6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

since about 09/10 we havent had a person who gets about the place and hassles the opposition like Fletcher used to. We finally get one and people are pleading for him to calm down. No winning with some of you lot.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
since about 09/10 we havent had a person who gets about the place and hassles the opposition like Fletcher used to. We finally get one and people are pleading for him to calm down. No winning with some of you lot.
Just to clarify, I said he'd pick up a couple of reds cos I just think he will, but I'm actually delighted we have someone who's willing to go into challenges and who doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game. It's crucial for us.

It's just fairly sensible to believe that given that aspect of his game, I won't be surprised to see him sent off once or twice this season. There was already one game in pre season, not sure which one, where he probably should have been sent off tbf.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just to clarify, I said he'd pick up a couple of reds cos I just think he will, but I'm actually delighted we have someone who's willing to go into challenges and who doesn't shy away from the physical aspect of the game. It's crucial for us.

It's just fairly sensible to believe that given that aspect of his game, I won't be surprised to see him sent off once or twice this season. There was already one game in pre season, not sure which one, where he probably should have been sent off tbf.
He made about 3 or 4 bookable challenges in that game, so I see your point. However, none of them were worthy of a straight red and when he did eventually get booked he didn't give the ref any chance to book him from that point onwards.

Of course, I don't think he picked up a yellow card until the 80th minute or so...

MDFC Manager

I think we still have to give him some time. He was playing a different role and system last season right?

Brightonian

The posters telling everyone else that they're overrating him are the ones who don't seem to understand what sort of player he is. He's not a stereotypical Spanish keep-ball player, and never has been. He's not about percentage passing, he's about dynamism and aggressive passing. We bought him for his movement, his energy and his through-balls (more than anyone except Fabregas in last season's La Liga, wasn't it?), not for his pass completion rate.

And you can't complement the quick one-two football we've been playing but then criticise Herrera, either. He is the reason we've been able to do it.

ottosec

His problem is his passing is inconsistent. One minute he pimps a perfect 60 yarder, the next he fecks up a simple pass. If he can improve this aspect of his game, he will be amazing.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He made about 3 or 4 bookable challenges in that game, so I see your point. However, none of them were worthy of a straight red and when he did eventually get booked he didn't give the ref any chance to book him from that point onwards.

Of course, I don't think he picked up a yellow card until the 80th minute or so...
Are you sure? I'll have to trust you on this one as I watched a lot of these games being completely shattered and I can't even remember which one it was right now, but in my mind, there was one game where he was booked, not especially early in the game but not 80th (I'd say around the hour mark) and made a couple of clearly bookable offences after that but was lucky it was pre-season basically and the ref didn't want to send him off.

In any case, he knows how to get stuck in.
The posters telling everyone else that they're overrating him are the ones who don't seem to understand what sort of player he is. He's not a stereotypical Spanish keep-ball player, and never has been. He's not about percentage passing, he's about dynamism and aggressive passing. We bought him for his movement, his energy and his through-balls (more than anyone except Fabregas in last season's La Liga, wasn't it?), not for his pass completion rate.

And you can't complement the quick one-two football we've been playing but then criticise Herrera, either. He is the reason we've been able to do it.
Yeah agree with this, I didn't really know much about him before we got him apart from when he'd played us so I was pleasantly surprised. Though, not really related to over or under rating him, that incisiveness to his passing hasn't always been on display throughout the tour, which is just what some of us are a tad disappointed about. But to even say 'disappointed' is making too big of a deal about it I think, I'm delighted we have him and he's definitely the best CM we have at the moment.

And, in line with what we're discussing above, that physical aspect to his game is very good to see as well as we've missed that immensely.

Pogue Mahone

They've been noticeably absent since the LA Galaxy game.

NMF

It's strange. He's looked a completely different type of player since that game. More combative than creative.
To be fair those through balls came from when he was moved into the no.10 role.

Glanville95

I think people are going overboard with some of his performances. His best game was undoubtedly against LA Galaxy, who were by far the worst opposition we have faced, but none of his performances following that match have come remotely close to that sublime performance. He's clearly a quality player and someone who adds to our midfield and will improve, but he's not without his faults. Definitely our best midfielder, but I suspect there is certainly a lot more to come.

Just to elaborate on a few of his weaker sides to his game, I wouldn't include tackling or his combative nature in that side of things. He is what he is and our midfield has been so passive and tentative for years, it's vital we possess a player like Herrera and he is always going to be prone to a few poor challenges. What slightly concerns me, is not so much his passing itself, but his use of the ball in certain areas of the pitch. His passing is generally impressive. However, I've noticed how frequently he gives away possession in our own half - not just last night, but throughout the tour - and this is when 5v4's in favour of the opposition can occur, when he's often the deepest midfielder.

The signs aren't ominous that he will continue to make those mistakes, but it could prove decisive against very good pressing sides. Another thing is his tendency to overcook passes. He has excellent vision and can execute very impressive through-balls, but his consistency in doing so fluctuates a bit too much and the direction and weight is often off when attempting what should be considered a relatively simple - compared to others - pass. If he can find a better balance between his passes in our third and the oppositions, he will be far more lethal and potentially less liable.

That's just a few criticisms, but I'm very excited to see how he develops here. On a more positive note, some of his touches are exquisite and his awareness of teammates around him is incredible. A very well-rounded player.

Pogue Mahone

He produced three very good ones just last night. It's not his fault if the strikers don't turn them into goals.
You sure? I don't remember any. The best (and only?) through balls of the night came from Young and Fletcher (both to Rooney)

They even did a little montage of his best bits on MUTV and the only remotely penetrative pass they could come up was that (admittedly very nice) pass he pinged out to Young in the corner. Apart from that, the only highlights they could come up with was a couple of neat little flicks and touches. No through balls.

prarek

Yeah. Which is slightly concerning. He's looked way more impressive as a 10 (where we're already over-stocked) than he has in deeper positions (where we're woefully short of real class)
It is indeed slightly concerning. Last season Hererra was pushed higher up and excelled in that role as a playmaker. He had Ituraspe and Rico behind him to protect the defense and do the dirty work. Hopefully he will adapt to the deeper role here but there will be less room for mistakes in your own half.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
It is indeed slightly concerning. Last season Hererra was pushed higher up and excelled in that role as a playmaker. He had Ituraspe and Rico behind him to protect the defense and do the dirty work. Hopefully he will adapt to the deeper role here but there will be less room for mistakes in your own half.
Indeed. Ander had one good season in a deeper role under Bielsa but other than that his best performances have always been playing further up the pitch - at Zaragoza and at Athletic Club.

He's never been that consistent though so I don't think anyone should be surprised at his performances being at different levels (assuming they have been, I've only seen him play against Liverpool where I thought he played well for about 20 minutes in the 2nd half and sloppy/rash for the rest).

mu4c_20le

Me too, I finally get to share a birthday with a United player. Hopefully we will celebrate many birthdays together :drool:

We even use the same phone.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
United also congratulated him! One reply from a fan was: Give him Vidal as birthday present :lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I love him, face of an angel and a nasty little bugger. Just what we needed. Nobody will boss him about. Not frightened of shouting at colleagues either. :drool:

Brophs

The One and Only
Aren't there a lot of rumours that Mata is exactly that?

Which might explain why he's attracting so much man love on here.
There was an article in the Mail around the time he joined that looked to me like they were suggesting. The Mail keeping it classy as usual, if so.

Cina

I have an idea, if we're so rich, why not just buy all of Spain? We have the money, they need it. No brainer.

Cina

A handsome, consistently well dressed and groomed man who likes to visit museums and galleries.

All that's missing is confirmation he's got the Grindr app on his phone...
Anyone who actively knows that there's no e in Grindr must be a fudge packer Pogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.