Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Smalling is ahead of Jones even if he isn't ahead of Blind as a left sided CB, that much is clear IMO.

Glanville95

Yes. So long as he sticks with this silliness of playing a left-footed CB in every game anyway.

There's no doubt that the first half team is his perceived best XI, surely? Isn't that obvious? Fairly sure he's said as much too.
I agree, that the majority of the first half team will be apart of the first XI, but I don't think you can draw definitive conclusions on all of them.

Smalling is van Gaal's third choice captain now and was a mainstay at the back last season. He's even acknowledged how much he's grown as a player and leader. Likewise, I don't see Schweinsteiger as part of the second string team either. The likelihood is, he still wants a bit of experience and leadership in the second team, as it's bereft of it without those two.

Not disputing that LVG doesn't seem too keen on Herrera however.

Mali_Zeus

There's no team A and team B.....

Season hasnt even started and again that LVG doesnt rate Herrera stuff, based on absolutely nothing.

m1y2

I think he was okay but I thought he could be more on the ball, perhaps he thought that BFS could orchestrate the game more and didn't impose for that reason.. we should not play midfield two though.

It's clear that two best midfielders are Herrera and Schneiderlin now only to pick Carrick/Sweini to play at the base, those two should never play together as I highly doubt they are mobile enough

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Bitterly disappointed for Chris Smalling in that case.
I would be as well. I think Chris is our best CB. Also if he keeps the first half team against Barcelona it will be quite scary to see how Blind copes. He should have given a penalty away against Club America.

worldinmotion66

Yes. So long as he sticks with this silliness of playing a left-footed CB in every game anyway.

There's no doubt that the first half team is his perceived best XI, surely? Isn't that obvious? Fairly sure he's said as much too.
Not at all. Last season we played Smalling and Jones at centre back, and in a big game against Liverpool when Rojo was available too. I think it's a preference more than a necessity.

I'd also say that the first half team is more balanced, but the second half XI has experience in Smalling, Evans, Herrera and Schweinsteiger. Smalling has the armband on merit, it could easily have gone to Schweinsteiger or Evans, but I think Van Gaal sees Smalling as a first team player.I would say that the only players guaranteed to start the season currently, fitness permitting, are Rooney, Mata, Carrick, Smalling and Valencia. I think the reat will depend mainly on what he sees in preseason matches and training.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not at all. Last season we played Smalling and Jones at centre back, and in a big game against Liverpool when Rojo was available too. I think it's a preference more than a necessity.

I'd also say that the first half team is more balanced, but the second half XI has experience in Smalling, Evans, Herrera and Schweinsteiger. Smalling has the armband on merit, it could easily have gone to Schweinsteiger or Evans, but I think Van Gaal sees Smalling as a first team player.I would say that the only players guaranteed to start the season currently, fitness permitting, are Rooney, Mata, Carrick, Smalling and Valencia. I think the reat will depend mainly on what he sees in preseason matches and training.
I really hope that's true but I was shocked to hear him be so dogmatic about it in the pressers on tour.

It's definitely possible that he's playing Smalling in the second string to shore things up but I refuse to believe it's a coincidence that he's been playing so many obvious first XI players in the first half of both games and so many fringe players in the second half. Seems clear to me that we're starting each game with very close to what Van Gaal currently perceives as his best XI.

DomesticTadpole

Also it's LVG's preference to have a left footed CB but he didnt insist on that last year nor was stubborn about it..
To me you play your best two CB's. Left footers aren't easy to find anyway, so I wouldn't want quality sacrificing to satisfy a theory.

worldinmotion66

I think he was okay but I thought he could be more on the ball, perhaps he thought that BFS could orchestrate the game more and didn't impose for that reason.. we should not play midfield two though.

It's clear that two best midfielders are Herrera and Schneiderlin now only to pick Carrick/Sweini to play at the base, those two should never play together as I highly doubt they are mobile enough
Carrick controlled the game much better in the first half that Schweinsteiger was able to in the second, but much of that could be down to the other players on the pitch. I'm sure Carrick will start the season, but the question remains, in what system?

A midfield three is more suitable, and I'd expect Schneiderlin and Herrera to start as Schweinsteiger acclimatises, but I think we might want to progress to a midfield two with a #10 in front of them. Herrera can move to that role and Schneiderlin has the legs to cover Carrick, so that makes sense too in terms of fluidity and versatility for the start of the season.

DomesticTadpole

I really hope that's true but I was shocked to hear him be so dogmatic about it in the pressers on tour.

It's definitely possible that he's playing Smalling in the second string to shore things up but I refuse to believe it's a coincidence that he's been playing so many obvious first XI players in the first half of both games and so many fringe players in the second half. Seems clear to me that we're starting each game with very close to what Van Gaal currently perceives as his best XI.
The next two games might throw that completely into the air. The lo and behold the season is on us.

Name Changed

weso26

If this is true then I will honestly have very little hope of challenging this season. Imagine Schweinsteiger not getting a game? Christ.

Herrara is still our best attacking midfielder. He would be great in a 3 with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

.... yet he's not using Herrera in the second string to sure things up.

Keep your narrative going at all costs mate.

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
Come on people, we've played two pre-season friendlies against poor teams. You can't say who is first choice and who is bench material already. At this stage last year one of our best players in the friendlies was Reece James, who's now at Wigan.
We'll know much more after the PSG and Barca games.

m1y2

Carrick controlled the game much better in the first half that Schweinsteiger was able to in the second, but much of that could be down to the other players on the pitch. I'm sure Carrick will start the season, but the question remains, in what system?

A midfield three is more suitable, and I'd expect Schneiderlin and Herrera to start as Schweinsteiger acclimatises, but I think we might want to progress to a midfield two with a #10 in front of them. Herrera can move to that role and Schneiderlin has the legs to cover Carrick, so that makes sense too in terms of fluidity and versatility for the start of the season.
It wasn't only Carrick who controlled the tempo Schneiderlin did as good as him or even better in first 15 minutes which makes me feel that we might not really need to use DLP, Sweinsteiger did much better than Carrick in the first game on the other hand.. so it will be interesting to see which one of them starts against Barca.

Anyway Carrick is here longer and is also a safety option so he might be little more ahead of BFS in the pecking order, as we've always seen with Van Gaal that he plays his players until certain player have a bad game or "option no2" has a significantly better performance to bench the former.

Good selection headaches for Luis

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If this is true then I will honestly have very little hope of challenging this season. Imagine Schweinsteiger not getting a game? Christ.

Herrara is still our best attacking midfielder. He would be great in a 3 with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin.
Get used to it. By all accounts (including the manager's) he's still a long way short of being properly match fit. And that's without even allowing for easing him into a new team/league.

Name Changed

weso26
Get used to it. By all accounts (including the manager's) he's still a long way short of being properly match fit. And that's without even allowing for easing him into a new team/league.
It doesn't take too long for a pro footballer (without any injuries) to get fit though. Hopefully he will be sooner rather than later.

LR7

Bitterly disappointed for Chris Smalling in that case.
I'm not convinced it is the case. Seemed more like Smalling +1 last season and I doubt much has changed.
There's no team A and team B.....

Season hasnt even started and again that LVG doesnt rate Herrera stuff, based on absolutely nothing.
Agree.

LeftyBlaster

Not at his best yet since it's obviously pre-season, but it's clear IMO that we need to play him regularly in a midfield 3. Provides the forward energy and drive in the middle of the park, as well as lots of intelligent movement

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The first and second half teams are hardly a barometer of what he prefers. One would assume some of the senior players are kept for the second half for crowd entertainment.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Hopefully. Although the closing fixtures, without Carrick in the team, left a bit of a bad taste. I haven't watched the pre-season games but here's hoping Hererra has done enough to wipe those games from Van Gaal's mind.
I think a player like Herrera will always take a dip in form when there's no defensive midfielder present around him. That's why with Schneiderlin and to an extent Schweinsteiger (who isn't strictly defensive but adds calmness to the area) I'd expect that he'll no longer have this problem. I'm also assuming that's why we've brought Schneiderlin.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I think it's close to a first 11 but not exactly it.. Like the center back and midfield partnerships I'm not sure are his first choice. For the first halves, he has our 2 most defensive mids, but our 2 most attacking center backs (well, if you count blind as one). The second half is our 2 more attacking, creative midfielders who are weaker defensively, but behind them is our 2 most experienced center backs in Smalling and Evans. So in that group of 4 central players, there's a similar balance to it for both halves. The rest are very clearly A team and B team, but those 4 could change once we start the season (and I'm not sure if we'll play a 4-2-3-1 when it starts or if he's just trying it out right now).

Maybe I just have blinkers for herrera but I can't see him not playing a big role this season in the midfield 3, as he offers so much to the team and he plays at a high level consistently, and even this pre season in both games he's impressed me more then the other 3 center mids.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
i thought he did a nice job being tidy in midfield yesterday. he has fantastic control of the ball in tight places and helps relieve pressure in a hurry by not only being confident on the ball but distributing it smartly. just a brilliant player.

gza the genius

I think he's played well in the two games, but he seems to be quite reserved in his play. It sort've looked to me like he was trying to give some of the younger players a chance to shine last night (he would pass to them in situations that he would likely take the ball forward himself normally). Or maybe that's just how LVG wants his center mids to play right now.

worldinmotion66

I think he's played well in the two games, but he seems to be quite reserved in his play. It sort've looked to me like he was trying to give some of the younger players a chance to shine last night (he would pass to them in situations that he would likely take the ball forward himself normally). Or maybe that's just how LVG wants his center mids to play right now.
I just think in a midfield two he has to be less adventurous. He plays better in a three where he has less positional responsibility.

XdanielredX

He needs to be playing, he need his versatility and movement in midfield to compliment the holding/combative qualities of Schweinsteiger and Carrick.

Schneiderlin looks good in there too.

Maybe a Schwein, Schneid, Herrera combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.