Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Even if he flops it's going to be fun watching us again. The last three years has been terrible, except for LvG having a go at the press.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Even if he flops it's going to be fun watching us again. The last three years has been terrible, except for LvG having a go at the press.
How will it be fun watching a 34 year old flop?

Believe me it will be more infuriating watching an old man fail miserably whilst still proclaiming himself to be a God than anything that has happened the last 3 years

villain

Hates Beyoncé
We need more winners in our team, players who won't accept losing to Norwich at home ffs.

Mourinho & Zlatan together will not only improve self-confidence & arrogance within our squad, but also get rid of a lot of the complacency that has been lingering around since SAF left. This is why teams come to OT and know there's the potential to draw or even win, there's no fear of playing us anymore because are filled with too many nice guys.

Obiorahking_

It's not so much about Ligue 1 being bad than it is about PSG being at a whole other level compared to the rest of the league. With PSG, he was in a team so far above any other teams level in the league and, on top of that, was constantly being given service by some of the best and most creative passers in world football in Verratti, Pastore and di María.

With us however, we aren't the best team in the league, nevermind levels above the whole of it, and we have yet to see if we can constantly create chances for him. With Mkhi, Martial, Carrick, etc, you'd think we could but nothing is for certain yet, and Zlatan needs service.
Wow good post.
Fair enough.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not so much about Ligue 1 being bad than it is about PSG being at a whole other level compared to the rest of the league. With PSG, he was in a team so far above any other teams level in the league and, on top of that, was constantly being given service by some of the best and most creative passers in world football in Verratti, Pastore and di María.

With us however, we aren't the best team in the league, nevermind levels above the whole of it, and we have yet to see if we can constantly create chances for him. With Mkhi, Martial, Carrick, etc, you'd think we could but nothing is for certain yet, and Zlatan needs service.
Even if he doesn't knock in 50 goals as he did last year in France, we can safely assume he will get half that if he plays the same amount of games, especially with the likes of Mkhitaryan, Mata, Herrera and others providing service.

Godfather

Believe me it will be more infuriating watching an old man fail miserably whilst still proclaiming himself to be a God than anything that has happened the last 3 years
This isn't the Rooney thread mate

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

How are you so sure that he will flop?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You'd think he plays in the Romanian 3rd Division the way some talk about the French league.
Not to mention the most high-profile recent imports have been very successful: Kante, Payet, Martial etc... Even the lower table players like Andre and Jordan Ayew were two of the best players for those two underperforming sides.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Even if he doesn't knock in 50 goals as he did last year in France, we can safely assume he will get half that if he plays the same amount of games, especially with the likes of Mkhitaryan, Mata, Herrera and others providing service.
I'd be very happy with that because it's not only goals we are after from him, so around 25 goals plus everything else he'd bring to the club would be nice. Though, I wouldn't "safely assume" that because, personally, I do remain sceptical as to how he'll perform for us until we get a clearer picture of how José's United looks. Especially if José continues the trend of trying to fit Rooney in no matter what.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You'd think he plays in the Romanian 3rd Division the way some talk about the French league.
@Yagami summarized it quite well, it's not an awful league but PSG are so far above all the opposition that it made it easier for him. He was part of why they were so much better, of course, but in every single position they had players that could've made it into the season XI, really. It got boring watching them at times given how much stronger they were.

And he was a bit disappointing in some of the knock out CL games, when it got tougher.

I think he'll do ok here, but nowhere near as well as with PSG.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
@Yagami summarized it quite well, it's not an awful league but PSG are so far above all the opposition that it made it easier for him. He was part of why they were so much better, of course, but in every single position they had players that could've made it into the season XI, really. It got boring watching them at times given how much stronger they were.

And he was a bit disappointing in some of the knock out CL games, when it got tougher.

I think he'll do ok here, but nowhere near as well as with PSG.
Yep agreed, which is why a 25 goal target seems completely realistic and far better than anything we had last year. And that doesn't factor in the intangibles of his experience and influence on the rest of the younger players and his synergy with Mourinho's tactics and personality.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yep agreed, which is why a 25 goal target seems completely realistic and far better than anything we had last year. And that doesn't factor in the intangibles of his experience and influence on the rest of the younger players and his synergy with Mourinho's tactics and personality.
Definitely. He's the player I'm most looking forward to seeing how he does cos I never really warmed to him before and I want to see what he can do in a Utd jersey. Gonna be an interesting one for sure.

PvsNP

While he scores plenty of goals with service, Zlatan's overall game isn't that dependent on it. He's actually a decent playmaker. Although he does need the players around him to make the necessary runs.

The Red Thinker

We as a whole lack arrogance which stops us from being winners. Zlatan is the opposite of that and he makes other peoples' game levels rise. That is why am so happy we got him.

That, and his amazing quotes :drool:
Exactly this.

I miss
the arrogance that defined us. Arrogance or Ego as Zlatan says is also a quality. If you're not egoistic you don't have ambition. Ambition is what we have missed for 3 years.

Moyes didn't understand.
LVG didn't dare to use it.
Now we have a man filled by bit with player on the field that lives for it.

The Red Thinker

We need more winners in our team, players who won't accept losing to Norwich at home ffs.

Mourinho & Zlatan together will not only improve self-confidence & arrogance within our squad, but also get rid of a lot of the complacency that has been lingering around since SAF left. This is why teams come to OT and know there's the potential to draw or even win, there's no fear of playing us anymore because are filled with too many nice guys.
Fixed.

Yagami

Good post resistant
While he scores plenty of goals with service, Zlatan's overall game isn't that dependent on it. He's actually a decent playmaker. Although he does need the players around him to make the necessary runs.
Yeah, though he was a bit incosistent with the quality of his passing, I did see him play some beautiful passes last year that were world class. However, I do believe he his largely dependent on service as, from what I've seen, he isn't a type of player who can consistantly create something out of nothing for himself as his dribbling isn't anything special, and his touch can be quite heavy at times taking him backwards rather than forward. He's definitely capable of creating something out of nothing of course, just not consistantly enough to not be labeled as a striker who's more dependent on service rather than not.

I'd compare him as a forward to how Cole/Yorke were around '99, but probably better. He can definitely contribute to the build-up play and hold the ball up to a good standard, but his main quality is being a killer in the box. So, rather than him dropping deep and helping create something (which I'm not denying he can do) which isn't what he's great at, it's better for him to be on the shoulder of defences and lurking inside the box, waiting for the service to put his killer instincts in front of goal into action.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I like this signing a lot. Even if he does not score 30 goals, he can bring back an attitude and arrogance that we missed badly. Push our players and help Jose. On top of all, some excitement and skill. This is so much more than just goals

baanke laal

banned
Zlatan is never the one to back down. :lol:

He never makes these statements seriously though & it's amazing he says them with a straight face. He is an epic troll!

Robertd0803

Totally forgot that happened. :lol::lol: Zlatan doing his best Roman Reigns impression.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yet the last 2 PFA Players of the Year have come from Ligue 1.

It's still a quality league. The way some are going about it, you'd think a bunch of no names play in Ligue 1.
The statistics are inflated a bit because the disparity between PSG and everyone else is overwhelming. I think Ibra should be good for 15+ goals, though.

Eddy_JukeZ

The statistics are inflated a bit because the disparity between PSG and everyone else is overwhelming. I think Ibra should be good for 15+ goals, though.
Maybe, but Ibra also scored 30+ in his last season at Milan in the Serie A. I think he's just hit his prime then and keeps getting better.

But we'll see. I'll be shocked if he scores less than 25+.

Redlyn

To be fair he didn't say it will be fun watching him flop...he said it will be fun to watch US even if he flops. We have so many other things to look forward to this season. Given how insipid last season was, it can only go up from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.