Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

If you want the best players than you have to deal with cnut agents. If Fergie had been a bit more tactful and cooperative when it concerns dealing with cnut agents, Pogba would still be here instead of at Juve and we wouldn't need to be pay 120m for a player that came out of our own academy. Hazard would have been a United player aswell if he would have been a bit more modern about dealing with player agents and their enormous fees.

If you want to be successful as a club and you want to sign the best players than you deal with these agents and you pay them what you must to facilitate the moves that you require, even if the agents are gigantic cnuts.
Fergie should have done a lot of things to be sucessful eh? oh wait.

Also raiola has hardly the best players around. We have mendes to deal with. As the poster above said, some of the best teams don't need many of them either.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Barca and Bayern both still have a good home grown / local group of players who don't need Raiola or Mendes as their agents.
Hope we keep / build a good British core again to complement the foreign players. I don't mind a couple of players of those agents, but don't want the majority of our players represented by those two.

Cerpin

Tbf I think most strikers will render invisible and useless in games where their teams are completely dominated.
I wouldn't say they were completely dominated in any of their Euro games. They saw enough of the ball. His teammates sucking is a better argument and he'd undoubtedly get better service at United.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Barca and Bayern both still have a good home grown / local group of players who don't need Raiola or Mendes as their agents.
Hope we keep / build a good British core again to complement the foreign players. I don't mind a couple of players of those agents, but don't want the majority of our players represented by those two.
I think we have a pretty decent British core and I don't think we've ever lost it. Apart from Kane or Bale or perhaps Coleman there's not much you can add to what we already have.

Mark Pawelek

His advice and experiences in the dressing room - and personality and confidence, will be a big boost.
I seem to recall that being said about Schweinsteiger. Oh and I bet it's why Rooney is on a million per month. I'd rather pay footballers on how many goals they score, how many MotM performances the make, and games the win. I have no problem paying Zlatan his price because it's a rolling deal. He stops scoring, we don't renew his contract.

So Zlatan might come on a big wage - but who else is? Are we offering that to everyone? No. We would only do it because we can handle it.
Top 7 at United. These are all big wages. I doubt there's a goalie anywhere in the world on what de Gea is paid. All the rest are getting more than their worth. Henrikh Mkhitaryan will want, at least, what Mata's on too. Can any of them be sold for more than £10m? Maybe one or two - just because of the wage.

( '000 per week)
Wayne Rooney ---------- £250
David de Gea ------------ £200
Juan Mata --------------- £140
Bastian Schweinsteiger - £136
Ashley Young ----------- £110
Morgan Schneiderlin --- £100
Memphis Depay --------- £90

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I seem to recall that being said about Schweinsteiger. Oh and I bet it's why Rooney is on a million per month. I'd rather pay footballers on how many goals they score, how many MotM performances the make, and games the win. I have no problem paying Zlatan his price because it's a rolling deal. He stops scoring, we don't renew his contract.

Top 7 at United. These are all big wages. I doubt there's a goalie anywhere in the world on what de Gea is paid. All the rest are getting more than their worth. Henrikh Mkhitaryan will want, at least, what Mata's on too. Can any of them be sold for more than £10m? Maybe one or two - just because of the wage.

Wayne Rooney ---------- £250
David de Gea ------------ £200
Juan Mata --------------- £140
Bastian Schweinsteiger - £136
Ashley Young ----------- £110
Morgan Schneiderlin --- £100
Memphis Depay --------- £90
Fortunately, we rebalanced our wages by offloading RvP, Falcao, Nani, Hernandez, and Rafael within the past 12 months so all things said we're in great shape and can easily absorb Ibra's wages alongside those of one or more big money transfers.

Mark Pawelek

Rather than pay Rooney £250k/w, it would make more sense to offer a basic of £100k/w, plus
  • £50k / every goal scored,
  • £50k / every win,
  • £50k / every clean sheet, plus
  • £100k for every MotM.
That or some kind of performance-based system that can't be gamed. It's especially galling for players to earn so much but be injured half the time. Anyhow, I'd expect top footballers pay to be at least 50% performance based.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
For Sweden, Teams doubled up and tripled up on zlatan as they knew without him they would struggle to score (and they were right). And other players like berg and guidetti were poor to take advantage of the space

At United, if people doubled up on him, then it frees up some other player like martial or Rooney or mkhitariyan(if he signs). Last year similar happened to us with martial as we had no one to create stuff apart from him. So it will be more effective for zlatan and United.
A man talks sense. Zlatan playing around a bunch of farmers made it pretty difficult for him to do anything, but you could still see he has world class technique. Imagine him dropping deep and Mkhitaryan/Martial running in front of him, he'll take that to his full advantage and United will reedem the rewards.

Reactions: Penna

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
:lol: Latest instalment in the vanity project.

In all seriousness, for someone who achieved virtually nothing on the international stage, this comes off a little silly.
What in your books is achievement on an international stage? What has Rooney achieved on the international stage? What has Ronaldo achieved? What has Messi achieved?

Mr Smith

What exactly do you mean by achievement in an international stage? What has Rooney achieved on the international stage? What has Ronaldo achieved? What has Messi achieved?
Not much. And I wasn't comparing him to any of those players.

sammyvine

He won't do well imo

He has regressed understandably and the PL is so much tougher than that one team French league.

RDCR07

Does anyone think he'll play week in, week out at a high level in the PL?
Well one he can. He is pretty fit but the thing is we don't need him to. Start the big games? Sure. But unless we plan on sending Rashford out on loan, which I highly doubt we would, then I would love to see him start the games against weaker opposition, especially at home. He is just high on confidence right now and we have to keep playing him whenever we can. Also we need depth since we will have Thursday and Sunday games and we will be in 4 competitions.

Mr Smith

So explain what do you mean by achievement in an international stage?
I mean he hasn't lifted his country above it's level often enough (or at all). We're talking high standards here, but the best players are the ones that raise the level of the players around them, and push the team beyond what they'd be capable of without him. Certainly, it doesn't merit the kind of plaudits he's been getting over the last few days, as though it's the end of an era. What era? What difference did Ibrahimovic make?

To put it another way, would they have achieved anything less over the last 10 years without him? If you can't distinguish between what a national team has achieved with a great player to what they could have achieved without him, I think that is a good definition for failure (and I use the term loosely) on the international level.

I suppose using that definition, Ronaldo and Rooney have also both been failures on the international stage (an opinion I would also probably agree with).

Also, you know, I just don't like his self-obsession and delusions of grandeur, which may be biasing my opinion a bit.

Bojan11

He won't do well imo

He has regressed understandably and the PL is so much tougher than that one team French league.
Yeah I mean it's not like two of the best players last season in premier league Payet and Kante came from French league. Then you got Martial also.

This rubbish about French league needs to stop. The French league is most likely the most successful in terms of players doing well who come from there to England.

If we were doing all star prem team then three of the players in Vieira, Cantona and Henry would have come from France.

RDCR07

I mean he hasn't lifted his country above it's level often enough (or at all). We're talking high standards here, but the best players are the ones that raise the level of the players around them, and push the team beyond what they'd be capable of without him. Certainly, it doesn't merit the kind of plaudits he's been getting over the last few days, as though it's the end of an era. What era? What difference did Ibrahimovic make?

To put it another way, would they have achieved anything less over the last 10 years without him? If you can't distinguish between what a national team has achieved with a great player to what they could have achieved without him, I think that is a good definition for failure (and I use the term loosely) on the international level.

I suppose using that definition, Ronaldo and Rooney have also both been failures on the international stage (an opinion I would also probably agree with).

Also, you know, I just don't like his self-obsession and delusions of grandeur, which may be biasing my opinion a bit.
But he has been their best player over the last decade. He has scored over 60 goals playing for a pretty shit team. Even Rooney hasn't done that and he has/is playing for a team with far better players. And by your opinions only a handful or Brazilian, Spanish, German and French players have actually done something for their nation by helping them win the WC the past 2 decades and the rest of the international players all suck since they haven't achieved anything. You can't look at it that way. He did the best he could with the players around him.

And this isn't self obsession or grandeur. He is a legend of Sweden and they are just honoring one of their greatest ever players when he is retiring. I don't see anything wrong in this.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If we were doing all star prem team then three of the players in Vieira, Cantona and Henry would have come from France.
Well, none of those players actually came into the Premier League directly from the French league, but even if they did, the French league today is not the same as it was in the nineties.

CS@SG

Barca just deal with tax dodgers instead, top club, #respect.
Obviously Barca is a top club, on field, without any Riaola's player. Their result do not lie. I am not a fans of Barca so I am not interested in whatever they achieved off football field.

Mr Smith

But he has been their best player over the last decade. He has scored over 60 goals playing for a pretty shit team. Even Rooney hasn't done that and he has/is playing for a team with far better players. And by your opinions only a handful or Brazilian, Spanish, German and French players have actually done something for their nation by helping them win the WC the past 2 decades and the rest of the international players all suck since they haven't achieved anything. You can't look at it that way. He did the best he could with the players around him.

And this isn't self obsession or grandeur. He is a legend of Sweden and they are just honoring one of their greatest ever players when he is retiring. I don't see anything wrong in this.
I actually don't agree that players with more talented teammates have worse legacies if they don't achieve much on the national stage, because the bar is set at a very different level, and they have teammates who's contributions are equally important (ie in England's case, Gerrard or Lampard are as much to blame for their nation's underachievement as Rooney is). I'm not saying Ibra should have won something with Sweden, that's just unrealistic, but he certainly should have achieved more than he did (like maybe reach the knockout stage a little more often, and make decisive contributions to get them there). Look at what Wales are doing now, with a team built around their best player (who isn't even playing vintage football, but is contributing in the big moments).

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve recognition for his years of service. But some of the things said over the last week have been a little ridiculous, and I don't think he has achieved anywhere near what he should have given the length of his stay in the national team, how long he's managed to extend his prime into his 30's, and the generally low bar set by the rest of his team. Players like him should raise the bar; that's what makes great players great.

Maybe I overreacted a little to the ad. I've just been seeing stuff about his retirement popping up everywhere over the last few days, and it's been annoying me. Again, I may be a little biased by the fact that, as much as he is a very good player, I really just don't like him at all.

Holters

He really isn't though. Both Nils Liedholm and Gunnar Nordahl achieved much more on the international level, and achieved almost as much in their club careers.
Of course he is. Noone comes close to Zlatan.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He really isn't though. Both Nils Liedholm and Gunnar Nordahl achieved much more on the international level, and achieved almost as much in their club careers.
He is, quite easily, the best player we've ever had. Most of his international career has been spent with squads that would struggle on the Championship.

VojjE

To put it another way, would they have achieved anything less over the last 10 years without him?
Yes, we would have. Without him we wouldn't even have been at the Euros, probably not even at the 2012 euros either and we had a better team then. The think you have to realize is that we have a tactically inept manager in Erik Hamrén, the biggest knob to have held the position. Emberassingly bad selections, poor tactically but with a good hand with the players. Still didn't mean he could get anything out of them. If you've seen Sweden in the last few years you have seen a side more void of ideas than LvG's and Moyes' United sides. They've played shite football and expected Zlatan to bail them out, which he did at quite a few occasions.

The saddest thing is that I believe Sweden will do a lot better after Zlatan leaves, just because of having Hamrén resigning as well. You can't take anything away from Zlatan though, he did the best he could with what he had.

Werder Herzog

Not sure why this haven't been posted here yet
Between Ibra , Bailly and Mkhitaryan it seem's Jose has pin pointed the spine of the team as an area of improvement- just a cm of sorts and maybe a right winger depending on how he see's Lingard, Rashford, Mata, etc and we can hit the ground running.

Did similar at Chelsea bringing back Courtois and signing Fabregas and Costa.

Exciting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.