Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oaencha

Too much Mane/Lingard bollards.

Let's watch Zlatan make an absolute spoon out of Hart again instead

The technique is just insane. Easily one of the best goals I've seen in my 26 years of watching football.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Is this likely to happen? Seems like one of those early Summer ones where the papers are constantly saying it's happening then boom..another club announces his arrival and we all take refuge in another thread that becomes the big muppet darling.

diarm

Stupid goal. If I hadn't watched that match myself on telly, I'd probably believe the videos were shopped. What sort of fecker even has the imagination to attempt that such a thing, let alone actually score it?

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Been watching his goals on youtube and the quantity of high quality strikes is ridiculous. Wish Fergie signed him years ago

andy0

Stupid goal. If I hadn't watched that match myself on telly, I'd probably believe the videos were shopped. What sort of fecker even has the imagination to attempt that such a thing, let alone actually score it?
I seem to remember Cantona attempting something from further away. It might have been against Chelsea. Their goalie charged out and kicked a long clearance, one of our defenders headed forward, and Eric kicked over his shoulder from about the centre circle without even looking. The ball beat the goalkeeper running back, bounced once and hit the bar. If it had gone in it would eventually have been the difference between being runners up and winning the league.

diarm

I seem to remember Cantona attempting something from further away. It might have been against Chelsea. Their goalie charged out and kicked a long clearance, one of our defenders headed forward, and Eric kicked over his shoulder from about the edge of the centre circle without even looking. The ball beat the goalkeeper running back, bounced once and hit the bar. If it had gone in it would eventually have been the difference between being runners up and winning the league.
I remember that but very, very distantly.

Just watched that video of Ibra's goals and the man is a freakgenius. It's always struck me that if he wasn't real, he would make a wonderful Sacha Baron Cohen character.

stevoc

I seem to remember Cantona attempting something from further away. It might have been against Chelsea. Their goalie charged out and kicked a long clearance, one of our defenders headed forward, and Eric kicked over his shoulder from about the centre circle without even looking. The ball beat the goalkeeper running back, bounced once and hit the bar. If it had gone in it would eventually have been the difference between being runners up and winning the league.
It was in early 1993 i am nearly sure, we actually won the league that year.

andy0

Well found, and thanks. I wasn't quite accurate, but fairly close.

stevoc

Well found, and thanks. I wasn't quite accurate, but fairly close.
No worries mate, i always remember that effort because i watched it on Match of the day with my Dad when i was about 12 and i didn't know the result of the match.

As soon as i seen Eric nearly score from there i jumped up and shouted out ''fecking hell'' shortly after i got a swift slap round the ear lol. My Dad had reacted pretty much the same way though. :lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

That entire game, tbh, made a freaking spoon out of England.

4 goals, 3 in the last 15 mins turning a loss into a win, capped with that goal because Zlatan.

The direct free kick was ridiculous too, pin point to the corner from range.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The goal was both scary and breathtaking because that sort of thing is just not supposed to happen in real football.

Giggs86

Can you imagine another player even thinking of doing something like that? That's just crazy.

I can't stop watching it and I'm thinking what in the world going through Hart's mind while the ball is flying above his head? :lol:

Red Stone

Can you imagine another player even thinking of doing something like that? That's just crazy.
I remember thinking exactly that when it happened. "What the hell did I just see? Who else could score a goal like that?" No-one.

I think at the time I concluded with Balotelli the only other player who would be daft enough to actually attempt it, but not have the skill to actually pull it off, while Ronaldo might be able to pull it off, but wouldn't have attempted it in the first place.

It takes a special kind of madman to score that goal. "The ball is two meters up in the air and I'm 30 yards out with my back towards the goal. I'm going to fecking bicycle kick this bastard into the net."

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

I can't stop watching it and I'm thinking what in the world going through Hart's mind while the ball is flying above his head? :lol:
"Hope Head and Shoulders aren't watching this."

Deleted member 101472

His karate kick pass was more " what the feck" to me . I think given the scenario of his overhead kick , it was a smart play as he knows the keeper is off his line and he only has one chance ... But with this pass ... The speed of thought and the execution , never seen anything remotely like it .

Giggs86

I remember thinking exactly that when it happened. "What the hell did I just see? Who else could score a goal like that?" No-one.

I think at the time I concluded with Balotelli the only other player who would be daft enough to actually attempt it, but not have the skill to actually pull it off, while Ronaldo might be able to pull it off, but wouldn't have attempted it in the first place.

It takes a special kind of madman to score that goal. "The ball is two meters up in the air and I'm 30 yards out with my back towards the goal. I'm going to fecking bicycle kick this bastard into the net."
Now that I think about it the only similar thing that comes to mind is a Fiorentina player that scored a bicycle kick from outside the box in the cl groups in the early 00's. Can't remember his name though.

Edit: found it

reddevilz007

Zlatan likes Mourinho;
He is a free agent;
He'd like to test himself out in EPL;
He doesn't really like LVG;
LVG is gone.
On twitter, it says Zlatan is giving a press conference at the Swedish HQ later on today.
Was he waiting for us to confirm Mourinho as manager before confirming his transfer?

...Journalism 101: he's coming to us

Unfortunately, it happened too many times in the past, with players eventually going elsewhere.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. :D

Red Stone

Now that I think about it the only similar thing that comes to mind is a Fiorentina player that scored a bicycle kick from outside the box in the cl groups in the early 00's. Can't remember his name though.

Mauro Bressan? Yeah, that's a great one, even if it is a complete freak occurence. He's never done anything remotely similar to that since.

That goal against England is something I could see Zlatan replicating if he was given another shot at it. He's scored gravity-defying goals like that so often in his career. I've said in this thread before that his ability to hit the target no matter how crazy the shot is the best in the world, and that strike is just more proof of that. Give any other player the opportunity to attempt it as many times as they wanted and it'd take hours before the ball actually went in.

The sheer athleticism it takes to reach that ball and connect with it in the first place makes it impossible for most players. Then you have to actually generate enough power to get it across the line before the defender reaches it, and then you have to get it over Hart and betwen the sticks. Unbelievable.

And I'm not even sure it's his best goal, or his most unbelievable goal. Ridiculous player.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Zlatan likes Mourinho;
He is a free agent;
He'd like to test himself out in EPL;
He doesn't really like LVG;
LVG is gone.
On twitter, it says Zlatan is giving a press conference at the Swedish HQ later on today.
Was he waiting for us to confirm Mourinho as manager before confirming his transfer?

...Journalism 101: he's coming to us

Unfortunately, it happened too many times in the past, with players eventually going elsewhere.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. :D
They have a friendly on Tuesday, the squad has just got together and Zlatan usually does his own conferences.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
He was crap against England a year before when the two teams met at the Euros in a game that actually mattered. We're obviously in no position to turn him down, I just kind of think he'll be a bit of a Berbatov/Giroud in that he'll rack up a lot of goals, mostly inconsequential ones.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
He was crap against England a year before when the two teams met at the Euros in a game that actually mattered. We're obviously in no position to turn him down, I just kind of think he'll be a bit of a Berbatov/Giroud in that he'll rack up a lot of goals, mostly inconsequential ones.
At this stage, no goals for us are inconsequential.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He can disappear in all the big games vs the top four as long as he continues bullying the small fry. Points galore in the bank.

Adebesi

For the people who watch more European football than I do:

How far away is / was Ibra from the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, from competing for the Ballon d'Or?

If he had played in Spain for his peak years, for Madrid say, do you think he would have been part of a trio competing for it? I guess I am asking, is the fact he was outside Spain (or inside France) part of the reason he was not considered in that bracket? Or is he clearly below those two players? How far below?

At his peak, where do you think he ranked in World Football? Was he ever number 3? Or was he always behind not only the top 2 but the likes of Iniesta and Xavi, and latterly Suarez and Neymar, as well?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
... he seems sure he can score from anywhere on the pitch.
That's the sort of player you need to unlock stubborn defences who are playing for 0-0.
The sort of player which LVG was talking about.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Mane and/or Lingard could attempt that 100 times and still wouldn't be able to do that.
In fact, I don't think they could even imagine doing something so outrageous.
But I guess that's the difference between a Galactico class player and a good player.

He can disappear in all the big games vs the top four as long as he continues bullying the small fry. Points galore in the bank.
That's what wins you league titles.
And it's no surprise that Ibra has won lots of league titles in different countries.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mane and/or Lingard could attempt that 100 times and still wouldn't be able to do that.
In fact, I don't think they could even imagine doing something so outrageous.
But I guess that's the difference between a Galactico class player and a good player.

That's what wins you league titles.
And it's no surprise that Ibra has won lots of league titles in different countries.
He's a winner. And there's no doubt he'll be looking to add a Premier League title before he's done.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
That's the sort of player you need to unlock stubborn defences who are playing for 0-0.
The sort of player which LVG was talking about.
Also the sort of player (the exact same player in fact) that would hate van Gaal's methods.

Agreed though, we need someone who takes risks and isn't afraid to shoot. I'm curious to see if we don't have players like that already (I suspect we do) who were just impeded by van Gaal's style of play.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Going into full muppet mode here but Ibra's about to hold a press conference today.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/landslaget/folj-presskonferensen-med-zlatan-ibrahimovic/

Here's the streaming link.

He will undoubtedly be asked about his future, but he is unlikely to give any indication as to where he will be next season.

This press conference is not out of the ordinary when Zlatan is with the Swedish national team and has nothing to do in itself with the player’s future

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
For the people who watch more European football than I do:

How far away is / was Ibra from the likes of Messi and Ronaldo, from competing for the Ballon d'Or?

If he had played in Spain for his peak years, for Madrid say, do you think he would have been part of a trio competing for it? I guess I am asking, is the fact he was outside Spain (or inside France) part of the reason he was not considered in that bracket? Or is he clearly below those two players? How far below?

At his peak, where do you think he ranked in World Football? Was he ever number 3? Or was he always behind not only the top 2 but the likes of Iniesta and Xavi, and latterly Suarez and Neymar, as well?
Regarding the greatest scorers/strikers/forwards in the History of the Game---> my answer would be

Level 1: very small circle of players: Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Van Basten, Ronaldinho, Romario, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Henry, Zidane, Luis Suarez, Neymar (in the long run)...
Level 2: Ibrahimovic, Thomas Muller, Batistuta, Klinsmann, Vieri...
Level 3: Rooney, Inzaghi, Papin, Owen...
Level 4: Cavani, ...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He was supposed to show up 25 minutes ago for the presser. Zlatan does what he wants.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
We've scored 87(iirc) goals in all competitions this year, and lost out on CL football on goal difference.

Ibra's scored 51 goals alone this season.

Think we could do with some "inconsequential" goals, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.