6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

He looked so frustrated, like everything is relying on him (which in a way it kinda is) to be our threat, our pace, our running, our counter attack.
Hes only 20, and he really should have not played as much as he had so far for us. Were putting him into total burnout so early into his United career.

Scored 4 in his first 4.. Next 24 games.. 4 goals. 3 assists.
3 goals and an assist in his last 18

Clearly has the talent.. But not doing enough.
How many of those first 4 were up front? It still is mind boggling he was playing up front, scoring, and then we go and drop him to the wing. For a game like this, there is no reason why we couldnt play two up top so he can be a threat in behind to make defenders drop deep thus freeing up space for Rooney / Mata to occupy between the lines.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
We couldn't even string two passes together due to our inability to look like a professional football team when under pressure, so no point commenting on Martial, to be fair. He and Rooney had absolutely no support and in the couple of occasions when we got near their box, Lingard was too busy avoiding his team mates with his crosses.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Scored 4 in his first 4.. Next 24 games.. 4 goals. 3 assists.
3 goals and an assist in his last 18

Clearly has the talent.. But not doing enough.
A lot of different players follow this pattern: start off well, then go drastically downhill.
I wonder if this is coincidence or something is happening in our club which is causing this.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Came in to say this. He looks absolutely knackered - the fact that the teams know that he is the biggest threat and double/triply up on him doesn't help either. Poor game from him, but he needs a break so badly.
Doubling and tripling a player is not unheard of.
When 3 players mark 1 player, it is upto Martial's team-mates to create/score a goal, by using the free space which will be made available for them to operate in.
Unfortunately, our attackers are so bad (worst that I've seen at MUFC, since I started supporting them 20 years ago), that they are unable to take advantage.

AttackingFlair

Had the bollocks to take risks but nothing came off for him, Southampton had too many men around him.

Devil81

I'm getting frustrated with him, whilst I'm aware he's being marked to buggery, I'm also aware he's running straight into defenders.

Fantastic talent, just needs the pressure lifted off him a little, I'm pretty certain he's being sent out as the only player allowed to express himself. It's as if Van Gaal is trying to use him as his Robben, unfortunately, he's not the running juggernaut of the dutch man as of yet.

Sb_16

I bet the montage of his weak passes, shots, runs etc would be long as his good ones. But he's the only one who can lift you off your seats so he gets the pass for this season at least.

Treble

He was poor yesterday. He shouldn't try to beat all defenders on his own so often even though he lacks enough support from Rooney and the other players. I blame also LVG because shifting Martial's positions across the attacking line in order to make room for Rooney is daft and is already backfiring.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He just seems a bit unemotional, which is not a bad trait in a striker.

I read an interesting article which talked about the very top players and how many of them would probably score quite highly on tests of psychopathic personality.

That's not to say they're killers or anything, it just means they remain emotionally detached from the situation around them and nothing phases them. They don't do nerves or fear.

Not many people would have the ability to zone out from the occasion of a football match played in front of thousands of screaming fans and millions watching worldwide.
Any chance you have a link to that article?

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Reminds me of Januzaj under Moyes.

Constantly doubled/tripled up on and looks shattered because he's used far too frequently for a young player.

Acole9

Outstanding
Yesterday was probably his worst game for us, he needs a rest really.

Tosicsleftpeg

Such a fantastic player and needs help. Has all the ability in the world but is literally our only attacker who has been able to do anything of note all season.

I think people should remember how young he is when he has an off day and also remember his much responsibility lays on his shoulders.

Jacob

Freaking love this guy. He is already my favourite player. I can really relate to his personality as well.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think am watching a different player from most people. I'd start off by say he looks tired but his form is down to him not playing off the ball.
For a guy that's being doubled up on he has to play smart and be unpredictable, not only that he doesn't get involved in counters unless the build up is through him.

criticalanalysis

^You're right there. He should be a bit more selfish and look to make runs behind defenders and be on their shoulders.

His preference to having ball to feet and trying to dribble himself into dangerous positions is wearing him and the team down in terms of more effective opportunities.

But the kid is 19 and our system/style is fecking sh|te.

This is not a functioning team where players are operating at even 60% of their 'level'.

^You're right there. He should be a bit more selfish and look to make runs behind defenders and be on their shoulders.

His preference to having ball to feet and trying to dribble himself into dangerous positions is wearing him and the team down in terms of more effective opportunities.

But the kid is 19 and our system/style is fecking sh|te.

This is not a functioning team where players are operating at even 60% of their 'level'.
Ronaldo was the same at times in his early days. Tried to do it all himself and if he wasnt involved in the build up was either uninterested or unable to add to an attack. Martial is also every bit as capable at going past people and causing problems as he was, so i think he will just be fine once he's had a few more years.

Devil may care

I think whoever is the next manager will have to decide where his position is and play him there all of the time, this will also dictate our transfer targets.

NoPace

I think whoever is the next manager will have to decide where his position is and play him there all of the time, this will also dictate our transfer targets.
Think it might be the other way around, sort of. See what star we can get and then pick Martial's position. If we sign someone who is much more effective centrally then Martial will likely play wide and vice versa.

Also, it's possible we'll play 2 up top, still. Simeone has shown 4-4-2 can work (and Pellegrini sort of, too) and there's a case to be made that Schneiderlin is best in a 2 man midfield since he lacks the passing game you want from a DM, but he's mobile enough to be defensively still effective with only one partner. I could see something like this:

-----Martial---Striker-----
Memphis-------------Winger
-----------
Herrera--------
-------Schneiderlin--------

being the future, depending on the manager.

Devil may care

Think it might be the other way around, sort of. See what star we can get and then pick Martial's position. If we sign someone who is much more effective centrally then Martial will likely play wide and vice versa.

Also, it's possible we'll play 2 up top, still. Simeone has shown 4-4-2 can work (and Pellegrini sort of, too) and there's a case to be made that Schneiderlin is best in a 2 man midfield since he lacks the passing game you want from a DM, but he's mobile enough to be defensively still effective with only one partner. I could see something like this:

-----------
Herrera--------

Simeone's 4-4-2 only works because they are all very disciplined and work hard, I can't see Herrera or Memphis excelling in that system to be honest, and no matter who we get as manager I can't see them playing Herrera in a midfield 2, ideally he needs a 4-3-3 system to really shine.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Has anybody else noticed he seems to say "puta" in frustration when missing a chance? Puta meaning "feck" in Spanish.

Is there a French word that is similar to puta that could be used for the same thing? I just thought that it was odd.

@JPRouve @Rooney in Paris

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Has anybody else noticed he seems to say "puta" in frustration when missing a chance? Puta meaning "feck" in Spanish.

Is there a French word that is similar to puta that could be used for the same thing? I just thought that it was odd.

Actually, he says "putain", which is the same thing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Playing 90mins every fecking game. We are running him into the ground.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Putain (as JPRouve said). In English, it would be letting out a big 'Feck'.

Danillaco

-----------
Herrera--------

Kane
------Griezmann

:drool:

Fer

Kane
------Griezmann

:drool:
Griezmann/Dybala
--------------------Sane/Mahrez

Kane and Griezmann would be amazing, but I think we wouldn't have a good balance in a 442. With those players, I would play 433:
Kane
Martial ------ Griezmann

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I can't help but feel sorry for Christie tonight, he probably thought he was a good player until tonight...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Martial - Lukaku/Kane - Deulofeu would be an attacking line-up i'd watch every single minute they played. He's one of my favourite players to watch, he's brilliant.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Can't believe someone compared him to Welbeck in the match thread, insane

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Sub him off, for feck's sake. He's playing 90 minutes every week and we have no alternative to him.

prateik

Finds it so easy to get past his man when he is on form.

Not sure if he has stepped up today or the drop in quality of opposition is the reason.. but he can do that.. And he will only get better/smarter at dealing with better defenders

Status
Not open for further replies.