g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Angel Di Maria image 7

Angel Di Maria Argentina flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
One thing I took from watching the game live is the amount of times he asks for the ball and doesn't receive it. Herrera, Blind and Fellaini would pick the ball up in the centre of the pitch, and ADM would be out wide right screaming for it but they are reluctant to try a difficult ball, but in reality it's only a 30 yard diagonal ball to his feet, most of the time there's no need to even take out the defender. Give it ADM's feet and let him do that, instead he's coming too short for the ball and then trying to hard.

With players like Scholes and Carrick in the team, our wingers received the ball much higher up the pitch and could target the full-back one on one but at the minute, ADM is receiving it on the half way line and expecting to make things happen, if he got it in the final third with pace on the ball so he has momentum to beat his man then I'm sure he could do that easily enough either on the outside or cutting inside. Getting the ball deep means he's doubled up on, there was a few times where he beat Taylor with ease but Sissoko was tracking back or Coloccini would come across and clear up the danger.
I noticed the same a few times and was wondering if it's because they expect him to lose the ball in his current form.

Dion

I noticed the same a few times and was wondering if it's because they expect him to lose the ball in his current form.
There's absolutely no way a player doesn't give the ball to the player in the best position because he doesn't trust him, it's ridiculous.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Since I play football, there always were player I didn’t gave the ball. Whether they were not good enough or I dislike them. I think that this kind of things happens in football.

In my current team, there’s a winger (a copy of Ronaldo, we call him CR2…) he’s so bad but thinks that he’s so good, I give him the ball only when he can’t lose it and I never give him the ball because I know that instead of crossing, shooting, playing the right way, he will try to do step overs, tricks from lower league and lower brain things.

For United, I really think that players with big personality such as Van Nistelrooy didn’t gave the ball to Ronaldo on purpose. It’s because they were not friend at all and didn’t had technical relationships. We can say the same for Scholesy. Would he wanted to give the ball the Liam Miller or Djemba*2 ?

Today, I guess that some players will not give the ball to Di Maria because he loses it too many times.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Since I play football, there always were player I didn’t gave the ball. Whether they were not good enough or I dislike them. I think that this kind of things happens in football.

In my current team, there’s a winger (a copy of Ronaldo, we call him CR2…) he’s so bad but thinks that he’s so good, I give him the ball only when he can’t lose it and I never give him the ball because I know that instead of crossing, shooting, playing the right way, he will try to do step overs, tricks from lower league and lower brain things.

For United, I really think that players with big personality such as Van Nistelrooy didn’t gave the ball to Ronaldo on purpose. It’s because they were not friend at all and didn’t had technical relationships. We can say the same for Scholesy. Would he wanted to give the ball the Liam Miller or Djemba*2 ?

Today, I guess that some players will not give the ball to Di Maria because he loses it too many times.
So what's everybody elses excuse?.... because the whole fecking team, every player keeps losing the ball it's only more apparant with ADM because he cost 59m and we expect him to do something with it.

Adebesi

It would surprise me if this kind of thing was going on to any serious degree at the PL level. If the manager noticed it he would surely be looking to stamp it out, it would detract from the efficient functioning of the team if there were players intentionally not passing it to other players. Is there any evidence to substantiate this claim that Van Nistelrooy didnt pass to Ronaldo, or Scholes didnt pass it to Miller? Because I have never heard about it if there is. It is for the manager to decide who has the requisite quality to play in his team, or to instruct a player if he isnt passing it quickly enough. Once the manager has picked a team and put it out, the players have to trust his selection and play as a team.

Even players who have well documented enmity, like Cole and Sherringham, left that in the dressing room. There was no hint of it on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

With all due respect, that's a really terrible attitude. The basics of any competitive team sport (in anything other than a really poor quality league) is to have faith in each of the other positions in the team. Without that, it's impossible to function as an effective team.

Don't think this is true at all.

Pogue Mahone

So what's everybody elses excuse?.... because the whole fecking team, every player keeps losing the ball it's only more apparant with ADM because he cost 59m and we expect him to do something with it.
He loses it much more than everyone else. That's just a fact. Against Newcastle almost every outfield player for United was completing nearly 90% of their passes. Di Maria completed just over 60% of his.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He loses it more than anyone else because he's the only player in the side with complete creative freedom, the only other player who attempts risky passes is Rooney, and it's the pass out to Valencia on the right that we've seen for years now.

Pogue Mahone

He loses it more than anyone else because he's the only player in the side with complete creative freedom, the only other player who attempts risky passes is Rooney, and it's the pass out to Valencia on the right that we've seen for years now.
No. That's just making excuses. He wasn't just losing the ball when he tried high risk passes. He was making a pigs ear of simple, sideways passes. Dunno what's going on but he was fecking shite against Newcastle.

KiD MoYeS

No. That's just making excuses. He wasn't just losing the ball when he tried high risk passes. He was making a pigs ear of simple, sideways passes. Dunno what's going on but he was fecking shite against Newcastle.
He's been shite for a while, but I'd still expect him to have a higher percentage of lost balls to our other players, even when he's playing well. Like I said, it's pretty obvious he's the one with creative freedom in the side, he doesn't have a fixed position and is one of the few players who attempts anything other than a simple sideways five yard pass.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He wasnt "fecking shite" against Newcastle. It wasnt a vintage performance but he and Valencia were the only elements in our play that created something and brought pace into our otherwise slow and predictable play

Pogue Mahone

He's been shite for a while, but I'd still expect him to have a higher percentage of lost balls to our other players, even when he's playing well. Like I said, it's pretty obvious he's the one with creative freedom in the side, he doesn't have a fixed position and is one of the few players who attempts anything other than a simple sideways five yard pass.
Ok, yeah, I'd agree with that. Our creative players have historically always had a lower pass completion % than the rest of the team. I disagree that he's the only player allowed to be creative, though. Rooney and Young would have both also had creative freedom in the formation we played. Fellaini too, to an extent. In fact, defenders aside, the only two players who would have probably been briefed to be conservative would have been Blind and Hererra.

That said, it speaks volumes about Di Maria's contribution that Valencia (at fullback) wasn't much less of a creative force (while completing >90% of his passes)

KiD MoYeS

The talent is there anyway, hopefully as the pace of our play improves we'll begin to see the best of him again.

He is an assist machine.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Question is do we start him against Arsenal? I was all for him being dropped against Newcastle before being brought back against Arsenal with a slight kick up his arse. Now I'm not sure as his pace would be extremely useful against Arsenal's generally high defence but he doesn't deserve to have his spot in the team ahead of Young or Januzaj

KiD MoYeS

We should definitely start him against Arsenal, unless he isn't 100% fit. He's still a magician, he's still shown glimpses of absolute brilliance during this period.

Pogue Mahone

Question is do we start him against Arsenal? I was all for him being dropped against Newcastle before being brought back against Arsenal with a slight kick up his arse. Now I'm not sure as his pace would be extremely useful against Arsenal's generally high defence but he doesn't deserve to have his spot in the team ahead of Young or Januzaj
I'm all for picking on form and was wondering if he deserved to start against Newcastle. That said, neither Young nor Januzaj made a really convincing case of their own in that game. So yeah, I'd start Di Maria. Who knows? It could be the trigger for a renaissance similar to Nani's against the same opposition. Dunno about Manchester but spring is in the air in Dublin. Maybe a hint of sunshine is all it needs for him to find his mojo again?!?

Shark

@NotShark
Without a doubt, yes. Odds are we'll be playing on the counter against Arsenal, which will suit him.

Ekeke

No its more apparent because he gives it away with careless passes or by trying to take on too many players

NoPace

If we don't think he'll snap out of this funk in time for Arsenal, just start him on the left and let him run up the line and hit crosses.

-------Rooney------
DiMaria-Mata-Herrera
----Blind-Carrick----

Would be how I'd play it, or Herrera at the 10 and Young on the right.

Empire

I understand a player who has bad decision making but Angel di Maria doesn't seem to do the wrong thing at the wrong time perhaps other than a handful of games where he was shooting on sight but that he hasn't been doing as of late, his decisions don't seem to be a problem that is to say he dribbles when it is the right moment and he does simple passes when he needs or tries a more risky pass too when it's the right time.

His execution just seems to be a lottery, whether it is when he is taking on a player or playing a simple pass or trying a more risky pass, sometimes it's amazing and sometimes it's terrible. I don't understand it, it's like how can somebody so good at free kicks be so bad at corners.

He needs to somehow stop messing up so often and like I said I don't think it's a problem with decision making but consistency in his execution. The thing is when he has such excellent dribbles, crosses, passes and defence splitting passes surely it isn't that hard not to mess up so often.

I'd expect more of it because he did this at Real Madrid.

Needham

Gary Neville in the Telegraph reckons the burglary of Di Maria's home has effected his performance. That's just silly. If it was that simple the situation could be fixed by someone sneaking in to his house and putting extra things back. No. I think there's a more serious reason for his decline this season. British shin pads.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Gary Neville in the Telegraph reckons the burglary of Di Maria's home has effected his performance. That's just silly. If it was that simple the situation could be fixed by someone sneaking in to his house and putting extra things back. No. I think there's a more serious reason for his decline this season. British shin pads.
:lol:

LLMU

Getting him off early in the last two games will affect his confidence. He is still very much the creative outlet in the team. On the ball, he is unpredictable and could do some magic. Problem is LvG prefer players to play the safe option.

Dante

Average bang
He's got no confidence. He keeps trying low percentage moves which would seem amazing if they came off, but almost certainly won't. It's like he's deferring all responsibility to the gods of chance.

I think if he were in a well functioning team, he'd take fewer stupid risks. It looks like he's attempting the impossible because nobody else is trying to make anything happen.

Womp

idiot

SqueakyWeasel

Excellent :lol:
Has anyone read that piece btw? Looks like they just needed some column inches filled before they went to press and made up something to go with whatever pictures were top of the pile. Half way down they even use that pic of Ozil that makes him look like he's got rickets!
Link to article: http://bit.ly/1APE1ub

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
With all due respect, that's a really terrible attitude. The basics of any competitive team sport (in anything other than a really poor quality league) is to have faith in each of the other positions in the team. Without that, it's impossible to function as an effective team.

Don't think this is true at all.
I agree. I could guarantee that say if SAF was noticing something like this occuring he would drag and potentially banish the player refusing to pass it. You can't have a 'team' operating like that, otherwise it's way just a disjointed collection of individuals.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Against Bilbao, Madrid really lost di Maria directness and urgency in midfield.

In our recent games, seems like he's been given the role as our playmaker, and he could take many risky passes.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I see a lot of people calling for him to be benched on Monday....that is just ridiculous, his direct football would be perfect against Arsenal

RuudTom83

A Home game against Arsenal is NOT the game you decide to bench Di Maria.

Monday night could be his stage, but i'm not expecting a motm performance tbh but all the same he should start and his pace and direct style will hurt Arsenal if and when the match opens up.

Roboc7

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the summer if PSG are willing to pay £50-55m for him. Don't think he should be dropped for the game tomorrow, even though his performance wasn't great against Newcastle we missed him when he went off.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.