Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

Its amazing how people are ready to throw players of quality like Di Maria just because they dont perform right NOW.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Are people not meant to criticise a quality player for under performing?
One thing to criticise, another to say he should be sold etc in the summer.

EDIT: Not directed at you

sunama

Baghdad Bob
An interesting article by Robbie Savage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31738779

I do agree with much of what he has said.
In a nutshell, he has been getting progressively worse and that perhaps he is not cut out for the PL.

I realise that his supporters are stating that he needs more time. I want to remind people that when you pay big money, a club (and fans) expect immediate impact.
An 18 year old, can be given time to grow/adapt/improve.
A 26 year old who is supposedly at the peak of his powers, has to prove himself immediately. Every successful big money player has had immediate impact - there is no exception to this rule.

In fact Di Maria did make immediate impact - scoring/creating goals in his first few games. But as the season wore on, he has lost form, which doesnt support the theory that he needs more time.
If time was the issue, he would've struggled in the first few games and would've got progressively better - not worse.

Looking at the statistics and progression - I dont think this guy is going to improve...but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

There are 3 things to consider:

1. can the club afford to have such a huge financial investment tied up in a player who is struggling?
2. can a player, for his own sake, for his own career, afford to be in a place of employment, where his reputation/skill/ability is progressively being degraded?
3. can the club win trophies, when they have an important player on the pitch, who is performing badly?

When fans are suggesting that he should be sold - they are not trying to be nasty, but are making an informed/calculated decision that is best for the club and also the player's career.

I really do think that that American players just aren't cut out for our league and we should stick with European players.

Last edited:

Roman Bellic

Prick

EDIT: Not directed at you
Think that has more to do with the notion that he is unhappy at United, i mean even before we signed him, it always seemed like he was headed for Paris and he only chose us because we were willing to overpay and make him our star player + the #7 shirt, I can understand why certain fans might feel that way, when you factor in the language barrier,new environment,break in attempt and the underwhelming (by his standards) performances it all seems like a disaster to be very honest (not saying it is).

I am under the impression that he is still one of the best players in the world and should be given more time, it would be foolish to let him go after 1 season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

In a nutshell, he has been getting progressively worse and that perhaps he is not cut out for the PL.

I realise that his supporters are stating that he needs more time. I want to remind people that when you pay big money, a club (and fans) expect immediate impact.
A 26 year old who is supposedly at the peak of his powers, has to prove himself immediately. Every successful big money player has had immediate impact - there is no exception to this rule.

In fact Di Maria did make immediate impact - scoring/creating goals in his first few games. But as the season wore on, he has lost form, which doesnt support the theory that he needs more time.
If time was the issue, he would've struggled in the first few games and would've got progressively better - not worse.

Looking at the statistics and progression - I dont think this guy is going to improve...but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
I'm not sure about that. I guess it depends how you define "big money". David Silva cost City a fair whack and improved a lot in his second season. I'm sure there are more examples if you think about it. How about Essien at Chelsea?

Roman Bellic

Prick

There are 3 things to consider:

1. can the club afford to have such a huge financial investment tied up in a player who is struggling?
2. can a player, for his own sake, for his own career, afford to be in a place of employment, where his reputation/skill/ability is progressively being degraded?
3. can the club win trophies, when they have an important player on the pitch, who is performing badly?

When fans are suggesting that he should be sold - they are not trying to be nasty, but are making an informed/calculated decision that is best for the club and also the player's career.

I really do think that that American players just aren't cut out for our league and we should stick with European players.
Funny you should say this after agreeing with an Article that mentions a thriving "American player" in Sanchez, not to mention Aguero,Tevez and Suarez i don't think it has anything to do with a players nationality.

lifted

I'm not sure about that. I guess it depends how you define "big money". David Silva cost City a fair whack and improved a lot in his second season. I'm sure there are more examples if you think about it. How about Essien at Chelsea?
Also, Drogba at Chelsea.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The problem with Di Maria is he is skinny and not strong. In the english game where more physical challenges are allowed he hasn't quite got to grasp with it. Stronger players like Tevez, Aguero and Sanchez don't have that problem, as they're used to that already. I do think Di Maria will eventually adapt and get used too it though.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
It's funny when you watch the post-match discussion on Sky or BT (or wherever) and one of the pundits will say something like "Every successful big money player has had immediate impact - there is no exception to this rule", then the next day you're almost certain to find a bunch of people saying the exact same thing. This place seems to just regurgitate shite somtimes.

Oh yeah, and Robbie Savage is a shockjock cnut.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The problem with Di Maria is he is skinny and not strong. In the english game where more physical challenges are allowed he hasn't quite got to grasp with it. Stronger players like Tevez, Aguero and Sanchez don't have that problem, as they're used to that already. I do think Di Maria will eventually adapt and get used too it though.
I don't see how him being skinny has to do with his admittedly poor performances recently. His problem is he is sloppy in his passes the past few games. I don't see him constantly being barged off the ball more than him misplacing passes. I think he is struggling in confidence. Its more a mental thing.

pseudo_canadian

He needs to bulk up a bit. Just look how much muscle Januzaj has put on since last season.

But yes, I think he will adapt and be fine.

Super Nani

So important he has a good game tonight, I think he will be just fine but if he's subbed off again it will really knock his confidence. Obviously it's up to him to step up and find the form we all saw at the start of the season when he was tearing teams apart.

roykeane19

Athletico Madrid are probably even rougher than any english team, yet he ripped their defence a new one in the CL final, think its more of a mentality problem

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Athletico Madrid are probably even rougher than any english team, yet he ripped their defence a new one in the CL final, think its more of a mentality problem
Yes, but then they were always more open games with him being able to run and dribble, using his agility to avoid tackles. Against defence that are sat deep and doubling up he ends up getting marked much tighter and then pushed about.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The thing he needs more than anything in order to make his mark is speedy counters and space to run.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Yes, but then they were always more open games with him being able to run and dribble, using his agility to avoid tackles. Against defence that are sat deep and doubling up he ends up getting marked much tighter and then pushed about.
Not sure about that. Atletico were/are purely counter attacking in nature when facing Real or Barca. The same way most teams we face every week set up against us (not expecting Arsenal to do that, obviously).

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
The thing he needs more than anything in order to make his mark is speedy counters and space to run.
Cazorla, ozil and Coquelin is the perfect midfield for him to attack and run at. Plenty of space there.

too bad he is playing up front on the right... gonna be a good battle vs Gibbs.

edit. still think he gonna be good tonight. cmon angelito!!
edit2. it seems lineups are still not confirmed

Last edited:

R'hllor

Are people not meant to criticise a quality player for under performing?
Its one thing to criticise a player,its another dropping bs,like he is unhappy and he is going to be sold,or mentioning transfer fee,how we wasted 60 mil. like he is on a loan for 60 mil. or something.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Its one thing to criticise a player,its another dropping bs,like he is unhappy and he is going to be sold,or mentioning transfer fee,how we wasted 60 mil. like he is on a loan for 60 mil. or something.
I am not in support of every single criticism towards Di Maria but i can understand how some fans might be frustrated by our record signing's underwhelming performances.

Sam

What happened to the Di Maria who puts in a massive shift every match? :confused:

He looks dead on his feet tonight.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Strange performance in a way. He's often looked nervous to take on his man, but nevertheless his crossing has been excellent tonight. Deserved his assist for Rooney's goal, and he's put a few dangerous balls into the box. Arsenal seem to be struggling to cope with it a little bit.

mu4c_20le

I'd like to see him stay out wide. Give him lots of space and freedom to do what he does best and he can be dangerous. It hasn't all come off for him tonight but he's looked miles better than in his last few matches.

NinjaFletch

He's been fecking fantastic tonight, with the exception of the fact that he needs to take responsibility for the Arsenal goal.

Zoo

I'd like to see him and Young swap now and again. Particularly with Bellerin on a yellow, Di Maria's dribbling could cause the young fullback trouble.

Count Orduck

Great cross, but he's also given the ball away a shitload. Plus their goal came from him just not bothering to be arsed defending.

Devil may care

His delivery has been good but he looks like he's tripping over his own feet when he tries to run with the ball at the moment.

dirkey

He's been fecking fantastic tonight, with the exception of the fact that he needs to take responsibility for the Arsenal goal.
Hmm, not sure I agree. I think he's been maddeningly inconsistent. Outstanding stuff one minute, terrible the next. Overall more good than bad though. But fantastic I don't think so.

Brilliant ball for the goal though, and another great one earlier for Fellaini.

Shark

@NotShark
I think he's been brilliant. A constant threat with his delivery. Losing possession is the type of player he is, not that I agree with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.