Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I wasn't impressed but to be fair to him and the hype machine, starting him against a team of hardened Slavic journeymen pros was probably going to be a stretch for a waifish, short 19 year old.

Roll on the next cup game and let's see what he learned from tonight.

NWRed

Forget the skill by Gomes... Just look at their first touches.. Lingard couldn't pass straight to Mata. And this is not just isolated. Happens so often.

Shaking my head at how much less time gomes gets while Lingard has been stinking it up. Used to think Lingard was a decent squad player.. Doubt even that now.
I'm a big advocate of Gomes getting more playing time, I think he's destined for greatness, but this arguement about Lingard might carry more weight if Gomes hadn't misplaced and miscontrolled most of his first 10 passes/touches in the game before he settled down.

In Gomes' case it was due to nervous energy, in Lingards case it's due to a lack of confidence, not a lack of ability.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm a big advocate of Gomes getting more playing time, I think he's destined for greatness, but this arguement about Lingard might carry more weight if Gomes hadn't misplaced and miscontrolled most of his first 10 passes/touches in the game before he settled down.

In Gomes' case it was due to nervous energy, in Lingards case it's due to a lack of confidence, not a lack of ability.
Despite few off touches that there may have been Gomes played well last night. Was the bright spark for us in attack.

Thiagoal

The thing you have to remember about all our team yesterday is that they were all lacking sharpness due to this being their first competitive match of the season (bar Rashford) Expecting any of them to pull up trees yesterday was seriously unlikely

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was my man of the match, that's not the point I was making.
Fair enough. I don't believe Lingard has difficulties with easy passes in general. His struggle is other areas which hopefully get better.

kolli

Honestly don‘t know what people expect.
Imo when judging a players performance you always have to consider the circumstances and playing in a starting 11 that probably will never be on the pitch like this again is not the easiest thing to do.

Even our first team often looks like they never played together, so it certainly wasn‘t the easiest thing for anybody to impress yesterday. Angel was surely one of our better performers alongside Tuanzebe

O'Sheady

He should be moved into the regular matchday squad after this. Good performance, was definitely one of three or four who were positives on the night. I can't wait to see more to be honest.

Name Changed

weso26
He was good in the first half. His set piece deliveries were great. Easily the best I have seen for us for a long while.

He faded in the second half and even his deliveries faded.

But I seen enough to believe that he will become a very good player.

The criticism he has received on there is frankly ridiculous. What did people expect? Let him play some more games before writing him off.

One thing is for sure, I've seen many a worse performance from so called established international players that we have that are regular starters.

Crashoutcassius

Nice to watch and a fan favourite but truth is also that he did nothing vs a far worse team than we usually play and looked tired then. I want him to get minutes to develop but hopefully this kills the idea that he should start every week because he is the best option

Ace of Spades

He was very comfortable and calm with the ball, unfortunately when he found pockets of space in between players in the middle, the CMs just kept overlooking him and made easier passes to the side. They probably did not trust him to keep the ball in such tight spaces, as our other players in that position usually are useless in that aspect, but it is one of Gomes' biggest strengths. This meant that he started drifting in wider positions to get on the ball a bit more and there was a hole in between the CMs and the striker.

Still, a nice first start, and should get more game time as the fixture list piles up.

Kostov

Absolute fantastic player. He oozes class. He's already a better option than Mata and Lingard, he should play more frequently.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He played well but, in my opinion, you could see why he's not quite ready to replace Mata and Lingard just yet. I know they're not great options themselves but they have that composure and assuredness that is needed in the PL. I felt like Gomes handed on responsibility too easy at times when he needed to carry the ball himself, for example.

Hopefully he and the others take it up a notch next week.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope the idea that he is too small can die. He is used to playing against bigger lads.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He played well but, in my opinion, you could see why he's not quite ready to replace Mata and Lingard just yet. I know they're not great options themselves but they have that composure and assuredness that is needed in the PL. I felt like Gomes handed on responsibility too easy at times when he needed to carry the ball himself, for example.

He needs to be playing with players who would give him the ball in risky positions, like Pogba and Martial to really see his talent. Hopefully Ole can see that and tell the likes of Matic and Fred to play him the ball even in tight spaces

One of the reasons we can't break a low block is because we don't play enough passes to players in tight spaces and move the ball too slow

Maureen-yo

He was very comfortable and calm with the ball, unfortunately when he found pockets of space in between players in the middle, the CMs just kept overlooking him and made easier passes to the side. They probably did not trust him to keep the ball in such tight spaces, as our other players in that position usually are useless in that aspect, but it is one of Gomes' biggest strengths. This meant that he started drifting in wider positions to get on the ball a bit more and there was a hole in between the CMs and the striker.

Still, a nice first start, and should get more game time as the fixture list piles up.
Absolutely agree, I watched it happen time after time last night, Matic was the main culprit. It reminded me of the old Kagawa situation a little bit, he used to take up very clever positions in between the lines but didn’t have brave enough players around him to attempt the pass so it just went sideways and backwards instead.

Ole90+3

That's arguably Lingard and Mata's biggest faults.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s such fine margins because I’m a massive Greenwood fan, yet he did not have a great game....if the keeper keeps his legs shut and the chance we created from the pass and skill of Gomes in this clip, then all the talk is of Gomes.

Yet Gomes gets written off with Chong because Rojos cross is a metre too far ahead.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think he was pretty bad, oe better said anonymous. He hardly did anything (unlike Chong who was bad and tried but couldn't do anything). I know that it is just his first chance, but young players who get chances should take them, otherwise the next chance won't come soon.

I hope he does better the next time he plays. I also don't see him playing much in EPL this season.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That control and turn almost gave me the same chills as that Berba turn. Pure football magic. Shame he didn’t drop a lil lower to engage Fred and Matic often like mata did

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He made some weird decisions at times (which is to expected), but you can clearly see there hes incredibly talented. Was a moment in the first half were he got the ball at the edge of their box and then set up Rashford (?) with a lovely turn and pass.

Hopefully he gets more chances as the season goes on, because we really need someone who can work the ball in tight spaces

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That match wasn't easy for anybody apart from the fullbacks and central midfield.

Astana didn't come to play, they sat there with 11 men behind the ball and gave us zero space around the penalty area.

Gomes stayed patient and sat in the 10 position most of the match hoping the midfield would find a pass into his feet, but it rarely came.
On the odd occasion it did, he won quite a few dangerous free kicks or turned and played a nice ball out wide.

Obviously his body isn't the strongest or quickest so putting him right up alongside 3 markers with little room will never be the best for him - he's better in pockets of space where he can start running and use his centre of gravity.

For me this was a good debut against a stubborn defensive side. In the other matches where it gets more stretched I expect him to do even better (especially if the midfield start trusting him)

meamth

He was good in the first half. His set piece deliveries were great. Easily the best I have seen for us for a long while.

He faded in the second half and even his deliveries faded.

But I seen enough to believe that he will become a very good player.

The criticism he has received on there is frankly ridiculous. What did people expect? Let him play some more games before writing him off.

One thing is for sure, I've seen many a worse performance from so called established international players that we have that are regular starters.
Uhhhh no. His corner kicks are atrocious in the 2nd half. We could see him disappointed with himself.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gotta chuckle at everyone getting massively carried away by a single piece of skill.

Decent performance overall. Some nice moments and great set-pieces (in the first half). As expected, he struggled with the physical elements of the game. Got out-muscled all night and seemed to fatigue quite badly as a result.

You can tell he’s a class player but will probably follow a similar development arc to Raheem Sterling. Only really coming into his own when he develops proper full grown man strength. I just hope he also mirrors his development in terms of ability. It’s definitely possible. Long way to go though.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the issue with a player like Gomes is he is all about the link up and players like that need to build and develop a chemistry with those around. As mentioned the biggest issue he had yesterday was he didn't really engage with Fred and Matic by coming deep enough to collect the ball. Mata did this when he came on and was able in influence play more effectively.

That said he's young and will learn. He would benefit from some more game time in the first team, sub appearances or otherwise.

With regards to his performance it was average. You can clearly see he's a player though; his touch, short passing, movement and awareness is very good for his age. He looked quite tired early in the second half so no surprises he came off.

With regards to the performances of our young debutants I'd rate them as below;

1) Greenwood - Goal has elevated him to number one as essentially that's his job. Great finish and composure at 17.

2) Tuanzebe - Obviously poor opposition but he has excellent recovery pace and reads the game well. Caught out of position a few times early on but grew into the game and looks a great talent.

3) Gomes - See above

4) Chong - Doesn't look ready to me and despite a lively first 15 mins faded badly and made poor decisions. Seems the weakest out of the four for me.

Jimmy_Bond

I think the issue with a player like Gomes is he is all about the link up and players like that need to build and develop a chemistry with those around. As mentioned the biggest issue he had yesterday was he didn't really engage with Fred and Matic by coming deep enough to collect the ball. Mata did this when he came on and was able in influence play more effectively.

That said he's young and will learn. He would benefit from some more game time in the first team, sub appearances or otherwise.

With regards to his performance it was average. You can clearly see he's a player though; his touch, short passing, movement and awareness is very good for his age. He looked quite tired early in the second half so no surprises he came off.

With regards to the performances of our young debutants I'd rate them as below;

1) Greenwood - Goal has elevated him to number one as essentially that's his job. Great finish and composure at 17.

2) Tuanzebe - Obviously poor opposition but he has excellent recovery pace and reads the game well. Caught out of position a few times early on but grew into the game and looks a great talent.

3) Gomes - See above

4) Chong - Doesn't look ready to me and despite a lively first 15 mins faded badly and made poor decisions. Seems the weakest out of the four for me.
Very fair assessment. Worth noting that the level of opposition was around League 1.

It's a shame these players aren't coming into a decent team, as they have an awful lot of potential.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought he had good game, first half he was lively linking up play, set pieces was also good. Second half his performance went down, also around 60th min, he looked very tired.

Next week we have league cup, again should be a good opportunity for him.

Drz

Was pleased with his performance. From what I've seen he is a quality footballer yet needs to adapt to playing at the 1st team level. By that I don't mean he needs muscle, but needs to adapt the way he positions himself to receive the ball when he is close to being marked, and that can only happen the more he plays in such games.

ottosec

Had a decent game, but nothing special.

Needs to stay away from corners.

Canagel

I thought he was different class. Got a foot like a wand. He has the technique & imagination hardly any in our squad have.

That piece of skill on the edge of the box to fool the defenders and set up a chance is exactly why he needs to play more. We're way too predictable in the final third. When do we ever see any of the team do that?
And it's quite normal for the top teams. When we were good we used to have players that can do the special things to open up the defence in every match and not every once in a while . Just that we've become accustomed to mediocrity in general it seems like something strange and unusual to see creative player that does the normal things any creative player should be expected to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.