View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedRocket9908

Everyone in the league knows he is not a good keeper, that's why they shoot at sight. And that's the main reason he has second second-highest save % in the league.
If he wasnt a good keeper he wouldnt have the second highest save % in tbe league, the reason he has to make so many saves is because he has no defence in front of him.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
If he wasnt a good keeper he wouldnt have the second highest save % in tbe league, the reason he has to make so many saves is because he has no defence in front of him.
True, and some of his saves have been excellent , but he doesn't fill me with confidence, and some of his mistakes are horrendous.

Stadjer

Not really.

He has only faced 15 more shots on target than Allison has across 15 games, who is the top shot stopper. So 1 shot more per game on average, not really a sign of teams shooting on site because he's crap.
You think facts proving made up statements wrong are going to convince some people that Onana isnt absolutely crap? :lol:

frostbite

You think facts proving made up statements wrong are going to convince some people that Onana isnt absolutely crap? :lol:
Do you really believe that Onana will be a great keeper for us in the next 5 years? ( He has a 5 year contract I think. )

Stadjer

Do you really believe that Onana will be a great keeper for us in the next 5 years? ( He has a 5 year contract I think. )
I dont know, i do think he is better than he has been showing so far though. If he can be great also depends on the rest of the team. While i dont think he will ever be the best goalkeeper in terms of making wondersaves on a regular bases, i do think he can be a good goalkeeper for a big club.

ti vu

Not really.

He has only faced 15 more shots on target than Allison has across 15 games, who is the top shot stopper. So 1 shot more per game on average, not really a sign of teams shooting on site because he's crap.
Shoot in sight would include all kind of shots we face. Intention is one thing. Execution is another. There is a reason other performance related stats are being developed to get to grasp more insight to a game of football. It's illogical to think players decide to shoot off target on purpose.

Also Allison has played less games than Onana in the league as well as in all competitions.

Oranges038

Shoot in sight would include all kind of shots we face. Intention is one thing. Execution is another. There is a reason other performance related stats are being developed to get to grasp more insight to a game of football. It's illogical to think players decide to shoot off target on purpose.

Also Allison has played less games than Onana in the league as well as in all competitions.
I just looked at overall, so 2 less games and 20 less shots faced over 14 matches. So your talking just over 1 extra shot on target per game. He also has EL where Kelleher has been playing and that's why I only looked at the PL.

Litch

DDG was a top servant of this club. But DDG had some stinkers, all keepers do, it’s inevitable. Onana is better with his feet, the eye test will tell you that, he routinely controls the ball, body feints, stops the opposing team from cutting the pitch in half, thus implementing a squeeze on our chosen flank. DDG couldn’t do that ever.

Do I think Onana will be here long term? No. His shot stopping and handling are league 1/2 level, it’s really poor which should be called out.

You know you can state that DDG had his flaws that got worse in the last 3 years and say that Onana isn’t the right man for the reasons that have been posted in here ad Nauseam. It’s not one player or the other
So what did Barca, Ajax, Inter and now Utd see in him as shot stopping and handling are the fundamentals to GK?
Not sure what long term actually means but I suspect it will be longer than people think.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I get VDS but let's be clear, that was 30 years ago and he was a very good keeper, fundamentally.

The rest of your post is very good and highlights the huge issues with Onana. Technique and actual Goalkeeping ability
Feels like VdS was just a cheap punt by us, instead of a sought after long research. He was 35 y.o. when we got him, and was with Fulham for years achieving nothing there.

Brad Friedel had more better games against us than VDS with Fulham.

R'hllor

Its actually funny, they paid money for a GK that is by reports stronger on passing side and then we dont play possession focused football to cover whats lacking on shot stopping side.

ti vu

Feels like VdS was just a cheap punt by us, instead of a sought after long research. He was 35 y.o. when we got him, and was with Fulham for years achieving nothing there.

Brad Friedel had more better games against us than VDS with Fulham.
SAF said something along the line that VDS was always on the radar after Peter Scheimel left. VdS mid career crisis (his Juventus stint), prevented us from signing him sooner. Understandable since the pressure here was huge and VdS was not in great state of mind on top PL physical style of play.

While I think he exceeded expectation with his performance, I believe his signing was a product of research process. VDS is as all rounded GK as it gets, which we needed back then rather shot stopper in Tim Howard, or crazy maniac sweeper ball playing GK in Barthez.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We are not at a point where we need a super GK in the mould of Schmeichel or VDS. Just a solid GK who offers a stabil 7 every game. No blunder, a couple of great save every few games perhaps.

But Onana doesnt even provide that. Another several match with similar performance he'll be having a mountain to climb with his reputation as a clown in goals. We of all clubs should be familiar with GK being too mentally weak to play for United, we've had trains of them in past

Wing Attack Plan R

Sincerely doubt he will be here in 5 years time. His howlers in the Champions League have all but knocked us out of this year's competition. He's made some good saves but his reflexes are slow. He's not a complete disaster but he's nowhere near what it said on the tin when we bought him.

He reminds me of Roy Carroll, and not in a good way. Both just seem to choke at key moments.

FujiVice

He signed for Fulham because Al Fayed promised they'd be the Man United of the South and paid him as such. He was sold a bill of goods.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He signed for Fulham because Al Fayed promised they'd be the Man United of the South and paid him as such. He was sold a bill of goods.
SAF said something along the line that VDS was always on the radar after Peter Scheimel left. VdS mid career crisis (his Juventus stint), prevented us from signing him sooner. Understandable since the pressure here was huge and VdS was not in great state of mind on top PL physical style of play.

While I think he exceeded expectation with his performance, I believe his signing was a product of research process. VDS is as all rounded GK as it gets, which we needed back then rather shot stopper in Tim Howard, or crazy maniac sweeper ball playing GK in Barthez.
Of course there's research process, as all the buy should go. But I don't think United bought a 35 y.o. Gk as a long-term target. He was never even the best Gk in PL when at Fulham. There wasn't any fuss or Fulham's resistance. It seemed like we're the only top team in the whole world that was interested on him that year.

FujiVice

Of course there's research process, as all the buy should go. But I don't think United bought a 35 y.o. Gk as a long-term target.
They didnt. Tony Coton's book said he suggested him to Fergie, who thought he'd half retired and didnt have it anymore. And Fergie saw him as a 2 year stop gap. Its only when he discovered just how well prepared he was he thought he could get 5 years out of him. Fergie wanted him in 1999, though.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is it controversial to say that a steady eddy keeper like Sanchez may have been a better fit?
Both him and Raya have been mentioned quite a bit. Both have also made pretty big errors this season, they'd be getting slated just as much on here

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They didnt. Tony Coton's book said he suggested him to Fergie, who thought he'd half retired and didnt have it anymore. And Fergie saw him as a 2 year stop gap. Its only when he discovered just how well prepared he was he thought he could get 5 years out of him. Fergie wanted him in 1999, though.
No doubt. Although even at Fulham, he was Netherland's main Gk. So agreed with @ti vu , even it was a "punt" buy, it was a very calculated one.

ti vu

Of course there's research process, as all the buy should go. But I don't think United bought a 35 y.o. Gk as a long-term target. He was never even the best Gk in PL when at Fulham. There wasn't any fuss or Fulham's resistance. It seemed like we're the only top team in the whole world that was interested on him that year.
Other top team already had their GK sorted. VdS very much forced his way out too since he didn't have much time left on his contract. Fulham didn't have much choice when selling VdS.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2295586/van-der-sar-wants-fulham-exit

And yes, VdS was not meant to be a long term solution given that his original contract was only two year. Tim Howard contract was freshly renewed, also hinted that VdS was originally meant to be stop gap, to help with Tim Howard development. However, soon VdS proved himself to be a good long term that Tim Howard got let go the following summer.

Profile wise, VdS is meant to be a GK with no weaknesses. Not every attribute is elite, but even the weaker areas are good to even very good level.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Disagree,
The first goes low across his body, he should have seen that coming and have been able to deal with it.
He gets caught out exactly the same way moments later, but the post saves his blushes.
The second is a nice height, I think he actually goes for a hollywood save and messes it up.
The third, he should be organising his defence and put a man on the post, he had no chance of getting to it, it was a brilliant header.
This keeper can only stop shots that are directly at him, he's slow getting down to a ball, and for a bloke his size he completely fails to command his area.
You hardly ever see him come to claim a ball, even when one on one he failed, save by a dodgy VAR decision.

If he was a young keeper learning his trade, then his mistakes could be coached out of him, but he's an experienced player, with ECL and WC experience, he should not be making these mistakes this often.
He's the typical guy who gets picked last in the playground game and is told to go in goal
His distribution also has to be questioned, ant best it's poor, more often than not the ball comes straight back at us.

Neto gave him a lesson in goalkeeping yesterday, I have a feeling he's about to get two more in the coming week.
I can’t really disagree with your analysis other than to shift the emphasis. You argue, in think, that Onana should have saved the first two shots, whereas I will only go so far as to say that he could have those shots. Either way, it’s pathetic management by the club that we have downgraded at keeper to the point where there’s no aspect of his game that improves us defensively or offensively over our previous keeper, who the mob here demanded we “get rid” of.

klayton88

He's going to make mistakes, sure, but most top keepers do these days. We are going to be infinitely times more effective at starting attacking phases. Done are the days of slow, calamitous, panic passing. I just hope he's a good character off the pitch also. I want a drama free season of well behaved players to get behind.

EDIT - what a fool I was
That's what I get for being optimistic

Kostov

Can someone make a poll, so everyone can express their opinion whether they think Onana has been an upgrade on our previous GK?

Rossa

I dont know, i do think he is better than he has been showing so far though. If he can be great also depends on the rest of the team. While i dont think he will ever be the best goalkeeper in terms of making wondersaves on a regular bases, i do think he can be a good goalkeeper for a big club.
You need a very high level of consistency from your goalies and/or the ability to make world class saves. VDS is arguably the most consistent goalie I've ever seen. I can remember one or two mistakes from him, but that's about it. He was extremely consistent. He was also a good shot stopper, albeit not at Schmeichel's or DDG's level. VVD was also great with his feet - from what I've seen from Onana, I'd argue VDS was arguably consistently better. DDG was a world class shot stopper at his best, and he would keep us in games making saves that basically no other goalie would make - that was his forte, at his peak, and it was at such a high level that attackers started doubting scoring against him. Then he fell off a cliff, to an extent. Schmeichel had a little bit of everything. He was arguably as good a shot stopper as peak DDG, but in addition he was also the most commanding goalie I've ever seen in the box - both aerially and one on one against attackers. Simply majestic and frightening at the same time. He was also, at the time, a pretty good distributor - especially his throws were extremely long and accurate, and he did orchestrate quite a few counter attacks with his long throws to the wingers.

Onana needs to find his feet. I think he has some great attributes, but he needs to show consistency - it's still early days, but he needs not only consistency, but he needs a high level of consistency with some world class elements if he wants to succeed at United.

Lentwood

I think he's largely been fine in the league to be honest.

It was always going to be a tough ask because there exists a large number of people waiting for him to fail and to make DDG comparisons.

The way I see it is, he's just got to get through this first 6-months, settle in, settle down and then we'll judge him from Christmas until the end of the season.

Being United's goalkeeper is arguably one of the toughest jobs in football, so he deserves some time.

Kostov

By who?

I've asked that poster to provide evidence of those claims several times.

Guess what? They never appeared.

Why? Because it's an argument that they've made up in their own head.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/david-de-gea-2022-23-performances.471392/post-30622801

Or to quote yourself:

"Nonsense. Find a keeper that suits the style ETH wants to play and you will see right away the difference it will make. Doesn't have to be 70-80m."

Is this good enough evidence?

:nono:

Last edited:

Oranges038

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Is it controversial to say that a steady eddy keeper like Sanchez may have been a better fit?
I think the Sanchez signing shows how difficult it is to find a steady eddy. People have this idea that a steady eddy does all the basics right and doesn’t make mistakes. But in reality only great keepers fit the profile. Sanchez regularly looks unsteady. Goalkeepers have a much harder and wider job now than they used to, keepers who used to be considered solid now have glaring weaknesses because they’re asked to do much more.

Oranges038

Maybe you should go back to the DDG thread and do some reading, yes.
I have done. There is just one poster who keeps banging on about how others were saying a new keeper would transform the attack. Same poster carried it into pre season, specifically brought it up after Onana played less than one half of football for the club and has even carried it on into this thread too.

Here's one I did post.

If you put a keeper who is competent on the ball and a midfielder who can control and pass a ball properly, it would totally transform this teams abiltiy to transition the ball out of defence.
I cannot find one example of anyone else directly blaming DDG for the team not finishing chances or actually posting that Onana or any that other keeper replacing DDG would have a transformational effect on the teams attacking output.

Early days, but the transformation of our attack is nowhere in sight.
Maybe because it's the same forward line as last season.
True, but we were assured repeatedly that the new keeper would transform our attack.
It's been 40 minutes :lol:
It was only his first game, and the opponent was Real, but there was nothing about Onana’s performance last night that looked anything like a transformation in our attack.

As for shotstopping, and I’ll make it brief here since since this isn’t the thread for it, Dave made some calamitous mistakes last season but he has also made numerous saves that you just don’t see typical keepers at even elite clubs make.
Not sure what you're expecting from Onana to be honest. You thought he will single-handedly transform our attack? Not I, but there are many among us here who literally -- and I literally mean literally --blamed De Gea for our poor performance in attack last season (yes, including our weak chance conversion, as crazy as that sounds) and that Onana would transform -- yes, transform -- our attack. I do not agree with this insanity
I worry we’re setting expectations far too high for Onana. He will not transform our attack.

However, Dave was guilty of losing concentration too often in his last three seasons. We’re better off with a keeper consistently putting in a 6 performance than a keeper going from a 5 one match to a 7 in the next match.

Last edited:

Darlington Padgett

Sommer was there for free, he is by far the best goalkeeper in the Serie A this season. Inter sold Onana and replaced him with a much better keeper for free. They also used that money to buy Pavard and Thuram, both would probably start today for us.

Brophs

The One and Only
Excited to see what he’s got in store for us tonight. Can he make it 6 from 6?

Kostov

I have done. There is just one poster who keeps banging on about how others were saying a new keeper would transform the attack. Same poster carried it into pre season, specifically brought it up after Onana played less than one half of football for the club and has even carried it on into this thread too.
But in the post I quoted to you, you are saying that if we just change DDG with a GK who suits ETH's style, right away we will see the difference it will make. I also remember you an me having the same debate and you claiming how easy it will be to replace DDG, because according to you he was total shit, and any semi decent GK will be better than him, Raya and Sanchez were constantly thrown with their performance stats. Now Raya and Sanchez have also both shown that they are absolute crap, just like Onana has been for us.

Here's one I did post.
I cannot find one example of anyone else directly blaming DDG for the team not finishing chances or actually posting that Onana or any that other keeper replacing DDG would have a transformational effect on the teams attacking output.
And neither does anyone say that finishing was expected to be improved by the new GK. He sloppily says "attack" and you've pretty much did say "transform the transition", and since we were proudly saying that we are mostly a team that is strong in the attacking transition under ETH, does it not mean the same?

Oranges038

But in the post I quoted to you, you are saying that if we just change DDG with a GK who suits ETH's style, right away we will see the difference it will make. I also remember you an me having the same debate and you claiming how easy it will be to replace DDG, because according to you he was total shit, and any semi decent GK will be better than him, Raya and Sanchez were constantly thrown with their performance stats. Now Raya and Sanchez have also both shown that they are absolute crap, just like Onana has been for us.

And neither does anyone say that finishing was expected to be improved by the new GK. He sloppily says "attack" and you've pretty much did say "transform the transition", and since we were proudly saying that we are mostly a team that is strong in the attacking transition under ETH, does it not mean the same?
No they do not mean the same thing.

DDG has easily been replaced. Onana is not crap, he hasn't covered himself in glory. But, just have a look at the stats and performance metrics. Aside from camera saves. He's not been markedly worse than DDG in any area.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can’t really disagree with your analysis other than to shift the emphasis. You argue, in think, that Onana should have saved the first two shots, whereas I will only go so far as to say that he could have those shots. Either way, it’s pathetic management by the club that we have downgraded at keeper to the point where there’s no aspect of his game that improves us defensively or offensively over our previous keeper, who the mob here demanded we “get rid” of.
Oh we are just making things up now.

DomM

looking forward to another Onana masterclass tonight, 3 easy goals seems to be the norm in Europe..