Álvaro Morata | Performances

El Pasillo

Morata's all goalscoring chances vs. Arsenal + Thierry Henry's comments during HT on Sky Sports

Streamable

I don't know if you're referring to his Chelsea days or overall career here.

But he was known as a wasteful striker in Spain, one of those "score the hard, miss the easier ones" players, he never got to 20 league goals with Atletico, and his best season was 21 goals in all comps with Atleti, his form with Liverpool took everyone for surprise here in Spain, the player he was supposed to be but everyone gave up on waiting by his 4th season with Atleti.

So, he probably missed 3 1vs1 in a single game, maybe even more, his games with Atleti in the Bernabeu were famous for how atrocious he was, if you want to find someone with a "lowest point" higher than Morata, Torres is not your guy, be it pre or post Liverpool stint.
Torres used to be a very highly rated young talented striker back in the days

And tbf, Atletico were faaaar from being the same team they are today.

Which makes Torres' output fairly impressive.

it's worth noting Cavani has similar issue's with missing sitters (funnily enough didn't he also miss loads vs Arsenal last season?)
At the very least, Cavani scored a goal during that 1-1 result from PSG-Arsenal game.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I guess by now converting 1:1s can be added to Morata's general deficits, along with an insufficient physical game. Although, as someone said on the previous page, regularly getting into these positions (which he does) is a good sign and a good basis for improvement. But there's quite a bit of work to be done for him to establish himself as an elite striker.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
We haven't seen Morata with enough clear cut chances yet to judge. Agree there are potential indications that he may have a Torres syndrome yet lets wait a bit longer before sentencing him. Undoubtedly he is the best header of the ball in the EPL.

Interestingly his conversion rate is better than Salah's though the latter gets more chances.
Second in "Big chances missed" with 14, first is Salah with 15.

Also he might have scored few headers with brilliant supply but he wins less number of aerial duels than Lukaku and with worse success rate. If we go by just goals then Aguero is second best and Lacazette 7th.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
That's exactly how statistics work.

noun
  1. the practice or science of collecting and analysing numerical data in large quantities, especially for the purpose of inferring proportions in a whole from those in a representative sample.
Hold up - YOU want to tell ME how stats work and your rebuttal is simply the definition of statistics????

I'll try to remain civil and end the discussion just by saying that you really don't seem to have a clue.

hn4manunited

I think this is strictly a first season finding his feet and adjusting to the quickness of the game here in the PL. Players from other leagues don't always adjust quickly to how little time they actually have to make a decision when the ball is at their feet or coming towards them. The fact that Morata is actually getting into positions to miss those sitters/chances, proves that he has a striker's mind. Once he gets adjusted, if his confidence hasn't been shot to bits, he will be a good striker for a certain style of team setup.

Having said that, I still think Lukaku still fits what Jose's team needs better at this moment in time.

prateik

There is so much going on in that video. Ozil, Bellerin in a tutu, Costa, Fly Haemorrhoids, Cech's sign about JT .

Suedesi

Shows you how valuable elite strikers are at the top level. If Kane was upfront for Chelsea tonight they win that about 5 - 2.
This season, top teams all have strikers that are good but not world class. Morata, Lukaku, Lacazette, Firmino, Jesus.

Spurs are the exception.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This season, top teams all have strikers that are good but not world class. Morata, Lukaku, Lacazette, Firmino, Jesus.

Spurs are the exception.
Spurs got lucky that an academy product is the second coming of Alan Shearer, otherwise they would be stuck with a run of the mill striker.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He scores and assists consistently and helps the game of his teammates. No white text for sure, I rate him.
Nothing wrong with rating him (I rate him as well), but if he's a level above the rest then he's gotta be one of the top strikers in the world?

If he's a level above them but not one of the best; then you must be using some quantum formula to decided that Firmino is just above them but a bit below the best strikers in the world.

Kapardin

Nothing wrong with rating him (I rate him as well), but if he's a level above the rest then he's gotta be one of the top strikers in the world?

If he's a level above them but not one of the best; then you must be using some quantum formula to decided that Firmino is just above them but a bit below the best strikers in the world.
Its' not cut and dry like that. Fact is, Firmino is a better player than Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata and Jesus. Much better.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its' not cut and dry like that. Fact is, Firmino is a better player than Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata and Jesus. Much better.
This is a Morata thread so no point in clogging this thread. I like Firmino and I understand why you think that. He is a tidy forward.

svn

He's clearly struggling for form and/or confidence at the moment. He's a cracking player, though. He'll still score a decent amount over the course of the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Is he trying to rival Bakayoko as the worst signing of the summer? :smirk:

cyberman

Thats one of the worst performances I've ever seen.
I hope a highlights package gets uploaded somewhere

Nick7

Poor finisher, worse diver. He's been getting away with it though, until today.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Morata getting sent off was the worst possible thing to happen to Norwich

No chance he’d even hit the net on a penalty :lol:

AshRK

He needs to stop falling around like a child. He does that way too often and he got his punishment for that. He is a good player but his attitude has a big question mark. Reminds me a lot like Di Maria for us.