View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Shinjch

He will have his uses over the season, but will continue to be a problem for the team. Can only think the manager didn't have the budget available to upgrade in this position as a priority.

rooney2009

He’s had his 1st bad game in a very long and now all the AWB haters are out in full force
Give the Lad a break, everyone is going to have a bad game once in a while.

Lowkey

He’s had his 1st bad game in a very long and now all the AWB haters are out in full force
Give the Lad a break, everyone is going to have a bad game once in a while.
he was very poor against madrid too. our right side is very poor compared to the left side and needs to be adressed.

We wont be challenging unless we improve the right side of the team. Wan Bissaka and Antony are not good enough.

InfiniteBoredom

Your physique definitely can affect certain abilities. There are always exceptions but you can see they way he passes the ball, those long loopy limbs with a high centre don't help him.

If you look at most top ball players they're not big guys.
I don’t deny that there are certain skillset that come easier with certain type of physiques, but in AWB case that doesn’t apply. Having a pair of long leg isn’t the reason that makes him over hit or underhit a cross, or failed to pick out anybody in particular. It’s about his speed of thought, visual recognition and practice at crossing. He’s simply awful at them which makes him fail at delivery even with minimal pressure from his marker.

MTF

AWB put his RW or whoever plays close to him needlessly under pressure because he's so poor on the ball. He dumps the ball to teammates who are covered because he can't pass his way out of slightly harder angles. Put the heat on him and he'll dump the ball to the closest teammate he sees despite the latter being heavily marked. The man can't even run with the ball properly, when he tries to accelerate the ball sometimes stays behind him and he has to stop himself to regather the ball. He's awfully uncomfortable with the ball.
Both these things bother me so much, especially the passing into teammates that are tightly marked and in unfavorable situations.

Hoof the ball

Can we agree, based pre-season, that tactically EtH is looking for his RB to invert into DM alongside Casemiro (or whomever is playing there)?

EtH started doing it last season and in every game this pre-season, so, we should expect this to continue.

With that in mind, is AWB suitable as a traditional fullback? Yes. But we've already established that EtH is demanding his RB to invert to DM, so, the question becomes 'is AWB suitable as an inverted fullback?' No.

This will be a problem until EtH is able to recruit in this position because AWB does not have the game intelligence or technical ability to do for us what Stones does for City.

Based Adnan

Can we agree, based pre-season, that tactically EtH is looking for his RB to invert into DM alongside Casemiro (or whomever is playing there)?

EtH started doing it last season and in every game this pre-season, so, we should expect this to continue.

With that in mind, is AWB suitable as a traditional fullback? Yes. But we've already established that EtH is demanding his RB to invert to DM, so, the question becomes 'is AWB suitable as an inverted fullback?' No.

This will be a problem until EtH is able to recruit in this position because AWB does not have the game intelligence or technical ability to do for us what Stones does for City.
He's not a suitable traditional fullback for a top club either. Agreed with his inability to invert.

It's another makeshift season at RB for us.

Blood Mage

He's a great traditional right-back but it's clear that Ten Hag is looking for more than that. The only reason we haven't bought a new RB this summer is because we had other areas to address.

Gandalf

He's a great traditional right-back but it's clear that Ten Hag is looking for more than that. The only reason we haven't bought a new RB this summer is because we had other areas to address.
Agreed. Based on all the links this summer and last to replacements in his position I think it is safe to say that the AWB/Dalot battle is ultimately over who will be the back up and who will be sold when the new starter is signed.

Howl

He's not a suitable traditional fullback for a top club either. Agreed with his inability to invert.

It's another makeshift season at RB for us.
I disagree on bolded. Dalot does this very effectively. There was many times in the first half yesterday where our midfield went awol and Dalot had to come into the midfield to receive the ball in order to play it forward. I would say it's his best attribute actually.

gajender

What makes him a great traditional right-back he isn't particularly great in defensive aspects either he has flaws there as well . He is a decent player nothing more .

Based Adnan

I disagree on bolded. Dalot does this very effectively. There was many times in the first half yesterday where our midfield went awol and Dalot had to come into the midfield to receive the ball in order to play it forward. I would say it's his best attribute actually.
I like the profile of Dalot and if he brings the form he did pre world cup last season then I agree

El Jefe

Dalot poor performance. Half a page of criticism

AWB poor performance. 3 pages minimum of criticism.

That's how it's always been here. I don't mind people thinking AWB isn't good enough but I will never accept Dalot being better than him because he isn't.

jesperjaap

That may be a fair point, but I see you later mention you think this would be one of Dalots strengths if I read correctly? Know its an old age debate the last couple of seasons, but I dont see anymore in his game that allows him to play the inverted role. We have seen a lot of people mentioning Dalot being a much better "attacking" full back, which personally I find a myth, he is just better at carrying the ball.

Havent seen either play the inverted role, so we dotn know if either can play it.....but I dont think either of them are good enough on the ball or intelligence wise to play there.

Have to wonder why we have kept both, when they would both have decent value....pretty much enough to buy a replacement.

Personally always rated Bissaka despite his flaws and enver rated Dalot at all....so obvious which I would have moved on. Persoanlly think AWB is improving though a long way to still, dont see it in Dalot, jsut think he showed good form for a period last year....I dont se right back as a problem this season, still think we are too far away especially as a squad for all these little tactical tweaks, we still have squad players who are on big wages and bench positions that seem unable to consistently do the basics of there positions, think addressing that is more important for the remainder of the window as injuries/suspensions/lack of form in at least three positions and we are in big trouble

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Resorting to strawman I see. AWB being awful on the ball and poor in build up plays isn't something we've just found out yesterday. It's a well know notion about him.

So stop with these type of posts, they are ridiculous.
That’s an incorrect notion. He’s very comfortable in possession

RedOrange

That’s an incorrect notion. He’s very comfortable in possession
I think he does a good job of making himself available for his teammates but he doesn't progress the ball well unless the space has been given to him. When the ball has just been switched to his side he dribbles it forward but when the opponents get closer he stops and really only ever sees teammates to pass to when they're close by. Once the play is established on his side of the pitch, all of the creative work is left to the one or two teammates near him, and the opponent just has to wait for AWB to make a pass that's a little bit off (which he does a fair bit) and they'll steal the ball back. We really need to right back to pick out a cross, through ball or a cheeky little pass into space to give his teammates opportunities, and AWB doesn't do a lot of any of those.

One might say that this is outweighed by his excellent defensive abilities, and I would agree somewhat. He is an incredible tackler, has great recovery speed, etc. However if the goal is to play a possession based attacking style then having players who are not very good at that ends up being a defensive liability. Every time a player fails to progress the ball he gives the opponent another opportunity to steal it away, every time he gives it away he gives the opponent an opportunity to counterattack. It's good if a player can recover and defend in these situations, but it's better if they make the right moves and don't have to.

Whether Dalot is a better option can be debated but we are going to struggle to be productive with the ball on the right side with AWB, and it's a major tactical weakness. Even if AWB's other skills make him a better player overall, the more solid possession we get, the more valuable Dalot will be on the right side. That's also going to be true of Amrabat (if he's purchased) and Casemiro, and probably Varane and whoever his eventual competition is.

Trex

AWB had a good second half to the season and that's why he's still here, kudos to him. My issue with him is similar to De gea, he is just not a natural for the demands of the kind of football we are trying to implement.
Dalot is more suitable stylistically even though I wouldn't say he's top drawer in terms of quality, we most likely aren't going to sign a right back this summer but it will be an area to upgrade in the near future.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We are a counter attacking team that retains possesion - a transitional side.
If people cant see how AWBs tackles can benefit that then kudos.

Trex

We're a team that want to play out from the back and have the fullback invert into midfield during the build up, you need playmaking qualities as a fullback in such set up. It is simply not Awb forth.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's pretty clear Ten Haag is making the most of what he has got at his disposal, thus created a new role specifically for his best right back. I think we'll see a lot more assists and contribution now that AWB is making runs closer to the center.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
AWB had a good second half to the season and that's why he's still here, kudos to him. My issue with him is similar to De gea, he is just not a natural for the demands of the kind of football we are trying to implement.
Dalot is more suitable stylistically even though I wouldn't say he's top drawer in terms of quality, we most likely aren't going to sign a right back this summer but it will be an area to upgrade in the near future.
Aye. With De Gea gone (and assuming Hojlund starts at CF) AWB is pretty clearly the player in our starting eleven least suited to the manager's preferred approach.

Whatever about the short term where compromises need to be made, looking beyond this season continuing to carry AWB's stylistic weaknesses is unsustainable and simply not going to happen.

But that's next summer's issue. As it stands he has certainly shown he can play well enough to keep the more stylistically suitable but not all that impressive Dalot out of the side.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
AWB has always been the better defensive RB. He’s also improve his attacking play last season and his dribbling has been immense. He’s shown that he can improve his game under a top coach. What’s Dalots best attribute? Crossing? Passing maybe? Not sure.

Trex

All it took was one pre season game and his haters come back in force. Jesus. :lol:
Is it hate to point out he's not a suitable profile for our set up. I like the fight he showed to win his spot back but at a club like united that can afford the very best I think long term ETH would still replace him just like he did De Gea.

Trex

AWB has always been the better defensive RB. He’s also improve his attacking play last season and his dribbling has been immense. He’s shown that he can improve his game under a top coach. What’s Dalots best attribute? Crossing? Passing maybe? Not sure.
Its not a Dalot vs awb debate, its a awb vs the best at playing the inverted rb role debate.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Is it hate to point out he's not a suitable profile for our set up. I like the fight he showed to win his spot back but at a club like united that can afford the very best I think long term ETH would still replace him just like he did De Gea.
This thread was positive for the first few pages and then as soon as he made an error, out comes the knives and people start to shit on him.

The player who should be replaced is clearly Dalot. For an attacking fullback he simply doesn't do enough, you can criticise AWB but it's a squad game. There will be moments during the season when a player like AWB is extremely useful. We need the tactical fluidity to be able to react to games and change tactics. It's shocking how people seem to not understand this basic concept. For an attacking fullback Dalot simply doesn't do enough going forward and he's an average defender. It's bizarre people have this notion that both our rightbacks have to be the exact same player. Variety is good, it's better for the squad.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This thread was positive for the first few pages and then as soon as he made an error, out comes the knives and people start to shit on him.

The player who should be replaced is clearly Dalot. For an attacking fullback he simply doesn't do enough, you can criticise AWB but it's a squad game. There will be moments during the season when a player like AWB is extremely useful. We need the tactical fluidity to be able to react to games and change tactics. It's shocking how people seem to not understand this basic concept. For an attacking fullback Dalot simply doesn't do enough going forward and he's an average defender. It's bizarre people have this notion that both our rightbacks have to be the exact same player. Variety is good, it's better for the squad.
If posters could make the case that Dalot was that much better that we don't need a AWB type defender then fair enough.... But anyone still thinking that after the last 12 months can't really be taken seriously

Howl

I don't think that's clear at all. Dalot is very good at what Ten Hag wants from his fullback. Come inside to the midfield and progress play. Wan Bissaka plays more like a traditional fullback where he's up and down the wing, which I agree is good variety. The stats show reflect this as well, Dalot makes far more passes whilst Wan Bissaka dribbles more. You seem to misunderstand Ten Hags tactics when you say Dalot is a poor "attacking fullback" because that's not really the way we set up when Dalot plays. He's clearly not instructed to go up and down the wing but instead to come into the midfield and be an extra man. This tactically makes sense because we have two attacking midfielders who will drift into the channels, specifically Bruno on the right hand side, which alleviates the need for a traditional style fullback.

I was very impressed By Wan Bissaka's improvement last year specifically with his dribbling, but it's not a criticism of him to say I prefer Dalot because Dalot is the better passer and that's what I like in a fullback. I'll even go a step further and say we have two good right backs who are different styles of player, and I don't think we will see a new right back come in unless they both suck this year.

Trex

If you read my earlier post you will know I don't think Dalot is doing it to the required standard either. In terms of variety it depends, having variety can come in handy but it can also be disruptive. You don't want to adjust your entire gameplay simply because your right back is injured. It depends on the manager and what he fancies, plus understand Dalot was a punt while awb is one of the most expensive rb. He's the one expected to make the role his own.

Dominos

Do we think he starts the season, or dalot?
AWB has been getting to play with the first 11 players in pre-season so we have to expect he starts the season as first choice.

Personally I'd rather see us give Dalot another run in the team as we presumably switch to a more possession based game this season where we'll play out from the back a lot more than last year. Bring AWB back in for certain games against dangerous wingers, or if Dalot's form is poor.

Bebestation

We're a team that want to play out from the back and have the fullback invert into midfield during the build up, you need playmaking qualities as a fullback in such set up. It is simply not Awb forth.
We can’t play counter attacking if we don’t have a tackler that wins the ball - this is why AWB & Casemiro play back to guard the defense so they can break down an attack, recycle the possesion to start a counter attack.

On the other side Dalot doesn’t cut any attacks down so has a more progressive on the ball type use on the team.

Brightonian

Dalot showed against Lens why he isn't the first choice even if he theoretically looks more like a Ten Hag RB. Not all that special in possession or going forwards, and unconvincing across the board defensively too. You can ignore the howler for Lens goal, which is probably one of those once a season errors, and still see he never once really had the better of his man.

Wan Bissaka is a massive defensive asset (and particularly important if we're focussing on our transitional play, because he will win the ball back when the opposition aren't expecting it to be turned over). His attacking play has come on leaps and bounds. And importantly he has a much better understanding with Antony going forwards. Dalot and Antony were at sixes and sevens a lot during the Lens game.

Bebestation

I don’t think anyone is saying AWB is our future RB for the next decade -

but at the same time I think it’s mind boggling that people talk about him like he is completely useless either.

He has been a good, regular 7.5/10 player in nearly every game with the occasional better and the occasional worse over 4 seasons now.

He is the worlds best 1v1 defender and having that on the bench is bloody useful IMO - why not bring him on when Mbappe is absolutely destroying the LW?

AWB has had many wingers in his pocket to make the opposition have to change their tactics and usually fail to overcome it.

ShinjiNinja26

He should be our starting RB going into the new season. He’s been looking good in pre season bar that mistake against Dortmund and was pretty solid at the back end of last season as well.

gajender

but at the same time I think it’s mind boggling that people talk about him like he is completely useless either.

He has been a good, regular 7.5/10 player in nearly every game with the occasional better and the occasional worse over 4 seasons now.

He is the worlds best 1v1 defender and having that on the bench is bloody useful IMO - why not bring him on when Mbappe is absolutely destroying the LW?

AWB has had many wingers in his pocket to make the opposition have to change their tactics and usually fail to overcome it.
Sorry mate that's really generous assessment , infact that level of regular performances with occasional deviation either side of it is something most would associate with World Class players I doubt even you would consider Wan Bissaka as world class .

Remember the geese

He's not completely useless, but he isn't good enough to be a starter here. No, he hasn't been a 7.5/10 player in every game for us. In fact, he's been damn right poor at times. He was pretty good as a limited full back during his first year or two under Ole and had a decent showing during the second half of last season. However, even during his bright spells, he still isn't good enough or consistent enough in terms of his passing, technique, creativity and attacking threat. He is useful for locking down a top class winger, but what about the other 75-90% of games? We must aspire for better and unfortunately it isn't something that is going to be addressed this window, but it must happen next summer.