40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There are 2 tbh, that needs to be banned.
More than that, surely. There's the one guy, obviously.

Beyond him, though, I don't see ONE standout man who needs to be banned. There are multiple GOATs here, in all positions. Ban 'em all, I says, let the obscure boys shine.

But the one guy should be banned at any rate - he's too easy to use in any set-up, and too easy to sell as being a notch above.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Really? Ffs. I might actually have to do some research ahead of the first pick.
It's subjective but for me a GOAT is a top 5-6 in their position/role and those 12 outfied players fit that, for me at the very least. I'd say there are plenty more greats/second tier greats? (not strict GOATs as such) as well which bodes pretty well for the managers in the lower rung who can pick two fantastic players.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Beyond him, though, I don't see ONE standout man who needs to be banned. There are multiple GOATs here, in all positions. Ban 'em all, I says, let the obscure boys shine.
I'd generally agree with that in most drafts but given the depth of the pool (there are some positions that you can't fill with 16 players, even with some really random players thrown inside), I'd say just ban that one GOAT and leave the rest as they are. There will be plenty of Russian Maradonas and Bolivian di Stefanos making their debuts in this draft as it stands.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I wouldn't ban anyone, because it's a decades draft and the teams should reflect the decade. It would be weird if we banned the best players. I'm pretty sure we get more than enough obscure names here. It's different to some of the other themes we had in recent times. Similarly I wouldn't want Maradona banned in a World Cup draft. Or Platini in a Euro draft. Or Henry and Ronaldo banned in a Premier League draft.

Was Maradona banned in the 60's draft?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I wouldn't ban anyone, because it's a decades draft and the teams should reflect the decade. It would be weird if we banned the best players. I'm pretty sure we get more than enough obscure names here. It's different to some of the other themes we had in recent times. Similarly I wouldn't want Maradona banned in a World Cup draft. Or Platini in a Euro draft. Or Henry and Ronaldo banned in a Premier League draft.

Yeah. agreed.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, you're actually right.

Easier that way too - we could argue all day about who should be banned as per their status or non-status as official or non-official GOATs.

Works for me. I'll take the extremist route: Either you ban 'em all, or you let 'em all loose.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
So.. Any new features in this draft? Like:
  • Make votes invisible to lessen their influence on others voters.
  • New penalty system?
  • Scorelines?
  • Include a team-instructions-section in the write-up. Doesn't have to be long. Just to give voters an idea of how you want your team to play. Those could be put next to the formation picture (you know, for lazy voters who don't read the write-ups).
  • Can't make a sub before half time (12 hrs into matches). How often do we see subs in the first half?
First 3 are from the "Next Draft Ideas"-thread. Last 2 are things i've thought of.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So.. Any new features in this draft? Like:
  • Make votes invisible to lessen their influence on others voters.
  • New penalty system?
  • Scorelines?
  • Include a team-instructions-section in the write-up. Doesn't have to be long. Just to give voters an idea of how you want your team to play. Those could be put next to the formation picture (you know, for lazy voters who don't read the write-ups).
  • Can't make a sub before half time (12 hrs into matches). How often do we see subs in the first half?
First 3 are from the "Next Draft Ideas"-thread. Last 2 are things i've thought of.
Should try out some of it - could try out all of it.

Something needs to be done about the match format - it's grown stale. I hardly bother reading the match threads anymore - with few exceptions the one looks just like the other.

The drafting should last long enough for us to discuss which ideas to implement in the other thread.

Only particular suggestion I have here and now is that we should probably wait with the keeper/penalty bit until the next draft. It could potentially alter the importance of keeper drafting - and with a limited pool, like this one, that isn't fair to implement in an on-going draft (and we won't have time to discuss it now, before the actual drafting begins).

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I only see one GOAT that really stands out as a real vote winner on his own. Everyone else is too old to be too much of a sway for people.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I only see one GOAT that really stands out as a real vote winner on his own. Everyone else is too old to be too much of a sway for people.
Look again ;) And don't underestimate the voters

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Look again ;) And don't underestimate the voters
There are like, 5/6 players afterwards who are around the same level. Restricting them would kind of suck though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Till date, I've never been in Top 5 of the draft order! Wish I could be #1 now.
I was once and it was the most pointless 1st place in the history of drafts. I picked Trapattoni as a manager and then Gio picked him too. So I was essentially the last one in the player drafting.

Moby

Dick
Sorry, I've been out. There won't be any banned players. If there's nothing else to clear up then can someone neutral please make the draw? Thanks.

The Stain

Lol, Aldo. I didn't even look at the list before posting it here.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
10th - no mans land. The disadvantage of the middle of a sheep draft is that you miss out on the marquee players at the start, and then again at each reinforcement round. Albeit you are better placed to respond to a run of players in a certain position, but it's small beer in comparison.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This messes with my ingenious strategy. I was planning on cruising below radar at 12th or thereabouts, go all hipster and don't pick a single obvious player.

Could still do it, of course. But it would look too forced now. Non-obvious hipsterism is the name of the game. Now I'm going marquee all the way.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Anyone have a link for the 60's draft? Can't find it with search.

Quite intrigued to follow this draft even though i'm not quite sure I know what's going on. :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Yeah, Polaroid's workaround for that was a 60s draft that started after Maradona's date of birth (which I think is 30 October 1960).
Edit - actually that is bollocks, he just removed Diego from the pool.

The Stain

Aldo 1. Best
Chesterlestreet
RedTiger
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard
Gol123
Invictus
Balu
ctp
crappycraperson
Gio
NM/EAP
sallycinnamin
harms
Tuppet
Joga Bonito
Marty1968

@Chesterlestreet

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, Polaroid's workaround for that was a 60s draft that started after Maradona's date of birth (which I think is 30 October 1960).
That was another one - can't remember which, some kind of criterion thing, I think.