Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'd say recently (mainly in the last couple of years) you seem to have developed a soft spot for players/personnel that work hard but ultimately lack that top quality. The grafters if you like. Whereas you have less time/patience for flair like players that are technically better but may not work as hard. You seem to be very quick to get onto the back of people like RVP, Nani, Kagawa, Di Maria, LVG yet spend a lot of time defending people like Moyes, Valencia, Fellaini, Rooney.
The only obvious theme is so many of the "flair like players" in recent years being found surplus to requirements, while "grafters" seem to be more valued by successive managers, from Fergie right through to Van Gaal. So the obvious theme is me being eventually proved right!

In terms of my personal preference, I was always clearly on the Berbatov side of the great Berba vs Tevez debate (and I definitely got this one wrong, with the benefit of hindsight) That particular stance couldn't be more different to what you're accusing me of here.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'd say recently (mainly in the last couple of years) you seem to have developed a soft spot for players/personnel that work hard but ultimately lack that top quality. The grafters if you like. Whereas you have less time/patience for flair like players that are technically better but may not work as hard. You seem to be very quick to get onto the back of people like RVP, Nani, Kagawa, Di Maria, LVG yet spend a lot of time defending people like Moyes, Valencia, Fellaini, Rooney.
Ha ha, gotta love that you make it so obvious that your hatred of Fellaini is due to your hatred of Moyes. You'd be despising Herrera now if Moyes had bought him!
You're the worst kind of 'fan' on here. It's always about individuals, never about the team. You'd probably love it if Fellaini got sent off in a game and it cost us.
A proper United fan wouldn't care what personalities are involved as long as United are winning and progressing.

Sam

Ha ha, gotta love that you make it so obvious that your hatred of Fellaini is due to your hatred of Moyes. You'd be despising Herrera now if Moyes had bought him!
You're the worst kind of 'fan' on here. It's always about individuals, never about the team. You'd probably love it if Fellaini got sent off in a game and it cost us.
A proper United fan wouldn't care what personalities are involved as long as United are winning and progressing.
I hate Fellaini because of Moyes? Ah, in the same way I guess I hate Mata because of Moyes? Oh no wait...

Sam

The only obvious theme is so many of the "flair like players" in recent years being found surplus to requirements, while "grafters" seem to be more valued by successive managers, from Fergie right through to Van Gaal. So the obvious theme is me being eventually proved right!

In terms of my personal preference, I was always clearly on the Berbatov side of the great Berba vs Tevez debate (and I definitely got this one wrong, with the benefit of hindsight) That particular stance couldn't be more different to what you're accusing me of here.
I'd suggest that half the reason why we're in this mess is because to many grafters were prefered over flair like players. The lack of quality in the squad pre-LVG, in comparison with the top clubs in Europe was quite apparent.

Pogue Mahone

I'd suggest that half the reason why we're in this mess is because to many grafters were prefered over flair like players. The lack of quality in the squad pre-LVG, in comparison with the top clubs in Europe was quite apparent.
I don't think the issue is too many grafters and not enough flair players so much as signing flair players who weren't good enough. Although, to be fair, really top class flair players are few and far between and extremely expensive.

Kag

Or he could actively dislike perceived popular players in an attempt to look like a controversial big man on an anonymous internet site. I don't think you post when you're not trying to sarcastically demean somebody or a player that somebody seems to admire.

Brophs

The One and Only
Ander Herrera is facing a battle to re-establish himself as a Manchester United regular under Louis van Gaal.

Herrera, a £28.5million signing from Athletic Bilbao last summer, has been an unused sub for United's last four Premier League encounters.

The Spaniard has been a victim of Marouane Fellaini's resurgence and Michael Carrick's return, and is now facing an uncertain future at United.

And Herrera looks set for a further spell on the bench, with Van Gaal ready to stick with Fellaini and Carrick in midfield for Saturday's visit of Hull to Old Trafford.

Herrera was heralded as the midfield creative force United has been crying out for when the 20-times champions landed him at the second attempt back in July.

David Moyes tried to sign him before he was sacked by United, who went back in for the 25-year-old last summer and secured him, with the blessing of Van Gaal.

But the Dutchman would appear to have lost faith in Herrera, preferring the physicality and robust presence of Fellaini in midfield, while Carrick needs a run there after being out for four months.

Herrera has made just five appearances for United this season, only lasting 90 minutes twice, his last coming in a 2-2 draw at West Brom on October 20, when he was replaced at half-time by Fellaini.

Fellaini scored a superb goal to help earn United a draw and has not been out of the team since, the much-maligned £27m Moyes signing finally proving his worth after a tough first season.

Daley Blind's injury while on international duty with Holland could have opened the door to a first-team return for Herrera, but Van Gaal sees no reason to change Fellaini and Carrick.

The duo performed impressively together in United's 2-1 win away to Arsenal last weekend and Van Gaal is said to like the blend between the pair in the centre of midfield.

Against that backdrop, rumours have emerged of United's willingness to listen to offers for Herrera, even though the Basque-born player is just five months into a four-year contract.

Although that scenario is understood to be premature, it is clear Herrera faces a challenge proving his worth to Van Gaal, particularly with Roma's Dutch midfielder Kevin Strootman likely to be on his way to United in January or - more likely - next summer.

Fellaini's impressive renaissance at United has not gone unnoticed by Hull, whose defender Alex Bruce acknowledged the growing influence of the big Belgium international.

"Louis van Gaal has spent a lot of money and brought in some quality players like Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao," said Bruce.

"There are threats all over the pitch and I think Fellaini has done well in the past few weeks. He scored a great goal at West Brom and it was a huge boost in confidence for him.

"He's been playing well and I think he has been one of United's best players in recent weeks. He's a threat as well as a big physical presence. United will always be a tough team to play against."

Bruce is also expecting a tough afternoon from United skipper Wayne Rooney, who scored the winner in the 2-1 win over Arsenal.

"Wayne is always a threat isn't he?" said Bruce. "He's a great player. I watched the Manchester derby and he nearly scored a great goal with a turn when he ran through, only to be knocked off the ball at the end.

"It shows the quality he has and he's always capable of scoring a great goal at any given moment, like he did at the KC Stadium last season when he produced a little bit of magic with a 25-yard volley from nowhere that got them back into the game. It's one thing we have to keep on top of."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ander-herrera-fighting-manchester-united-4706481

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The type of bullshit I expect from the mirror, yet there will be people on here who will lap it up.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Why don't the journalists ask what's going on with Herrera in the press conf instead of spouting bs at every turn?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Guys, considering Fellaini's form lately, what do you think of this:
------------Carrick------------
----Fellaini--------Di Maria---
------------Herrera------------
--Wilson---------Rooney------

I think it's a very balanced team- pace from Di Maria and Wilson, Carrick staying deep, Herrera at the tip of the diamond (covering for Di Maria when he goes forward), Rooney as a striker.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why don't the journalists ask what's going on with Herrera in the press conf instead of spouting bs at every turn?
Because if they did, that would mean the end of their speculative articles, and you know that they want to milk as much from this situation as possible.

Feedingseagulls

Guys, considering Fellaini's form lately, what do you think of this:
------------Carrick------------
----Fellaini--------Di Maria---
------------Herrera------------
--Wilson---------Rooney------

I think it's a very balanced team- pace from Di Maria and Wilson, Carrick staying deep, Herrera at the tip of the diamond (covering for Di Maria when he goes forward), Rooney as a striker.
Question is, when will we have the personnel to play 4 at the back?

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I think it's highly likely we will sign Strootman sometime within the next 2 transfer windows, but doesn't he play in the same position as Herrera? Box to box role? Herrera cost a massive amount of money and I doubt any club would pay £28million to buy him off us either, but then why keep a £28million player on the bench or even buy him in the first place?

Only thing I can think of is LVG including both Herrera and Strootman is going to a 4-3-3 formation but that has it's own problems as well lol, Falcao, RVP, Rooney, only 1 of them would be able to play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think it's highly likely we will sign Strootman sometime within the next 2 transfer windows, but doesn't he play in the same position as Herrera? Box to box role? Herrera cost a massive amount of money and I doubt any club would pay £28million to buy him off us either, but then why keep a £28million player on the bench or even buy him in the first place?

Only thing I can think of is LVG including both Herrera and Strootman is going to a 4-3-3 formation but that has it's own problems as well lol, Falcao, RVP, Rooney, only 1 of them would be able to play.
RvP is more or less done anyways and shouldn't be starting anymore, so it would be Rooney, Falcao and then probably Di Maria for the front 3 with Herrera, Strootman and Blind in midfield. Seems fine to me.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Strootman isn't the greatest box-to-box player around though despite his evenly distributed skillset. Really doubt he'll be in direct competition with Herrera for the role. He's a bit like Matic or a more robust version of of Carrick and has the ability to develop into a very well rounded defensive midfielder given his tenacity, good passing range and spatial intelligence on the pitch. A midfield three of Ander, Strootman and Di Maria would be extremely well rounded going forward with a healthy mix of graft, skill, pressing ability and dynamism. Additionally, one could feasibly expect about 20 goals per season from such a setup which would be nice.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
A cracked rib can take up to 6 weeks to heal. I am not surprised he hasn't featured until now.
That is the answer. I think LVG put him on the bench in terms of an unforseen accident or injury but wouldnt really risk him if not really necessary. Arsenal was surely not the game for him to come back so with the Reserves game under his belt I'm confident that he will get minutes now again

roykeane19

The fabled "physicality of the PL", how slight of frame is oscar, hes probably the smallest player in the league, the physicality doesnt seem to affect him, or silva, even mata

This physicality stuff, people seem to go a bit overboard with it

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The fabled "physicality of the PL", how slight of frame is oscar, hes probably the smallest player in the league, the physicality doesnt seem to affect him, or silva, even mata

This physicality stuff, people seem to go a bit overboard with it
He's a gritty bugger. He can take the challenges no problem. As long as we keep him away from refs with sharp elbows.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You should tweet David McDonnell, the author of the piece @Brophs pasted, and ask him if he's going to follow up on what he wrote with questions to LVG on Herrera in today's press conference.

Raulduke

Herrera was mentioned on the RedMancunian podcast today and one of the contributors suggested there had been rumors that he had been "enjoying the Manchester nightlife" and possibly turning up late for injury rehab sessions. Sounds like 2+2=5 type conjecture to me and the reality is more likely a combination of his recovery taking a bit longer than expected and Fellaini's form.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Old news. He did nothing wrong IMO, and will be cleared.

Pogue Mahone

Herrera was mentioned on the RedMancunian podcast today and one of the contributors suggested there had been rumors that he had been "enjoying the Manchester nightlife" and possibly turning up late for injury rehab sessions. Sounds like 2+2=5 type conjecture to me and the reality is more likely a combination of his recovery taking a bit longer than expected and Fellaini's form.
Sounds like utter BS is what it sounds like. Doesn't seem the type at all.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Honestly, it seems the papers just read the caf and post the opinions of the most fretful. He broke his ribs, he came back too soon and he's being eased back into it, Van Gaal has a very strict regime.

Obviously Van Gaal's not telling the truth because the Daily Express knows more about his players than he does. Herrera's definitely leaving.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That's good to hear. Puts all these unsubstantial assertions of Van Gaal not rating Herrera to bed. Hopefully he starts vs Hull or atleast turns out for a good 30 or 45 minutes in the second half. A fully fit Ander is needed now more than ever with the injury to Blind.

saivet

Obviously Van Gaal's not telling the truth because the Daily Express knows more about his players than he does. Herrera's definitely leaving.
LvG didn't say that, was said by Herrera on his interview on MUTV I'm reading.

More quotes. Anyone able to verify? Do these come from the manager's in house pre-game interview with MUTV?

DomesticTadpole

So what was he doing on the bench if he couldn't play?
Maybe Ander needed that reserve game to prove to himself that he could play without pain and take tackles etc. It was probably a big confidence boost for him. He may never have had that sort of injury before and there must be some fear there that you will injure yourself again. That game against Blackburn and the behind closed door game against Blackpool will have done wonders for him.

DomesticTadpole

More quotes. Anyone able to verify? Do these come from the manager's in house pre-game interview with MUTV?
Ander will need to take his chance when he gets it. We still have a big squad and they have to learn that they don't always play, but he will get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.