Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If Rashford isn't ready now how will he be after 12 months of playing backup? Mourinho doesn't rotate much.

We'll be looking for another striker in 12 months if we sign Zlatan now.
He's 18 ffs!! A year of learning from Zlatan can only help him, and he'll get plenty of minutes.

Siorac

RVP did it. A striker banging in goals is the most important thing for a title challenge.

Obviously we need other things too, but it appears Mourinho has that covered.
Fun fact: we scored fewer goals in 2012/13 than in 2011/12. Also, Rooney scored 27 goals in 2011/12 while Van Persie scored 26 in 2012/13.

This has nothing to do with Ibrahimovic, it's just annoying how many people seem to believe that Van Persie improved us massively. We simply maintained our level from the previous season while City didn't.

Dobbs

He's 18 ffs!! A year of learning from Zlatan can only help him, and he'll get plenty of minutes.
Yeah agree but that's nothing to do with my question.

You say Zlatan is a stop gap. A stop gap to what? Rashford being ready?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
If Rashford isn't ready now how will he be after 12 months of playing backup? Mourinho doesn't rotate much.

We'll be looking for another striker in 12 months if we sign Zlatan now.
DAFAQ? Thats such a weird logic. Was Kane ready to lead the line when he was 18? No and no one even knew he existed. And no if we dont sign a new striker, then the potential to sign new one 12 months from now diminishes even further because Rashford is a year older and more mature.

Dobbs

He and Martial, yes.
Presumably you don't think Rashford is ready now, with him being 18 and inexperienced. Which is fair.So how can he possibly be ready at 19 years of age after playing backup for the previous year? This isn't being thought through.

Personally I think Martial, although obviously not at his peak, is ready now. He could easily score as many as Zlatan next season.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Fun fact: we scored fewer goals in 2012/13 than in 2011/12. Also, Rooney scored 27 goals in 2011/12 while Van Persie scored 26 in 2012/13.

This has nothing to do with Ibrahimovic, it's just annoying how many people seem to believe that Van Persie improved us massively. We simply maintained our level from the previous season while City didn't.
In 2011/12 Nani and Valencia had their best ever seasons. One year later they were considerably worse and RVP almost single handedly lead us to glory.

Bruno8

RVP did it. A striker banging in goals is the most important thing for a title challenge.

Obviously we need other things too, but it appears Mourinho has that covered.
Everyone is saying Mourino has it sorted, I think thats more hope than fact. He is not a magician, there will be ups and downs. His relationship with players will be critical.

Zlatan will need time to adapt and its unknown how much time he will need. If he takes longer then the pressure on the team increases especially if results are not positive

SirAF

Ageist
Presumably you don't think Rashford is ready now, with him being 18 and inexperienced. Which is fair.So how can he possibly be ready at 19 years of age after playing backup for the previous year? This isn't being thought through.

Personally I think Martial, although obviously not at his peak, is ready now. He could easily score as many as Zlatan next season.
I don't think Mourinho is going to care too much about the EL - so Rashford will probably get some decent game time there.

prath92

Its not like he is playing 0 minutes. He is an international and already a goalscorer for the senior team. Im sure Mourinho will play him. He wont start many important games. Maybe Europa and the Cups and sub appearances in the league and depending on form play more. In turn, the learning he(and martial) receives training and playing with arguably the best technical striker who has an abundance of experience in different leagues will be much more than playing week in week out

simmee

Can we please have a list of these long term solutions we could sign in the next 2 months?
Lets not. Last time it resulted in this:

"Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Raffael (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Cavani

I'd rather take a risk on any of these 10 than Ibra - that is how little I think he will contribute to this team.

That list is only of player who I expect to be very attainable. Not to mention 2 option who would fit the bill perfectly - Kane and Aubumeyang. I know they will be almost impossible to get."

Unfortunately Vardy is not possible anymore though.

prath92

Lets not. Last time it resulted in this:

"Vardy
Lukaku
Higuain
Milik
Janssen
Ighalo
Gameiro
Slimani
Raffael (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Cavani

I'd rather take a risk on any of these 10 than Ibra - that is how little I think he will contribute to this team.

That list is only of player who I expect to be very attainable. Not to mention 2 option who would fit the bill perfectly - Kane and Aubumeyang. I know they will be almost impossible to get."

Unfortunately Vardy is not possible anymore though.
and i dont think anyone wants milik anymore after this euro

Everyone is saying Mourino has it sorted, I think thats more hope than fact. He is not a magician, there will be ups and downs. His relationship with players will be critical.
Think you've got a little confused with my post.

I simply said, Zlatan is one of the things we need, we need other things too. And judging by the rumours of Miki and others, Mourinho has it sorted.

So I'm not "hoping" anything, I'm simply saying that Mourinho doesn't appear to think that Zlatan + no-one is all we need, he understands that we need Zlatan + 3/4 players.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

You talk as though Rashford will end up sitting on the bench all season, he'll get plenty of minutes and will learn from one of the best.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Who gives a shit about a bloody number? Gallas had #10 playing as a central defender for Arsenal.
The fact that you don't doesn't mean that noone does. Some players do, be it a superstition or something else.

Man-United

Who gives a shit about a bloody number? Gallas had #10 playing as a central defender for Arsenal.
I care too much about it :lol: Still angry that Darmian and Shaw has 36 and 23 as numbers when 2 and 3 had no player wearing it.

Vashu

Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Young and Welbeck were at their very best in 11/12. There were also Hernandez and Giggs contributing handsomely. In last season under SAF the only stand out performer was our freshly bought Dutch star with Rooney playing second fiddle.

Having super striker in form of his life can do wonders.

Bruno8

Its not like he is playing 0 minutes. He is an international and already a goalscorer for the senior team. Im sure Mourinho will play him. He wont start many important games. Maybe Europa and the Cups and sub appearances in the league and depending on form play more. In turn, the learning he(and martial) receives training and playing with arguably the best technical striker who has an abundance of experience in different leagues will be much more than playing week in week out
I disagree. I think players always improve with regular matches. Yes training may help but games make a player better. Despite scoring in his 1st 2 matches Rashford actually started playing well on the 4th game. Last season he played some important games and did exceptionally well and next season he wont play them because there is an experienced guy who has come in.

Realistically its difficult to tell how many games he will play but I dont think Jose will trust him to start big games like he did last season. We can only wait and see

prath92

I disagree. I think players always improve with regular matches. Yes training may help but games make a player better. Despite scoring in his 1st 2 matches Rashford actually started playing well on the 4th game. Last season he played some important games and did exceptionally well and next season he wont play them because there is an experienced guy who has come in.

Realistically its difficult to tell how many games he will play but I dont think Jose will trust him to start big games like he did last season. We can only wait and see
watching the movts of a world class striker can often help a player. I think SAF said that one player during the player's early years (think it was Giggs or Rooney iirc) who used to watch the players' movts and improve their own technique

MichaelKorleone

Rooney, Nani, Valencia, Young and Welbeck were at their very best in 11/12. There were also Hernandez and Giggs contributing handsomely. In last season under SAF the only stand out performer was our freshly bought Dutch star with Rooney playing second fiddle.

Having super striker in form of his life can do wonders.
I felt that our 2012-13 win was built on the spine of De Gea, Rafael, Carrick and Van Persie. Rio was solid for most part as well. Everyone was brilliant in their parts of the pitch, RvP obviously more so. When RvP went on 10-game barren run, Rooney contributed with 8 or 9 goals I think (tight wins against Reading home, Soton home, Fulham away). Even Hernandez contributed a lot to late goals against Newcastle home, Braga home and away, Chelsea away, Aston Villa away, etc. As brilliant as RvP was in 2012-13, we did have other prominent contributors as well :)

Agree with the bolded bit though.

Vashu

I felt that our 2012-13 win was built on the spine of De Gea, Rafael, Carrick and Van Persie. Rio was solid for most part as well. Everyone was brilliant in their parts of the pitch, RvP obviously more so. When RvP went on 10-game barren run, Rooney contributed with 8 or 9 goals I think (tight wins against Reading home, Soton home, Fulham away). Even Hernandez contributed a lot to late goals against Newcastle home, Braga home and away, Chelsea away, Aston Villa away, etc. As brilliant as RvP was in 2012-13, we did have other prominent contributors as well :)

Agree with the bolded bit though.
I've focused only on attacking front, hence no mention of DDG. Yeah many players did their part in pursuit of the championship but RVP did tower above all of them in that season.

Dobbs

DAFAQ? Thats such a weird logic. Was Kane ready to lead the line when he was 18? No and no one even knew he existed. And no if we dont sign a new striker, then the potential to sign new one 12 months from now diminishes even further because Rashford is a year older and more mature.
Weird logic? I'm simply saying it's highly unlikely Rashford will go from unknown academy player to leading the line for United in 18 months. Disagree all you like but that's perfectly reasonable.

I don't think Mourinho is going to care too much about the EL - so Rashford will probably get some decent game time there.
Yeah probably. Will that be enough to mean this time next year we're sure he's ready to lead the line. Given the poor quality of opposition No chance.

I'm not one for saying it should all be shaped around Rashford, I just disagree with those who reckon signing Zlatan is a big plus for him. Or that he'll nicely fill the gap till Rashford is ready.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Weird logic? I'm simply saying it's highly unlikely Rashford will go from unknown academy player to leading the line for United in 18 months. Disagree all you like but that's perfectly reasonable.
He scored 8 goals in like 3 months for us playing with players he normally doesnt play with, in a more competitive league than he is used too and playing in a shit system. So once he gels with the players and gets playing in a new system it isnt beyond him to get 20 goals a season two years from now. I think he is capable of doing it or rather he has the potential to do it.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Not really excited about this signing. But he's on a free on a one year contract .So not really bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.