Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I see some criticism against Herrera. Absurd regarding our results and his contribution. Yes, his misplace some passes, sometimes he fouls to easy but one of his biggest strength is his off the ball contribution, more or less always available and on the run. Can't praise him enough. Thanks God we bought him.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's picked up five red cards over the duration of his career, but not one last season. At the age of 24, I suppose that's quite a lot, although I don't know what is statistically the average for someone that age. Anyway, it could be part and parcel of a player who is aggressive and completes a lot of tackles anyway. As you say, we've lacked physicality and aggression in midfield for years, so I would rather we have a player like that who is prone to poor challenges than someone who is tentative and passive in midfield like Cleverley for example.
Yeah, that's what I meant about him picking up more cards when played deeper. He was used as a 10 last season but had a poor disciplinary record the last time he played in a deeper role. At least, that's an observation @Ekeke made which stuck in my head. You could see why in that Liverpool game. Like I said, though, he might have just been waiting for that first booking. With the ref so reluctant to get his yellow card out I'm not too fussed about Hererra kicking as many lumps out of the scousers as possible!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think he is just very eager. He is perhaps a little naive in the sense that he makes niggly fouls that build up into bookings, rather than bad rash challenges.

He will learn though to get a bit cleverer in that sense. It's just learning when to actually win the ball, or just do enough to prevent their forward momentum.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's just so comfortable playing with the ball under pressure at a such a high tempo, especially with the quick passes, he almost always makes the right pass. Haven't seen him dribble forward or play as many through balls as he did the first match, but I'm sure he'll begin to assert himself more. The more capable our team grows on the ball under van Gaal, the better he will look, as currently he has the ability to adorn some of those around him with the way he instigates fluidity in our play.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He's just so comfortable playing with the ball under pressure at a such a high tempo, especially with the quick passes, he almost always makes the right pass. Haven't seen him dribble forward or play as many through balls as he did the first match, but I'm sure he'll begin to assert himself more. The more capable our team grows on the ball under van Gaal, the better he will look, as currently he has the ability to adorn some of those around him with the way he instigates fluidity in our play.
I'd bold the first sentence if it wasn't too much effort to do on my phone, but yeah I think that's one of the biggest benefits of buying a player from Athletic Club rather than most other Spanish clubs. They play a faster, more aggressive style than most other Spanish teams which makes their players more comfortable moving to an English side.

I do think he could benefit from adding a bit more 'pause' in his play though. The cut-throat style is great to watch but sometimes it makes more sense to slow the play down and that's something he needs to learn.

ravelston

Argh no! This has been one of my favourite things about him so far! It would be one thing if all his passes were just passive lay-offs, but he's noticeably aggressive in his passing, looking to push the ball forward and make things happen. And the speed with which he does that, trying to never linger on the ball for longer than necessary, just makes our attacks that much harder to respond to. Gives the midfield that he passes through less time to react and try and get back whilst Mata, Rooney or whoever is receiving that pass and using it.

As for the passes that are more passive, the lay-offs and sideways balls... high tempo is the way that you make passes like that valuable. The criticism people often have of Cleverley, or of Carrick last season, is that they make those sorts of passes but they take two touches thinking about it before doing so. As a result the pass does nothing for our fluidity or tempo, and can never lead to a nice pass-and-move manoeuvre. You can't make pass and move work unless it's bang bang bang, pass move pass move, no sitting on the ball for three seconds between those quick short passes. You're trying to pull the opposition out of shape while they chase the ball, and that doesn't work if you give them a breather between each little movement to recover their positioning.

Herrera hasn't been individually brilliant in every game on tour. He was exceptional against Galaxy, impressive against Madrid, average against Inter and Roma and fairly awful (like everyone else) against Liverpool. But make no mistake, his introduction has a great deal to do with the fast, aggressive pass-and-move that people have been so pleased with so far under Van Gaal. And it's all about that quality of looking to release every pass as early as possible, to always keep the ball moving.
Totally agree. The objective is to move the ball quickly - whether backwards, forwards or in triangles with the wide players doesn't really matter. What we don't need is someone who spends time contemplating making THE pass.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Argh no! This has been one of my favourite things about him so far! It would be one thing if all his passes were just passive lay-offs, but he's noticeably aggressive in his passing, looking to push the ball forward and make things happen. And the speed with which he does that, trying to never linger on the ball for longer than necessary, just makes our attacks that much harder to respond to. Gives the midfield that he passes through less time to react and try and get back whilst Mata, Rooney or whoever is receiving that pass and using it.

As for the passes that are more passive, the lay-offs and sideways balls... high tempo is the way that you make passes like that valuable. The criticism people often have of Cleverley, or of Carrick last season, is that they make those sorts of passes but they take two touches thinking about it before doing so. As a result the pass does nothing for our fluidity or tempo, and can never lead to a nice pass-and-move manoeuvre. You can't make pass and move work unless it's bang bang bang, pass move pass move, no sitting on the ball for three seconds between those quick short passes. You're trying to pull the opposition out of shape while they chase the ball, and that doesn't work if you give them a breather between each little movement to recover their positioning.

Herrera hasn't been individually brilliant in every game on tour. He was exceptional against Galaxy, impressive against Madrid, average against Inter and Roma and fairly awful (like everyone else) against Liverpool. But make no mistake, his introduction has a great deal to do with the fast, aggressive pass-and-move that people have been so pleased with so far under Van Gaal. And it's all about that quality of looking to release every pass as early as possible, to always keep the ball moving.
In my opinion, in that Liverpool game.. he struck the right balance once more. I was mightily impressed. Most of his lay offs in those in between games were passive, which was my issue... and if you over do the quick lay offs (sideways and back), you're not really progressing the play so the tempo might be quick but in terms of moving the game from back to front, it is slow and allows opposition to stay in their shape without having to worry out the spaces in between defence and midfield.

Anyway I'm certain it is just a consistency thing rather than a talent/way of playing issue... he just needs to get into habit of being ever-present and running games week in week out. The Liverpool performance was very positive. His first touch is brilliant, and when he's positive.. he's a joy to watch.

Needs to cut out the fouling though, easily could have been sent off.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In my opinion, in that Liverpool game.. he struck the right balance once more. I was mightily impressed. Most of his lay offs in those in between games were passive, which was my issue... and if you over do the quick lay offs (sideways and back), you're not really progressing the play so the tempo might be quick but in terms of moving the game from back to front, it is slow and allows opposition to stay in their shape without having to worry out the spaces in between defence and midfield.

Anyway I'm certain it is just a consistency thing rather than a talent/way of playing issue... he just needs to get into habit of being ever-present and running games week in week out. The Liverpool performance was very positive. His first touch is brilliant, and when he's positive.. he's a joy to watch.

Needs to cut out the fouling though, easily could have been sent off.

This is what concerns me a little and specially for his first season. I mean too much responsibility from the get go without someone to help him (Carrick would have if he weren't injured) or another CM signing.

Ekeke

Remember that he also spent last season in a different role so might take some time to adjust back to a normal CM role. You can dive with a low percentage tackle high up the pitch with lots of teammates behind you, not when you're 20 yards out. Same with passes - after his first game his passing consistancy wasnt quite there. Gave the ball away trying things which werent on. Again, high up the pitch with lots of players before you its not a worry but in your own half or on the halfway line and it can be a problem.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He played in all games which was exhausting and you could see that. I cant wait to see him play when his fitness levels are top and with a top partner in midfield

Man Utd 2:1 Valencia

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Remember when we had doubts over his defensive qualities?

lulz.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is the kind of modern CM that a lot of people seem to deny the existence of.

Herrera, Modric, Kroos and Fabregas (off the top of my head) are creative CMs, not AMs.

He is the kind of player we lacked, and has looked good. My only criticism tonight is he seems to do a lot of backwards/sideways passes - but this may be due to simply not having enough movement ahead of him, as he has shown his passing quality a few times tonight.

Ling

He is the kind of modern CM that a lot of people seem to deny the existence of.

Herrera, Modric, Kroos and Fabregas (off the top of my head) are creative CMs, not AMs.

He is the kind of player we lacked, and has looked good. My only criticism tonight is he seems to do a lot of backwards/sideways passes - but this may be due to simply not having enough movement ahead of him, as he has shown his passing quality a few times tonight.
He's skillful, crafty. Not exactly creative due to his passing. He's the perfect link up midfielder. There aren't many of that type and having him at United is fecking amazing.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He's skillful, crafty. Not exactly creative due to his passing. He's the perfect link up midfielder. There aren't many of that type and having him at United is fecking amazing.
Yeah I suppose creative is the wrong term. I think that is more due to the fact that he plays deep though.

Ling

Yeah I suppose creative is the wrong term. I think that is more due to the fact that he plays deep though.
Tbh, crafty and skillful can also be called creative, it all depends what do you mean when say creative. But yes, he is very good at it.

JohnnyLaw

Mixed performance today, very good in the first half, less so in the second. Reminds me alot of Scholes.

Anderson18

He is good, but if you look at Kroos at the RM game, the difference in class is so evident. Still think he is a great player but I doubt he'll become a world class player.

Devil may care

I thought he had a good Old Trafford debut, he's confident on the ball, has good technique and gets stuck in, I think he'll have a good season for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is good, but if you look at Kroos at the RM game, the difference in class is so evident. Still think he is a great player but I doubt he'll become a world class player.
Completely different type of players though. Nobody said Herrera's passing was at Kroos' level. He brings a lot more energy and pace to the game though.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
TBF it's more of a difference in playing style. Ander is a high energy box-to-box player while Kroos is more of a conductor. There are things that Ander does which Kroos can't, especially in a purely 2 man midfield. Real played more of a 3 with Modric and James where Kroos' comparitive lack of work-rate gets masked just like with Schweinsteiger + Khedira for Germany or Schweinstiger + Lahm/ Martinez/ Thiago for Bayern.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think he'll have a good season but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations for him either. He isn't a top class player and people will be let down if they're pinning their hopes on him making a massive difference on his own. He needs better players alongside him in midfield.

Anderson18

Completely different type of players though. Nobody said Herrera's passing was at Kroos' level. He brings a lot more energy and pace to the game though.
Yeah Herrera is more mobile and I love his energy so far, but honestly I've been a bit disappointed that, for a creative CM, he so far just didn't show the deep lying playmaking ability, I hoped he'd have. His short passing is excellent, but there are times when he gets the ball in his own half and I'd hope he'd just take the ball forward, or makes a long diagonal pass and then instead does the Clevery thing with a short side way pass. Once we got some tempo in the final 3rd he is great so far, not to mention his through balls. I just expected a bit more from him as a deep lying play maker. Like for example Luka Modric, who shares all those great attributes, but is also a fantastic deep lying playmaker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah Herrera is more mobile and I love his energy so far, but honestly I've been a bit disappointed that, for a creative CM, he so far just didn't show the deep lying playmaking ability, I hoped he'd have. His short passing is excellent, but there are times when he gets the ball in his own half and I'd hope he'd just take the ball forward, or makes a long diagonal pass and then instead does the Clevery thing with a short side way pass. Once we got some tempo in the final 3rd he is great so far, not to mention his through balls. I just expected a bit more from him as a deep lying play maker. Like for example Luka Modric, who shares all those great attributes, but is also a fantastic deep lying playmaker.
That's not his game though, he's Spanish so plays like most other spanish players, but with the bite and energy\ to his game and not quite as good on the ball as the best spanish midfielders. His playing style on the ball though, he doesn't do the long balls like scholes so much, and he's not a deep lying playmaker really to dictate the tempo. He likes moving about, opening space for himself to receive the ball and the quickly give it to somebody to speed up the tempo of the game. His through passes are very good of course, but you can't really expect him to play like a player that is a completely different style to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.