Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even if he was the teachers pet, he showed a bit more fight than the other morons.

Whether he has the quality, I’m not sure but either way, he was somewhat of a bright spark in a shite side

Thaumaste

Why teacher's pet. he showed more and had more energy than those criticizing him

Absolutely.

It's such a bizarre thing to use to attack a player and, if true, reflects terribly on anyone who would criticize Elanga for it. Especially because you know they're only doing it because he's a young player and they feel they can get away with it.

Now, obviously, Elanga can't be mentioned in the same breath as Eric Cantona, but it's well known that when he arrived at the club, he'd routinely do extra training - and instead of calling him teacher's pet (which, to be fair, I would love to have seen as I imagine Eric's and SAF's responses would have been brilliant), the others got on board and worked harder to match Eric's standards.

Just because Elanga's young and maybe technically less gifted than a number of other players, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be acknowledged, praised and - ideally - emulated for doing what's within his own power to improve and impress.

pss

If anything, the fact that the other players got surprised of the amount of minutes he got shows the total lack of understanding from the other players about the importance of workrate.

Born2Lose

This kid's been such a ray of sunshine in a shower of excrement season. Hope ETH sees something in him too.

Lynty

Just replaced Dan James role in the sqaud. But Dan James won more free kicks.

arthurka

He has the right attitude that's for sure, I will am pretty sure the new manager will like him too.

L1nk

He has workrate and desire that's for sure... In the long run i'm not sure his ability will carry him through though. He's decent but don't think he's that good

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has workrate and desire that's for sure... In the long run i'm not sure his ability will carry him through though. He's decent but don't think he's that good
He's 20 and played a full season out of position without looking any worse than established players like Sancho, Martial or Rashford. He could have played more on the left and been a squad option had Greenwood been available. I think there's more to come from him.

Mainoldo

I don't see this as being the issue for him. He wins a lot of 50/50's and aerial battles and will continue to with his training regimen. He's pretty strong. He needs some time to refine technical aspects.
To be honest I was going off what Ralf said when he was given the ball and he lost it, then we conceded. Can’t remember what game now, but he said they was told not to give Elanga the ball in that position.

I seen that as they had identified he has weaknesses in his game with protecting the ball. That’s normally a core issue.

So I’m not referring to banging the weights. More building core strength.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The cynic in me says that his newfound prominence is more PR than reflective of on the field potential. Fits in with what the club is pushing: young, academy developped, exciting, potential (also, FREE). He had a ton of minutes this season without being productive as a foward for Manchester United. That's not really a good look for us.

Also I swear the pic on the right was tweeted out last summer as evidence of him getting ready for the new season...

Mickson

Very well taken goal and had a nice cameo. It will be interesting to see how much EtH can get out of him.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He does have a habit of scoring goals. A good habit to have. He’s put in some absolutely hapless performances this season but the goals are very encouraging.
3 goals in 27 games as a forward is a 'habit of scoring goals'? I know the standards have dropped at the club but come on :lol:

NoPace

I've said it before, he's going to do really well for Sweden because he's alert defensively and has good stamina and pace and fits their 4-4-2 approach as a winger, like a Ljungberg. Viktor Claeson has 11 goals in 59 caps for Sweden as a similar but not particularly good player. So, Elanga getting say 20 in 75 seems realistic to me. His club career I have no idea.

El__Jingo

guarantee'd this lad will be playing at lower prem/championship level in years to come. why do so many fans get caught up on over hyping academy players?? genuinely the only player i can remember us producing in the last 10 years who has had hype around their name and produced it in the first team is Mason. you can argue Marcus but he didn't have anywhere near the hype mason did. ( im being harsh on marcus.. im just really baffled as to how he's declined over the last 18 months) but back onto Elanga, United need to sart acting like a big club and no big club right now has Elanga in their match day squads.

Marwood

3 goals in 27 games as a forward is a 'habit of scoring goals'? I know the standards have dropped at the club but come on :lol:
He's mostly played right wing to be fair.

It takes away a lot of goals he typically gets from his usual left side position. That's based on watching him in U23's. The goal yesterday another example.

pacifictheme

guarantee'd this lad will be playing at lower prem/championship level in years to come. why do so many fans get caught up on over hyping academy players?? genuinely the only player i can remember us producing in the last 10 years who has had hype around their name and produced it in the first team is Mason. you can argue Marcus but he didn't have anywhere near the hype mason did. ( im being harsh on marcus.. im just really baffled as to how he's declined over the last 18 months) but back onto Elanga, United need to sart acting like a big club and no big club right now has Elanga in their match day squads.

I agree completely. I think all fans, but especially united fans, love a youth prospect. But we do seem to have a habit of massively over hyping the youth players, which is understandable I guess with our history.

Angel gomes, always thought he would be a star.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Be interesting to see how ETH uses him and if he values him. Ten Hag is great at developing young players, think Elanga can hit a new level under him.

Abraxas

Not really sure what people are on about claiming that he's overhyped or using him within the context of our fans perception of youth products. I haven't seen or heard from many people claiming he's the next best thing.

He got a chance because a) Greenwood messed up, b) we were desperately short across the frontline due to Rashford non-performance and Cavani being unavailable and c) he put a shift in, which while not exciting and should be a minimum standard, it blatantly has not been.

So that's where we are with him, he did alright, who is claiming he's a top talent or a nailed on first teamer moving forward? He's got an opportunity to be in the squad and that's about it. It's up to his development and the manager.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was always a bit of a cut inside merchant, which is why I always thought the heavy criticism he got when playing on the right was unfair.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Just replaced Dan James role in the sqaud. But Dan James won more free kicks.
He is a technically much better player and decision maker than Dan James. Dan James was scouted with the out-dated idea of a player "expressing himself" and x-factor (speed). Elanga is a educated player for the modern era. They are very different.

Lynty

He is a technically much better player and decision maker than Dan James. Dan James was scouted with the out-dated idea of a player "expressing himself" and x-factor (speed). Elanga is a educated player for the modern era. They are very different.
He might be technically better. But he still fills the same role and I don't see that ever changing.

TheDosser56

Maybe Ten Hags Antony? He can develop him. His ceiling is high.

the thing with Ten Hag he can actually develop players. The first manager we've had in years and years who will actually develop players.

dutchred

Maybe Ten Hags Antony? He can develop him. His ceiling is high.

the thing with Ten Hag he can actually develop players. The first manager we've had in years and years who will actually develop players.
I think that will be Amad who is very similar to Antony. I believe that Elenga will become a Right wing back

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Real Madrid brought on Dani Ceballos in a Champions League final...and still won it.

Status
Not open for further replies.