Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawliet354

Have you seen the state of our building from the back? Its nervy and badly thought out and invariably requires Pogba to drop deep and carry the ball up the field.

And Herrera's a head down footballer. Very rarely will he collect the ball, lift his head and pick the pass that no one else saw coming. He just hasn't got it in him to get us playing from deep.

It's not just this game either. We saw it plenty earlier in the season. He's fine at short, quick passing and is far more suited to playing further forward.
This is definitely untrue, you probably are talking about Fellaini

He picked out some nice passes to Valencia and linking up well with Mikhi, a 'head down' footballer can never do that can't they??

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Thank you, kind sir. Even I love your complete disregard to the context of the Liverpool game and what/who played more important roles in getting us a point in a match the entire team was dire for the most part. Cheers.
And so does the Cafe by the looks of it, and the stats I've provided, but nah your point that 'fellaini won some headers' blows common sense out of the water.

AR87

He wasn't tremendous today but the problems lie further up the pitch in poor decision making and chance conversion from Mata, Mkhi, Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney and to some extent Pogba, though I felt he was superb after a poor first 15-20 minutes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He wasn't tremendous today but the problems lie further up the pitch in poor decision making and chance conversion from Mata, Mkhi, Zlatan, Rashford, Rooney and to some extent Pogba, though I felt he was superb after a poor first 15-20 minutes.
We have to start converting those chances. If we had everything would be rosy in the garden.

DomesticTadpole

He is much better further forward and the play moves quicker. He is much better with Carrick behind him and Ander then linking to Pogba and getting the ball wide to Valencia etc. Think we he has to sit deep he gets caught between trying to not do something stupid in front of the defence and then desperately wanting to go forward. Too much to think about, it stunts his instincts.

Devil may care

I thought he was decent in the second half but looked lost in the first, in my view no one's game suffers more without Carrick than Ander's.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought he was good to be honest. I really think he can play that holding midfielder role. Though his passing can be erratic and his long passing isn't great.

DomesticTadpole

I thought he was good to be honest. I really think he can play that holding midfielder role. Though his passing can be erratic and his long passing isn't great.
Depends how it's done. If he just breaks up play and gets it to either someone who can run at defences with the ball or has that pass in his arsenal then yes he can. Depends what road Jose wants to go down. People are looking at exact replacements for Carrick when Jose might want more of someone who just sits in front of the defence and is not responsible for great passing.

Mike09

People shouldn't judge those stats as a good no 6. Those stats clearly suit him more as a box to box. Herrera is a type of player who likes to be everywhere and given more freedom. His positioning as a no 6 isn't good enough. This is why in order to use his ability in effective way we have to play him in his best role not as a deeper midfielder like no 6 role.

DomesticTadpole

Nothing wrong with his performance. It was good in fact. Even got a lot of praise from the commentators on my stream.

It was ahead of him where it went wrong. Criminal lack of killer instinct in our front players.
I got to watch the game last night and thought he did well, he kept the ball moving which is what you want. All that was wrong was his bloody shooting. As you say it is up front that needs to be addressed. I would still have preferred Carrick in the side, just so Ander can push forward more.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I think he's a bit overrated on here. He's a decent box to box midfielder, but I doubt he can develop into a top holding midfielder. He can't control a game or set the tone, while his passing is rather "simple" so to say.

Loublaze

ATLien
We're going to have to upgrade on Herrera next season. He's been poor to average for the last 6 or so games but the consensus seems to be he's doing well (and when he's not its because of fatigue) but I just think its because he's a fan favorite. I like him as a player and I think he does better in advanced positions but he doesn't excel at controlling a midfield. What happened to his shooting this season as well? Its one thing he was very good at under LVG

JoaquinJoaquin

We're going to have to upgrade on Herrera next season. He's been poor to average for the last 6 or so games but the consensus seems to be he's doing well (and when he's not its because of fatigue) but I just think its because he's a fan favorite. I like him as a player and I think he does better in advanced positions but he doesn't excel at controlling a midfield. What happened to his shooting this season as well? Its one thing he was very good at under LVG
I think if we do get Griezmann in the Summer then Jose will revert back to a midfield two, with Pogba being one of them. The other place will be a fight between Carrick, Herrera and a new signing hopefully.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was ok on the weekend, definitely not one of the first players I'd go to for letting the side down.

He needs to stop with these random shots though.... he either balloons it into the stands or just wangs it at the defender.

Fracture90

I thought he was decent in the second half but looked lost in the first, in my view no one's game suffers more without Carrick than Ander's.
Yep, was thinking the same. Would add Valencia as well, he seems more free knowing Carrick's there to cover his back.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think he's a bit overrated on here. He's a decent box to box midfielder, but I doubt he can develop into a top holding midfielder. He can't control a game or set the tone, while his passing is rather "simple" so to say.
I see that getting levied against him alot. In recent matches he's pulled off some very good balls.

Yep, was thinking the same. Would add Valencia as well, he seems more free knowing Carrick's there to cover his back.
Think it's got more to do with the formation than anything. We play differently when Carrick is in and out of the team. Not sure I agree with you regarding Valencia but I see your point, again I think it reflects more on our set up than his inclusion as a player.

Devil may care

Agreed, Herrera, Pogba and Valencia all have that extra freedom when Carrick plays becasue his positional awareness and discipline is so impeccable.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Feels like he should have at least 150, but then I started thinking about how rarely he was actually selected by LvG.

Last edited:

the hea

His form has dropped drastically in the last couple of weeks as it has with all our midfielder. Today Pogba was the only midfielder playing anywhere near the level that is expected from them.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I thought he was just about the only one who appeared to give a shit though, gets points for that.

Mike09

Name one who hasn't been..
One in midfield again, Pogba and Carrick no show.
One in midfield? Herrera was clearly poor. The main point of Carrick in midfield is to give a freedom for both Pogba and Herrera to play in their best role but neither Pogba and Herrera play well today even though they were playing in their best role. They both didn't seem bother to do something.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
His form has dropped drastically in the last couple of weeks as it has with all our midfielder. Today Pogba was the only midfielder playing anywhere near the level that is expected from them.
Wow, did we watch the same game? Pogba strolled about like an arrogant twat, did nothing off the ball and lost it a fair bit too. Herrera had to spend the whole game chasing because of that.

DomesticTadpole

Maybe he is shattered and unfortunately we have sold one midfielder, he ignores another and one is a kid who he is scared to use. It is a problem.

Godfather

Tbh he was the only one giving any fecks in midfield today. Carrick was not to be seen and Pogba apart from his goal was busy losing possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.