View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mk7

2 minutes in and only 1 save that refutes anything remotely close to what he’s been criticized for.
A lot of saves back into the middle of the box thanks to weird technique saving with the arms instead of the hands/fingers.

Matt Varnish

This kind of sums up the issues. We all know this isn't true 'he cannot jump' :lol: but you've written it in a serious way talking about a professional GK.

I think we can say he's made some high profile errors in the CL and looks to have a bit of an unorthodox technique (I remember people saying DDG going with his feet was all wrong back in the day but he turned out to be fine for most of his time here). I do think some people have been mislead though, there have been posts on here saying they thought he was going to be coming for crosses and dominating the box, not sure he's ever done that but the bar was just super low with DDG. I am happy with his profile, I said it early on, it just depends on the risk reward factors and we can't really judge that until a season is done and we can look back and provide context.

The real shame is how petty some of the posting has become (see above), it's reminiscent of when Poch got linked to the United job and then posters would follow his PSG career and post whenever they lost.
Those claiming he lacks basic saving ability should watch this

Can't remember which Villa manager it was, but he bought a player based on a compilation video, he turned out to be as bad as Ohno.
As a compilation video goes it makes him look good, but we all know he's not, at least not in a United shirt.
You should never rely on YouTube as a bench mark for quality.

sixdwarf

Getting rid of that prima donna was the best thing Ten Hag has done, it was worth it having him here only because of that. The only clowns are people that are still fanboying about that cnut. Feck Ronaldo.
You have to question why he ended up acting the way he did. I don't condone Ronaldo's reaction which I felt was treachery. But Ten Hag didn't reckon on him. There was a feeling he couldn't press. He pressed more than Martial and Hojlund AND scored goals!! His treatment was shite and no doubt fuelled Sancho's scapegoat gibe. Ten Hag has his favourites that does not relate to merit. Onana and Antony being just two.

padzilla

Hipster
The suggestion De Gea should still be at United is revisionism 101. Onana might not be the solution but to say De Gea didn't need replaced is delusion of the highest order.
He was a major problem for us last season. We lost the FA Cup Final alone because of his poor performance.

Kostov

The suggestion De Gea should still be at United is revisionism 101. Onana might not be the solution but to say De Gea didn't need replaced is delusion of the highest order.
He was a major problem for us last season. We lost the FA Cup Final alone because of his poor performance.
Speak about major delusion and you blame DDG for losing thr FA cup final, in a game we couldn’t score a goal if not for a lucky penalty kick. Yeah DDG was at fault for being outclassed.

tomaldinho1

Can't remember which Villa manager it was, but he bought a player based on a compilation video, he turned out to be as bad as Ohno.
As a compilation video goes it makes him look good, but we all know he's not, at least not in a United shirt.
Feel like you didn’t tag me before and now have mistakenly tagged me in this? I never referenced a YouTube video.

Stadjer

You have to question why he ended up acting the way he did. I don't condone Ronaldo's reaction which I felt was treachery. But Ten Hag didn't reckon on him. There was a feeling he couldn't press. He pressed more than Martial and Hojlund AND scored goals!! His treatment was shite and no doubt fuelled Sancho's scapegoat gibe. Ten Hag has his favourites that does not relate to merit. Onana and Antony being just two.
I dont think this belongs in an Onana topic but wasnt Ronaldo last by a huge margin in the pressing list during ETH his first season? I seriously doubt Ronaldo presses more than Hojlund does. I think you just make stuff up here. Also Ronaldo scored less goals in Europe (Europa League) than Hojlund (Champions League) and the same amount (1) in the EPL during his last season. Your facts are wrong.

manutddjw

I'm in the De Gea should still be at United camp. 100% agree De Gea should've been replaced, but we were working with a limited budget and had other pressing concerns in the squad. All reports said De Gea agreed to reduced wages, so what we should have done, was keep De Gea for 1 more year and used the Onana money (and Mount money) elsewhere and targeted a top goalkeeper this coming summer.

Pickle85

I'm in the De Gea should still be at United camp. 100% agree De Gea should've been replaced, but we were working with a limited budget and had other pressing concerns in the squad. All reports said De Gea agreed to reduced wages, so what we should have done, was keep De Gea for 1 more year and used the Onana money (and Mount money) elsewhere and targeted a top goalkeeper this coming summer.
Yup, agree with all this. It was time to replace him but we had other more pressing needs.

sixdwarf

I dont think this belongs in an Onana topic but wasnt Ronaldo last by a huge margin in the pressing list during ETH his first season? I seriously doubt Ronaldo presses more than Hojlund does. I think you just make stuff up here. Also Ronaldo scored less goals in Europe (Europa League) than Hojlund (Champions League) and the same amount (1) in the EPL during his last season. Your facts are wrong.
I know what I see with my eyes. Besides we are not a pressing team now.

Gordon Godot

Is there a single save in there that you think 'wow'. Most from outside of the box, many straight at him. A real so what video.

Oranges038

Great.... so we run a lot, but create feck all and score a goal per game. So we are a failed pressing team?
You can't deny that the pressing and the pressing structure for a large part has been good and works. What's not been good has been the chance creation and conversion rates from those high turnovers.

James35

Hoping this guy gets sold in the summer.

Don’t like his personality, ego and more importantly his lack of ability.

Kostov

You can't deny that the pressing and the pressing structure for a large part has been good and works. What's not been good has been the chance creation and conversion rates from those high turnovers.
I actually think our pressing very often is very chaotic and not up to the highest standards, but as you love stats they seem to show something different. Now what is the point of this "good" pressing when the main reason why someone would do it in the first place (chance creation) has been atrocious, and I think it's been like this for 1.5 season. Some were trying to pin this on the GK up till May now, not a sniff, as I agree it's a much bigger issue than a GK or a team being able to press.

Oranges038

I actually think our pressing very often is very chaotic and not up to the highest standards, but as you love stats they seem to show something different. Now what is the point of this "good" pressing when the main reason why someone would do it in the first place (chance creation) has been atrocious, and I think it's been like this for 1.5 season. Some were trying to pin this on the GK up till May now, not a sniff, as I agree it's a much bigger issue than a GK or a team being able to press.
Yeah, but the numbers actually show that Utd have the lowest number of high turnovers converted into chances and goals, I can only think of two in the Villa and Forrest games off the top of my head.

So it shows the pressing structure is good and works quite a lot. Which you can see when you watch the games. When the press is broken through the trouble Utd have is that the midfield and defence lacks athleticism and recovery pace to deal with fast breaks.

The whole pressing structure requires distances to be maintained from back to front, which is why having a keeper who pushes his defence high and controls the spaces in behind is key to a high press being successful. Now we haven't seen Onana do that enough, but that is a huge part of the reason you bring in a keeper with his skillset.

Kostov

Yeah, but the numbers actually show that Utd have the lowest number of high turnovers converted into chances and goals, I can only think of two in the Villa and Forrest games off the top of my head.

So it shows the pressing structure is good and works quite a lot. Which you can see when you watch the games. When the press is broken through the trouble Utd have is that the midfield and defence lacks athleticism and recovery pace to deal with fast breaks.

The whole pressing structure requires distances to be maintained from back to front, which is why having a keeper who pushes his defence high and controls the spaces in behind is key to a high press being successful. Now we haven't seen Onana do that enough, but that is a huge part of the reason you bring in a keeper with his skillset.
Does it ever cross your mind that the better teams in the league actually sacrify some of the pressing for more balance, and being first in the stat charts is not all that it matters? The perfect score on both ends needs the blend of top notch athleticism and footballing quality. I maintain what I am thinking that, even though stats show what you post, our pressing is hit and miss and just recently Spurs were able to carve through our entire line up with ease, without the likes of Son and other crucial first teamers.

And brining Onana has done zero benefit except the blunders IMO. His supposed skillset I think is overstated and even if I am wrong has zero benefit to the team when you still have players like we have in the more crucial positions up front.

lex talionis

Mates, after how he has performed this season we won’t be able offload Onana even on a free transfer. The best move in the short run is to make sure he gets psychological counseling and training on basic goalkeeping skills. I would add some fitness work as well, although I don’t see anything “tubby” about him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If you seriously think that Ronaldo pressed more than Hojlund, you need your eyes checked. That's an incredible take. I can understand you saying more than Martial although even that is probably wrong, but Hojlund?

And how the hell was his treatment shite? Ronaldo demanded to leave and refused to join preseason before he even met ETH. He had his agent flying all over Europe trying to find any team to take him, and then proceeded to fire his agent when he couldn't find one. Then when Ronaldo finally deigned to join the team at the start of the season he was unbelievably shit. Wout was better than him in 22/23, and no that isn't an exaggeration. ETH played him far more than his performances deserved, so to say that ETH treated him shite is ridiculous.

frostbite

If your car has problems and you pay 50 thousand to get a new car that actually has more problems, you'd wish to have your old car and the 50k in your account instead.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Seems Cameron people have already made a decision regarding Onana. ETH has a very tough decision to make.

Onana and Antony are such a dark cloud over ETH.

Zed is not dead

He should have stayed retired Internationally. I feel like the international shambles has really messed with his head. Being there and not playing is doing him no good either.
To be fair he’s partly responsible for the international shambles. He’s the one who had a falling out with the national head coach and was expelled form the world cup by his own team last year, and then he said he would retire.

Zed is not dead

Epic hissy fit! :lol:
C’mon mate it’s just facts.

I was pretty surprised during the WC that he was actually asked to leave his NT, because it’s usually a pretty big deal.
Last time something similar happened was Anelka with Domenech in 2010 and the country was on a collective rage against Anelka.

Onana had a fallout with his coach because of tactical issues and was asked to leave. He could’ve laid low and issue a mea culpa to get back into the team but decided to retire. Before unretiring. And then missing the first game with his NT.
You can’t act like he’s completely blameless in the situation he now finds himself with his NT

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It’s shocking that he was dropped, but it’s not like they upgraded him.

mu4c_20le

Really don't understand why he unretired, only to make a last minute u-turn and stay for another game, missing the start of the tournament. He only has himself to blame.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
C’mon mate it’s just facts.

I was pretty surprised during the WC that he was actually asked to leave his NT, because it’s usually a pretty big deal.
Last time something similar happened was Anelka with Domenech in 2010 and the country was on a collective rage against Anelka.

Onana had a fallout with his coach because of tactical issues and was asked to leave. He could’ve laid low and issue a mea culpa to get back into the team but decided to retire. Before unretiring. And then missing the first game with his NT.
You can’t act like he’s completely blameless in the situation he now finds himself with his NT
No of course not. I wonder if you misunderstood me? I meant the hissy fit was Onana’s, throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn’t like his managers tactical instructions at a WC finals. You have to question his attitude on that one.
I think he was focused on club football with Inter, knowing he wouldn’t get a call up. I think the recall has messed with his head and his form has taken a dip as a result.

Zed is not dead

No of course not. I wonder if you misunderstood me? I meant the hissy fit was Onana’s, throwing his toys out of the pram because he didn’t like his managers tactical instructions at a WC finals. You have to question his attitude on that one.
I think he was focused on club football with Inter, knowing he wouldn’t get a call up. I think the recall has messed with his head and his form has taken a dip as a result.
Oh my bad mate, I thought you were saying I had a hissy fit :lol: