremely well and beat players to create openings even while outnumbered. He's the kind of player that needs to be double-marked most of the times. Oh and he tracks back and presses like a champion too.
Yeah, exactly. I'm a fan of wide players who take risks, frustrating at times for sure but they can wreak havoc on opposition defenders and their unpredictability means that they're often the players who unlock tight packed, disciplined defences. The market is a total mess, so for a player proven in the premier league who has bags of talent and is pretty much often a one man act for Palace, you'd expect to pay a significant fee. Like I said, you have to think not 'what is he worth if all is fair and neutral' but 'what is he worth to Palace?' and the answer is a hell of a lot. They aren't going to risk losing him for 40 million or so, that's absolutely nothing in this market.

It's not desperate, imo. He's one of the best wide players in the Prem not playing at the top side, and I think all the signs are there he can step up. He's got that x-factor that everybody loves to watch, and like you say he combines that with a ton of athleticism which makes him an extremely dangerous player. He still has areas to work on but under the right coach I think he could thrive.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He was just as good the season before and mostly played as a winger, and also looks just as threatening as he does when he plays centrally. I feel like Palace mainly use him as a CF due to that pace in behind the defence (Benteke doesn't move so it's needed) but he's threatening when he plays anywhere across the front 3. Not a case of a player only thriving due to a positional change.
Fair enough :)

Ekeke

It isn't though.

Very few clubs accept sales with a buy back option. It means that if he turns really good there's a cap on how much the club could earn from that. Also the club is forced to accept the bid that meets the clause, regardless of how convenient or not the timing is. Like half-way through a critical season for example. That's too much risk with too little upside.

A sell-on fee on the other hand requires the club to willingly accept a bid and doesn't limit the upside potential on how much money they could make. It's more palatable for the buying club if they are getting a good deal.
I think considering we sold him for £3 million we should have been able to get the buyback in there. Would be different if we sold him for something like what we paid for him, but at that price he was always going to work out for Palace.

MadMike

I think considering we sold him for £3 million we should have been able to get the buyback in there. Would be different if we sold him for something like what we paid for him, but at that price he was always going to work out for Palace.
Well we only got him for 10m in the first place and we sold him for 3m plus a sell on fee which by the sounds of it (it's been described as "massive") would result in a profit of multiple times the difference. Sounds like we did good business, so it seems over the top to criticise the club for that.

Ekeke

Well we only got him for 10m in the first place and we sold him for 3m plus a sell on fee which by the sounds of it (it's been described as "massive") would result in a profit of multiple times the difference. Sounds like we did good business, so it seems over the top to criticise the club for that.
I think thats half of what he was worth at the time so I did think there would be the buyback option in there.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've watched a lot of Palace this season and they were completely transformed when he returned. I believe a Palace fan on here also believes he could have a Mane like impact at a bigger side, so I don't think it's fair to say people who think he's good enough haven't watched him enough. He's frustrating but that's to be expected for a player of his ilk, he takes a ton of risks and is extremely direct, so it won't always come off. He also beats a man for fun and is an absolute nightmare for defenders because he's not only rapid and strong, but also extremely dangerous with the ball at his feet.

His decision making isn't the best, but has markedly improved while at Palace, and he's perfectly capable of improving even more under a top manager and learning from other top players. He has all the tools to succeed anywhere he plays imo, a manager who gives creative freedom to his players (Klopp as the best example) would get fantastic results out of him I feel. He's basically the only threat at Palace, the likes of Benteke are trash tier players so he ends up getting triple marked because the opposition is absolutely aware of how dangerous he can be. Like I said, the difference between Palace with and without him is so stark.

Personally, I'd have loved him at Spurs. The pricetag is insane but that is the reality of our current market, to Palace he's absolutely worth 60-75m because the threat of relegation would be very real if they lost him.
I've watched them too and Zaha is the perfect player for their level of teams. Despite all his good performances, you can still see moments of absolute stupidty and cluelessness in his football, moments that won't be as forgiven if playing for a much bigger team with bigger pressure.
He is the perfect player for this kinda low level teams

MadMike

I've watched them too and Zaha is the perfect player for their level of teams. Despite all his good performances, you can still see moments of absolute stupidty and cluelessness in his football, moments that won't be as forgiven if playing for a much bigger team with bigger pressure.
A lot of those "perfect for this level", "not good enough for a big team" arguments were levelled at Mane too.

You might be right and you might be wrong. Someone will take a punt on him sooner or later and we'll find out whether he's got what it takes to make it at the top.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fundamentally disagree. Like @MadMike says, these are the kind of arguments that are often used for key men at lower teams .. Mane being a good example. I think he's a fantastic player who is fully capable of making the step-up, think it will be next summer.

lsd

The Oracle
He isn't capable of stepping up . He is similar to Kevin Mirallas looks good in smaller teams but can't do it week in week out at a bigger club

MadMike

He isn't capable of stepping up . He is similar to Kevin Mirallas looks good in smaller teams but can't do it week in week out at a bigger club
Strange comparison. Mirallas was never a talisman for Everton the way Zaha is for Palace. Lukaku was always the most talented forward in that team by a wide margin. Zaha carries the Palace attack on his own and has to play next to absolute dross like Benteke who was the butt of all the jokes for his missed chances last season. Neither did Mirallas ever have this X factor of great power/pace/dribbling that Zaha has. At his best, he was a very good cog in the Everton attack but he never stood out from his peers.

Some players can make the step up and some can't. We're not arguing that. I can understand believing that he doesn't have what it takes, I just don't see where this certainty comes from.

Last edited:

arthurka

Zaha has been fantastic since he came back , Utd should be all over this . He is a great watch, direct and aggressive. Would be great to have both him and Sanchez going full speed ahead vs teams with Mou's sit back and defend tactics.

kouroux

Fundamentally disagree. Like @MadMike says, these are the kind of arguments that are often used for key men at lower teams .. Mane being a good example. I think he's a fantastic player who is fully capable of making the step-up, think it will be next summer.
Just like there are just as many examples, if not more of players who failed when given the chance to join a bigger club. We're not talking about making the jump from a decent to a serious competitor here, but a relegation fodder to a serious competitor. The number of players who are able to make the jump is incredibly and nothing in Zaha makes me think he could do it.
A lot of those "perfect for this level", "not good enough for a big team" arguments were levelled at Mane too.

You might be right and you might be wrong. Someone will take a punt on him sooner or later and we'll find out whether he's got what it takes to make it at the top.
I never said I was right, just gave my opinion that's all. There is a reason he's been playing at Palace for a while. Nowhere near good enough and for Mané there are many more who have failed when given the chance to play for a much bigger team.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Just like there are just as many examples, if not more of players who failed when given the chance to join a bigger club. We're not talking about making the jump from a decent to a serious competitor here, but a relegation fodder to a serious competitor. The number of players who are able to make the jump is incredibly and nothing in Zaha makes me think he could do it.

I never said I was right, just gave my opinion that's all. There is a reason he's been playing at Palace for a while. Nowhere near good enough and for Mané there are many more who have failed when given the chance to play for a much bigger team.
Crystal Palace are a mid-table team with Zaha .. finished 11th last season. They're only 'relegation fodder' when they don't have him available.

Zaha has way more talent than the average player who makes the jump up. He's been playing at Palace for a while because he had a slow start to his career, like plenty of players who end up very good do, and then slowly developed at Palace. He's had a couple of injuries recently but it's pretty clear big clubs have been interested, it's just Palace have demanded huge money. Small teams can afford to keep their stars these days, he's only 25 .. only a bit older than Mane when he moved to Liverpool. Like I said, if he hadn't had a couple of injuries cutting up last season in particular, it's very likely a big club would have made a significant push for him. If he can stay fit this season I think it's his last for Palace.

I don't think there's many players in the league who carry their team the way Zaha does, hence why I think he can step up. I might be wrong but I don't like the idea that 'oh if you've watched him you'll know he's not good enough for a top team' because it's just untrue, the only Palace fan in this thread thinks he'd be fantastic at a top side, and presumably he watches him more than any of us.

arthurka

He shat it when he came here last, what's to say he won't this time? We need better than mid-table talismans.
He was 21 when he came and the club was in a shambolic state under Moyes. He is a class player today , he would be fantastic here.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He shat it when he came here last, what's to say he won't this time? We need better than mid-table talismans.
He was a very young player coming to a United team managed by Moyes. Plenty of youngsters fail at that age because they aren't ready for a top side, go elsewhere and develop, and return. Mane was a 'mid table talisman' and now he's a key player for Liverpool. Personally I think he made a mature decision by getting out of United quickly, rather than staying and allowing his career to rot he was prepared to drop down and improve his game at an unglamorous team. He's since proved he's too good for them and is deserving of another chance at a big side.

The attitude of 'Oh he only plays for a mid table/relegation side so isn't good enough' is really poor, imo. The likes of Mane, Trippier, Dembele, Robertson, VVD etc .. all played for mid table or relegated sides and are now key players at their respective top four teams. Matic wasn't good enough for Chelsea as a young player, went to a weaker league and came back ready, and won the division.

AR87

He was a very young player coming to a United team managed by Moyes. Plenty of youngsters fail at that age because they aren't ready for a top side, go elsewhere and develop, and return. Mane was a 'mid table talisman' and now he's a key player for Liverpool. Personally I think he made a mature decision by getting out of United quickly, rather than staying and allowing his career to rot he was prepared to drop down and improve his game at an unglamorous team. He's since proved he's too good for them and is deserving of another chance at a big side.

The attitude of 'Oh he only plays for a mid table/relegation side so isn't good enough' is really poor, imo. The likes of Mane, Trippier, Dembele, Robertson, VVD etc .. all played for mid table or relegated sides and are now key players at their respective top four teams. Matic wasn't good enough for Chelsea as a young player, went to a weaker league and came back ready, and won the division.
Good post.

MadMike

He was 21 when he came and the club was in a shambolic state under Moyes. He is a class player today , he would be fantastic here.
And he only played 2 games here anyway. Like you said, the club was in a mess and he was not ready himself then.

lsd

The Oracle
There is also the case that we are not interested in bringing him back anyway plus I doubt he would want to come back even if we were.

Bobski

Love watching him, but doubt he is good enough for a top level team who expects to be challenging. Inconsistent end product and his first touch might get exposed when he is playing against teams who sit deep and will have multiple men around him as the ball comes in. Gets a lot more space to use at Palace.

SuperiorXI

Some very good points made.

I still think it would be a risk to sign him. Even if there was a chance he would come back, there's no guarantees he won't bottle it again. The difference between Palace and United in terms of prestige is gargantuan. And I don't think we can take the risk in the state we're in right now.

kouroux

Crystal Palace are a mid-table team with Zaha .. finished 11th last season. They're only 'relegation fodder' when they don't have him available.

Zaha has way more talent than the average player who makes the jump up. He's been playing at Palace for a while because he had a slow start to his career, like plenty of players who end up very good do, and then slowly developed at Palace. He's had a couple of injuries recently but it's pretty clear big clubs have been interested, it's just Palace have demanded huge money. Small teams can afford to keep their stars these days, he's only 25 .. only a bit older than Mane when he moved to Liverpool. Like I said, if he hadn't had a couple of injuries cutting up last season in particular, it's very likely a big club would have made a significant push for him. If he can stay fit this season I think it's his last for Palace.

I don't think there's many players in the league who carry their team the way Zaha does, hence why I think he can step up. I might be wrong but I don't like the idea that 'oh if you've watched him you'll know he's not good enough for a top team' because it's just untrue, the only Palace fan in this thread thinks he'd be fantastic at a top side, and presumably he watches him more than any of us.
Honestly because a Palace fan would watch him more than me means jack shit as we all are avid PL viewers. When I think I shouldn't give my opinion on a matter because of lack of knowledge and information I just simply won't talk about it. I've seen enough of him to think he's perfect for the level he's playing at, I see nothing in his game that makes me think he could step up. That is how it is, either accept it or don't, it's your problem. Zaha carrying Crystal Palace doesn't impress me, they're fecking shit and he stands out among their rubbish squad.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Honestly because a Palace fan would watch him more than me means jack shit as we all are avid PL viewers. When I think I shouldn't give my opinion on a matter because of lack of knowledge and information I just simply won't talk about it. I've seen enough of him to think he's perfect for the level he's playing at, I see nothing in his game that makes me think he could step up. That is how it is, either accept it or don't, it's your problem. Zaha carrying Crystal Palace doesn't impress me, they're fecking shit and he stands out among their rubbish squad.
I don't have a problem with that, we obviously just rate the player differently. I expect one of us will be proven right at some point. All I was refuting was the argument that people who have watched him enough all know he isn't good enough when it simply isn't true.

kouroux

I don't have a problem with that, we obviously just rate the player differently. I expect one of us will be proven right at some point. All I was refuting was the argument that people who have watched him enough all know he isn't good enough when it simply isn't true.
I know I didn't make that argument so not sure what to tell you. All I do is talk about my opinion, the rest doesn't matter to me.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think Zaha is superb. He's developed terrifically. At the same time I can understand why some people have hesitations about him as there are one or two question marks. Still, I think if he does get his move he'll be a big success.

Agreed.

NotQuiteManc

I didn't watch much of Zaha last season, but I was aware that he performed really well and played centrally for a spell. From what I can see, he did look aggressive, work hard and always ready to run. Just not sure if he excelled at RM/RW for CP though. If he does/did, he might that player that United need.

forevrared

We do have a buyback clause on him. As an alternative to Rashford, I say why not.
Did we ever figure out what the clause entails? Do we just have first refusal at whatever price they accept from someone else or is there a set price? Surely if it were a set price, it would be a bargain fee by today's standards - although he seems like the antithesis of a Mourinho player.

We do have a buyback clause on him. As an alternative to Rashford, I say why not.
I believe we have a significant sell on clause, not a buy back clause.

Still the player would have to want to go to Utd. He didn’t have a good experience last time, and it’s not as if he was a player who grew up with the club, so has no affiliation to us.

Transfer Talk: Spurs' Zaha chase shut down by Palace
kwese.espn.com

20 Jun 2018 · Crystal Palace will offer Wilfried Zaha more than £120000 a week to ... full-back who has an affordable buyout clause of "just" £5.2 million
Googled and found this. No idea, if credible.
Even if that was true, that’s an agreement between the player and the club. It’s not an agreement between the two clubs, that we can purchase the player at a particular price (and no-one else can) - this is not a buy back agreement.

I don’t even need to look up that link to know Zaha does not have a release clause of £5m. If that was true, 20 clubs would be knocking on Palace’s door, he’s worth 10 x that amount in this market.

Smores

That wording is on about Albiol, it's a live blog of transfer stories. I mean seriously...

RedFish

Must be wrong.
Even if that was true, that’s an agreement between the player and the club. It’s not an agreement between the two clubs, that we can purchase the player at a particular price (and no-one else can) - this is not a buy back agreement.

I don’t even need to look up that link to know Zaha does not have a release clause of £5m. If that was true, 20 clubs would be knocking on Palace’s door, he’s worth 10 x that amount in this market.
That wording is on about Albiol, it's a live blog of transfer stories. I mean seriously...
Guys, I didn't read it. I don't give a toss.:cool: just showing he didn't pluck it from his imagination. :)