5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavdim2002

People are going on about Zlatan slowing the game, Mata slowing the game etc. Do these people not understand that football, at the highest level anyway, is all about the ability to change the tempo of a game. All top sides in the world (since Cruyff) have had the ability of changing the tempo of a game many times during a match – this is actually one clear sign of the fact that you indeed are a top team. People who want 90+ min. full of pace, but without any real footballing ability, should be watching English 2nd or 3rd division teams and not top level football.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

Andersons Dietician

To be fair, I think you are the one who needs to get a grip. Our fans and the media aren’t acting remotely like that. Everyone was a lot giddier when Valencia returned from his broken leg for example.
Seriously lad, we weren’t knocking him but the over exaggeration by the fans of what was happening. Listen if you’ve got a pinger for Zlatan and any sense of reality sets you off then fare enough. But I can’t be bothered debating with fanatics.
But let’s just go our separate ways.

Seriously lad, we weren’t knocking him but the over exaggeration by the fans of what was happening. Listen if you’ve got a pinger for Zlatan and any sense of reality sets you off then fare enough. But I can’t be bothered debating with fanatics.
But let’s just go our separate ways.
Fanatic... no, just a fan.

You prefer moaning I notice, moaning about how Lukaku finished his goal yesterday, moaning about how Shaw didn’t get brought on, moaning about some fans bantering about Zlatan.

Basically you’re pretty miserable, lighten up fella. We won 4-1, I’d hate to see you after a loss.

Andersons Dietician

Fanatic... no, just a fan.

You prefer moaning I notice, moaning about how Lukaku finished his goal yesterday, moaning about how Shaw didn’t get brought on, moaning about some fans bantering about Zlatan.

Basically you’re pretty miserable, lighten up fella. We won 4-1, I’d hate to see you after a loss.
Sure thing hoss!! Funny when people moan about people moaning :lol::lol:

Andersons Dietician

People are going on about Zlatan slowing the game, Mata slowing the game etc. Do these people not understand that football, at the highest level anyway, is all about the ability to change the tempo of a game. All top sides in the world (since Cruyff) have had the ability of changing the tempo of a game many times during a match – this is actually one clear sign of the fact that you indeed are a top team. People that want 90+ min. full of pace, but without any real footballing ability, should be watching English 2nd or 3rd division teams and not top level football.
That’s all well and good and I agree with the sentiment but neither of the players mentioned do that. There is no doubting their qualities both fantastic footballers but it’s their impacts on the team that matters.

Zlatan seems to bring a lot of Just general hijinx and banter to the squad. Seems to be a good atmosphere around it. Pogba and the youngsters play a part in that as well.
On the pitch what I think people are referring to based off of last season is his tendency to always come deep and yesterday it was obvious much like last season he compacted the game and we didn’t have an outlet up front.
It was his first game back, but that’s the same issue we had last year. Where in with Lukaku you can see the difference in the space he creates for others. I’d imagine Zlatan wouldn’t mind being partnered with Lukaku as Lukaku would again create more space for Zlatan to operate in which should hopefully increase the intensity and speed of how we play.

Andersons Dietician

I’m not moaning, just calling a spade a spade. I honestly don’t think you can help it, you’re a glass half empty bloke.
You mean a realist?

I mean it’s funny also that if you read that thing about Shaw you would have seen the highlights and praise for the team as well then or does that just not fit with your narrative?

Backrow Singer

He's a leader, he's a winner and he's inspirational. You can see from the stands the influence he has, the way he organises and pushes people around the field.

Great to have him back in the team.

gavdim2002

That’s all well and good and I agree with the sentiment but neither of the players mentioned do that. There is no doubting their qualities both fantastic footballers but it’s their impacts on the team that matters.

Zlatan seems to bring a lot of Just general hijinx and banter to the squad. Seems to be a good atmosphere around it. Pogba and the youngsters play a part in that as well.
On the pitch what I think people are referring to based off of last season is his tendency to always come deep and yesterday it was obvious much like last season he compacted the game and we didn’t have an outlet up front.
It was his first game back, but that’s the same issue we had last year. Where in with Lukaku you can see the difference in the space he creates for others. I’d imagine Zlatan wouldn’t mind being partnered with Lukaku as Lukaku would again create more space for Zlatan to operate in which should hopefully increase the intensity and speed of how we play.

Lukaku had not scored for 5 or 6 games now before Mata played him in for his goal yesterday, a fact that clearly shows that also Lukaku has got his bad spells and limitations. I don’t agree on the notion that Zlatan and Mata are not able to change the tempo of a game – On the contrary, they are two of the very few players that we have got who have got that ability e.g. Marcus, Mikey, Martial and Lukaku can’t do that, which is why José knows how important they are in our setup.

Andersons Dietician

Lukaku had not scored for 5 or 6 games now before Mata played him in for his goal yesterday, a fact that clearly shows that also Lukaku has got his bad spells and limitations. I don’t agree on the notion that Zlatan and Mata are not able to change the tempo of a game – On the contrary, they are two of the very few players that we have got who have got that ability e.g. Marcus, Mikey, Martial and Lukaku can’t do that, which is why José knows how important they are in our setup.
I’m honestly trying to rack my brain to any moment where either would have shown you they control and dictate the tempo of our games. If anything Carrick is the one within our team best at doing such a thing.

The part I mention about Lukaku is like what Jose always says he offers more than goals. Which is the runs and movement and threat inbehind he offers. This causes defences to react to him differently which in turn creates space for your Martials, Rashford,Mata’s, Miki’s, Pogba’s and so on to do their work. Zlatan compacts that space.

To be honest the best display of tempo change and control I’ve seen from us in recent years was LVG vs Pool when he had Sweini and Carrick in the middle and they absolutely bossed that game and were in control of every aspect of it.

Roberto420

Its no coincidence Martial and Rashford are having better seasons without Zlatan( goals and assists are proof) because Lukaku is stretching play and making space for others

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Impress presence on the pitch, not just any other player. He didn't get his #10 Rooney role as he was saying, but he could work there, in some games, not all, of course.

gavdim2002

Impress presence on the pitch, not just any other player. He didn't get his #10 Rooney role as he was saying, but he could work there, in some games, not all, of course.
Its no coincidence Martial and Rashford are having better seasons without Zlatan( goals and assists are proof) because Lukaku is stretching play and making space for others

It sure is no coincidence that we can’t handle top teams due to lack of applied creative talent.

United_We_Stand

“If people knew the real injury they would be in shock that I was even playing,” said Ibrahimovic. “It was more than the ACL - but I will keep it personal. That’s why I choose not to talk of it.

gavdim2002

Against weaker teams Lukaku stretching play will be beneficial to Martial and Rashford as they will have more space to run into, which they need to be effective. But there is a limit to this approach and it will never take us back to the top. In order to be the top cat in EPL – and a force in Europe – you have to apply more footballing talent than José has been willing to do.

peridigm

ACL injuries often lead to meniscus tears or ruptures as well.

Edit: I should have said meniscus injuries accompany ACL injuries. Especially the way his injury occurred.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I just think we Zlatan, it would be great to have him at the club for 2/3+ years. I think he's going to be one of those players, that has such great standards. In his first season, we can say he missed too many for someone of his ability but his record was still good and he was playing game after game. I think in a withdrawn role, he can do what Rooney couldn't which is get in the box and still have that look of a threat. Obviously he was pumped up and maybe that helped him but would like to see him create something great here at United

prtk0811

Him along side pogba and lukaku and martial and rashford will be a deadly combination with his link up and play making skills.

I also feel mata and mkh 's playmaking is much more better with ibra and pogba who can hold theball and pass and circulate well and they suddenly become more dangerous on the right.

If He's super fit and we are successfull on the pitch this year, than it will be a real troublesome decision to let ibra go when he's so good.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Love the guy and hope he can make a serious contribution after coming back, but he’s miles away from being ready for the festive fixtures right now. He should be getting this initial game time in the reserves, as he is a passenger currently. We can carry him at home, but not away.

Eddy_JukeZ

Had some good moments, but Jose needs to stop bringing him on and then moving Lukaku to the right.

That's just nonsense. Just ease Ibra in without killing the team balance please.

Rajma

Love him to bits, but as people were rightly predicting he might disrupt some of our balance given the Jose's obsession with him. For now he should be used exclusively to sub Lukaku off.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Brought on when Mourinho had decided to go for the draw.

The United

This guy should sub off lukaku. No point playing him and lukaku together. He has always been a no 9 type player and it won't change him now at 36.

In fact, playing him anywhere but up front is not ideal for the team who has some kind of balance problem that the manager is talking about.

Paul_Scholes18

Lukaku and Zlatan don't seem to really work well. If Pep struggle with Jesus and Aguero in the team who both are mobile and with more pace we will struggle with these 2. When you are chasingr goals I think it could work, but like today it just didn't help our defense much at all. If we play these 2 together in any of the big games it will be a disaster I think.

Minkaro

I'm in agreement with those saying he should have come on for Lukaku. By taking Martial off, you lose pace, and you lose a degree of width (Martial's probably going to cut inside most of the time, but he could go wide). When Ibra and Lukaku were on together, we seemed to resort to hoping they could play games of head tennis in the general direction of the Basel goal.

Sylar

Had no issue with him coming on. But agreed with above, the balance was disrupted with Martial going off. Lukaku out wide doesnt work. Hes fine when he goes out there then comes in (as a striker) but starting out there is easier to mark. Hes not a wide man despite going out wide at times to pull defenders away.
Lukaku and Zlatan up top would work if we played 352 or 442 or something similar. as a 433 its just pushing them into a team without much of a plan.

Ideally we should have been winning by a few goals when he came on and that wouldnt have been a problem, not when we needed a goal.

Acole9

Outstanding
He played alright, probably a little too deep at times. It was difficult to tell whether he was supposed to be playing up top as Lukaku drifted out to the right a little bit. I'd like to see them both up top together.

Oldham

Can't really see Zlatan and Lukaku play together. Zlatan should be back-up for Lukaku. Or vice versa, as Lukaku is terribly of form...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Looked like he was brought on in more of a 'false 9' role tonight but he was really deep at times.
Both times he has come in we have gone 4-3-3 with three genuine centre forwards. Rashford on the inside left, Zlatan central as a trequartista and Lukaku inside right.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Not sure how anyone could have got the impression that they can't play together from that match, they even linked up a few times with by winning a few headers. Just as long as the flanks aren't too exposed when you take off a winger then it's fine.

El Jefe

As much as I'm not a fan of Lukaku, what purpose is Zlatan serving to the team apart from being a hindrance to Lukaku and making us even easier to defend against.

He has 6 months left with us, so let's treat him like it and only use him when lukaku needs a rest.

The tactic of Lukaku on the wing and Ibra up front is bullshit and will never work.

When we were doing well earlier in the season, many called it and questioned the impact his return would have? While its still too early to judge, my guess is more negative will come out of it than positives.

Minimalist

Zlatan is a brilliant player. Either that or our other attackers are shite (or poorly coached).

Really doesn't matter why, he should be playing regularly.

SuperiorXI

Not sure how anyone could have got the impression that they can't play together from that match, they even linked up a few times with by winning a few headers. Just as long as the flanks aren't too exposed when you take off a winger then it's fine.
It was so obvious from the way Zlatan played last season he could easily slot in behind Lukaku as a 9 1/2 or full 10. I really don't understand why many didn't think it would work...

el3mel

Lacks match fitness but class is still here.

Don't think we'll see the best of him till the new year. Currently he's just getting minutes to restore his fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.