Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're shit club mate. One season of Pep and people think we're worthless and have developed an inferiority complex. Madness.
Shame we can't transfer some of our fans to them.
Or at least make them realise the difference in size of the clubs. Maybe take a tour of the south of England and see how many city shirts you spot

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Can you point me in the direction of were he apparently said "I would ike to play for pep".
The more we keep throwing this made up belief around the more it becomes truth!
Perhaps he wants to play for one of the most famous clubs in the world,with a fantastic history and be part of a new team that is being built by one of the best managers in the world.
I'm also waiting for this. Some peptard said it and see somehow it is taken as fact.

Rockets Redglare

I did mean future trophies.

And there is no guarantee.. at all.. But if I absolutely had to put all my money on a club, I'd back city to win the league again before United. I'd love to be wrong, but if a player had to pick a team where he thinks he would have a better chance of winning things, City would be ahead of United for most people.
Chelsea walked the league last year and are nowhere near this season. Yes City have dominated the league but that doesn’t mean anything come September.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Is this really happening? Haven't posted in years but such is the incredulousness of the Sanchez saga it has made me log back in.

In terms of how he would fit in, would we try something like:

Martial Lukaku
Sanchez

Shaw Matic Pogba Valencia

Jones Bailly Lindelof

Would allow our best players, Pogba, Martial and the incoming Sanchez to play in their best roles.
I quite like that although I was thinking of a possible diamond next season.

Martial Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba New CM
Matic
Shaw Bailly Lindelof Valencia
DDG

I get the feeling we will buy a full back in the summer to challenge Valencia or Shaw and look to bring in a big name CM.

EDIT: Also not beyond the realms of possibility that Mourinho looks to improve on Martial next to Lukaku either.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
While United are out of the running for the PL, would anyone put it past Mourinho to win the FA Cup and / or CL? The latter, in particular, is difficult but far stranger things have happened. It’s funny how the media narrative paints United out as some sort of barren wasteland when it comes to winning trophies.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I know stats ain’t all, but this post by damo says you’re wrong.
How so? You know those are full career stats and not Arsenal stats? He's barely if ever played on the right for Arsenal. For Barce I'm sure he had great stats on the right because Messi, Xavi and Fabregas were giving him service and he was passing to them so his assist stats would rise. But that isn't his best position.

He plays on the left or middle at Arsenal because he's better there. Think about it logically, if Alexis is right footed, why would you want that lethal right foot further away from goal?

I can't see Mourinho shoehorning his best forward in Alexis into a position where he isn't as good because 'right side is your worse position'.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
How so? You know those are full career stats and not Arsenal stats? He's barely if ever played on the right for Arsenal. For Barce I'm sure he had great stats on the right because Messi, Xavi and Fabregas were giving him service and he was passing to them so his assist stats would rise. But that isn't his best position.

He plays on the left or middle at Arsenal because he's better there. Think about it logically, if Alexis is right footed, why would you want that lethal right foot further away from goal?

I can't see Mourinho shoehorning his best forward in Alexis into a position where he isn't as good because 'right side is your worse position'.
The ideal would be a fluid system where the players interchange all across a front three.

I can see him occupying all three positions here.

Nucks

RT History Department
Sanchez in january and Ozil in the summer. Yes please, thank you Arsenal!

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
You'd think city had won the league for three seasons running the way some of our 'fans' go on about them.

There also seems to be this perception that they've won every game 5-0 with beautiful football. As excellent as they've been they've also had to win about 6 games in the last few minutes by digging out a goal in a game they didn't always set alight. This is why they will win the league of course but it's hardly peak era Barcelona either.

cloyton

Still don't want to get sucked in.

However, imagine how we could line up!

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw
Matic
Pogba Lingard
Sanchez Lukaku Martial

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Sometimes it sounds cliche, but sometimes players are looking for projects, some dreams and visions apart from money/trophies.

Maybe sanchez wants to be part of something that jose envision him doing.

Sometimes... We do get pogba to join us on our lowest point didnt we? And fletcher, john oshea left us when we're a trophy magnet, for something else with a different team.

Dante

Average bang
Sanchez could join city and be another cog in a machine that nobody cares about. Or he could join United and be the jewel in the crown of one of the world's great clubs. If I were him, I'd enjoy the challenge of trying to become a legend at Old Trafford.

Telling your grandkids that you dragged a club of our histroy out of the doldrums would be far better than telling them you won a trophy or two at an oil backed club.

At least in my opinion.

Right now, I work for an organisation I'm proud to be a part of, even though I could earn higher rewards elsewhere. It depends on what's important to him. He's 'won' things at Barcelona. But did he really do anything there? He could actually say he was pivotal here.

Last edited:

Bratt

According to transfermarkt this is his stats for arsenal:
LW - 78-35-20
RW - 25-10-8

Just as good on the right as on the left according to these stats, but as I said, stats ain’t all, and I get your point.
It’s just that if we’re after him to use him on the left, I really don’t want him.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Sometimes it sounds cliche, but sometimes players are looking for projects, some dreams and visions apart from money/trophies.

Maybe sanchez wants to be part of something that jose envision him doing.

Sometimes... We do get pogba to join us on our lowest point didnt we? And fletcher, john oshea left us when we're a trophy magnet, for something else with a different team.
Eh, somehow I doubt the manager was trying to stop them.

beedoubleyou

Why do clowns keep saying this?!
Have some pride for the team you supposedly support man!
Exactly. He would be moving to the best supported club in the world, the most successful in England and with the most decorated manager in the league. On a more tangible level, he would be taking a key role in a team who are in the latter stages of the Champions League and well positioned to be in the competition again next season. Yes, the league is gone this season and there is a hollow opportunity to collect a ceremonial medal over at Eastlands, and yes, City are a much more complete team too. The thing is, if the puzzle is complete, where is a new piece going to fit in? At 29, does he have time to wait around to find out?

Claiming this is just about money is idiotic. If our fans can't see this, maybe they are not really fans at all?

midnightmare

And he wins a premier league at the very least... and has a better chance of winning more trophies.
Yeah, I wonder why any player in the world joins us. Going back, wonder why Ronaldo joined Madrid, why Cantona joined United, why Rooney joined us etc. etc. It’s almost, almost as if players may also desire a really prestigious club, see the plan and want to make their names as the players that played a major role in bringing glory to such a club - oh, and yes, while earning good money while at it - and being one of the idols for the best-supported and loved club in the fecking world.

It’s bizarre really that some of our fans can overlook this. As for the “better chance of winning more trophies”, BS! City are on an unprecedented high but this won’t last forever. Even Pep’s Barca team didn’t win consecutive CLs and the Real team that has won 2 CLs (albeit just 1 La Liga) is in dire straits right now domestically and facing PSG in the CL.

If United land Sanchez and add 2-3 shrewd signings to this one, I’d argue we’d be well on our way to unseating City. The defeatism and pessimism as well as the Pep-fellating in here is nauseating at times.

Rednotdead

Exactly. He would be moving to the best supported club in the world, the most successful in England and with the most decorated manager in the league. On a more tangible level, he would be taking a key role in a team who are in the latter stages of the Champions League and well positioned to be in the competition again next season. Yes, the league is gone this season and there is a hollow opportunity to collect a ceremonial medal over at Eastlands, and yes, City are a much more complete team too. The thing is, if the puzzle is complete, where is a new piece going to fit in? At 29, does he have time to wait around to find out?

Claiming this is just about money is idiotic. If our fans can't see this, maybe they are not really fans at all?
Don't start this nonsense.

Dante

Average bang
If he joined us, he'd never need to buy a drink in any bar in the world. He'd be swimming in champagne for the rest of his life and be a hero to millions.

If he joined City, he might get a free can of Carling in the arse end of Droylsden.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
According to transfermarkt this is his stats for arsenal:
LW - 78-35-20
RW - 25-10-8

Just as good on the right as on the left according to these stats, but as I said, stats ain’t all, and I get your point.
It’s just that if we’re after him to use him on the left, I really don’t want him.
The good news is, he's never actually played on the right for arsenal. So he can not actually play on the right for you just fine :D

He did play on the right at the beginning for udinese, without success, then played there for barcelona and their fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Though he also played there for Chile, and was good for them at least

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Wow, this thread has really gone to hell since Rio made an entirely reasonable comment on the telly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yeah, I wonder why any player in the world joins us. Going back, wonder why Ronaldo joined Madrid, why Cantona joined United, why Rooney joined us etc. etc. It’s almost, almost as if players may also desire a really prestigious club, see the plan and want to make their names as the players that played a major role in bringing glory to such a club - oh, and yes, while earning good money while at it - and being one of the idols for the best-supported and loved club in the fecking world.

It’s bizarre really that some of our fans can overlook this. As for the “better chance of winning more trophies”, BS! City are on an unprecedented high but this won’t last forever. Even Pep’s Barca team didn’t win consecutive CLs and the Real team that has won 2 CLs (albeit just 1 La Liga) is in dire straits right now domestically and facing PSG in the CL.

If United land Sanchez and add 2-3 shrewd signings to this one, I’d argue we’d be well on our way to unseating City. The defeatism and pessimism as well as the Pep-fellating in here is nauseating at times.
It really is. This place may as well be called Pep cafe at times. So many on here bowed down in adoration of their god Guardiola. :rolleyes:

Ban

If he'd join us his career would be destroyed. He would come just for the money while our neighbors would win trophy after trophy. United as a club is past it and on a down spiral..

That's how some think it seems. We're amazed how Rio is saying something while we have fans who are saying similar things and worse.

I get it when Barca, Bayern and City fans get here and defend and salivate over Pep (best part is Bayern fans do it more than City ones) but when so many United fans do it. It's just strange.

Dante

Average bang
The good news is, he's never actually played on the right for arsenal. So he can not actually play on the right for you just fine :D

He did play on the right at the beginning for udinese, without success, then played there for barcelona and their fans couldn't wait to see the back of him. Though he also played there for Chile, and was good for them at least
Under Mourinho, our most regular right winger has been Mata.

I don't think Sanchez would be in the side to provide width if we played him there. It would only be a starting position for him to press from.

He'll have role to get into the box and support Lukaku. Given our current formation, he can do that from the right just as easily as from the left.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
No one's won the league back to back in ten years and people have already decided that next year's title is won as well. Madness.

EyeInTheSky

If he'd join us his career would be destroyed. He would come just for the money while our neighbors would win trophy after trophy. United as a club is past it and on a down spiral..

That's how some think it seems. We're amazed how Rio is saying something while we have fans who are saying similar things and worse.

I get it when Barca, Bayern and City fans get here and defend and salivate over Pep (best part is Bayern fans do it more than City ones) but when so many United fans do it. It's just strange.
What do you expect when city and Ped Roidiola have destroyed our infrastructure!?

Judas

Open to offers
The most funny thing about the City winning everything narrative is, they haven't won anything yet under Pep, and in the last couple of years, we've won more.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Playing a right footed player on the right side of the pitch is logical. Inverted wingers may be in vogue but its far easier for players to play on their natural side. Its why we rarely have inverted full backs.

The last two title winning sides in England did not use inverted wingers either. Hazard played to the left of Costa last year, Pedro to the right. Mahrez and Albrighton also played on their natural sides. Not to mention this year's pace setters, Manchester City, use Sterling and Sane on their natural sides as well. It has not affected their ability in front of goal at all. I don't understand what you're saying about the right foot being further away from goal if Alexis plays on his natural side.

Who knows where Alexis will end up? I hope at United. Let's not pretend he can't play on the right though. That's exactly where Pep would play him. Its exactly where he played him before.

wolvored

You may be right but the fact hes 29 and you dont know whats in his and his agents head doesnt make you right. Fergie tried to sign him years ago but he didnt want to come. Not everyone thinks Utd is the place to be, especially foreign S American players who see Barca and Real as the pinnacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.