Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
The only player that can come out of this game with any credit. Five goals this season, it's a joke that he's been left out the team as many times as he has.

The-Natural

He's everything Cleverley was supposed to be but wasn't. The fact that his ability was so apparent from day one and the fact that his qualities were exactly what this team needed yet the philosopher somehow had other ideas just makes me angry. Can't stand Van Gaal he must go.

NoPace

He's everything Cleverley was supposed to be but wasn't. The fact that his ability was so apparent from day one and the fact that his qualities were exactly what this team needed yet the philosopher somehow had other ideas just makes me angry. Can't stand Van Gaal he must go.
It is troubling from a talent evaluation standpoint, for sure. The club wanted Herrera the summer before, Di Maria was a star and possibly just Woodward and with Shaw playing for a mid-table Prem side it seems more likely than not that only Blind (almost definitely) and then perhaps Rojo and Falcao were LVG's signings.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It is troubling from a talent evaluation standpoint, for sure. The club wanted Herrera the summer before, Di Maria was a star and possibly just Woodward and with Shaw playing for a mid-table Prem side it seems more likely than not that only Blind (almost definitely) and then perhaps Rojo and Falcao were LVG's signings.
Well if Falcao was his signing, he isn't a good judge. He has enough players to get Top 4, if he doesn't it's because he is trying to cram too much in the players head. Footballers like simple systems, he is bloody stat mad. Keep it simple.

newgiz

We could do with another decent midfielder so that Herrera could play at the tip. I would swap Fellaini and Ander for now.
When Carrick is back fit, that's what I am hoping to see.Blind and Carrick next to each other and Herrera as the 10.

El-Manos

I'm happy we got him, he's an excellent player to be fair. Exactly the type of midfielder we have been craving for, for many years now. He just needs the right balance around him and he will flourish.

AttackingFlair

I'm happy we got him, he's an excellent player to be fair. Exactly the type of midfielder we have been craving for, for many years now. He just needs the right balance around him and he will flourish.
Wouldn't mind seeing Blind/Carrick as DM, Herrera as CM and Rooney as a 10 in a 4231 with Di Maria and Young? on the wings.

Kag

I like how noticeably vocal he is. Not afraid to tell players what to do and where to be. The more of that the better.

paulscholes18

An on form ADM would certainly be a huge plus. The problem is with Blind though, he's very limited
Daley blind is the kind of player you want in a holding midfielder, reads the game well, good tackling and keeps it simple perfect in a 4-3-3
Ander and Blind are two parts of a midfield 3, we just need the final piece to move to 4-3-3.
4-3-3
you have Blind holding, keeping it simple and the team ticking along
Herrera, box to box
Di Maria, the one to "attack the space" and drive the team forward

Devil may care

An on form ADM would certainly be a huge plus. The problem is with Blind though, he's very limited
I think his best qualities are perfect for a #6 role though, it's just we isolate him way too much with the diamond formation.

4-3-3
you have Blind holding, keeping it simple and the team ticking along
Herrera, box to box
Di Maria, the one to "attack the space" and drive the team forward
Personally I think that is too weak for the PL. Ideally for me Ander is the AM in a 3 man midfield, he'll do plenty of work and has the superior discipline to Di Maria, but you wont want him to restrcited. That is where a box to box like Schneiderlin or Allan or Naingolaan comes into to complete the midfield.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yet Ander just started 2 games, we conceded 3 and dropped 5 points.

You've definitely proven your point, he's made all the difference. Damn Van Gaal and his philosophy

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read

You've definitely proven your point, he's made all the difference. Damn Van Gaal and his philosophy
You're not seriously putting that down to Herrera, are you?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You're not seriously putting that down to Herrera, are you?
Im just saying I don't expect that outcome with a more pragmatic approach we were playing before.

Although you have to ask why Herrera wasn't on Shelvy for the cross to Ki. When he moves into that channel he's his responsibility.

izec

how did we drop 5 points when he started his first game this year in the PL?

Im just saying I don't expect that outcome with a more pragmatic approach we were playing before.

Although you have to ask why Herrera wasn't on Shelvy for the cross to Ki. When he moves into that channel he's his responsibility.
Well he attacked Taylor, nobody covered Shelvey after that. Van Persie arrived too late. It was basically 3 against 2.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
1. how did we drop 5 points when he started his first game this year in the PL?

2. Well he attacked Taylor, nobody covered Shelvey after that. Van Persie arrived too late. It was basically 3 against 2.
1. Eh?

2. Shelvy is his responsibility there 100%. He ran to the thrower instead of the man that was free in a very dangerous area and gave Shelvy plenty of time to whip a dangerous cross in. He can take a lot of blame for that. If he had closed down Shelvy they would have had to do a lot still to work an opportunity. As it was he gave him a free cross and they scored from it.

izec

1. Eh?

2. Shelvy is his responsibility there 100%. He ran to the thrower instead of the man that was free in a very dangerous area and gave Shelvy plenty of time to whip a dangerous cross in. He can take a lot of blame for that. If he had closed down Shelvy they would have had to do a lot still to work an opportunity. As it was he gave him a free cross and they scored from it.
1. i dont understand what you mean with 5 points in 2 starts? It is his first start since December i think in the league. The other games he started were FA cup games.

2. He went to the thrower after the ball was back to him. He was initially with Shelvey, then Taylor received the ball back after the throw in and he ran to him to close him down. He would be free to cross it too. He is mostly to blame for that leaving Shelvey that open, however our organisation from set pieces in general is pathetic and it could have been prevented if other players helped out and showed some awareness insetad of standing somewhere in no mans land.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Has he got a chant yet?

I propose something with the tune from Abracadabra.

Ander, Ander Herrera...

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I am with Pexbo with this one and mentioned it a few posts above, and so that I don't come across as saying this suddenly on the back of this Swansea game, I also said the exact same thing about his defensive qualities in the Mata thread a few days ago.

Going forward he does look comfortable, and with the ball at the feet, he does look composed, but when defending, he doesn't seem to mark, or follow a runner, and it keeps giving teams space to play with. He is also rash with his challenges.

I think he is a better #10 than he is a CM. In the summer, that was banded about a lot, especially with the Spanish based English reporters, but I think we was so happy to see a midfielder come in, we ignored their opinions on that part of his game.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I am with Pexbo with this one and mentioned it a few posts above, and so that I don't come across as saying this suddenly on the back of this Swansea game, I also said the exact same thing about his defensive qualities in the Mata thread a few days ago.

Going forward he does look comfortable, and with the ball at the feet, he does look composed, but when defending, he doesn't seem to mark, or follow a runner, and it keeps giving teams space to play with. He is also rash with his challenges.

I think he is a better #10 than he is a CM. In the summer, that was banded about a lot, especially with the Spanish based English reporters, but I think we was so happy to see a midfielder come in, we ignored their opinions on that part of his game.
I think the fact he covers a lot of ground and will fly into a tackle means people think he is better at defending then he really is too.

Count Orduck

He's not good enough. He does some flashy things but defensively he's a nightmare.

I don't think any of our Spaniards will still be at the club come September 2016.

Count Orduck

Explain how he's a nightmare defensively.
He vanishes in midfield? He didn't close down Shelvey, he has little to no positional awareness, he chases the ball like a dog in the park rather than marking his man. He's fun to watch in attack, but he's criminally bad at controlling the midfield. He'd probably be fine as the advanced member of a midfield three with two people who understand defending behind him, but we're not playing that system and he's not good enough to force us to change our whole tactical setup to accomodate him.

ZDwyr

I'll agree with those who are saying he looks more like a #10 than an #8. I'd probably prefer him and Fellaini swap positions to be honest.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'll agree with those who are saying he looks more like a #10 than an #8. I'd probably prefer him and Fellaini swap positions to be honest.
Makes too much sense to play players in their correct positions.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's scored 5 and assisted 4 in 18 appearances, and people are worrying about his defensive contribution.

With numbers like that Van Gaal should be looking to play him in a role where his defensive work is minimised anyway.

DomesticTadpole

He's scored 5 and assisted 4 in 18 appearances, and people are worrying about his defensive contribution.

With numbers like that Van Gaal should be looking to play him in a role where his defensive work is minimised anyway.
Good job he took his defensive responsibilities early on or we would have been 1-0 down straight away. Pity the defence don't do their job properly.

DomesticTadpole

Some people think he's better as CM, some as AM, so what is his correct position exactly?
He's played both I presume at Bilbao, LvG thinks he's a No. 10. He has said he has been a No. 8. If he keep scoring goals we could put him at No. 9. Couldn't be worse than what's been there.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Some people think he's better as CM, some as AM, so what is his correct position exactly?
At Bilbao he played as an attacking midfielder, the most advanced one. In the Spanish system, it’s an hybrid between 10 and 8… He was really the creator of the game, and didn’t control the tempo. I watched a lot of Bilbao last year, and when he was playing there, he was quick and aggressive when they lost the ball. I think that it’s maybe his best skill. He was so good at that. Bilbao played really good football last year and he was the first, always, to do the pressing and an effective one.

I would think that he’s more Iniesta than Xavi in his style. But nevertheless, he’s our best midfielder.

Mali_Zeus

At Bilbao he played as an attacking midfielder, the most advanced one. In the Spanish system, it’s an hybrid between 10 and 8… He was really the creator of the game, and didn’t control the tempo. I watched a lot of Bilbao last year, and when he was playing there, he was quick and aggressive when they lost the ball. I think that it’s maybe his best skill. He was so good at that. Bilbao played really good football last year and he was the first, always, to do the pressing and an effective one.

I would think that he’s more Iniesta than Xavi in his style. But nevertheless, he’s our best midfielder.
I agree with all that, but if he's better in more forward position we need a new CM as I said. Esp given his defensive work. I wouldnt say he's a disaster defensively but he tends to go forward so we need another player with blind to watch his back.

RikRuud

I think in some time and some starts he may be as important to us as Silva is for City. Not saying he's a similar style of player but the contribution he's making to our under performing team is excellent. I'd be tempted to build to team around him next year. He should be starting every game at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.