Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt23

As others have said his appearance against Liverpool summed up his season fairly well. He was pretty awful when it came to doing what the team needed from him, but created two goal scoring chances. There's definitely a world class player in there, but whether we can get the best out of him in our system, in this league, is doubtful imo.

Personally, if I was picking the team I'd leave him out, but I'd probably be one of those boring managers that nobody likes anyway.

prarek

Madness to even consider selling him. Not have the best of seasons but his quality in undeniable. Its not like he has had the luxury of playing in an already settled team either. We're in transition. Patience.

buckooo1978

crazy to even consider selling... The guys a class act and I think we'll see a return to form before the season is out

Look at Fellaini... Now one of Europe's top goalscoring midfield dynamos

siw2007

Definitely keep hold of him for now. If he hands in a transfer request then we might have to think about it but I think we have to have some faith that with the summer break, it will click with him next season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
rather have cesc. no doubts. half the dosh twice the player.
The 2 players really aren't comparable much at all, tbh. Fabregas would have been mint next to Cadrick, but I'm fairly happy with Herrera.

Also, I'm the biggest matches, Fabregas would have been used as a 10, which would only compound our problems more, than resolve it. We needed pace desperately. A fairer comparison would probably have been with Sanchez, who's been better this season, no doubt.

Let's hope AdM settles and reaches his level next season/end of his season.

mu77

The 2 players really aren't comparable much at all, tbh. Fabregas would have been mint next to Cadrick, but I'm fairly happy with Herrera.

Also, I'm the biggest matches, Fabregas would have been used as a 10, which would only compound our problems more, than resolve it. We needed pace desperately. A fairer comparison would probably have been with Sanchez, who's been better this season, no doubt.

Let's hope AdM settles and reaches his level next season/end of his season.
not saying they are just saying i'd have him over ADM - easy too , not even a flinch. i'd have cesc over sancheese too.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
rather have cesc. no doubts. half the dosh twice the player.
Not entirely correct.
1) They're not comparable, given they play in different positions for two different teams.
2) di Maria contributes a goal or assist every 107.9 minutes in the league; Cesc contribute a goal or assist every 123.7

Cesc is not twice the player di Maria is.

Red_Beans

Crazy to sell any player after one season. Don't care if he cost 1 million or 100 million. It's incredibly short sighted to not give a player a second crack.

And to be thinking of 'value' and 'recouping costs' is demeaning to a club like Utd.
Look where all those years 'looking for value' under fergie left us

Give him another year, if after that we want to move him on for 10 mill so be it.

Provided of course he wants to stay. And there is nothing but speculation to prove otherwise

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hope he gets the start. Back from national duty and should be fired up for a performance in front of all the fans at Old Trafford and to prove himself for the City game a fixture after.

mu77

Not entirely correct.
1) They're not comparable, given they play in different positions for two different teams.
2) di Maria contributes a goal or assist every 107.9 minutes in the league; Cesc contribute a goal or assist every 123.7
Cesc is not twice the player di Maria is.
so they only play football in the offensive half of the pitch? that's odd. could've swore there's a halfway line. just my opinion. and i didn't say it was a like for like just who i'd like.

Di Maria's angel

so they only play football in the offensive half of the pitch? that's odd. could've swore there's a halfway line. just my opinion. and i didn't say it was a like for like just who i'd like.
You said "half the dosh twice the player", which is a comparison, and in football you wouldn't compare two players playing in different positions, as that would make no sense.

Would much rather have Sherbets over Mangos, as the former are considerably cheaper...

mu77

You said "half the dosh twice the player", which is a comparison, and in football you wouldn't compare two players playing in different positions, as that would make no sense.

Would much rather have Sherbets over Mangos, as the former are considerably cheaper...
mango sherbet we all win , given the opportunity would you have ADM or the other guy for half the money?

Di Maria's angel

mango sherbet we all win , given the opportunity would you have ADM or the other guy for half the money?
At his best, di Maria is a far better threat offensively and more suited to us than Fabregas. So I'd take di Maria over Cesc.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Hope he gets the start. Back from national duty and should be fired up for a performance in front of all the fans at Old Trafford and to prove himself for the City game a fixture after.
Should be but won't be. More likely will mope about knowing he's still getting a fortune but wishing he was at Real Madrid.

Hit It

I would really like to know how many crosses that resulted in goals in open play he managed to make in his final season at Madrid, because I'm sure it must have been quite a few but I think that's the one thing that's disappointed me about Di Maria this season. I always thought he would struggle physically and would need time to adapt but he's put alot of crosses in and the delivery has been subpar. You could put that down to a lack of height in the team which is a fair argument but I've watched almost every match this season and alot of his crosses seem to me a bit gung-ho.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I would really like to know how many crosses that resulted in goals in open play he managed to make in his final season at Madrid

he's put alot of crosses in and the delivery has been subpar. I've watched almost every match this season and alot of his crosses seem to me a bit gung-ho.

Always helps when you've got Ronaldo in the box who can leap like a kangaroo and wins tons of headers. Also benzema is decent with his head too.

On second part I agree it's incredibly frustrating watching him cross a ball he's worse than tony v, remember that infamous cross/shot he did earlier on, can't believe any United fan thought that was a cross it was a blatent miss hit shot.

Trizy

I have to admit I'd think about it if PSG offered money, he's been in horrible form for a while now its hard to remember how brilliant he is. Remember his first few games? feck me...

If he settles in, plays his best football and we add quality in the summer to our already ''clicked'' squad in theory we'll challenge for everything.

Ekeke

I think the smart thing to do with PSG is insist that we get one of their top players plus cash if they want their man. Veratti or Lucas Moura + a certain amount and you can have him. If you don't want to lose one of your most talented players, dont try to take one of ours

They would most likely not be interested and we could move on

the hea

There is no doubt that Di Maria has been very productive so far and he is probably one of our best players if you look at players highest level. The main problem with Di Maria is his decision making he needs to get better at releasing the ball early when he is in no position to create something. If he can cut out some of these silly decisions and stop giving the ball away as much as he does we will have a world class player in him.

Ekeke

ADM is clearly our creative spark, but thats also by design as everyone else looks like they've had creativity beaten out of them while Di Maria looks free to try and create a chance every time he gets the ball.

While he has created plenty, he's also given the ball away or wasted far more oppertunities than the other players in the league that have created a lot. For example you look at the other players with a large amount of assists this season and from the top 6 only Di Maria is in the 70s (77) for percentage of accurate passes. And despite attempting to cross the ball almost every time he gets it, he's found a teammate with his crosses 1.7 times per match on average, less than 4 other players and the same as Ashley Young who hasn't needed half as many attempts.

In actuality his return is rather mediocre and that still doesnt change that he has been our creative spark, but he could clearly have done a lot better. Especially as often very poor first touches from Di Maria cancel our attacks

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fellaini is the result of having too many pussies in midfield. He brings physicality that we need to bring some balance in midfield. Hence why I want Carrick to be replaced with someone whose more defensive minded. It would allow us to release both Herrera and Di Maria in CM.
Do you think that Di Maria is a CM in a team who base his football on possession ?

JPRouve

Scout
Once he settles down I bet he would be a much better passer then Fellaini.
I think that a lot of players (in form) are better than Fellaini, but they aren't all suited for the role he plays for us, he makes good choices and take great care of the ball. Di Maria is a player who is able to create out of nothing but to do that he needs a great number of failed attempts.
I feel that Di Maria in CM, is a source of disruption for the entire team when the team try to be possession based, if we were a counter attacking team, he would be perfect for us.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He would give the ball away more. Though he would also set-up a lot more goals. Double-edged sword really.
Well this is Fellaini second season with us and we all remember how he fared last season. Would it be better if we wait next season and see how Di Maria would fare once he settled down? Also the current midfield cannot support both Di Maria AND Herrera.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that a lot of players (in form) are better than Fellaini, but they aren't all suited for the role he plays for us, he makes good choices and take great care of the ball. Di Maria is a player who is able to create out of nothing but to do that he needs a great number of failed attempts.
I feel that Di Maria in CM, is a source of disruption for the entire team when the team try to be possession based, if we were a counter attacking team, he would be perfect for us.
Hence why I believe that the midfield need to change. Fellaini is a nice lad but he sticks like a sore thumb in our midfield. Its like seeing Nolan in Barcelona's midfield or Scholes in Stoke's. There again, we are playing him because we need him. We lack the physicality that Fellaini provides.

Now imagine this entire revolutionary concept that is surely a first in football. What about bringing in a DM who can actually provide that physical impetus to the team. That would pave the way to having creative midfielders who are actually creative and technically gifted. I know its so mad that its almost impossible to imagine. I mean who would have thought of having defenders and DMs who can actually defend and win the ball and creative minded players who are more known for their creativity, vision and technique rather than on how much they can physically bully their opponents and head the ball?

I know I am wasted at redcafe. By now I should be leading Manchester United or Real.

JPRouve

Scout
Hence why I believe that the midfield need to change. Fellaini is a nice lad but he sticks like a sore thumb in our midfield. Its like seeing Nolan in Barcelona's midfield or Scholes in Stoke's. There again, we are playing him because we need him. We lack the physicality that Fellaini provides.

Now imagine this entire revolutionary concept that is surely a first in football. What about bringing in a DM which actually provides that physical impetus to the team. That would pave the way to having creative midfielders who are actually creative and technically gifted. I know its so mad that its almost impossible to imagine. I mean who would have thought of having defenders and DMs who can actually defend and win the ball and creative minded players who are more known for their creativity, vision and technique rather than on how much they can physically bully their opponents and head the ball?
I understand you, at least I think I do, but Di Maria isn't the solution. Like Robben isn't a second striker for Bayern, Di Maria isn't a CM for us.

Di Maria played brilliantly in a system where he wasn't really a CM, he was a left midfielder who started his runs from inside to outside, he was playing for a team who was counter attacking and he had for mission to develop a trio with Marcelo and Ronaldo, on the left.
And I don't think that we should copy Madrid's system because of Di Maria, since he wasn't their best player, Modric, Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Pepe and Benzema were all better than him.

We are a team who base his game on possession, we don't counter attack, we need CMs who can disrupt the opposition positioning through passes. In our system Di Maria is a member of the front three, in that system he has all the freedom that need if we reinforce the midfield, with a better #8.

Basically do you think that Di Maria can be a CM for Barcelona or will he be a winger for them ? I think that he will never be an option for them at all, because he is to far from their philosophy, who is very close from Van gaal's own philosophy.

Man Utd 3:1 Aston Villa

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
With the lineup of Young, Herrera, Mata and Valencia working well, I don't think there's much hope for him this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They aren't working that well. At his best he is better than any of them also, so I'm sure he has a smidgen of hope.

dirkey

With the lineup of Young, Herrera, Mata and Valencia working well, I don't think there's much hope for him this season.
Completely jumping the gun. A lot of football yet to be played, so much can happen.

Di Maria's angel

They aren't working that well. At his best he is better than any of them also, so I'm sure he has a smidgen of hope.
Agree with this. We're 1-0 up at home to a rubbish Villa. Think he's still got a chance, as we've certainly not blown them away with our attacking play.

Wade3

It doesn't matter as long as the team works best with the other four on the pitch. I'm as pissed off as anybody about the di Maria situation for various reasons, but it is what it is.

Wade3

Completely jumping the gun. A lot of football yet to be played, so much can happen.
It's not jumping the gun when there's evidence from several games now that our team as it currently plays has been at its best.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not jumping the gun when there's evidence from several games now that our team as it currently plays has been at its best.
2 games? He actually played well vs Arsenal (before he got sent off) very much jumping the gun.
He isn't starting today (rightly so) as Young has been playing well, but he will get his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.