5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincantona

The over reaction about the kids ability is insane. It was the wrong type of game for him but we had no other options. They had men behind the ball the second he came on. His direct running style, getting in behind, finishing, all lost quite simply because there were 10 green shirts between the 6 yard box and edge of the centre circle. In those moments players like Mata, VDB etc. With movement and experience and patience are important. He will develop this traits. Not many kids have them...Messi maybe did. People are mental. Other than a missed penalty he was ok. We are going to need him and while this game didn’t suit him, other will.

Ixion

Anyone criticising Elanga needs to give their head a wobble. Literally anything we get from him this season is a bonus, let's not try and knock him down after a handful of games.

Bristol_Red_87

Should have been introduced slightly earlier.

His profligacy still paled to insignificance when you consider what came before.

Will now have a much bigger role to play for the rest of this season and will undoubtedly be one of the brighter spots to come from it.

Ixion

Great picture. Obvious to anyone with a brain it’s not his fault though.

The players posting their support on social media is probably something done to counteract the inevitable racism too, which is a grim measure of where we’re at.
Honestly one of my first thoughts after the miss was I should pop on Twitter and report all the racist shit I see.

Red00012

He was subject to racist abuse online

some people are an embarrassment from the safely of been in front of a keyboard and screen

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He got himself in some promising positions. Finishing let him down like the rest of the team, but let's not forget he was only a sub while the others had 120 minutes of finding the back of the net instead of the post/crossbar.

If you're upset we lost to a championship side because of a youngster missing the 7th pen you're an imbecile.

Red Rash

I don't place any blame on Elanga because the truth is if we took our chances and the referee disallowed the goal we would have won the game.

With that being said I didn't feel confident when he stepped up to take the penalty. He looked nervous and the short run up worried me.

It was a comically bad penalty however. He should have just gone for placement and hoped the keeper dived the other way.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Where is this racist abuse? I’ve searched his name on Twitter and there’s nothing but positive and supportive messages on there

Chairman Steve

Some people were screenshotting his Instagram and I’ve got to say a large portion of the stuff I saw didn’t look like it came from people from within the UK. It seemed more like Middle Eastern and Asian origin… something I think doesn’t get acknowledged within the media. They seem to think all these racist posts come from UK people.

And this isn’t the first time I’ve seen that particular trend

spiriticon

It's a penalty. You miss some, it's part of the game.

There's no need to criticise or abuse him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some people were screenshotting his Instagram and I’ve got to say a large portion of the stuff I saw didn’t look like it came from people from within the UK. It seemed more like Middle Eastern and Asian origin… something I think doesn’t get acknowledged within the media. They seem to think all these racist posts come from UK people.

Pretty sure it's everywhere. I remember Singaporean and British had got caught for abusing players so far.

mav_9me

Pretty sure it's everywhere. I remember Singaporean and British had got caught for abusing players so far.
That's exactly right. I am indian origin and I can tell you for sure we can be just as racist/discriminatory as white people.

mav_9me

I have zero issues with his penalty. Shit happens.

At the same time he didn't have a good game. Also happens.

Yesterday's game is at the feet of Ronaldo who not only missed the penalty, also had an awful game imo. And also Bruno for missing that sitter.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

People said the same after the Euros tbf (that it wasn’t British people) and it was proved a few weeks later that it was.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...-origin-of-racist-posts-after-euro-2020-final

lsd

The Oracle
He was subject to racist abuse online

some people are an embarrassment from the safely of been in front of a keyboard and screen

While it's totally inexcusable I have to think it's got to the stage where you have these scumbags just waiting for something like this, a black player to miss a penalty so they can rush on and abuse them.

I can't believe these are United fans so upset over a teenager missing a penalty that they just turn racist.

It's just so sad there are people like this

AFC NimbleThumb

‘But, but. . . we don’t have a racist fanbase’

‘Oh we do but they aren’t real fans’

‘They’re not from England’

‘Oh wait, some are English.’ [Hides head in sand].

Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It was a poor pen, just that. I am sure the next time he will hit the target.

I am not that bothered about Utd going out. There are more important competitions that require full attention. Playing style is improving. It would be nice to see Utd reach a decent level before the Champions League tie.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

I'm fairly certain this is common knowledge around here. It does get acknowledged by the media.

I don't know why he looked so upset, we're shit anyway.
Probably because he has top mentality and focuses on his own mistakes. Otherwise he wouldn't be here.

‘Oh wait, sonn my are English.’ [Hides head in sand].

Rinse. Repeat.
What does the bolded mean?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He had two headers. One from a Fred cross he should’ve glanced in but hit full on the forehead and the other at the back post that went straight at the keeper.

And Rashford scored a header against Arsenal in his first ever PL game and Greenwood scored a late headed winner against Brighton last season. It shouldn’t really matter what body part they score or don’t score with really, it’s about having that cutting edge, and not…
It's a strange criticism. The one thing that Elanga already appears significantly better at than either Rashford or Greenwood is his aerial ability. Apparently Rashford has scored only 4 headers in his entire first team career for both Man Utd and England, and Greenwood only has 1. Elanga has already got 2 in a fraction of the gametime. In general play Elanga is already winning more headers than both Rashford and Greenwood put together per 90 minutes.

So in terms of finishing a headed chance I'd be far more confident in Elanga than the other two.

SATA

I remember he scored a cracking header away at Wolves last season. Shame he couldn’t convert just one last night

SonyaCross493

Chin up lad. Even the best can miss a penalty. To read the lad has got racial abuse is sickening and disgusting

not his fault we lost and he will come back stronger

United. United we stand when we win and lose.

ROFLUTION

‘Oh wait, some are English.’ [Hides head in sand].

Rinse. Repeat.
Erh, great stereotyping going on yourself there. Always nice to see racism brought up as if it is some kind of competition worthy of comparison across fanbases.

Public service announcement: This post contains irony

Sad as it is this will build his character for the next time he's put in that position. I'm sure Ronaldo will have sat him down afterwards and told him not to let it get to him. Every player misses a penalty at some point but it wasn't a big enough game to define him as a player, it will be forgotten in a few days.

Man Utd 2:0 Brighton

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't know if Elanga will make it at United. However, I do know that he will do what is asked of him. Never stopped running, never stopped getting into the positions he needed to be in. That's why he's starting ahead of certain others.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wish we stop promoting future average PL players. Pick one or two standout talents and give them a chance. Not to every young player who looks decent.
Elanga is nothing special.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's a grafter. I think he's showing more than Rashford but really want to see more quality from him on the ball, anyone that's watched him from U23 knows he's capable, might be a confidence thing.

lost7

He got us the red card because otherwise that would have been shocking. He's player better than Rashford so should continue to start

Status
Not open for further replies.