View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Oranges038

The difference is the quality and pace of the pass, that’s the reason De Gea was criticised.
Onana can play that ball instantly whereas De Gea would take an age and the opposition would have already pressed higher to intercept.
There was one to Maguire as well last season, which was a shocking pass out, to his wrong side etc. But it was poor old Harry what got the blame.

quadrant

Watching him it’s amazing how often the same pattern is played when we play out from the back but it’s the exact same thing DeGea was doing. I’ve already seen enough of Onana to know he has a far vaster range and willingness to use it level of passing. He has played 3 or 4 absolute peaches through the line already.

However still long punt to fullback like DeGea or that dreaded pass that got DeGea crucified because it was deemed silly yet Onana plays it again and again.

Can’t recall what game it was but DeGea passed out to Eriksen who is facing DDG, the plan to nip it around the corner out to Bissaka. However that was read, the ball was intercepted and they scored. DDG blamed for it.

Watching the Arsenal game Onana did the same thing about 8 times and Eriksen every time just nipped it out to Bissaka having drawn the press. However he got away with it multiple times. Just be interesting to see if these keeps happening how long it is till we give a goal away as it’s fairly predictable.
There's nothing wrong with making a pass like that, you see it 10 times a game with teams that like to play out through an opposition press. You just have to do it right. The keeper has to judge that the player receiving the ball won't get caught and ensure that the ball out to the player has the right pace and accuracy. We'll see that pass many times this season, by us and by all the top teams.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Once we have Amrabat or another midfielder / CB available from injury far more short passes will be available allowing for great build up. Seeing Hojlund too, will make a difference and someone who can trap or hold a ball up from a long pass from Onana. It's only been 4 games and we have injury issues, let's wait a few months and see how we proceed when everyone is available.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There was one to Maguire as well last season, which was a shocking pass out, to his wrong side etc. But it was poor old Harry what got the blame.
You mean that Sevilla game, where poor old 'Arry got ton of space to pass to?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I think his shot stopping isn't as good as de gea's. Whether his distribution and passing make up for it in the long run remians to be seen.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have no idea how can people make conclusions about his shot stopping so early, especially in comparision with de Gea who conceeded ridiculous goals from different distances in his first year for us. Remember Dzeko's long range goal in community shield in one of his first games for us?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I have no idea how can people make conclusions about his shot stopping so early, especially in comparision with de Gea who conceeded ridiculous goals from different distances in his first year for us. Remember Dzeko's long range goal in community shield in one of his first games for us?
Exactly. I'm assuming people are comparing his shot stopping to 2014-2018 De Gea. They can't possibly be saying that based on the evidence we've seen so far from Onana in a United shirt, his shot stopping is worse than the De Gea of last season who was practically throwing the ball into his own net at times.

Matt Varnish

:lol: :lol: And what top club has De Gea gone to? Madrid, Bayern and Chelsea were all after keepers.
What has happened to De Gea has no bearing on Onana being a liability, we bought Taibi FFS
How many teams apart from us were chasing Onana should be your question.................................I'll wait

Idxomer

We basically gave them 3 penalties to score from but still, he should've saved at least one of them.

Erics_Collar

Remember when we convinced ourselves that we needed a better passing goalkeeper at the expense of a shot stopping goalkeeper?

Did we forget we weren't Man City or peak Barcelona?

Roboc7

We paid a ridiculous fee for him which has created expectations he is much better than he actually is. Great distribution but very ordinary as a shot stopper.

Chip

Not writing him off, but given our state we could’ve spent the money better elsewhere.

klayton88

Is it me or does he barley seem to cover ground when he dives? He has no spring.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Remember when we convinced ourselves that we needed a better passing goalkeeper at the expense of a shot stopping goalkeeper?

Did we forget we weren't Man City or peak Barcelona?
I remember those that said the old keeper was the problem. Turns out he really wasn't and we've since spent money on a new one instead of fixing our striker problem.

Aretak

Maybe time to try him in midfield, because he's just not a very good goalkeeper. He barely moves when he dives.

miked99

I know it's still early but there's no conviction at all. He's far too easy to score against. The saves he does make seem to be with his feet. It doesn't feel like the GK department has been strengthened at all so far.

Castia

I’m on record saying this keeper is shit in the weeks/months leading upto his signing

Another load of money spunked on absolute shite

united for life

I know it's still early but there's no conviction at all. He's far too easy to score against. The saves he does make seem to be with his feet. It doesn't feel like the GK department has been strengthened at all so far.
a drop in shot stopping since de gea left. I also do not see the distribution people kept talking about

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He manages to make the net look absolutely massive when he's stood in it. It's weird.

Not wholly convinced he's good at this saving shots stuff... Also how long range passing is nothing to write home about so far

RuudTom83

I remember those that said the old keeper was the problem. Turns out he really wasn't and we've since spent money on a new one instead of fixing our striker problem.
No, it turns out GK was only one of the many problems that needed fixing.

mu4c_20le

Nothing against him but... was he really THE best option available? Verbruggen looks decent and can also pick out a pass.

Bole Top

"Sorrows are our best educators. A man can see further through a tear than a telescope."

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
DDG was still a problem and if we had renewed him we'd be stuck with a very expensive keeper on the decline for multiple years.

I do agree that we should've allocated the transfer funds better though. Instead of spending so much on Onana, surely we could've identified a cheaper stop-gap for a year or two.

Matt Varnish

I’m on record saying this keeper is shit in the weeks/months leading upto his signing

Another load of money spunked on absolute shite
Cough

I was there too.
You only have to look at his past to see he is not the quality shot stopper we need, what good is a keeper who literally plays the ball out of his goal.
Another overpaid for mediocre player, and to think we let Henderson go to give this bloke a place.

Sgreddevil

I trust De Gea would have saved at least 1 or 2 of those goals. Has not really impressed in his distribution or shot stopping. I wondered what ETH sees in him.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's not an extraordinary shot stopper because that's what he'd have to be to save even one of the goals today. Go back and look how much time and space each goal scorer had. Then see every time we had a shot, defenders all over the striker getting blocks in.

Erics_Collar

Might not be such a problem if we were peak Barcelona and only conceded 1 or 2 chances a game. Not the fecking 8 shots on target that Brighton had though.

His passing might count for more if he was pinging balls out to Busquets or Alba or Xavi and letting them do their thing.

Instead he's passing to the bloated corpse of Casemiro or hoof-merchant Victor Lindelof.

Looks like our priorities were way off here.

Pintu

We basically gave them 3 penalties to score from but still, he should've saved at least one of them.
We handed them 5 penalties and they only scored 3…

His anticipation to save Fati’s shot was world class.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
DDG was still a problem and if we had renewed him we'd be stuck with a very expensive keeper on the decline for multiple years.

I do agree that we should've allocated the transfer funds better though. Instead of spending so much on Onana, surely we could've identified a cheaper stop-gap for a year or two.
David Raya literally moved for just over half the price