6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Ah, think the same about that, even Mou choses to play Ramires in tougher matches and he's got Matic. Blind/Carrick should be the duo in those matches with attacking players in the attacking positions.

Blind is not a problem against teams who park the bus against us though. I wouldn’t like to leave him on his own against better midfielders though.

ZDwyr

Good game from Herrera. He has been good since he came in. Well done to him. Hopefully he keeps the midfield spot, is certainly better than Rooney there.

RedFish

Some of you are wishing for a certain DM, but how many do have the distribution skills of Blind? When teams park the bus against us, Wanyame for example has no use. You need a player who can distribute the ball to the forwards, raise the tempo with forward passes and makes himself available for the midfielders to increase the amount of options. Look at Barcelona with Busquets, or Bayern with Alonso/Schweini. But which DM's are you lot thinking of, and dont come up with Carvalho or something.
I agree, that it isn't easy to find the right solution, just because Blind's distribution and calmness in possession is so good. The only thing lacking is that the 'powerhouse' aspect.......That's not being picky, but just reflecting the demands of certain games. Like I said before, it's not necessarily a matter of replacing him in a midfield 2 but perhaps complementing Herrera and Blind in a trio where needed. I really thought Strootman was perfect for this role but that would be a no go now with his ongoing knee problems. Pogba would be perfect, Lars Bender (Leverkusen), Schneiderlin are others that come to mind......

NoPace

I think this will be addressed in the summer rather waiting on Blind's progress. I hope so!:)
We need at least one wide attacker, a CB and a RB more right now and more importantly, Carrick is apparently on the verge of signing a 12 month extension.

No real sense in us doing that with Carrick unless we're holding off for a year and considering Blind's rapid climb and relative age as a DM (It's a late-peaking position, he has really only had 1.5 full time seasons there and the fans at Ajax thought he was shite until 2 seasons ago when he jumped up a level or three). I think the case for waiting a year is stronger unless Javi Martinez or Mascherano wants to come here or we're pretty sure we've found the next one.

RedFish

We need at least one wide attacker, a CB and a RB more right now and more importantly, Carrick is apparently on the verge of signing a 12 month extension.

No real sense in us doing that with Carrick unless we're holding off for a year and considering Blind's rapid climb and relative age as a DM (It's a late-peaking position, he has really only had 1.5 full time seasons there and the fans at Ajax thought he was shite until 2 seasons ago when he jumped up a level or three). I think the case for waiting a year is stronger unless Javi Martinez or Mascherano wants to come here or we're pretty sure we've found the next one.
I suppose timing is debatable. I can see your reasoning though, and agree CB is THE priority. Personally, I'd reinforce central midfield now. Carrick is a fabulous football player but 1 year contract extension or not, if we get the chance to establish a long term midfielder partner for Herrera/Blind then we should seize the chance. He is not going to be around too much longer. Rooney or Fellaini in midfield (starting) for the odd game is acceptable, but if they were to play there next season more often than that, then I will say that would be a result of bad planning. (ref: physicality in midfield)

ChrisG11

He did well today and have a typically tidy performance which I'm happy about. I think that pretty much sums Blind and Herrera up though currently, tidy. It's still a level below that of our rivals and as has been mentioned, it's not a midfield you'd play against elite sides. It's an improvement on what we've been used to in recent years though so I'm happy enough.

m1y2

He did well today and have a typically tidy performance which I'm happy about. I think that pretty much sums Blind and Herrera up though currently, tidy. It's still a level below that of our rivals and as has been mentioned, it's not a midfield you'd play against elite sides. It's an improvement on what we've been used to in recent years though so I'm happy enough.
Blind's improvement, Herrera's class. I guess he would thrive in high-line counter-attacking team. He adapted well to our possession game unlike dimaria but he can certainly play more adventurous football than with this tidy approach which is set by the tactics. Best buy of the summer and best player in the team. I guess best player of MUFC would walk into any side in the world.

Anyway long way to go and surely space for improvement for Ander. I think Liverpool game will be a big test for him.

ChrisG11

Blind's improvement, Herrera's class. I guess he would thrive in high-line counter-attacking team. He adapted well to our possession game unlike dimaria but he can certainly play more adventurous football than with this tidy approach which is set by the tactics. Best buy of the summer and best player in the team. I guess best player of MUFC would walk into any side in the world.

Anyway long way to go and surely space for improvement for Ander. I think Liverpool game will be a big test for him.
Well it certainly suits him more than Di Maria I agree and he's much more adaptable in terms of style of play. Best player in the side? Could walk into any side of the world? If that's what you meant regarding Herrera then let's not get ahead of ourselves, apologies if I've misunderstood.

thejtrain

Too easy.
I was sure this would be brought up. Well he does that often, but it's pretty effective, so I can't blame. How many midfielders have got that sort of awareness? There aren't too many.

To me, it looked like he was adapting his game to meet Lvg's expectations. I believe he should be his usual creative self; that's his greatest strength IMO. He still had a very good game, though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Herrera would probably walk into any side in the premier league though, bar Chelsea as they have Fabregas. He's definitely good enough for a top team, though you wouldn't play a midfield duo of him and Blind against a top team I'd agree. Anyways, there's not many midfield duo's capable of playing against top teams now though. Against big teams, teams generally go for 3 man midfields.

ChrisG11

Herrera would probably walk into any side in the premier league though, bar Chelsea as they have Fabregas. He's definitely good enough for a top team, though you wouldn't play a midfield duo of him and Blind against a top team I'd agree. Anyways, there's not many midfield duo's capable of playing against top teams now though. Against big teams, teams generally go for 3 man midfields.
Cmon mate, Chelsea, Arsenal and City have starting 11s that Herrera would not make. He's a good player though and he can definitely be an asset to us, which is all I really care about right now.

beergod

Some of you are wishing for a certain DM, but how many do have the distribution skills of Blind? When teams park the bus against us, Wanyame for example has no use. You need a player who can distribute the ball to the forwards, raise the tempo with forward passes and makes himself available for the midfielders to increase the amount of options. Look at Barcelona with Busquets, or Bayern with Alonso/Schweini. But which DM's are you lot thinking of, and dont come up with Carvalho or something.
IMO the third player needs to be someone like Schneiderlin or Nainggolan who can defend from higher up on the pitch so that Blind doesn't have to cover acres of space. Blind could play as a #8, but I think it would be a waste considering how good he is at building the play from a deeper position.

ChrisG11

IMO the third player needs to be someone like Schneiderlin or Nainggolan who can defend from higher up on the pitch so that Blind doesn't have to cover acres of space. Blind could play as a #8, but I think it would be a waste considering how good he is at building the play from a deeper position.
Verratti. One can dream.

bosnian_red

Cmon mate, Chelsea, Arsenal and City have starting 11s that Herrera would not make. He's a good player though and he can definitely be an asset to us, which is all I really care about right now.
He'd definitely get into City's side. Unless you consider one of Fernando, Fernandinho or Milner a better player? Because that's who they have in center midfield... He'd be in and out of Chelsea's team probably, wouldn't be a starter though I think Mourinho would really like him because of his work rate and pressing. As for Arsenal, well it depends on how they line up. Cazorla isn't really a center mid yet plays there often, and Herrera is a better player then Wilshere and IMO at the same level as Ramsey. He wouldn't start for every team in the world but he'd definitely be a great choice as a squad player at the very least for any team IMO.

ChrisG11

He'd definitely get into City's side. Unless you consider one of Fernando, Fernandinho or Milner a better player? Because that's who they have in center midfield... He'd be in and out of Chelsea's team probably, wouldn't be a starter though I think Mourinho would really like him because of his work rate and pressing. As for Arsenal, well it depends on how they line up. Cazorla isn't really a center mid yet plays there often, and Herrera is a better player then Wilshere and IMO at the same level as Ramsey. He wouldn't start for every team in the world but he'd definitely be a great choice as a squad player at the very least for any team IMO.
Yaya, Lampard, Fabregas, Ramires, Ramsey, Cazorla. Those are the players that would mean Herrera wouldn't be particularly needed in these sides, for one reason or another. He's on the same level as some of them don't get me wrong, but in terms of ability he's not good enough to force them out of the side based on what we've seen so far. He's got the potential to change that though once we improve the players he's playing with and allow him to flourish.

bosnian_red

Yaya, Lampard, Fabregas, Ramires, Ramsey, Cazorla. Those are the players that would mean Herrera wouldn't be particularly needed in these sides, for one reason or another. He's on the same level as some of them don't get me wrong, but in terms of ability he's not good enough to force them out of the side based on what we've seen so far. He's got the potential to change that though once we improve the players he's playing with and allow him to flourish.
Lampard? He's 36 years old, capable of popping up with a goal here and there but he's far from good enough to start consistently these days. Ramires is awful. Toure is obviously a class above, and Fabregas as well. Cazorla is more of an attacking midfielder anyways but I don't think there's anything between Herrera and Ramsey. Anyways, it's all opinions, but I genuinely think there's only a few midfielders in the league who are better then him at their best, that being Fabregas, Matic and Yaya Toure. Cazorla as well if you count him as one.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
In the last few games he was been quality, exactly what you want from a Central Midfielder. However some big games coming up and that's where we will find out whether he's worth the money we paid for him.

ChrisG11

Lampard? He's 36 years old, capable of popping up with a goal here and there but he's far from good enough to start consistently these days. Ramires is awful. Toure is obviously a class above, and Fabregas as well. Cazorla is more of an attacking midfielder anyways but I don't think there's anything between Herrera and Ramsey. Anyways, it's all opinions, but I genuinely think there's only a few midfielders in the league who are better then him at their best, that being Fabregas, Matic and Yaya Toure. Cazorla as well if you count him as one.
Yaya and Fabregas keep him out of the side. With Yaya a permenant fixture, they only really need a Lampard that can keep the ball and score from deep every now and again, he doesn't need to play consistently (bar ACON). Chelsea would always play Fabregas deep unless it's a big fixture, which we've already established that Herrera isn't suited for in a midfield two which is where Ramires comes in. With Ramsey and Cazorla, is there anything Herrera can offer that they can't would you say?

In summary, I do think he's a good player that can do a job in most sides. He is a level below the elite midfielders that play for the best sides in similar roles; Yaya and Fabregas in terms of the PL.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Well, for one, Ramires is shite.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd always start him. He's one of those players that the team plays better with.

Tarrou

Missed the game today but from reading the comments he did well again. I'm just so glad he's back in favour because for me we always look better with him in the side.

NoPace

I suppose timing is debatable. I can see your reasoning though, and agree CB is THE priority. Personally, I'd reinforce central midfield now. Carrick is a fabulous football player but 1 year contract extension or not, if we get the chance to establish a long term midfielder partner for Herrera/Blind then we should seize the chance. He is not going to be around too much longer. Rooney or Fellaini in midfield (starting) for the odd game is acceptable, but if they were to play there next season more often than that, then I will say that would be a result of bad planning. (ref: physicality in midfield)
I somewhat agree. If we're not buying a completely static DM I'd be fine with just selling Fellaini, as his value will be as high as it's ever going to be, then making that guy Herrera's backup and Blind's backup.

Hell, even if we did buy a proper DM, we could still sell Fellaini and make Blind the backup for Herrera for a season as the #8. Might even get Pereira on the field a few games when we're just looking for someone to move around and pass or play a 4-1-4-1 type thing.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He is such a good player.. scares the shit out of me that LVG froze him if that is indeed the case. He is technically and in terms of intelligence on the ball better than anyone else in the squad bar Blind.. anyone can see that.

I always said thought someone like Herrera would excel under Mourinho and was glad we got this guy over Fabregas. The latter is more proven but Herrera has much better energy, mobility and will go on to be the better signing in my opinion.

He needs to be supported by a top DM and a Barkley type attacking mid. Verratti Herrera and Pogba would be a nice mix.. something along those lines.

m1y2

Well it certainly suits him more than Di Maria I agree and he's much more adaptable in terms of style of play. Best player in the side? Could walk into any side of the world? If that's what you meant regarding Herrera then let's not get ahead of ourselves, apologies if I've misunderstood.
So who is the best player in our team? I found the best players the ones who raise the whole game of the team. I can't see any player doing it, maybe apart Smalling and Herrera the midfielder can affect the game more generally..

Obviously it can sound really premature the conclusions I made but we still don't realize how good player we have. He's gem. He's no Ronaldo but what he does he does brilliantly and as I said he would excel in other team's more direct tactics. He's brilliant for Bilbao in 4-3-3 quick counter attacking football and hopefully we will soon quicken our play so he can show his massive potential. The same goes with diMaria who would be utilized certainly better than keeping the ball.

And when you look at diMaria who was arguably one of the best players in the world, Herrera has him in his pocket now. I always thought the best footballers are the ones who can adapt their game. Nevertheless we will see as the time goes. But I guess he's the most important player in our team now and on

ChrisG11

So who is the best player in our team? I found the best players the ones who raise the whole game of the team. I can't see any player doing it, maybe apart Smalling and Herrera the midfielder can affect the game more generally..

Obviously it can sound really premature the conclusions I made but we still don't realize how good player we have. He's gem. He's no Ronaldo but what he does he does brilliantly and as I said he would excel in other team's more direct tactics. He's brilliant for Bilbao in 4-3-3 quick counter attacking football and hopefully we will soon quicken our play so he can show his massive potential. The same goes with diMaria who would be utilized certainly better than keeping the ball.

And when you look at diMaria who was arguably one of the best players in the world, Herrera has him in his pocket now. I always thought the best footballers are the ones who can adapt their game. Nevertheless we will see as the time goes. But I guess he's the most important player in our team now and on
In terms of ability there's quite a few. In terms of importance to the team currently, De Gea, Smalling and Rooney are at least 3 players I'd have over him. Some people may raise an eyebrow at Rooney considering his recent performances, but I really think we underestimate his influence. He's a player that makes things happen and he's effective, as good as Herrera is, I think he's a player that is complimented by these sort of players rather than one himself.

I like him as a player, and I think it's clear he's our best in terms of intelligent play, decision making and keeping the ball. He's much better than Di Maria in all those aspects but I'm not sure you can conclude that he's a better player overall, even if he's been better so far. I think in terms of personnel, style of play and position, we aren't playing to Di Maria's strengths so it doesn't surprise me a lot that he's performing below par.

I'm looking forward to see what he can do next season in a better, well rounded, more balanced side (touch wood). I just don't like the way we get ahead of ourselves with Herrera though and overrate his ability due to what he's shown. He's a level below being an elite midfielder currently, and I don't mind that, but I'd rather just be happy with what we've got rather than pretending we have someone that we don't.

ScarleyUtd

A subtle but good display from him – again. Very consistent and always seems to be in the right place. Had a tenner on him to score as well at 5/2, but offside!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's really good at football, and in general... I quite like it when we play people who are really good at football. Next stop, Juan Mata...

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Best performance i've seen him as CM. It's very mature, measured and controled display of a midfielder. No headless run, always open up for passes, positionally aware of his CM partner, and knew when to do simple passes.

Shoot me, but it was the first time I think he's better than Fellaini in midfield.

Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Very good first half. There were times when he did venture too far forward and not make himself available, for my liking but not that much to take note of tbh. Has been excellent on the ball and love how he manoeuvres and plays those angled and nifty passes. Liking the look of his partnership with Blind so far and his passing consistency has improved considerably as well.

Hopefully Mata comes on to give us another option on the ball and a better incisiveness in the final third. We certainly have been dominating possession and could do with Mata more than Fellaini in this particular game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm a fan but tonight he was too quiet. In games like that, he should be spraying balls around and set the tempo

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
There were times when I thought he had a decent impact on our play in that he likes to go forward, but he had large spells of the match where I felt he offered very little to us, and he very nearly cost us a goal as well by dithering on the ball.

Mainoldo

Him and Blind played with no urgency or imagination and it fed through the team... The midfield is still a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.