Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

After watching Harry Kane have yet another shocker again tonight I'm even more convinced that the Premier League isn't streets ahead of France like @Twigginater and @Dobbs would have us believe, if Kane and Vardy can score 20 odd goals a season here, Zlatan will absolutely take the fecking piss.
It's all about giving him the service. Create plenty of chances and Ibrahimovic will bang in plenty of goals. No doubt one of the reasons we're signing the assist-machine Mkhitaryan.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
After watching Harry Kane have yet another shocker again tonight I'm even more convinced that the Premier League isn't streets ahead of France like @Twigginater and @Dobbs would have us believe, if Kane and Vardy can score 20 odd goals a season here, Zlatan will absolutely take the fecking piss.
It's the best standard league in the world, but that doesn't mean it features a high level of English players.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Assuming he comes. If we create the chances he'll score plenty. Its no coincidence that Kane is top scorer given that Spurs create statistically the most chances the league, also that he plays more minutes than any other striker.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nor were the opponents Harry faced in this tournament @Raoul
They are not as good as those he faces in the Prem. Club football is in most cases superior to NT footy, since the players often train and play together for years, know one another's tendencies, and have better squad solidarity. Plus International tournaments almost always happen in summers where club players are knackered after slogging through 60 plus fixtures. Kane did underachieve, as did others like Lewandowski, Ronaldo et al.

They are not as good as those he faces in the Prem. Club football is in most cases superior to NT footy, since the players often train and play together for years, know one another's tendencies, and have better squad solidarity. Plus International tournaments almost always happen in summers where club players are knackered after slogging through 60 plus fixtures. Kane did underachieve, as did others like Lewandowski, Ronaldo et al.
Agreed, and my point still stands, if a player of Kane's ability can score 25... Zlatan will absolutely rip this league up.

sully1

Remember Falcao. Before seeing him play in the league most people would have told you he was a guaranteed 30+ goals season striker

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Remember Falcao. Before seeing him play in the league most people would have told you he was a guaranteed 30+ goals season striker
Most people ignore the consequences of a long-term injury.

Red Stone

People comparing Falcao to Zlatan are clutching at straws.

Zlatan is a completely different beast when it comes to technical ability and physical presence. Those two things don't disappear as quickly as a player's pace and explosiveness, which was the thing Falcao relied on, both to get the better of defenders in a foot race and to leap up and head the ball. It's no surprise that an injury that affects exactly that area of his game turned the tiger into a kitten.

Zlatan scored twice as many goals per game last season as Falcao did in France even before his injury. Yes, Ibra did have a better team behind him, but Falcao's team mates came 2nd in the league that season even with Falcao gone for most of it. Monaco had James who played the best season of his career so far that year, plus the likes of Moutinho, Toulalan, Kurzawa and Fabinho. Not a bad squad. All of them would've gotten plenty of games for our team that season.

If Zlatan doesn't beat Falcao's United tally by a factor of at least five I'll be surprised. I expect him to pass 20 goals easily in his first season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Comparing Falcao with Zlatan ? Really ?

Falcao was coming off a major injury whilst Ibra is coming off a career best year.

Shark

@NotShark
I feel like I've have seen the Falcao/Ibra transfer comparison 100's of times in this thread and various others. How many times do you need to address it before people just stop saying it? it's a stupid and lazy argument.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Not universally highly rated by the mass = less marketable value. Not demanded by other big teams, and not a signing that can significantly add chances of winning trophy. A senior figure at United, but not true leader material...
How many strikers in the world are universally highly rated by the mass? Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Lewa, Muller, Aguero.. Anyone else? You'd struggle to find 10 anyway.. and I'd argue that only the first 3 are more marketable than Zlatan.
Not a signing that can add chances of winning... wum statement.
Not true leader material.. What do you base this on? The complete opposite of the information given by the entire Swedish NT where he was the captain or 98% of the PSG organisation where he was also the captain?

I mean he hasn't lifted his country above it's level often enough (or at all). We're talking high standards here, but the best players are the ones that raise the level of the players around them, and push the team beyond what they'd be capable of without him. Certainly, it doesn't merit the kind of plaudits he's been getting over the last few days, as though it's the end of an era. What era? What difference did Ibrahimovic make?

To put it another way, would they have achieved anything less over the last 10 years without him? If you can't distinguish between what a national team has achieved with a great player to what they could have achieved without him, I think that is a good definition for failure (and I use the term loosely) on the international level.

I suppose using that definition, Ronaldo and Rooney have also both been failures on the international stage (an opinion I would also probably agree with).

Also, you know, I just don't like his self-obsession and delusions of grandeur, which may be biasing my opinion a bit.
A lot of things have been written in this thread but this might just be the least educated one yet. I'm sorry but it's true.
The first bolded part is probably the exact words they will use when they give Zlatan some sort of thank you for his contributions to the Swedish NT.

The second bolded part is a big part of why I called your post uneducated, because he has made ALL the difference and then some. We wouldn't have gone to the 2012 Euro's without him, we wouldn't have been one goal away from going to the 2014 WC without him and we definitely wouldn't have gone to this years Euro's without him, because our current NT has been labeled "the worst we've ever had", and rightfully so. We've been a one-man team for quite a while, and he has delivered in spades even so.
Even though I am extremely biased, anyone who has watched Sweden's games the last 6-7 years would agree. Probably even the guys who claim that their mothers could've scored 50+ goals for PSG last season would agree. :D

The third bolded part is pretty common though I guess, and one I can totally understand. Even though he often say things tounge in cheek which gets lost if you read it or hear it from someone else which most people do. But still, I get it. :D

ti vu

How many strikers in the world are universally highly rated by the mass? Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Lewa, Muller, Aguero.. Anyone else? You'd struggle to find 10 anyway.. and I'd argue that only the first 3 are more marketable than Zlatan.
Not a signing that can add chances of winning... wum statement.
Not true leader material.. What do you base this on? The complete opposite of the information given by the entire Swedish NT where he was the captain or 98% of the PSG organisation where he was also the captain?

A lot of things have been written in this thread but this might just be the least educated one yet. I'm sorry but it's true.
The first bolded part is probably the exact words they will use when they give Zlatan some sort of thank you for his contributions to the Swedish NT.

The second bolded part is a big part of why I called your post uneducated, because he has made ALL the difference and then some. We wouldn't have gone to the 2012 Euro's without him, we wouldn't have been one goal away from going to the 2014 WC without him and we definitely wouldn't have gone to this years Euro's without him, because our current NT has been labeled "the worst we've ever had", and rightfully so. We've been a one-man team for quite a while, and he has delivered in spades even so.
Even though I am extremely biased, anyone who has watched Sweden's games the last 6-7 years would agree. Probably even the guys who claim that their mothers could've scored 50+ goals for PSG last season would agree. :D

The third bolded part is pretty common though I guess, and one I can totally understand. Even though he often say things tounge in cheek which gets lost if you read it or hear it from someone else which most people do. But still, I get it. :D
Do you know who I was talking about in my post?

Hint: quote my full post.

finndt

Zlatan playing for us will be surreal thing to see. I'm certain that he'll be a massive hit or a big flop. I'm even more convinced that he won't be nothing in between.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Zlatan playing for us will be surreal thing to see. I'm certain that he'll be a massive hit or a big flop. I'm even more convinced that he won't be nothing in between.
I think he'll score 12 goals. 1 or 2 in big games.

Does that count as in between or flop?

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Have to say he grew on me after single-handedly carrying Sweden in the play-offs. Don't know what to learn from his Euro performances, though, I hope it was in fact Sweden being so shit as a whole.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know what to think really. I spent the whole of last season saying we needed pace upfront.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
BBC confirming 1st July is at the end of the week.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
BBC confirming 1st July is at the end of the week.
It's not done yet, there are still some negotiations to do. June might be willing to wait for August before releasing 30.

finndt

I think he'll score 12 goals. 1 or 2 in big games.

Does that count as in between or flop?
Had to think about this for a minute. That would make him a big flop :) He would have to be widely considered as one of the best if not the best striker in the league, to be considered as anything else but a flop. That's what makes superstardom so difficult.

Ban

He's mother is Croatian, no wonder he's talented. :)

Finally a Croat in United, at least half a Croat. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.