Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riz

Quite likely he'll be a success at United..but this a signing I can never agree to.
A huge admirer of his ability but for a club trying to move forward, bringing in a player as a stop gap is just strange and backward thinking.
I remember the Blanc signing..if this was a Larsson type, yeah.
Don't agree with that. If anything it's forward thinking as we're signing him to bridge the gap whilst Rashford develops - which shows how much faith we have in him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Quite likely he'll be a success at United..but this a signing I can never agree to.
A huge admirer of his ability but for a club trying to move forward, bringing in a player as a stop gap is just strange and backward thinking.
It's not strange at all. Most want him and he's coming off a career best year. We already have two very young forwards and could do with an experienced one.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Don't agree with that. If anything it's forward thinking as we're signing him to bridge the gap whilst Rashford develops - which shows how much faith we have in him.
Basically relegating Rashford to a fringe role. I don't see any sane manager starting Rashford ahead of him in the big games.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Signing pure quality is a move forward itself and you'll always need variety in your striker department if you want challenge on all four fronts. Zlatan is unique and his experience is priceless, also may help younger players.

You can say RvP was a stop gap too but it helped substantially in campaign for United's 20th title.

Riz

Basically relegating Rashford to a fringe role. I don't see any sane manager starting Rashford ahead of him in the big games.
As it stands he's the backup striker in a season where we'll be playing more games than usual in very quick succession, Thursday-Sunday etc. That is not a fringe role. The only level up would be starting striker which for an 18 year old is an absurd and unnecessary risk for both him and us.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's a decent signing, nothing more than that. I'm not as critical about this one as I was about the Falcao signing but once again I see plenty of people possibly expecting too much of him. He will solidify our front line and I expect him to bag around 12-15 goals in the PL alone because he brings the physical attributes necessary to succeed.
At the same time, I hope he'll understand having to make way for Rashford at times because continuing Rashford's development is gonna be key going forward. It's important to find the right balance and not hamper or alienate the talent we already have on board.
It would be a decent signing if it was for 20m. On a free it's an amazing one.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It would be a decent signing if it was for 20m. On a free it's an amazing one.
I assume he will have a monstrous salary that'll make up for the lack of a transfer fee. His agent is Mino Raiola, if the salary demands aren't completely ludicrous, something is wrong with the guy.

KikiDaKats

Supports
It's not strange at all. Most want him and he's coming off a career best year. We already have two very young forwards and could do with an experienced one.
I don't have an issue with his ability and experience. In fact I believe he is the best of his generation.
I used the Larsson example to show how it can be beneficial but he won't be signed for such a reduced role.

Dobbs

Good logic.
I would have expecting a statement of how the young CBs benefitted.
How old are you? 2?
I remember it being said that Blanc was signed to help Wes Brown mature. That went well.

Wes Brown barely changed from his debut to the time he left.

What really helps young players is playing. Nothing beats experience.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I remember it being said that Blanc was signed to help Wes Brown mature. That went well.

Wes Brown barely changed from his debut to the time he left.

What really helps young players is playing. Nothing beats experience.
Huge chunk of context missing there.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Nor would he start any big games if we'd sign another top striker like Aubameyang or Higuain and they would hold on to that position far longer than Ibra would with his 1+1 year deal.

Rashford is 18 years old, he doesn't need to play the big games perse. We can offer him plenty of minutes in the EL games, cup games and even some Pl games versus smaller teams and nobody is to say Ibra can't be substituted, on top of that Rashford seems to be equally good playing from the rightside so they can even play together if we want them to.

Rashford is not ready to be the big man upfront not yet. With Ibra we'd sign somebody who is and who would only be here for 2 years tops, which excellent time for rashford to grow into the role. And as a bonus he would be a free transfer (and all the his salary isn't free bullshit, no player plays for nothing, we can sign Higuain for £60m, he would also be paid a £200k a week salary).

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Signing a player who has scored 50 goals and made 16 assists in his last season and has a proper winning mentality is not backward thinking or strange. He will be a huge lift for the squad.

Zlatan was in my eyes, without doubt, the key to PSG's improvement. His fascinating character, his consistant excellence in training, and how he focused and prepared for matches were always examples for his teammates [...] When I arrived at PSG, I had heard of him as a difficult player to manage. On the contrary, I found myself a helpful, professional champion who was always focused on his work. Not only have I never had a problem with him, even better, he was often a great help to me [...] He loves being a leader, he was born with this attitude - he never avoids his responsibilities, rather he seeks them because they help him give the best of his ability. He is the most unselfish player I have met, and I consider him as one of the greatest current forwards, alongside Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Ancelotti

KikiDaKats

Supports
Signing pure quality is a move forward itself and you'll always need variety in your striker department if you want challenge on all four fronts. Zlatan is unique and his experience is priceless, also may help younger players.

You can say RvP was a stop gap too but it helped substantially in campaign for United's 20th title.
Do you even believe that RVP statement...remember his feeling when SAF retired.
If people don't think Rashford or Martial are good, it's fine by me..but let's stop saying his experience will be beneficial to their development. Experience is not transferable and the only way for them to learn is to gain their own.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If people don't think Rashford or Martial are good, it's fine by me..but let's stop saying his experience will be beneficial to their development. Experience is not transferable and the only way for them to learn is to gain their own.
Bullshit. You learn from other people and it's called inspiration and influence.

They won't be learning from James Milner but Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Bojan11

Last time I checked this isn't Rashford FC. People are getting far too carried away with Rashford.

Do we want to win the league anytime soon? We need a 25 goal striker to do that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I need some of what you're smoking!!!

KikiDaKats

Supports
Nor would he start any big games if we'd sign another top striker like Aubameyang or Higuain and they would hold on to that position far longer than Ibra would with his 1+1 year deal.

Rashford is 18 years old, he doesn't need to play the big games perse. We can offer him plenty of minutes in the EL games, cup games and even some Pl games versus smaller teams and nobody is to say Ibra can't be substituted, on top of that Rashford seems to be equally good playing from the rightside so they can even play together if we want them to.

Rashford is not ready to be the big man upfront not yet. With Ibra we'd sign somebody who is and who would only be here for 2 years tops, which excellent time for rashford to grow into the role. And as a bonus he would be a free transfer (and all the his salary isn't free bullshit, no player plays for nothing, we can sign Higuain for £60m, he would also be paid a £200k a week salary).
This is not about how good he is for me. I still rate him highly but I'd rather watch him from afar.
If United sign a higuain or Pierre its competition and if they can't displace them it'll mean, they are not progressing.
With Zlatan its just another Rooney situation(ability ignored) and the youngsters will be feeding off the crumbs.

KikiDaKats

Supports
Bullshit. You learn from other people and it's called inspiration and influence.

They won't be learning from James Milner but Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
When you call bullshit make sure you add sense to it..
Inspiring and influencing are not the same as experiencing.

stevoc

Of course it is, otherwise there wouldn't be teachers/tutors/instructors in any field passing on their knowledge.

Here's a good example football related i remembered of one older player passing on knowledge to a younger one.

“I was talking to Rio on Friday and he was giving me little pointers. He has played with and against Carlos Tevez for many years and seen him in training every day for a couple of years so he was giving me little bits of advice on how to play him.

“He was making the point that Carlos likes to feel the defenders at his back. So you let him have his touch before you move in and go for him. It was great advice because he is a tricky player. It was a really good challenge for me.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rio-ferdinand-chat-the-secret-of-chris-853977

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
You're experiencing high quality football when you have world class around you and in 4 parallel competitions Rashford will also have solid quantity of games on his own.

You're forcibly trying to find a non-existent conflict between having Rashford and Zlatan in the same team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Training with more experienced players means that you can gain experienced from them. They can teach you things and open your eyes to things due to their experience. Training with better and more experienced players can make you a more experienced player yourself.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
This is not about how good he is for me. I still rate him highly but I'd rather watch him from afar.
If United sign a higuain or Pierre its competition and if they can't displace them it'll mean, they are not progressing.
With Zlatan its just another Rooney situation(ability ignored) and the youngsters will be feeding off the crumbs.
You may have a point it might be easier to displace Higuain than Zlatan but it is highly unlikley either way. Rashford is 18 years old, he is not at the level yet of a real top striker, we can't expect him to play every game, we can't expect him to displace someone like Higuain or Zlatan nor does he need to at this time.

There are plenty of possibilities to give Rashford minutes in the team. As I said he can perfectly play from the rightside, on that psotion he wouldn't need to displace Zlatan. On top of he can displace Zlatan in the EL games and Cup games. If we want rashford could be involved in every game next season, might not always play the entire time but there are possibilities enough to give him minutes so he can grow.

Atleast with Zlatan we know we have an excellent opportunity to install Rashford as his replacement in the team in 2 years time. If you sign someone like Higuain or even worse Aubameyang who is much younger that is far more difficult to do.

Dobbs

Of course it is, otherwise there wouldn't be teachers/tutors/instructors in any field passing on their knowledge.

Here's a good example football related i remembered of one older player passing on knowledge to a younger one.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...rio-ferdinand-chat-the-secret-of-chris-853977
Smalling is maybe the worst passer of a ball we've had at centre back for some time. Yet he played with maybe the best we've ever had. The transfer of knowledge broke down somewhere. Big time.

You can get bits from other players but there really is no substitute for experience and practice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Smalling is maybe the worst passer of a ball we've had at centre back for some time. Yet he played with maybe the best we've ever had. The transfer of knowledge broke down somewhere. Big time.

You can get bits from other players but there really is no substitute for experience and practice.
Technique and knowledge are two very different things.

stevoc

Well you are talking about something completely different mate. Experience/knowledge can be transferred as the example i posted proves, skill/technique cannot.

If it could i'm sure we would have Scholes in every day teaching youngsters how to pass like he could.

Dobbs

Technique and knowledge are two very different things.
Agree and that's what I'm saying. There's not all that much you can learn by watching another. You've got to get out there yourself. In football anyway.

Well you are talking about something completely different mate. Experience/knowledge can be transferred as the example i posted proves, skill/technique cannot.

If it could i'm sure we would have Scholes in every day teaching youngsters how to pass like he could.
It's not really experience. Rio just happened to have trained with Tevez. A 21 year old could have passed on the same info.

There are little bits a player can pass on but the big stuff is skill and technique. Ibra can't teach Rashford how to hold up the ball or strike it like he can. Rashford will have to work on that himself.

manutddjw

I think Rashford is the real deal as well, but to pass up on Zlatan is irresponsible and too risky. LvG did this last year and look where that got him. He pinned all his hopes on Depay on the left which didn't work. Imagine where we'd of ended up had Martial not delivered? Rashford will get games. At worst he'll have a Chicharito under Sir Alex season which means he'll get plenty of games if he stays fit.

On top of that people would pass on Zlatan but sign Lukaku, Higuain and others. Wouldn't that hurt Rashford more? Zlatan would be gone in 2 years, others would be in their prime.

stevoc

It's not really experience. Rio just happened to have trained with Tevez. A 21 year old could have passed on the same info.

Yes of course if that 21 year old had trained and played with/against Tevez for 5 years. As that is how Ferdinand came upon the knowledge that he was able to pass on. Smalling having never faced Tevez before (or at least more than once or twice) possibly wouldn't have known how to contain him without Ferdinand's advice.

If you are suggesting thats not really experience being passed on then sorry mate your wide of the mark on this one. The experience one holds is the sum of all they have ever been taught, observed from others, or discovered for themselves etc.

There are little bits a player can pass on but the big stuff is skill and technique. Ibra can't teach Rashford how to hold up the ball or strike it like he can. Rashford will have to work on that himself.
Still not sure what exactly you are getting at here mate, you seem to be echoing much of what others have said myself included but your reply is written in such a way that it seems you are disagreeing.

Older more experienced players can pass on tips/advice/insight ie their experience to younger ones that is a fact.

Who has suggested Ibrahimovic can teach someone else how to be as skillful as he is?

All people are basically saying is that Ibrahimovic could mentor the younger strikers in our squad and pass on little bits of insight/advice that they can absorb and add to their own knowledge base.

Sereques

And we will probably learn the hard way we aint challenging, no legs in the team its asking allot

The point here is the manager in charge is a man that has won many trophies in different countries, he obviously know what he's doing.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
The point here is the manager in charge is a man that has won many trophies in different countries, he obviously know what he's doing.
Totally agree with you. But pretending to be smarter and know more than a world class manager is so much fun... What else would people do on the CAF if they couldn't do that.

Sereques

I will ask the same question you asked the other guy, are you 2?

Have you considered the scenario where he starts along with Rashford? That way the pressure is not on Rashford but on Zlatan who can handle the pressure. Rashford get games with peace of mind and given the time to develop.

Ixion

Rashford has only played in the first team for a few months, we have no idea how he will cope over an entire season, during the winter months, playing Thursday/Sunday. Playing him week in week out risks him getting injured or just burning out. Martial had an immediate imact when we signed him but even his form dipped for a while and he picked up a couple of injuries, the same could happen to Rashford.

We would be stupid not to bring in a new striker, our front line just scored our lowest number of League goals in 30 years and we had to resort to bringing Young, Memphis & Fellaini on as a striker at different points because we had no options. Bringing in a striker like Ibrahimovic, who we'll also want to avoid playing every game like Rashford, makes a lot of sense and the fact it's only for a year or two means Rashford has nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.