Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Tbf, for all this 'Young has been so much better' 'Young could be POTY' he's only managed 2 assists and 1 goal (might be 2 with tonights) compared to Di Maria's 10 assists and 4 goals.

Di Maria is being held to far higher standards (which is only natural given his fee and reputation) but Di Maria has made a far more valuable contribution to the team this season then Young has, despite the latters good performances.
Young's been playing mainly as a wingback/fullback so you can't compare their productivity.

Trizy

Right now his offensive contribution doesn’t cover for his mistakes which lead to opposition attacks. He put in two good balls (not sure about the offside) but other than that he makes an awful lot of bad decisions. Huge risk to play him in midfield in that form, he might be a huge problem for van Gaal in the coming weeks.
This.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Tbf, for all this 'Young has been so much better' 'Young could be POTY' he's only managed 2 assists and 1 goal (might be 2 with tonights) compared to Di Maria's 10 assists and 4 goals.

Di Maria is being held to far higher standards (which is only natural given his fee and reputation) but Di Maria has made a far more valuable contribution to the team this season then Young has, despite the latters good performances.
Comparing a Wing/full back to a winger ?

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Young's a distance better defensively and a little in possession, but I agree Di Maria's outplayed him all in all (just not to the extent you'd want in a perfect world, with a £60m player).

Thought he was poor today but still wouldn't for a moment want him dropped if I was a United fan. Need his creativity more than neat passing and he provides it in spades, for all the wasteful passes. Cat among the pigeons and it pays off enough to be well worth his place and one of the first names picked.

Last edited:

legball

He was poor again. We do like too much analysis, "taken off at the wrong time" and stuff like that. Him giving away the ball and being careless almost led to a Newcastle goal, twice. That's poor.

Stringer

He actually has, Ashley Young is a contender for player of the season, can't say the same about Di Maria. I'm not sure you have been watching the games, i don't even think the word "dangerous" and Di Maria should be in the same sentence as far as this season is concerned.

Costa,Sanchez and Herrera are all facing the same struggles - new club,league,country,language etc and they are all from La Liga... so why should i give a £60 million man leeway even after he specifically asked for the #7 shirt? he was briefed about his role in the team before hand so i don't see what the big deal is.

seems like everybody uses the laughing emoticon to reply to peoples comments now, to make them seem like"experts", and end up not saying anything useful...oh well.
As long as we've got experts like you around to correct us all and supply us useful information, we'll be fine then...

jem

It was getting to the point where it seemed like a genuine 50/50 proposition as to whether he could complete a simple pass. Just not good enough for a player of his calibre. I think he needs more time (and hopefully will get it,) but it's extremely generous to say that he's been anything other than a major disappointment so far.

Kag

Good post. As poor as Di Maria has been in recent weeks, the notion that Young has performed better this season is simply silly. Young has improved relative to his previous form and ability, but Di Maria has clearly performed better and contributed a great deal more to the side. It's a non-starter.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I think the expectation of him has been so over stated that he can't win to be honest. He's not a Messi, not a Ronaldo. He's a guy who's had what...maybe one great season, and when he signed he was seen as this messiah to our problems. I'm a bit pissed off with him because I had expectations of him delivering more than he is at the moment..because what he is delivering is pretty average apart from the odd few moments. However, I reckon, if he wants to stay in Manchester, which let's face it, after his experience here, one wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to be off, he is one of those players who will acclimatise more slowly than some other foreign players. I'm hoping he doesn't turn into an Ozil..where sporadic moments of greatness are separated by long periods of mediocrity in relevance to how much he costs...
Funny you mention Ozil, who has been great since his return (bar Monaco, where everyone was crap). He bulked up, looks fitter and is putting in a shift. He covers the most ground in our team (having said that Ramsey has been out).

Maybe after two long seasons with no break, including a season acclimatising to a new league, he will need a break (like Ozil - though his was through injury) to refresh. Maybe, like Ozil, he will come back looking like the player we all thought they would be when they were purchased.

Personally I think the most important players for Ozil are Ramsey, Walcott and Sanchez. They make runs and provide outlets for a player like Ozil. Unfortunately he's had no chance to play with all of them, but we should see them all on the pitch together in the next few weeks.

Acole9

Outstanding
He really shouldn't have started tonight, he could've done with being left out. I don't know what's happened to him but I hope he gets back to his best soon.

Eriku

I kind of wish he hadn't been taken off when he was, because he'd just played two passes that were imaginative and which penetrated the defence nicely... Just looked like he was finding his feet. I might be off and that he'd have resumed "normal" service and lost the ball more often than not, but I do wonder...

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He celebrated the goal which was good to see. Maybe just first-season-syndrome. Let's see how he is next year.

Sam

Young's a distance better defensively and a little in possession, but I agree Di Maria's outplayed him all in all (just not to the extent you'd want in a perfect world, with a £60m player).

Thought he was poor today but still wouldn't for a moment want him dropped if I was a United fan. Need his creativity more than neat passing and he provides it in spades, for all the wasteful passes. Cat among the pigeons and it pays off enough to be well worth his place and one of the first names picked.
I think thats on the money tbh.

NoPace

I thought he should have gone to left wing and Young come off. Might simplify the game a bit for him to be on his natural wing.

Positive note was he set up what should have been a goal on the Rooney offside. This phase will pass. I'm not worried.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

This really. The difference today with him on the pitch and after he got subbed off was huge. While he was on the pitch, sure he was sloppy in possession and wasted a few things, he also created just about everything we did and we looked dangerous going forwards every time and it was a matter of when we'd score. When he came off, we had nothing in an attacking sense. He was below par today but still as you say creates loads of chances.

Kakeru

There has to be language issues with him and the players who doesn't speak Spanish.. The movements and passes just seem odd when say, Rooney or Fellaini or Blind is the closest to him.. Plays with Herrera much better..
Oh, c'mon! How do you think Carlos Tevez sorted things out when we even had fewer Spanish-speaking guys on the team and him speaking almost zero English? There is a reason why players of any team sports discipline use codes and other unique communication systems to make sure everyone's on the same page. I'm sure the Manchester United coaching staff, like in any respected sports club, have their own code for players to use in match situations. So I expect Di Maria to use the same "coded language" as other players can.

If you think Spanish-speaking players have issues with English in football, you should have seen Russian-born ice hockey players trying to make it in the NHL; it's really difficult to break the language barrier. ;)

XdanielredX

Don't know what's going on with him.

He started so well he was being hailed as the best and most similar player to Ronaldo we have had since, well, Ronaldo.

Brilliant assists, crazy goals, blistering runs...

What happened?

Could see he was proper pissed off about coming off too.

ravi2

Januzaj should have started with adm coming on later.
Di Maria gave the ball away too many times for my liking.

Walters_19_MuFc

With the games we've got coming up, his form is seriously worrying. I mean, we should be looking at players like him to drag us through games like yesterday. You know, someone who will give us that spark. I just hope he can sort his form out.

ZDwyr

He should have more space to run into when we play Arsenal as they won't be as defensive as other teams. Maybe that will help turn his form around.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He should have more space to run into when we play Arsenal as they won't be as defensive as other teams. Maybe that will help turn his form around.
Hopefully we set-up against United like we did against City.

Sam

Its become pretty clear that he is far better suited to a counter attacking team, I reckon Fergie would have loved him for example, but I'm starting to really worry that he'll never really work in a possession based, passing set up. He'll still rack up assists, but wont hit the heights of last season.

Its a massive headache really. He's not particularly suited to a midfield role in a LVG team, well he's not suited at all tbh, and he's not a world class (for want of a better description) winger. It is starting to look like this wasn't a very well researched transfer in all honesty, another one of those 'great player, wrong time' kind of signings to file along with others like Veron, Berbatov and Mata.

Really really hope I'm wrong, and he turns it around. He's such a talented player, and a joy to watch on form. Would be such a shame to see that go to waste and not work out at United.

ZDwyr

Hopefully we set-up against United like we did against City.
I wondered about that. It didn't seem to work as well against Spurs though so I thought Wenger might be hesitant to do it again.

Its become pretty clear that he is far better suited to a counter attacking team, I reckon Fergie would have loved him for example, but I'm starting to really worry that he'll never really work in a possession based, passing set up. He'll still rack up assists, but wont hit the heights of last season.

Its a massive headache really. He's not particularly suited to a midfield role in a LVG team, well he's not suited at all tbh, and he's not a world class (for want of a better description) winger. It is starting to look like this wasn't a very well researched transfer in all honesty, another one of those 'great player, wrong time' kind of signings to file along with others like Veron, Berbatov and Mata.

Really really hope I'm wrong, and he turns it around. He's such a talented player, and a joy to watch on form. Would be such a shame to see that go to waste and not work out at United.
Agree completely. He gives the ball away too much for a possession game. Well, he seems to anyway. Maybe it's just his poor form doing that.

Sam

I wondered about that. It didn't seem to work as well against Spurs though so I thought Wenger might be hesitant to do it again.

Agree completely. He gives the ball away too much for a possession game. Well, he seems to anyway. Maybe it's just his poor form doing that.
Nah, he's always been like that. An all or nothing sort of player.

I just can't, with hindsight and more understanding of LVG's blueprint for a team, get my head around why he wanted to buy Di Maria for £60 million. He just seems like the complete opposite to the kind of player LVG would want to build a team around. Unless he saw him as 'his Robben'? As I say, I hope there is logic in the decision and I hope he's here for years to come, but I'm struggling to see how right now.

ZDwyr

Nah, he's always been like that. An all or nothing sort of player.

I just can't, with hindsight and more understanding of LVG's blueprint for a team, get my head around why he wanted to buy Di Maria for £60 million. He just seems like the complete opposite to the kind of player LVG would want to build a team around. Unless he saw him as 'his Robben'? As I say, I hope there is logic in the decision and I hope he's here for years to come, but I'm struggling to see how right now.
Someone else said that it was a statement signing from Woody. That we will still spend and be a force with no CL football. Beginning to thnk it may have been because he doesn't really fit. Unless, as you said, the plan was to 'Robben' him.

Sam

Someone else said that it was a statement signing from Woody. That we will still spend and be a force with no CL football. Beginning to thnk it may have been because he doesn't really fit. Unless, as you said, the plan was to 'Robben' him.
It is starting to really look like that. I'd honestly love to know what the plan was.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I don't care how often he gives the ball away, he just needs to run at defenders and try the incisive passes more. Playing with a lack of confidence.

Rezyuz

On dutch television they did an analysis of his stats,

Di Maria was on the ball 52 times. He lost possession due dribbling, bad passing 26 times. Thats a 50/50 chance he will lose the ball.

Now combine this with the fact that most likely the other 26 SUCCESSFUL passes have a HUGE percentage of simple back/side passes. Its pretty shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually had 90% fail rate in forward passing/beating opponent.

Hojoon

He was pathetic, yet still should have had 1 (maybe 2? Didn't see the replay of the offside clearly) assist. Sums Di María up when he has a poor game.

kiristao

I cant remember the last time I saw him go past a fullback... for someone with his pace and trickery, its rather shocking how much he struggles even in a one on one situation.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don't care how often he gives the ball away, he just needs to run at defenders and try the incisive passes more. Playing with a lack of confidence.
Agree with this we have turned him from one of the worlds best player to a Nani clone! Play him in his best position for feck sake but then we are short if we do in behind the striker unless we play a square peg in a round hole (Mata wide). LVG needs to work something out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.