Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Needs to go out on loan and play every week. Playing 1 in every 5/6 games for us at beat isn't doing anything for his confidence and form.

He will probably look much better playing every week at a smaller club.

Strats

Park was immense. Any sort of comparison to Elanga is borderline disrespectful to Park.

youmeletsfly

Think he is just one of those we move on for 5 mil after a loan.

Just think he looks two levels below JLingz and that is saying a lot. Hopefully he is not here 6-7 years down the road.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We should be looking to sell while we can. Apparently has a great attitude and an academy player but he is technically very limited and that's not going to improve at 20.
Why not, Dalot certainly did

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I just don't see anything there, sadly. He's not super-quick, he's not good in the air, he can't beat a man, he can't shoot, his passing range is limited and weak...

Would love to be proved wrong but he doesn't pass the eye-test at all for me. Pellistri looks better alerady.

Mr.Plow

Don’t be daft. Welbeck was a full squad member for three years. Cleverley for two (three at a push). We finished second on goal difference and won the league in two of those seasons. The other was Moyes. They were perfectly fine squad members in winning teams, when it became clear they wouldn’t become first 11 regulars they had the choice of staying and playing 20 games a year or moving.

McTominay is at that point now, we’ve had Lingard, Andreas, Henderson, Greenwood previously fill the squad in the last few years, and most of those had loans first. They’re absolutely useful players as long as we can improve on moving them out at the right time (Lingard).

Elanga deserves a chance to go out on loan before we ship him out permanently.
If we'd had a good striker instead of Welbeck, maybe we wouldn't have finished 2nd on goal difference. As I said, I know we need them to pad out the squad, I just think we stick far too long with academy players, Lingard being the worst example.

I've followed Utd closely since the 04/05 season and I'm pretty sure Greenwood and Rashford are the only players who've even looked like being world-class in that time. Something is really wrong with the academy.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I think Dalot was always good technically and has now improved other parts of his game. There has to be a basic level of technical ability.
Elanga has technical ability, he just doesn't know what to do with it yet, he needs to play on a regular basis to find out what his level is and whether he has a future with us, he's not going to get that at OT so he needs to be loaned out

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I watched his compilation vid today. Im convinced he is the next Mbappe

DevTheRed

The only position he’s remotely useful is LW and with the depth we have there he’s never going to get games.

Loan him out and sell in the summer.. best for both parties.

PoTMS

Why would Everton want him? He's shite and will see them fall deeper into the relegation spots. I can't imagine their fans would be so keen to take another one of our castoffs after their recent history with Van de Beek and Schneiderlin.

Idxomer

The only position he’s remotely useful is LW and with the depth we have there he’s never going to get games.

Loan him out and sell in the summer.. best for both parties.
Yep, that's the problem here.

He isn't very versatile and his best position is where United's best forward, most promising youngster and 72m winger play.

RuudTom83

Everton probably just want him as a cheap option to pad the squad out...it does nothing for Elanga or United tbh.

He will go to Everton, have a handful of cameos, and return in the summer.

Elcabron

Elanga has technical ability, he just doesn't know what to do with it yet, he needs to play on a regular basis to find out what his level is and whether he has a future with us, he's not going to get that at OT so he needs to be loaned out
He has technical ability alright, the problem is that it's nowhere near up to the level required.

You don't need two years to know if a player is going to be good enough or not. He is not now and never will be good enough for united unfortunately. A loan is pointless in my view as it will only highlight his shortcomings. Sell now while he has some value. High time we started doing that.

Dan_F

If we'd had a good striker instead of Welbeck, maybe we wouldn't have finished 2nd on goal difference. As I said, I know we need them to pad out the squad, I just think we stick far too long with academy players, Lingard being the worst example.

I've followed Utd closely since the 04/05 season and I'm pretty sure Greenwood and Rashford are the only players who've even looked like being world-class in that time. Something is really wrong with the academy.
I don’t think top clubs produce a massive amount of world class talent, La Masia aside. If you look at the top players in the world, how many of them came from one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It’s far more common that these players play first team football for a smaller club at 17/18 or at least go out on loan for a couple of years. At United, we seem to expect our kids to break into a team that needs to be competing at the very top level before they’re 20.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
He has technical ability alright, the problem is that it's nowhere near up to the level required.

You don't need two years to know if a player is going to be good enough or not. He is not now and never will be good enough for united unfortunately. A loan is pointless in my view as it will only highlight his shortcomings. Sell now while he has some value. High time we started doing that.
I'll bow to your expertise, you obviously have much more experience than I do of judging a 20 year old's quality than I do

Strootman's Finger

I like Elanga, seems like a super likeable kid, works hard, doesn't complain, and was one of the few bright sparks last season. But he needs to develop, and not in our first team, he needs to be loaned out. Having said that, I don't think he'll ever be an elite level player, he's fast, he works hard, but I don't really see a technical element to his game that has me thinking, when he hones that in he'll be a superstar. He strikes me as a hard working player that will be a good squad player. But I am 100% open to him proving me wrong.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I like Elanga, seems like a super likeable kid, works hard, doesn't complain, and was one of the few bright sparks last season. But he needs to develop, and not in our first team, he needs to be loaned out. Having said that, I don't think he'll ever be an elite level player, he's fast, he works hard, but I don't really see a technical element to his game that has me thinking, when he hones that in he'll be a superstar. He strikes me as a hard working player that will be a good squad player. But I am 100% open to him proving me wrong.
That's a fair assessment, I don't think he'll be a superstar either but some folks in this forum think we should have superstars as backup as well as in the first XI - unless we pay for what are little more than mercenaries that's never happening and nor would I want it

Rajma

Don’t see much point in loan type deal, we should be looking to sell outright clearly not at the required level for this club.

SAFMUTD

Don’t see much point in loan type deal, we should be looking to sell outright clearly not at the required level for this club.
Exactly, specially considering we got two youngsters in that position in Amad and Pellistri who both look more promising than him. A 10M fee would be a good deal.

Rolaholic

Could not dream up a better loan for him, hope we allow it

JeffFromHK

happy to sell him at 20M+ if pellistri stays. He clearly has a low ceiling

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Could not dream up a better loan for him, hope we allow it
Great move if they intend to play him relatively frequently. Get his confidence up against some pish defences, learn a different style of play. If he does well we could flog him or give him a 2nd chance, if he doesn't we can loan him out again, perhaps in the Championship.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Elanga himself should push for this move. Not only he will learn, it will boost his chances to become option for United.

SoCross

I just don't see anything there, sadly. He's not super-quick, he's not good in the air, he can't beat a man, he can't shoot, his passing range is limited and weak...

Would love to be proved wrong but he doesn't pass the eye-test at all for me. Pellistri looks better alerady.
Isn’t he like the fastest player in the squad?

I really like Elanga and thought he’d break in to the first team squad but not this early. Definitely as a potentially solid squad member. But he seems to have regressed. Best thing would be a loan, regular football but as of right now, the best option for both parties might be to move him on permanently.

TheReligion

Abusive
With the emergence of Pellistri in the first team and the signing of Weghorst/return of Sancho we can certainly let one of our forwards go on loan.

Elanga would definitely benefit from this and it would allow us to assess him in the summer. I do think he’ll ultimately be surplus to requirements given we still have Amad to come back too but he is only 20 so there’s no rush to sell him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Perfect moment of the match to unleash the lad. That was cheeky what he did in the box and Bruno focused his celebrations on him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Credit Elanga's calmness and ability to see Bruno running into space and pick him out. I have my doubts about him long term but he showed sound decision making today. Given how little time he had to make an impact, you can't really ask for more.

Xaviboy

Looked like he put bit of muscle on or he was wearing few layers underneath the Jersey.

Alemar

Made an assist to Bruno in his 10 minutes, good contribution.

CM

The assist was a nice moment for Elanga. It was a good bit of technical play from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.