Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

podurban2

I wouldn't say he's great at it but what do you think this United team needs? A centre forward who stretches defenders, runs in behind, runs the channels, or one that likes to drop deep?
?

Zlatan is great at bringing others into play.

Do you watch a lot of his games?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need Ibrahimovic because as things stand, we had to overplay Martial and had to rely on Rashford because we had no other options to choose from. Rashford was literally our last resort or end up without a striker when Rooney was injured.

ManUArfa

Some people are assuming we're going to be playing the same way as we did under LVG and with the same mentality. Our problems under LVG will not be the same as our problems under JM. We will be fielding our physically stronger and more competitive players in key positions and more players will have license to be mobile rather than being static. As such, I am certain that we will create more chances under JM and there is no way that we will be bullied by "hoof" teams in to their way of playing. This means that the LVG style possession/backwards passing game will only be used for seeing out a result. In addition we will cheat like b*ggery and put the officials under pressure- always worth a few extra points each season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I wouldn't say he's great at it but what do you think this United team needs? A centre forward who stretches defenders, runs in behind, runs the channels, or one that likes to drop deep?

Ibrahimovic does all the things you mentioned and since he is great at passing the ball, he also allows wide players like Di Maria, Cavani or Lucas to run diagonals behind the defense.

Man-United

We need Ibrahimovic because as things stand, we had to overplay Martial and had to rely on Rashford because we had no other options to choose from. Rashford was literally our last resort or end up without a striker when Rooney was injured.
Yes. And I would hate we go the same way with Rashford as other teams did with their younger players by playing them week in week out like Owen, Sterling to name two. Sterling is too early to tell how good he will be, but Owen was ruined by playing so much early. Rashford would have been if LvG stayed as he played every game since Midtjylland exp. Norwich.

Fergie was great with younger players. I remember in Ronaldo's first season, he gave him 3 weeks holiday in january 2004 to get a proper rest. He was very careful with the younger players. And getting Zlatan for one or two years will be perfect for Rashford.

Man-United

Wasn't there one game he got like 5 assists, or something ridiculous like that?
It was yes, I think it was 1 goal and 5 assists. Most fun game to watch Zlatan in was the 4-2 game vs England in 2012 and he scored all 4 goals.

napolij

Its pretty obvious you've never seen him play

Devil may care

I think having a central pivot for the two wide forwards to play off can be very valuable, and we have an option off the bench with Rashford if we want a different type of striker in.

Keenst

Assuming this is going ahead, I love absolutely everything about this signing. The United I love always has had big personalities in the team so I am chuffed we are getting him. Between himself and Mourinho we finally will have some verve and panache back in the side and healthy dose of arrogance.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Scoring wasn't the problem. Creating chances and getting into shooting positions was the problem. There were numerous games last season where we had below 5 shots on target. Unless Zlatan has a 100% conversion rate, he doesn't solve that problem.

Our "single biggest problem" was poor widemen. Which both LVG and majority of fans recognized.

Costa is a monster physically and a good hoofing target. So is Benteke. So is Andy Carroll. Your argument doesn't hold any weight. He'd make us one dimensional because our main line of attack would still be through Zlatan, it doesn't matter if we are hoofing, playing to feet or if he's playing deep. It's still the same line of attack, just not in your traditional sense.

So I hold by argument, he's a good signing and as long as he performs to his capabilities, will be a clear upgrade on our forward line. But no, he doesn't solve our main problems.
Fair enough, I agree that creating chances was the deep lying issue last season and low scoring was a byproduct of that. But Zlatan can very much solve that problem imo. If you've ever watched Sweden play in the last 5 years or so you would know that we have probably the worst midfield in Europe when it comes to playmaking and creating chances. However Zlatan still does extremely well even when playing with guys from the Swedish 1st division. He doesn't need world class players around him nor does he need to play in such a "horrible" league as Ligue1 to produce goals and assists.

Regarding being one dimensional; What does Costa, Benteke and Caroll being good hoofing targets have to do with Manchester United still being one dimensional by bringing in a player who can also be hoofed at? It makes no sense whatsoever. We have no CF today that we can hoof the ball to, we have no one that can hold off two guys and still have a first touch like Berbatov (well, close to Berbatov anyway..;)) and hold the ball etcetc. So how does that not add a new dimension to our play?
He gives us options that we don't have right now and he can be used in a lot of different ways. If he would be alone on the pitch then you would have a point, but he's got 10 other players around him to interact with and we still don't have to go through him every single time we attack.

You argue like we are either going to sign Zlatan or a good winger, which clearly is not the case. He doesn't stop any other transfers we might do.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
It was yes, I think it was 1 goal and 5 assists. Most fun game to watch Zlatan in was the 4-2 game vs England in 2012 and he scored all 4 goals.
That game had everything, a wondergoal, a pinpoint free kick from range, a classic "no 9" goal and a poach, along with Zlatan turning 1-2 into 4-2 in 15 minutes. :drool:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
1 year, a chance to help our developing players, a leader on and off the pitch and a winning mentality all outweigh the negatives. If he's crap, we can just ship him out at the end of the season.

Man-United

I don't watch non English football..other than the tournaments of course. Saw his stats. Very impressive.

Only question is his age. One year is not a huge risk.

Good signing imo.
Fair play as you are maybe the first one who's honest about not having watched him much. Others here seem to base their opinion on the newspapers from 2008-12 who said he was overrated and they refuse to back from that.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I think the most incredible thing is people saying that he won't cope with the physical part of PL. In my opinion the French league is actually the only one that more or less compares to PL. Loads of quick & strong players, tempo also pretty fast in most games.

Winrar

I think the most incredible thing is people saying that he won't cope with the physical part of PL. In my opinion the French league is actually the only one that more or less compares to PL. Loads of quick & strong players, tempo also pretty fast in most games.
plus the guy is 1.95m tall... he really won't and shouldn't have too much trouble with physical part of the game until his age catches up. (which happens at different points of career for everyone)

and it's not like we have to pay 50m GBP to get this guy, he's on a fecking free! you'd be mad to at least not take the chance.

for what it's worth I think he'll have an RVP-esque influence in our potential run for the title. he's a natural leader and arrogant and confident with his abilities. something that's sorely been missing in this club for too long.

TypeR

plus the guy is 1.95m tall... he really won't and shouldn't have too much trouble with physical part of the game until his age catches up. (which happens at different points of career for everyone)

and it's not like we have to pay 50m GBP to get this guy, he's on a fecking free! you'd be mad to at least not take the chance.

for what it's worth I think he'll have an RVP-esque influence in our potential run for the title. he's a natural leader and arrogant and confident with his abilities. something that's sorely been missing in this club for too long.
This I agree with. Zlatan's never been one to back down from the physical side of games. Think he'd fit in well in this league, and the swagger he brings will be helpful for us. At most points last season we had no bite in both the literal and figurative sense.

Lynty

Fair enough, I agree that creating chances was the deep lying issue last season and low scoring was a byproduct of that. But Zlatan can very much solve that problem imo. If you've ever watched Sweden play in the last 5 years or so you would know that we have probably the worst midfield in Europe when it comes to playmaking and creating chances. However Zlatan still does extremely well even when playing with guys from the Swedish 1st division. He doesn't need world class players around him nor does he need to play in such a "horrible" league as Ligue1 to produce goals and assists.

Regarding being one dimensional; What does Costa, Benteke and Caroll being good hoofing targets have to do with Manchester United still being one dimensional by bringing in a player who can also be hoofed at? It makes no sense whatsoever. We have no CF today that we can hoof the ball to, we have no one that can hold off two guys and still have a first touch like Berbatov (well, close to Berbatov anyway..;)) and hold the ball etcetc. So how does that not add a new dimension to our play?
He gives us options that we don't have right now and he can be used in a lot of different ways. If he would be alone on the pitch then you would have a point, but he's got 10 other players around him to interact with and we still don't have to go through him every single time we attack.

You argue like we are either going to sign Zlatan or a good winger, which clearly is not the case. He doesn't stop any other transfers we might do.
Fair post.

I did say he is a good signing in my original post. But him 'alone' doesn't solve anything. If we buy other players, they will be the ones solving areas where we are in need. Zlatan is just a bonus, a big bonus.

My point about hoofing was lost, I have no idea what I was getting at to be honest :lol::lol: I must have switched my lines of thought as I was typing.

I don't like the guy, but i acknowledge how talented he is. I just can't see how he really changes anything. Our attack has been abysmal for 3 years, not for lack of quality strikers. If we started the season with our current squad and Zlatan, you'd find either two scenarios:

- Zlatan waiting on poor deliveries from midfield or wingers with no end product.
- Zlatan dropping deep to demand the ball, with no one dangerous to run in behind.

Both are scenarios we have seen too many times this season. So the tiresome circle would continue. That's why I say he solves very little. He might add a few extra goals which he is able to pluck out his ass, 35 yard screamers etc.

Add a goal scoring right winger or someone who can create from deep, and we are in business.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Our attack has been abysmal for 3 years, not for lack of quality strikers. If we started the season with our current squad and Zlatan, you'd find either two scenarios:

- Zlatan waiting on poor deliveries from midfield or wingers with no end product.
- Zlatan dropping deep to demand the ball, with no one dangerous to run in behind.
We lacked quality strikers, we lacked strikers with great positioning, creativity and movement. A good striker creates the conditions for assists and he transforms half chances into genuine chances or goals.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair post.

I did say he is a good signing in my original post. But him 'alone' doesn't solve anything. If we buy other players, they will be the ones solving areas where we are in need. Zlatan is just a bonus, a big bonus.

My point about hoofing was lost, I have no idea what I was getting at to be honest :lol::lol: I must have switched my lines of thought as I was typing.

I don't like the guy, but i acknowledge how talented he is. I just can't see how he really changes anything. Our attack has been abysmal for 3 years, not for lack of quality strikers. If we started the season with our current squad and Zlatan, you'd find either two scenarios:

Both are scenarios we have seen too many times this season. So the tiresome circle would continue. That's why I say he solves very little. He might add a few extra goals which he is able to pluck out his ass, 35 yard screamers etc.

Add a goal scoring right winger or someone who can create from deep, and we are in business.
A like the contrast of youth and experience he would add. In addition to Rooney, Schweinsteiger, and Carrick - Ibra would make the third prominent captain of his national team (even though he is likely retiring from NT after this Euro cycle). Playing alongside this type of experience will be immense for Rashford, Martial, Memphis, Januzaj, TFM, CBJ et al, and will create fantastic balance in our side.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Blue on Red
Begrudging praise for United from a Blue.

“You look at Mourinho, I think he only stays for two or three years at any club,” he said.

“And then obviously Zlatan is in the later years of his career and you can’t see him playing for more than one or two years if he does go to United.

“I still feel there’s a little bit of short-termism at Manchester United, but I think they’ve got a good man in.”

Trevor Sinclair
Of course Pep is a long stay manager isn't he Trevor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Blue on Red
Begrudging praise for United from a Blue.

“You look at Mourinho, I think he only stays for two or three years at any club,” he said.

“And then obviously Zlatan is in the later years of his career and you can’t see him playing for more than one or two years if he does go to United.

“I still feel there’s a little bit of short-termism at Manchester United, but I think they’ve got a good man in.”

Trevor Sinclair
Of course Pep is a long stay manager isn't he Trevor.
In fairness, both Pep and Mourinho could stay for much longer this time. At least, the framework for them to do so is there.

HabeasC

Yeah people seem to be forgetting that the French league is just as physical as the prem. It's not like he is coming from Italy or Spain and even if he were, lesser players from those countries have done very well in their first seasons.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
In fairness, both Pep and Mourinho could stay for much longer this time. At least, the framework for them to do so is there.
They could, but Pep has hinted he won't. He should look at his own manager before saying things about a rival clubs manager.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
@Adzzz and me were ahead of the game on this one, we spoke weeks ago about knowing this transfer was happening.

Someone spoke to us.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
@Adzzz and me were ahead of the game on this one, we spoke weeks ago about knowing this transfer was happening.

Someone spoke to us.
It was quite honestly, divine intervention, someone told us the truth and asked only that we believed.

We believe.

Lynty

We lacked quality strikers, we lacked strikers with great positioning, creativity and movement. A good striker creates the conditions for assists and he transforms half chances into genuine chances or goals.
I agree with this, but I don't think i'd go as far to say we lacked quality strikers. RVP had just come off a great season, Welbeck was performing really well and Hernandez has gone on to prove he wasn't the problem. Yet if we buy Zalatan to 'create conditions for assists and transform half chances into goals' aren't we in effect becoming the one dimensional side I mentioned, a'la City without Augero over this season.

I'm arguing that his signature doesn't solve problems, I competely agree that he's a better striker than we currently have.

A like the contrast of youth and experience he would add. In addition to Rooney, Schweinsteiger, and Carrick - Ibra would make the third prominent captain of his national team (even though he is likely retiring from NT after this Euro cycle). Playing alongside this type of experience will be immense for Rashford, Martial, Memphis, Januzaj, TFM, CBJ et al, and will create fantastic balance in our side.
And that's the biggest thing he brings to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.