Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
Yes, we have heard the tales about Di Maria's magical 13/14 season, some people even witnessed It, but that isn't really relevant right now.

The question was asked as a result of the team finding the right balance without Di Maria not with the intention of definitely discarding Di Maria, he has been an ok player this season and his assists have been key but will he really be missed?

The plan was to get top 4 and find a system that would enable us to contend next season and that is exactly what LVG has done, and he has been able to achieve it without his best player.

Regarding his transfer fee, I don't see us getting the 60m back, since we can all agree we overpaid. We would be lucky to find a buyer for 40m, I don't think its possible.
Fair enough here. I disagree with you though, especially on us being lucky to get £40 million for him. In my opinion there's no chance we'd take less than £50 million for him even if we were stupid enough to sell. I think he'll be back to his old self next year, not that he's been bad this year mind you.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It will be interesting to see if he can become disciplined enough for Van Gaal while still maintaining the explosiveness that is fundamental to the best parts of his game.

Couldn't care less about the money, keep him. If it doesn't work out the agents will sort it.
Surely we wouldn't have purchased him if van Gaal didn't think di Maria would not fit into his philosophy? Especially, given that we spent £60m on him.

What's going on with di Maria is very similar to the situations Mata and Herrera found themselves in, not too long ago. As it was then, the same ridiculous questions and assumptions keep popping up: will we sell Herrera? Why did we buy Herrera? Mata is not good enough to start away from home, we will sell him. They don't fit into the philosophy. Yet both disproved everyone, and people seem to learn very little from their mistakes. We won't be selling di Maria for £35 or £50 million, players of his calibre aren't available every season. If you visit the transfer threads, people speak about purchasing Bale, a player who's quite similar to our number 7, will he not suffer from the same issues as di Maria? Most flair players will struggle to become accustomed to a new style, but you don't throw them away and buy a new, shiny toy; we'll become the club we absolutely despise. (This rant isn't aimed at you)

Roman Bellic

Prick
By that logic, we probably shouldn't buy in the summer, as it may "tamper with team chemistry". As well as Young has played, recently, di Maria is an obvious upgrade and will probably take over, come next season. Just as we will probably replace Valencia, Carrick, and Fellaini with better players. So, no, we shouldn't sell him.
The question wasn't necessarily about selling Di Maria, but more about its impact to the team, but yeah thanks for your contribution.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Fair enough here. I disagree with you though, especially on us being lucky to get £40 million for him. In my opinion there's no chance we'd take less than £50 million for him even if we were stupid enough to sell. I think he'll be back to his old self next year, not that he's been bad this year mind you.
What team in Europe would pay £40m for him though? realistically..... again not advocating his sale.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Surely we wouldn't have purchased him if van Gaal didn't think di Maria would not fit into his philosophy? Especially, given that we spent £60m on him.

What's going on with di Maria is very similar to the situations Mata and Herrera found themselves in, not too long ago. As it was then, the same ridiculous questions and assumptions keep popping up: will we sell Herrera? Why did we buy Herrera? Mata is not good enough to start away from home, we will sell him. They don't fit into the philosophy. Yet both disproved everyone, and people seem to learn very little from their mistakes. We won't be selling di Maria for £35 or £50 million, players of his calibre aren't available every season. If you visit the transfer threads, people speak about purchasing Bale, a player who's quite similar to our number 7, will he not suffer from the same issues as di Maria? Most flair players will struggle to become accustomed to a new style, but you don't throw them away and buy a new, shiny toy; we'll become the club we absolutely despise. (This rant isn't aimed at you)
I'm sur he can fit in, my concern is that his best football came as a midfielder running at defenders and taking chances. It will be interesting to see what heights he can achieve when he fully adapts to Van Gaalball.

Devil may care

Nevs analysis of our attacking play on MNF last night did make me wonder how someone like Di Maria would ever be able to fit in with what LvG demands. Di Maria is a traditional maverick winger, lots of risk and minimal discipline, you either accept it or he's not the player for you, not sure how him and LvG will find a middle ground given how demanding LvG seems to be.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm sur he can fit in, my concern is that his best football came as a midfielder running at defenders and taking chances. It will be interesting to see what heights he can achieve when he fully adapts to Van Gaalball.
I'm sure he will be fine. Robben and Ribery performed quite well during van Gaal's reign, for Bayern (and Netherlands). Messi, Pedro and Sanchez did just fine (or abnormally well) for Barcelona when Guardiola was manager. All the players named are your typical flair players who are characterised by their insistence on running at opposition players and taking more risks than others; and they've all excelled when playing under a manager keen on possession based football.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Nevs analysis of our attacking play on MNF last night did make me wonder how someone like Di Maria would ever be able to fit in with what LvG demands. Di Maria is a traditional maverick winger, lots of risk and minimal discipline, you either accept it or he's not the player for you, not sure how him and LvG will find a middle ground given how demanding LvG seems to be.
This has been said many times before, there is some truth in that Di Maria needs to change a little to fit in. Overall though, van Gaal always used players who have freedom to use individual quality. Robben and Ribery at Bayern for example.

He doesn't have to keep possesion all the time, that's not his job. He needs to make things happen and therefore can lose the ball in acceptable places. In a rigid, well drilled system a risk taking Di Maria could be devastating. He needs to learn where and when to take these risks though and not always go for goal if he's in a dangerous position.

Sparky Rhiwabon

What on earth do we do with Angel? We can't keep a £60m player on the bench or for cameo roles but we also don't want to take a big loss on him.

Chelsea 1:0 Man Utd

justboy68

Time for him to come on and create a goal for us as he does practically every time he is on the pitch. We knocked the ball around great in that half but didn't really have any end product. Should any of us be surprised though when you leave out your most productive players for those who have very little end product? Young was great in the last game so understandably starts in this one, but the stats tell you that the last game was an exception for him make no mistake, in general we'd be better off with Angel. Then there is Falcao... he should be in Angel's spot on the bench (if that) with Rooney up front without any doubt.

::sonny::

200 injuries, still on the bench

If I was him I would already asked to leave and refused to go on the bench.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
We weren't saying that when he was at Madrid or at the beginning of our season. Nevertheless, I find that comment to be pretty harsh on Di Maria when we all know he has the ability to influence game as much as Hazard does.
Was better than hazard last season. And performed in bigger games such as the cl final.
Last season, at Madrid.

What's he done lately?

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
What is wrong with him? Can't seem to get the simple passes right but can execute the more audacious ones.

Empire

Watching that game and our attack unable to unlock Chelsea's defence, he was the one player I wanted on the pitch and that's why despite all of his weaknesses I think he should be a starter.

Blind-Young-Fellaini worked as a unit as did Valencia-Mata-Herrera but both were broken today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What is wrong with him? Can't seem to get the simple passes right but can execute the more audacious ones.
Hes not a playmaker. Simple as. Madrid used him perfectly. Hes all about running at defenders, crossing and inventive passing.

Empire

I don't get it either but hopefully Louis van Gaal will identify the issue and solve it next season.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
LVG needs to play him in his best position or we will get Nani esq performances

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Perfect example of stats being complete bollocks.
Perfect example of a bollocks point. Hes a new player in a new league. Give him a break ffs. Let's see hazard be stunning in big champions league games including a final shall we before belittling our own players.

drdoityourself

He's been a little bit hung out to dry in this one. Young's success has been largely down to a good overlapping fullback opening things up for him. With Blackett coming on, he was one against two, waiting for an overlap that wasn't coming.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Di Maria had a great season with Madrid, he should never be criticised, he gets a pass.

Who are we to talk ill about a player that was great in the CL final, criticise the whole squad except Di Maria - it's a new league and a new country ( for Sanchez too).

Status
Not open for further replies.