Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I can't see any other solution then Herrera being a intergral part of our 3m-midfield. Probably rotating with Felleini and Morgan.

To good to be on the bench more than accationally once in a while. I think he have a good chance to be selected for his NT this season.

Devil may care

I'd be much more annoyed if we sold Ander than I will be if we sell Di Maria, he's the ideal player to compliment our 4 more defensive minded CM's, his short passing game is better than Rooney's and he is quicker, more athletic and stronger than Mata.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'd be much more annoyed if we sold Ander than I will be if we sell Di Maria, he's the ideal player to compliment our 4 more defensive minded CM's, his short passing game is better than Rooney's and he is quicker, more athletic and stronger than Mata.
Stop fretting. I actually think the way he knuckled down and learnt how to play a different way will have impressed LvG. There will be games where another player might be more suitable, but he will play plenty. We needed the new signing, but if we start selling others in the midfield we just leave ourselves an injury away from a crisis again. I like you think we could cope without Di Maria better, although I don't actually want him to go. If his wife is still unsettled then he might have no choice but to leave.

Devil may care

Stop fretting. I actually think the way he knuckled down and learnt how to play a different way will have impressed LvG. There will be games where another player might be more suitable, but he will play plenty. We needed the new signing, but if we start selling others in the midfield we just leave ourselves an injury away from a crisis again. I like you think we could cope without Di Maria better, although I don't actually want him to go. If his wife is still unsettled then he might have no choice but to leave.
I hope so, perhaps the media are still stuck in the train of thought they had in the first half of last season when he was out of favour. It would be ignorant of them to think that LvG leaving him out of the 4 CM competition he mentioned at the presser, means he's not got faith in him, I felt it just meant that LvG will now be able to use him as more of a #10. Like everyone else he'll have to compete but I can't see how anyone else would start ahead of him in that position at the beginning of the season. I'm not wanting us to sell Di Maria but there are numerous factors that make it more acceptable than selling Herrera IMO.

DomesticTadpole

I hope so, perhaps the media are still stuck in the train of thought they had in the first half of last season when he was out of favour. It would be ignorant of them to think that LvG leaving him out of the 4 CM competition he mentioned at the presser, means he's not got faith in him, I felt it just meant that LvG will now be able to use him as more of a #10. Like everyone else he'll have to compete but I can't see how anyone else would start ahead of him in that position at the beginning of the season. I'm not wanting us to sell Di Maria but there are numerous factors that make it more acceptable than selling Herrera IMO.
He was saying they are holding midfielders, so they were fighting for two out of we would presume three places. Ander will be competing for the third one as a attacking midfielder which is what he is best at. Really for the first game it could be him or Mata, depending where he wants to play Mata. Fellaini is suspended anyway. If we start the season well, Fellaini might wish he hadn't got sent off.

Devil may care

He was saying they are holding midfielders, so they were fighting for two out of we would presume three places. Ander will be competing for the third one as a attacking midfielder which is what he is best at. Really for the first game it could be him or Mata, depending where he wants to play Mata. Fellaini is suspended anyway. If we start the season well, Fellaini might wish he hadn't got sent off.
That was how I took it as well, Bastian, Carrick, Schneiderlin and Blind competing for the 2 deeper CM roles, with Herrera competing with Mata and Fellaini for the attacking CM role. LvG talks a lot about balance, it doesn't get a lot more balanced than that.

DomesticTadpole

That was how I took it as well, Bastian, Carrick, Schneiderlin and Blind competing for the 2 deeper CM roles, with Herrera competing with Mata and Fellaini for the attacking CM role. LvG talks a lot about balance, it doesn't get a lot more balanced than that.
I agree, it's amazing how our manager can open his mouth and we get a million different interpretations of what he meant.:lol:

Devil may care

I agree, it's amazing how our manager can open his mouth and we get a million different interpretations of what he meant.:lol:
Well in fairness LvG kind of has his own unique way of using words so that most are left wondering if they actually got his point. :D

ottosec

What's this shit about him being sold? If he keeps improving like he did this year, I expect him to be considered one of the best in the world on his position by the end of the season. Especially with the fussballgott playing next to him. :D

DomesticTadpole

What's this shit about him being sold? If he keeps improving like he did this year, I expect him to be considered one of the best in the world on his position by the end of the season.
I don't believe it for a minute. LvG came in last season, didn't know the players so had a look at them and then shipped some out. His usual way is to tell players he doesn't want at the end of the season that they will be sold. He has done that this time, RvP, Evans ,Valdes and sold Nani. If Herrera was going he would have already been told at the end of last season. All Ander has spoken about is how much he is looking forward to this season at United.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

That's how most people took it. With Bastian. Micheal, Morgan and Daley competing the 2 deep roles while Juan, Ander and Marouane fight for the #10 position.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ander won't be sold, the rumors makes very little sense and are reminiscent of last season when Van Gaal's words got micro-analysed (he's not 100% proficient in the language still), and Herrera was being linked with moves away from United, prior to him complying with the all-encompassing philosophy. We finally have a midfielder that can add some vibrant link-up play and goals from central areas, and his effervescence will provide a huge spark going forward, despite additions of even Der Fußballgott and Schneiderlin to the likes of Carrick and Blind. All of them are more holding players, and presently can't play the role Herrera can, who brings balance in terms of primarily being a central midfielder who can add goals and link with the forwards in the final third.

Fully expect to see this kind of base setup with minor changes to preserve fitness or account for injuries/ loss of form :

----Schneiderlin--------------------------Herrera---
------------------------
Fußballgott-------------------

Schneiderlin and Fußballgott can both play in the #8 box to box role, but the latter has lost a bit of mobility, so I'm not sure he's ideally suited to that role. Some of his best performances for Bayern and Germany have come from a similarly deep position. Morgan can play either the defensive box to box or as the #6, did so for Southampton to good effect.

Carrick in another holding midfielder, and given his age will slowly be phased out with one eye on the future or maybe even start at first until Fußballgott is more accustomed to the league. Blind is the jack of all trades, adept at filling in as and when required, as either the #6, or as an emergency left-back. Not sure how Mata will fit into the midfield three, he's probably been penciled in for the right flank like the 2nd half of last season. A bit too lightweight for a Van Gaal midfield. Could also play when we mix up the formation a bit, necessitating the presence of a traditional #10 behind the striker. So that's all bases covered, not sure Van Gaal would like to disturb the balance now that we finally have a good complement of midfield players.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
LvG is mental if he doesn't see Herrera as part of his plans. If there's one midfielder we have that I'd like to see us build the midfield around long term, its him. He and schneiderlin (going by what everyone says) should be vital pieces of the team were building. He's no Messi or ronaldo and doesn't warrant a "can't imagine a team without him" treatment but he is a quality central midfielder whose brings a lot of difference aspects to our play.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
If you're wondering why this tweet is in here, here's a tip. Click it. :drool:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Walters_19_MuFc

He shown he was a really good finisher in and around the box last season, but I wonder if he can do that consistently as a 10, such as Mata, Rooney, Lampard, etc?

If I had my choice I would have used him how Mourinho uses Fabregas. Against teams where we'll boss possession, put him as an 8, and when we need to solidify ourselves a bit more, put him as a 10.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm glad we're exploring all our options on the keeper situation. Wouldn't mind seeing him go on loan to get some regular football and come back as our no.2 next season.

Man Utd 3:1 San Jose Earthquakes

Devil may care

Thought Ander was the best of our 4 CM's tonight, covered a lot of ground, passed it well and was always looking to link up or thread a pass into the channels.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought Ander was the best of our 4 CM's tonight, covered a lot of ground, passed it well and was always looking to link up or thread a pass into the channels.
Yep. He's argiably the most consistent player in our team, as his performances are all of a very high standard. The one poor one I ca remember from him was when he broke his rib, which was understandable.

LR7

I just hope LvG sees his importance to this team.

OldTrevil

Surely LVG sees the kid's quality, especially after the way he took on his instructions and continued to improve. He's clearly been the best CM so far this preseason. Ander should be the first on the team sheet in my opinion.

LR7

In which midfield combo did he play?
In the second half team alongside Schweinsteiger again. I think I posted elsewhere that I hope Schweinsteiger doesn't play in a midfield two for us outside of preseason. It wasn't the most balanced of midfields. I just hope Herrera features in whatever midfield three we continue with going forward.

Judging by his comments about the second half, it sounds as though he wasn't as impressed as the people who posted in this thread.
It was a steady 7/10 performance from Herrera personally but the team weren't great in the second half.

prath92

Judging by his comments about the second half, it sounds as though he wasn't as impressed as the people who posted in this thread.
To be fair to him we did nothing much in the second half. I guess Wilson januzaj pereira Lingard combo is too raw. Coupled with the fact that McNair can't cross and Blackett doesn't attempt to. Herrera and schweinsteiger Were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.