40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I had Facchetti - Dzajic myself in the semi's of Euro draft. The people were not impressed, though maybe Brehme - Dzajic was a more complimentary partnership, a shame that there were no right-backs available.
Facchetti was no slouch defensively. Also, you had a good DM to cover. Did people question Ondrus since he was a sweeper? Should have been closer than 4-12, though. Saying that, Joga had a great defence + Platini, Rummenigge and draft favourite Elkjaer.. I was in the semi to but looking back, i can see why EAP beat me.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Aldo 1. Best 2.
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2.
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2.
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2.
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2.
Gio 1. Figueroa 2.
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2.
sallycinnamin 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto

@NM @Edgar Allan Pillow

Annahnomoss

Yes, I suppose the main problem with him is that he requires more protection/lifting from others than most players who are comparable in this context (drafts, I mean). You can't play him in a conventional/modern set-up when facing another conventional/modern set-up and realistically claim that he'll pull his weight.

It's like having a so-called luxury player of the sort you usually associate with a purely attacking role - only you have him significantly deeper on the pitch, in an area where you'd normally want someone who will at least chip in a little bit with off-the-ball stuff.

That said, it would be completely unfair to simply write him off as liability per default - as he can easily shine if you're willing to give him the right protection. Will be very interesting to see how he fares here.
Gerson is a bit odd and interesting in that regard. He lacked the lungs and the intensity in his game, but that had more negatives to his offensive game than to his defensive one. He realized his inability to sprint back and forth and instead primarily remained placed further back on the pitch to be defensively solid, instead of leaving his midfield partner alone whilst he bursted up to attack while exposing the defense.

That Brazil side just conceded more than twice in two games - against Romania and Peru. I think the main victim of him being a luxury player was himself, he could have been even better if he had the necessary work rate, on and off the pitch. But I don't think he was ever a player who left his central midfield partner exposed in the way a typical luxury player would have done.

Will be great to see how he is used and received though.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Aldo 1. Best 2.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2.
Gio 1. Figueroa 2.
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But I don't think he was ever a player who left his central midfield partner exposed in the way a typical luxury player would have done.
Well, not directly - no. He rarely LEFT anywhere, one might say, but therein lies the problem: It's the other guy who has to move, tracking opposition players, covering the ground you need to cover without the ball in order not to get overrun, etc. But I understand what you're suggesting, and it's not wrong: He's not a liability in the sense that he's just some fancy ballplayer who positions himself recklessly in a defensive sense - he certainly isn't that.

However, if we're using the '70 team as the standard for how Gerson operates, the main problem with him becomes apparent: That team is incredibly offensive compared to what the standard in these drafts seemingly has become. I don't like that myself - it's frankly quite boring. But it is what it is. I can practically guarantee that a team featuring Gerson in his natural role, teamed up with a single partner in the middle of the park - with four mainly offensive players ahead - will not fare well in a Caf draft. The sort of set-up in which he excelled historically isn't viable, in other words, so in all likelihood you need to find a role for him in a very different set-up - which again leaves you open to criticism from the "proven" brigade.

But we'll see - I hope he gets to shine a bit here, because he certainly deserves that: One of those players it's just a sheer pleasure to watch when he's on the ball.

Annahnomoss

Well, not directly - no. He rarely LEFT anywhere, one might say, but therein lies the problem: It's the other guy who has to move, tracking opposition players, covering the ground you need to cover without the ball in order not to get overrun, etc. But I understand what you're suggesting, and it's not wrong: He's not a liability in the sense that he's just some fancy ballplayer who positions himself recklessly in a defensive sense - he certainly isn't that.

However, if we're using the '70 team as the standard for how Gerson operates, the main problem with him becomes apparent: That team is incredibly offensive compared to what the standard in these drafts seemingly has become. I don't like that myself - it's frankly quite boring. But it is what it is. I can practically guarantee that a team featuring Gerson in his natural role, teamed up with a single partner in the middle of the park - with four mainly offensive players ahead - will not fare well in a Caf draft. The sort of set-up in which he excelled historically isn't viable, in other words, so in all likelihood you need to find a role for him in a very different set-up - which again leaves you open to criticism from the "proven" brigade.

But we'll see - I hope he gets to shine a bit here, because he certainly deserves that: One of those players it's just a sheer pleasure to watch when he's on the ball.
Yup. And we can't forget how superior that team were individually to their opponents as well - a standard theme in these drafts. I would also prefer to see him in a midfield three, not necessarily as the most offensive one in that midfield - but with legs around him regardless.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I really thought Riva would get picked ahead of Law. Arguably the greatest Italian forward of all time. Surprised he lasted till now!
Unless we consider Albert a pure/proper striker, the only one he could've been picked ahead of so far is Law. So, it's hardly a shocker that he wasn't picked. This wouldn't be some sort of sales pitch on your part, would it?

Joking aside, he's a great player. But I wouldn't have him over The King myself - and that's an objective statement. Wouldn't have him over Albert either for that matter, but that's a bit different.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yes, I suppose the main problem with him is that he requires more protection/lifting from others than most players who are comparable in this context (drafts, I mean). You can't play him in a conventional/modern set-up when facing another conventional/modern set-up and realistically claim that he'll pull his weight.

It's like having a so-called luxury player of the sort you usually associate with a purely attacking role - only you have him significantly deeper on the pitch, in an area where you'd normally want someone who will at least chip in a little bit with off-the-ball stuff.

That said, it would be completely unfair to simply write him off as liability per default - as he can easily shine if you're willing to give him the right protection. Will be very interesting to see how he fares here.
He's quite similar to Pirlo, really. Followed the same kind of career path too, in terms of positions. Started off as an offensive playmaker higher up the pitch but eventually dropped back into the holding role to become the conductor of the team.

Like Pirlo, I think Gerson's defensive game is being a tad undervalued here, but you're right that in this draft playing him in a midfield two would be bold.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I really thought Riva would get picked ahead of Law. Arguably the greatest Italian forward of all time. Surprised he lasted till now!
Meazza and Baggio are ahead of him if we are talking about forwards. If we are talking about strikers then Italy is not exactly rich in this position - Riva, Piola and Vieri, all somehow underwhelming in an all-time context, imo. Law is more versatile too.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Was hoping to wake up to a pick.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Aye, agree with the last bit in particular. I can see why Law was picked ahead of him on a United forum though and there probably isn't much in it either way.

Great pick though, I was hoping he would slip through.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Aye, agree with the last bit in particular. I can see why Law was picked ahead of him on a United forum though and there probably isn't much in it either way.

Great pick though, I was hoping he would slip through.
Who are you with?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Aldo
1. Best 2.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2.
Gio 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas

@crappycraperson

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

I'll take Florian Albert, the best thing that happened to Hungary since Aranycsapat and a Ballon D'Or winner in 1967.

He is often being underrated, like a lot of footballers who were born on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, but take a look at the company he is in, tucked between Sir Bobby Charlton and George Best, the players whose level we all know and admire. Tragically, there are very little footage of him, but the personal highlights from, probably, the most important game of his life are available on youtube.

1966, Hungary meets Brazil, current world champions and a side that hasn't lost in the World Cup finals for 12 years (funny enough, their last loss was also to Hungary, in 1954). And Florian Albert, an outstanding talent that he is, produces one of the best individual performances in the history of the World Cup, tearing Brazilians a new one in his unique effortless and graceful style. Why bother with words when you can check it out for yourself:

There he is :drool:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Gio for this one :)
Two draft veterans with multiple wins between them and a seemingly depth-less pool of knowledge on older players? Okay, I can take you.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Not for me, but Riva is a much better pick than what Dzajic would have been for you imo. The striker pool is pretty shocking too and as per my list, there are very few top forwards remaining.

Meazza and Baggio are ahead of him if we are talking about forwards. If we are talking about strikers then Italy is not exactly rich in this position - Riva, Piola and Vieri, all somehow underwhelming in an all-time context, imo. Law is more versatile too.
You could also include that unpicked forward above Riva in the pantheon of Italian forwards as well. Once again fine margins between Riva and Law but Law's versatility and all-round game, meant that Law was a no-branier for me. Capable of playing as a centre-forward or a second-striker or as an inside left/right, if need be under specific conditions. Riva too was fairly pacey and capable of playing on the wings due to his pace but in terms of his all-round game, Law is ahead of him.

Unless we consider Albert a pure/proper striker, the only one he could've been picked ahead of so far is Law. So, it's hardly a shocker that he wasn't picked. This wouldn't be some sort of sales pitch on your part, would it?

Joking aside, he's a great player. But I wouldn't have him over The King myself - and that's an objective statement. Wouldn't have him over Albert either for that matter, but that's a bit different.
Aye, Albert was the only one who I was seriously debating over but he was more of a second-striker and someone who would look slightly out of place spearheading the attack himself, if I'm not wrong. Phenomenal player though and a great pick if you can build the team around him.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So in these drafts do people play spoilers and specifically stop others from getting desired players they know a specific dafter would take or need, or is it generally a case of the perceived best players being taken in order before the tactical fun and games start?

I am surprised there hasn't been an 'orchestrator run' as that's a vital role in these sides, generally and you don't want a crappy one running your team.

It's also pretty intriguing to see what those guys at the top of the draft do with their next two picks as they've generally got the best players to start with and can make a really crazy start to the draft as a whole.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Aldo 1. Best 2.
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2.
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2.
Balu 1. G. Müller 2.
ctp 1. Rivelino 2.
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão
Gio 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas

@ctp

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
So in these drafts do people play spoilers and specifically stop others from getting desired players they know a specific dafter would take or need, or is it generally a case of the perceived best players being taken in order before the tactical fun and games start?

I am surprised there hasn't been an 'orchestrator run' as that's a vital role in these sides, generally and you don't want a crappy one running your team.

It's also pretty intriguing to see what those guys at the top of the draft do with their next two picks as they've generally got the best players to start with and can make a really crazy start to the draft as a whole.
I imagine players usually have a formation, style and game plan in mind when picking players and will choose the best players available to them. They will also decide which positions are most important to their tactics and which position gets the most votes whilst deciding. Also, in drafts of these types (Where the pool isn't as large) they will prioritise the positions that have the least amount of players in them.

Guys at the top tend to pick a GOAT and build a side to get the best out of him. If you can get the best out of a Pele, Best, Cruyff or Beckenbauer then you are likely to reach the final.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I imagine players usually have a formation, style and game plan in mind when picking players and will choose the best players available to them. They will also decide which positions are most important to their tactics and which position gets the most votes whilst deciding. Also, in drafts of these types (Where the pool isn't as large) they will prioritise the positions that have the least amount of players in them.

Guys at the top tend to pick a GOAT and build a side to get the best out of him. If you can get the best out of a Pele, Best, Cruyff or Beckenbauer then you are likely to reach the final.
So no spoiling, generally?

Is that because of how good they are perceived to be (vote winners) or is it because they're what make a good side great?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
So no spoiling, generally?

Is that because of how good they are perceived to be (vote winners) or is it because they're what make a good side great?
Not from my knowledge.

A bit of both really. They are generally, for the average scan voter, the main reason why people will get votes. If you can then get the best out of them through your write ups and tactics you will likely have most people on board as the team will be an all time great team. For example, a team that gets the best out of Pele will probably be at least as strong as Guardiola's Barca that got the best out of Messi, probably stronger man for man. It's a lot harder to do it though as the best of the rest are all mostly taken when it comes back to you.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not from my knowledge.

A bit of both really. They are generally, for the average scan voter, the main reason why people will get votes. If you can then get the best out of them through your write ups and tactics you will likely have most people on board as the team will be an all time great team. For example, a team that gets the best out of Pele will probably be at least as strong as Guardiola's Barca that got the best out of Messi, probably stronger man for man. It's a lot harder to do it though as the best of the rest are all mostly taken when it comes back to you.
OK. Cheers.

Interested in seeing how this unfolds.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
From what I've played strengthening your own team takes priority over shafting others. If both overlap, then well and good, but then people usually try not to follow same strategy as a bad reinforcement order may put you in the defensive. But, yeah, I wouldn't mind doing it just for the kicks, esp if it's against @Skizzo lol

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Definitely. I've not tried to screw over anyone yet, not on purpose at least. Don't really see the point in that.
I don't see how you can, unless you are psychic?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't see how you can, unless you are psychic?
Maybe not now, but nearing the end of draft or during reinforcements it's not that difficult to predict who'll be picked by whom. There's a tendency to recreate glorious side (Brazil '70, or great Milan defence etc) plus you can say what managers favourite players are and minor things like that.