Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

It's not really a myth. If we didn't sell so many shirts we wouldn't get such amazing deals every few years from the manufacturers

i can assure you if there was for some reason a massive plummet in shirt sales our next deal wouldn't look so good

Bruno8

Rashford will get enough games in the Europa league, league cup and FA cup and Rashford doesn't even come close to the players you mentioned in terms of talent.
Why relegate Rashford to EL and FA Cup only when he did exceptionally well in big games last season??

RedCurry

Well Gundogan had actually signed for city. He announced it 5 mins before the club announced it

I think you will find Zlatan is still a PSG player for a few more hours
How does that make any difference? I was talking about disrespect to the fans not to their contractual obligations. For Dortmund fans, he was their player till he went and announced he own departure. As if he couldn't wait to leave the club.

In case of Zlatan, he saw his contract out, had an elaborate farewell match with a post-match ceremony just to recognize him. Since that game he was a free agent to the world regardless of what his contract says.

JohnnyLaw

Why relegate Rashford to EL and FA Cup only when he did exceptionally well in big games last season??
He scored 4 goals in 11 games since becoming a regular starter. Great for a kid but hardly the kind of return you'd expect from the main striker for a club like United.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's not really a myth. If we didn't sell so many shirts we wouldn't get such amazing deals every few years from the manufacturers

i can assure you if there was for some reason a massive plummet in shirt sales our next deal wouldn't look so good
It's absolutely totally and utterly a myth.

United sell X number of shirts pet year, the number may fluctuate slightly but not by much. The idea that a new signing will lead to a sufficient increase in shirt sales to lead to a £50m increase in income is batshit crazy and complete bollocks.

GJNJ

He scored 4 goals in 11 games since becoming a regular starter. Great for a kid but hardly the kind of return you'd expect from the main striker for a club like United.
It would also be mad to put all our eggs in one basket and our season fail because he couldn't step up or get injured.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

United sell X number of shirts pet year, the number may fluctuate slightly but not by much. The idea that a new signing will lead to a sufficient increase in shirt sales to lead to a £50m increase in income is batshit crazy and complete bollocks.
Agreed but still our vast amount of shirt sales leads to giant contracts.

So you can still say they are important for the club looking at it long term rather than an immediate boost

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Agreed but still our vast amount of shirt sales leads to giant contracts.

So you can still say they are important for the club looking at it long term rather than an immediate boost
Oh yea without doubt we shift a lot of shirts and that plays a part in the size of the adidas and Chevvy deals, albeit a relatively minor one.

But the myth he's talking about in those tweets is the whole concept of a player's transfer/wages being paid for by shirt sales.

Madrid started it off with Beckham and then again with Ronaldo.

Scarr

This is brilliant news. The more I've been thinking the happier I've felt about it. As demanding as the league is there's just no way he'll play every game. A lot of people seem concerned for Rashford but I believe Ibra coming in will only benefit him. He'll be just as ecstatic about this as the rest of us. He can learn so much from all that experience. Having another proven winner in the dressing room will only get us back to where we belong a lot quicker than it would without him.

Yes he's 35 and I highly doubt he'll be able to reach the height of 30 goals in a season in England but I think he will surprise a lot of people. The man is a machine and is in some shape for his age. And he'll die for Mourinho as he has said in the past. I don't think it'll be another Falcao or even another Schweinsteiger for that matter.

Reactions: Adzzz

RedCurry

I always read about conflicting opinions on this subject. Is there an actually a source where people get this information from or is it opinion based on media reports? It is not the kind of information you would typically be able to isolate on the financial statements.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I always read about conflicting opinions on this subject. Is there an actually a source where people get this information from or is it opinion based on media reports? It is not the kind of information you would typically be able to isolate on the financial statements.
In the year Madrid signed Ronaldo AND Kaka, their entire commercial income increased by something like €6m, and shirt sales are obviously just a part of that income stream.

There's info out there, the argument has been had on here loads before.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Oh yea without doubt we shift a lot of shirts and that plays a part in the size of the adidas and Chevvy deals, albeit a relatively minor one.

But the myth he's talking about in those tweets is the whole concept of a player's transfer/wages being paid for by shirt sales.

Madrid started it off with Beckham and then again with Ronaldo.
Tbf, you could probably have paid Becks in clothes.

Not United shirts, mind....

GJNJ

I was just reading this article say that even the signing last summer increased our shirt sales by 30%

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/clubs-with-most-shirt-sales/

Edit 40%

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
My mate's staying in the same hotel as Zlatan and has just posted a picture with him on Facebook. Just letting you all know. That's what we do in the transfer forum right?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
My mate's staying in the same hotel as Zlatan and has just posted a picture with him on Facebook. Just letting you all know. That's what we do in the transfer forum right?
That’s a start, but as Zlatan is practically announced already, you should make him stalk some new signings :drool::cool:

RedCurry

In the year Madrid signed Ronaldo AND Kaka, their entire commercial income increased by something like €6m, and shirt sales are obviously just a part of that income stream.

There's info out there, the argument has been had on here loads before.
Thanks. I'll see if there is any source for this on the financial statements or management commentaries.

Super Hans

I live in Sweden and I can say with certainty that United have just got themselves roughly 9 million new supporters. Swedes don't worship God, they worship Zlatan. They don't support a club, they support Zlatan. I remember walking into a pub and PSG were on and people were going mental. A Ligue 1 game. I remember the rage in their eyes as they screamed at the TV. Mental. Also a bit sad.

Hans Moleman

I live in Sweden and I can say with certainty that United have just got themselves roughly 9 million new supporters. Swedes don't worship God, they worship Zlatan. They don't support a club, they support Zlatan. I remember walking into a pub and PSG were on and people were going mental. A Ligue 1 game. I remember the rage in their eyes as they screamed at the TV. Mental. Also a bit sad.
They're welcome if they bring their women over

GJNJ

last summer was our first season with adidas too remember.
Yes a good point.

Another angle i suppose would be most people perception is that somebody would have bought a shirt regardless of what name they were going to put on the back, but possibly in other areas of the world they follow the player's more and perhaps would by buy a united shirt off the back of him moving to here. Who knows, I doubt it would add up to £50m in any case but I'm not a football marketing expert.

Can't wait for the next quarter finacial report (joking)

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
United use The Lowry, they stay there before games etc, Henrik Larsson lived there when he was with us on loan.
It looks nice in the background. I've just asked him and am awaiting a response.

Jesus this is nailbiting stuff, how do people cope in here?!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I can confirm that having lived in Stockholm. It’s a bit weird that all of a sudden they all started checking PSG results, only to actually see if Zlatan scored. Then again, I think Ajax got about 5 million new Finnish supporters in the mid 90s.

Hans Moleman

I think it was already said he's flying in with agent tomorrow for medical, so wouldn't be at the Lowry yet :lol:

It's going to be a great 7 days

Super Hans

I can confirm that having lived in Stockholm. It’s a bit weird that all of a sudden they all started checking PSG results, only to actually see if Zlatan scored. Then again, I think Ajax got about 5 million new Finnish supporters in the mid 90s.
Hey, I'm happy I'll be getting daily United updates on the Swedish news.

Status
Not open for further replies.