g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with this, but I don't think i'd go as far to say we lacked quality strikers. RVP had just come off a great season, Welbeck was performing really well and Hernandez has gone on to prove he wasn't the problem. Yet if we buy Zalatan to 'create conditions for assists and transform half chances into goals' aren't we in effect becoming the one dimensional side I mentioned, a'la City without Augero over this season.

I'm arguing that his signature doesn't solve problems, I competely agree that he's a better striker than we currently have.
Welbeck and Hernandez left in 2014 and RVP was sub par last season. So yes we lacked quality strikers during two of the last three years.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thing is it was evident for quite a few years Gerrard was in decline. His quality meant he could still contribute but he was far from his peak past 30. Zlatan however seems to be getting better if anything, he's just had his best ever season.
French league. Guivarch looked good there.

Aki_United

When can we expect tha announcement? Can't wait. He will attract a lot of merchandise seekers. My brother, who is not really an United supporter like me, promised me to travel to Manchester so that we can watch him play. I think he is not the only one. His pull factor should not be underestimated imo.

Lynty

Welbeck and Hernandez left in 2014 and RVP was sub par last season. So yes we lacked quality strikers during two of the last three years.
Regardless, it doesn't change the base point.

Riz

French league. Guivarch looked good there.
Really is a pathetic argument for a number of reasons.

1. He didn't just "look good there". Did Guivarch score 38 goals and contribute 13 assists in 31 games in that league?

2. He isn't Guivarch.

3. That sort of analysis is pretty pointless anyway unless there's a strong trend of impressive imports from the French league struggling in the PL. Martial, Payet, Kante, Mahrez etc disprove that.

4. He's done it in Serie A and he did it in La Liga until he was, albeit understandably, marginalised to accommodate Messi in his best role.

JPRouve

Scout
Regardless, it doesn't change the base point.
It changes the base point, your quality strikers are two players who were contracted by other clubs and RVP who wasn't quality. So we lacked quality strikers.

Edit: I didnt mentioned your other point because it's based on the assumption that Ibrahimovic will be our only attacking signing.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The French league is shit - is the most intellectually lazy argument I've heard in a long time. Got no time to think ? Just say the league is shit and be part of the discussion.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The French league is shit - is the most intellectually lazy argument I've heard in a long time. Got no time to think ? Just say the league is shit and be part of the discussion.
It's a ridiculous assertion as well, just to compound the ridiculous nature of that line of thinking.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I'd like to know if the French league was shit when Bayern spent a kings ransom on Renato Sanches(edit: wait, that's the Portuguese league, a lower rep league than the French...), or when everyone gags over Veratti & Lacazette....

stepic

Payet played in the French league last season. He's clearly shit and won't make it at West Ham

HabeasC

For what it's worth, Martisl didn't look half as good in the French league as he has done here.

Dobbs

?

Zlatan is great at bringing others into play.

Do you watch a lot of his games?
Its pretty obvious you've never seen him play
I don't watch French football on a regular basis so others will have watched him more. I've seen him plenty over the years though.

I've no doubt that if the ball is played to him he'll retain possession. Forty yards from goal with his back to goal he'll be great. You need more than that though. Can he run the channels consistently and win possession for us there, 20 yards from goal. Slip in behind fullbacks and be a pivot there for others to play off.

I think all his best work will happen too far away from goal. Probably in the same area Rooney hovers.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It seems to be pretty well known that his long term goal is to manage Brazil?
Brazil have never had a foreign manager. I think it's a source of National pride for them. It's usually that way for the big nations(Germany too ,All Blacks another example)

I doubt he'll get that job. The CBF would rather hire busted flushes like Dunga or Scolari.

Kaos

If he was coming straight from the Dutch league I'd have my apprehensions, but the best recent imports to the PL have come from Ligue 1.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah, strange nobody has mentioned that Martial came from the French league and took to the PL with ease. What about Payet too? Mahrez and Kante came from the French second league! It's not as bad as the dutch league and to be honest any player who tears it up in any league like Ibra did, is worth a free transfer.

Dobbs

It's a ridiculous assertion as well, just to compound the ridiculous nature of that line of thinking.
If he was coming straight from the Dutch league I'd have my apprehensions, but the best recent imports to the PL have come from Ligue 1.
Guys you're missing the larger point. It's not just that the French League is considerably poorer than the EPL. It's that he's playing for PSG in the French League. A team so far ahead of the rest that it's a walk in the park. It's also the striker who benefits most in that situation.

It doesn't mean he won't work here but coming to United right now is a completely different environment. We've just finished 5th, play poor football and face massive competition. It's not absurd to point that out.

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Guys you're missing the larger point. It's not just that the French League is considerably poorer than the EPL. It's that he's playing for PSG in the French League. A team so far ahead of the rest that it's a walk in the park. It's also the striker who benefits most in that situation.

It doesn't mean he won't work here but coming to United right now is a completely different environment. We've just finished 5th, play poor football and face massive competition. It's not absurd to point that out.
34 goals in his last 35 games for Sweden who aren't really a international powerhouse

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
It is a shit league. In fact it's so shit that only winning that by February is considered a sackable offence.

Playing for too long in such a shit league lowers ones own standards. Maybe not so much for players looking to break into 'proper' leagues like Mahrez and Martial but not great for done-it-all winding-down types with nothing to prove.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Fair post.

I did say he is a good signing in my original post. But him 'alone' doesn't solve anything. If we buy other players, they will be the ones solving areas where we are in need. Zlatan is just a bonus, a big bonus.

My point about hoofing was lost, I have no idea what I was getting at to be honest :lol::lol: I must have switched my lines of thought as I was typing.

I don't like the guy, but i acknowledge how talented he is. I just can't see how he really changes anything. Our attack has been abysmal for 3 years, not for lack of quality strikers. If we started the season with our current squad and Zlatan, you'd find either two scenarios:

- Zlatan waiting on poor deliveries from midfield or wingers with no end product.
- Zlatan dropping deep to demand the ball, with no one dangerous to run in behind.

Both are scenarios we have seen too many times this season. So the tiresome circle would continue. That's why I say he solves very little. He might add a few extra goals which he is able to pluck out his ass, 35 yard screamers etc.

Add a goal scoring right winger or someone who can create from deep, and we are in business.
Well that's why I mentioned the national team. Seb Larsson and Kim Källström makes Lingard and Fellaini look like Figo and Xavi in their prime... very sad but also true. So Zlatan does solve those kind of problems and has done that for years and years for Sweden.

However, hopefully things won't have to come to that, and I certainly don't think it will. One big, no, huge factor you have to consider is the infamous Mr.Van Gaal. No one bar Messi could have changed our attack to something even worth mentioning last season. We were clearly heavily handicapped by our tactics so I think we should look at things from a new perspective from now on. New manager, hopefully a few new players, and best of all no LVG.
I feel sick just reading your post about how things looked last season because it brought up so many haunting memories of total boredom from watching that dross...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
7th best all-time goalscorer in the Champions League, hasn’t probably met any shite French teams there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It is a shit league. In fact it's so shit that only winning that by February is considered a sackable offence.

Playing for too long in such a shit league lowers ones own standards. Maybe not so much for players looking to break into 'proper' leagues like Mahrez and Martial but not great for done-it-all winding-down types with nothing to prove.
It's really not. Besides, United won the Prem by 18 a few years back and had things wrapped up by New Years, but no one was declaring the prem a shit league because of it. Sometimes you just have to give a player his due and recognize his quality.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Isn't the French league one of the most physical, defensive leagues around?

Judging one by their level of competition is a perilous exercise to begin with anyway.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
It's really not. Besides, United won the Prem by 18 a few years back and had things wrapped up by New Years, but no one was declaring the prem a shit league because of it. Sometimes you just have to give a player his due and recognize his quality.
I'm not stating fact, it's in hope that what I say is true. :) Zlat is a generation legend and I'm hoping he's got no more left to give for obvious reasons.

JPRouve

Scout
Isn't the French league one of the most physical, defensive leagues around?

Judging one by their level of competition is a perilous exercise to begin with anyway.
It is, which creates absolute bore festivals.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Not always. Larsson spent years at Celtic before his great cameo at United and then going on to win the UCL with Barca.

Dobbs

34 goals in his last 35 games for Sweden who aren't really a international powerhouse
Thats very good but have you seen Rooney's recent England record? Does it look anything like his United record?

You can't use international football as a barometer.

Moonred

Worst case, our young forward players will learn quite a bit ftom zlatan and he will end up bullying the smaller teams and score some goals. Best case, he will lead us to a strong campaign. Its a free transfer for a year. God knows why there is so much fannying about the merit of the signing. Not like we are severely wasting our budget for him and there's hardly many strikers who are gettable. Totally understand the oppositions hoping that he fails, I'd have done the same.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Thats very good but have you seen Rooney's recent England record? Does it look anything like his United record?

You can't use international football as a barometer.
Rooney done anything like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.