Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole90+3

Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Raffael (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Cavani

I'd rather take a risk on any of these 10 than Ibra - that is how little I think he will contribute to this team.

That list is only of player who I expect to be very attainable. Not to mention 2 option who would fit the bill perfectly - Kane and Aubumeyang. I know they will be almost impossible to get.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

I'd rather take a risk on any of these 10 than Ibra - that is how little I think he will contribute to this team.

That list is only of player who I expect to be very attainable. Not to mention 2 option who would fit the bill perfectly - Kane and Aubumeyang. I know they will be almost impossible to get.
Wow!
That's a very underwhelming list. I don't think half of them are united quality.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

You're against signing the best striker PSG have but for signing someone who has looked a couple of levels comfortably below him. Also Ighalo over Ibrahimovic?

Ole90+3

Wow!
That's a very underwhelming list. I don't think half of them are united quality.
You never know whether a player has the ability to step it up a gear at the highest stage until they are given a chance. That's why it's called taking a risk. There are countless amounts of players who have looked exceptional at other leagues and lower teams in the PL, move to United or another top team and not been able to cut it.

Ole90+3

You're against signing the best striker PSG have but for signing someone who has looked a couple of levels comfortably below him. Also Ighalo over Ibrahimovic?
He's going to be 35 in October. No top team has a player that old, slow and so partial to a strop. It's a marquee signing that's all. I'm very confident he would contribute very little. But he is a free transfer, so a one year deal couldn't hurt.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
He's going to be 35 in October. No top team has a player that old, slow and so partial to a strop. It's a marquee signing that's all. I'm very confident he would contribute very little. But he is a free transfer, so a one year deal couldn't hurt.
He's been in the form of his life this season. He's slow? What? Are you forgetting how some players performed at that age? Not a single alternative you listed is on his level currently. Kane and Aubumeyang are the only ones that come close and neither seem obtainable. The thought of us passing up on Zlatan and signing a player with the technical ability of someone like Lukaku is disturbing.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
You never know whether a player has the ability to step it up a gear at the highest stage until they are given a chance. That's why it's called taking a risk. There are countless amounts of players who have looked exceptional at other leagues and lower teams in the PL, move to United or another top team and not been able to cut it.
Gameiro and Higuain have already failed at bigger clubs and most other options seem worse than sticking Martial up front and recruiting a winger. I understand the ageism though, most strikers don't perform at 35.

NoLogo

Well he just comes of a season where he scored 30 league goals so he still looks like he is in great form and since his play style doesn't require him to be very quick I could see him play at the highest level until he is 37. Let's give him a rolling 1 year contract that extends if he meets certain game and goal targets. I could easily see him being our main striker until we are able to bring in someone like Kane.

Ole90+3

Gameiro and Higuain have already failed at bigger clubs and most other options seem worse than sticking Martial up front and recruiting a winger. I understand the ageism though, most strikers don't perform at 35.
Gameiro was very promptly shown the door when Ibra was brought in, even though he was playing well and showing good promise. Higuain had an excellent record for Real, but they got an upgrade in Benzema. I think 'failed' is extremely harsh.

Watching United with Berbatov, Old Rooney and Falcao up front has really made me seriously opposed to slow strikers. I miss the days of our front 3 breaking with pace.

Ole90+3

Well he just comes of a season where he scored 30 league goals so he still looks like he is in great form and since his play style doesn't require him to be very quick I could see him play at the highest level until he is 37. Let's give him a rolling 1 year contract that extends if he meets certain game and goal targets. I could easily see him being our main striker until we are able to bring in someone like Kane.
Rooney would have scored 30 goals last season for PSG last season.

Dominos

I think you misunderstood. I was being sarcastic with the 35 y.o striker thing, considering the effect that Larrson had here.
He scored 3 goals in 13 matches. His impact is so massively overstated on here, he was average for 3 months then left, we were just in desperate need of a striker at that time.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

Zlatan is absolutely streets ahead of all of these.

Ole90+3

Zlatan is absolutely streets ahead of all of these.
Technically - without a doubt.

But they have pace, a good first touch and are proven goalscorers.

The list was constructed mainly to illustrate how much I am 'meh' to us signing Ibra. He is so slow and lazy. I can also imagine he is horrible to play with.

Acquire Me

Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We should've signed Ibra the summer Ruud left. That said, I'm pretty sure he would've lasted a year or two under Fergie and left in Keane, Becks, or Stam fashion.

Ole90+3

I can already picture the criticsm from our fans if we sign Ibra.

"He's too slow for our main striker"
"He needs the ball perfectly to his feet or head every time or he doesn't bother"
"He never gets in behind the defence"
"He slows down our attack so much"

Acquire Me

I can already picture the criticsm from our fans if we sign Ibra.

"He's too slow for our main striker"
"He needs the ball perfectly to his feet or head every time or he doesn't bother"
"He never gets in behind the defence"
"He slows down our attack so much"
30 goals later, the same people love him :lol:

Ole90+3

30 goals later, the same people love him :lol:
If he scores 15 goals next season it will have been a worthwhile transfer! I just don't see it.

Football fans are the most fickle of the lot, and I'm not different. If he comes here and scores screamers and fits in with Mourinho's system then I will happily admit I was wrong here.

Like I've stated previously, I think a one year rolling deal would be good for both parties, I'd be all for it. But not if it means our acquisition for another main striker ends.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

What a weak list.

Vardy just signed a contract. Lukaku will cost 50-60m. Higuain around 40m. The rest of your list i'm not convinced will be able to cope with being the main striker at United. Janssen probably being the pick of the bunch. And having Cavani on the list but overlooking Ibra is laughable.
It's more than just relying on ability, there's expectation that comes with playing for United, and we're a disjointed United as well where a striker needs to come in guaranteeing goals and play with the confidence that they will score every match. Which Ibra has in abundance.

Ibra has proved at at the highest level throughout his career, in Europe, at international level, and won titles in every country he's played in.

But you'd rather sign 2nd and 3rd rate strikers in less competitive leagues?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

JohnnyLaw

Higuain would be my first choice. Then Lacazette.
These are good alternatives IMO. I don't think that buying another striker is of detriment to the likes of Rashford and Martial just yet. Rashford still needs to prove that himself and Martial isn't necessarily going to move centrally despite that being the expectation.

Most of the arguements used against (and for) the signing of Ibra are just as valid for Higuain. He's not 35, he's turning 29, but he comes with a 40-50 m £ price-tag. I'd rather go with Ibra and save some of that money for other investments and see how our young boys progress.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The whole point of buying Ibra is goals and the fact that he's free. He will have high wages but it would be a small price to pay for a year in exchange for his contribution (goals, experience, swag). The year or two he is with us would give the likes of Martial, Rashford, Memphis et al a bit of top cover to develop without the immense pressure of being forced into being our primary bread winners. The free bit would also allow us to double down on players like Griezmann and others who will no doubt cost 60m or more.

Ole90+3

What a weak list.

Vardy just signed a contract. Lukaku will cost 50-60m. Higuain around 40m. The rest of your list i'm not convinced will be able to cope with being the main striker at United. Janssen probably being the pick of the bunch. And having Cavani on the list but overlooking Ibra is laughable.
It's more than just relying on ability, there's expectation that comes with playing for United, and we're a disjointed United as well where a striker needs to come in guaranteeing goals and play with the confidence that they will score every match. Which Ibra has in abundance.

Ibra has proved at at the highest level throughout his career, in Europe, at international level, and won titles in every country he's played in.

But you'd rather sign 2nd and 3rd rate strikers in less competitive leagues?
It's really not. He's 5 years younger, has pace and an endless work rate. His attitude has always struck me as very professional, being played out of position for pretty much his entire time at PSG. His scoring rate at Napoli is down right ridiculous and very impressive at PSG as well.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
These are good alternatives IMO. I don't think that buying another striker is of detriment to the likes of Rashford and Martial just yet. Rashford still needs to prove that himself and Martial isn't necessarily going to move centrally despite that being the expectation.

Most of the arguements used against (and for) the signing of Ibra are just as valid for Higuain. He's not 35, he's turning 29, but he comes with a 40-50 m £ price-tag. I'd rather go with Ibra and save some of that money for other investments and see how our young boys progress.
Higuain is second tier and always has been, we need top tier strikers and even at 35 Ibra is just that

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The whole point of buying Ibra is goals and the fact that he's free. He will have high wages but it would be a small price to pay for a year in exchange for his contribution (goals, experience, swag). The year or two he is with us would give the likes of Martial, Rashford, Memphis et al a bit of top cover to develop without the immense pressure of being forced into being our primary bread winners.
Agreed, especially that second part. Memphis in particular would benefit from one or two big names taking the stage rather than people expecting him to light up the league instantly. Martial probably doesn't need that same help!

Nuts

Ibra is a Larson style signing - a fantasy addition to the squad who'd add flair temporarily.

He shouldn't be used to bandage over the gaping flaws in the squad, and shouldn't be the only attacker we sign this year.

Let's face it, at 34/35 he should be our 3rd choice striker not our first.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
ZlatON and MourONho
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro On the bench when Ibra was in the starting 11 in 2012/13 :smirk: Physically limited to play in the EPL
Slimani
Raffael (Borussia Monchengladbach) 31 years old, 15 goals in 39 games,
Cavani He can't leave PSG

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It's really not. He's 5 years younger, has pace and an endless work rate. His attitude has always struck me as very professional, being played out of position for pretty much his entire time at PSG. His scoring rate at Napoli is down right ridiculous and very impressive at PSG as well.
Except in games he's filled in at his preferred central forward position, he's been underwhelming. And in CL his goal scoring record isn't really great even when he was at Napoli.
I just don't think he would be able to be a main striker with the expectation of scoring minimum 15 league goals every season.

JohnnyLaw

Higuain is second tier and always has been, we need top tier strikers and even at 35 Ibra is just that
I don't watch Serie A anymore so I can't really judge on Higuain other than that he has a fantastic record the last few years. As I said though I would go with Ibra.

Ole90+3

Except in games he's filled in at his preferred central forward position, he's been underwhelming. And in CL his goal scoring record isn't really great even when he was at Napoli.
I just don't think he would be able to be a main striker with the expectation of scoring minimum 15 league goals every season.
How would you expect Ibra to play on the left wing?

Ibra's record in the latter stages of the CL is pretty awful as well. This is where he has mainly let me down, he has constantly disappointed when given the opportunity to be the main man in the biggest games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Cavani

Some I haven't even heard of/seen but I love these two.

Cavani is quite evidently a far inferior footballer to Ibrahimovic. Pretty easy to tell given they play for the same team.

Ighalo :lol:

But they have pace, a good first touch and are proven goalscorers.
Another gem.

Oh yes, strikers like Ighalo are "proven goalscorers". Whereas Ibrahimovic ... I don't even need to make this comment look bad.

I can also imagine he is horrible to play with.
I agree. Players like playing with mid-table level strikers like Ighalo. After all, it's every footballer's ultimate dream to play with average footballers and hence look relatively better.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Higuain is an excellent striker but he costs more than €60m

villain

Hates Beyoncé
How would you expect Ibra to play on the left wing?

Ibra's record in the latter stages of the CL is pretty awful as well. This is where he has mainly let me down, he has constantly disappointed when given the opportunity to be the main man in the biggest games.
Ibra isn't pushed out of position because he's the better striker, and scores more goals.

Ole90+3

Some I haven't even heard of/seen but I love these two.

Cavani is quite evidently a far inferior footballer to Ibrahimovic. Pretty easy to tell given they play for the same team.

Ighalo :lol:

Another gem.

Oh yes, strikers like Ighalo are "proven goalscorers". Whereas Ibrahimovic ... I don't even need to make this comment look bad.

I agree. Players like playing with mid-table level strikers like Ighalo. After all, it's every footballer's ultimate dream to play with average footballers and hence look relatively better.
Ok, you're really going all out on that Ighalo one. But he has really impressed me this season. He's explosive, and reckon he could shine in a better team. Remember he has been playing in a woeful Watford team but still managed to be the top goal scorer in the English league in October with over 20 goals. 35 Goals in 58 starts in the toughest league in the world isn't too bad, considering the support he has had.

He also rejected offers from some top PL teams in January and apparently Atletico Madrid. They must see something in him.

Ole90+3

Ibra isn't pushed out of position because he's the better striker, and scores more goals.
Also, if that happened, could you imagine the fuss he would kick up?

But that would never happen at such a big club, an old striker being played in his favoured position regardless of better options being available in order to keep esteemed player happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.