Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He is absolutely useless on the left wing. He only looks decent when he moves central.
Did you watch the Chelsea game? He was taking Ivanovic apart time and again.

We didn't score in that game, through no fault of Martials. I don't think anyone will argue he isn't better as a striker, but to say he offers nothing or very little from the left isn't true. There are games when he does and games when he doesn't, like any 20 year old in world football.

Stringer

No amount of :lol: will change the fact that Martial offers very little from the left wing.
He is only playing there because that is the easiest way to shoe horn him in.

For all his fantastic ball carrying ability, he very rarely beats his fullback. He is constantly trying to run inside and runs into people.
He isnt a winger. He isnt doing well as a wide forward.
I really didnt think it was a controversial point. It wasnt even a criticism of Martial. Just saying he is not a great option out wide.

Still enjoying his honeymoon period on the caf by the looks of things.
Ok, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Got it.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Err, Martial had a great game on the left just a few days ago against Swansea, scoring one goal and assisting the other. Saying he's ''absolutely useless'' there is idiotic.

He still made things happen today, despite finding little joy against the 2-3 Liverpool players that were constantly surrounding him. He's also staying too wide for my liking (I guess due to Van Gaal's instructions as he demands stretching the play), but it's also because he received absolutely no support from the fullbacks whatsoever, so he couldn't really move centrally during our few attacks today.

Most of the time our players are passing the ball to him and just leave him against multiple defenders to see what happens. This over-reliance on him resembles our attacking play with Ronaldo a few years ago. ''Just pass him the ball and stand still''.

prateik

Err, Martial had a great game on the left just a few days ago against Swansea, scoring one goal and assisting the other. Saying he's ''absolutely useless'' there is idiotic.

He still made things happen today, despite finding little joy against the 2-3 Liverpool players that were constantly surrounding him. He's also staying too wide for my liking (I guess due to Van Gaal's instructions as he demands stretching the play), but it's also because he received absolutely no support from the fullbacks whatsoever, so he couldn't really move centrally during our few attacks today.

Most of the time our players are passing the ball to him and just leave him against multiple defenders to see what happens. This over-reliance on him resembles our attacking play with Ronaldo a few years ago. ''Just pass him the ball and stand still''.
Yes he did. That assist was from the left wing too and not central..
Absolutely useless might have indeed been an overreaction. scratch that. was an overreaction.
Still think he is poor on the left wing.

My original post was with "why is he wasted on the left wing, move him up top" in mind. And no one here agrees with my opinion that he is poor out wide.

We probably do miss a full back like Evra too.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Absolutely useless might have indeed been an overreaction. scratch that. was an overreaction.

My original post was with "why is he wasted on the left wing, move him up top" in mind. And no one here agrees with my opinion that he is poor out wide.

I'd like to see him up front as well, but it won't happen anytime soon, especially with Rooney's current goalscoring form.

He's very good on the ball, but the lack of support from the fullbacks means he's constantly surrounded by at least two opposition defenders, so it's only natural he's not going to come out of those situations on top every time. After all, he's not Messi. If we had Shaw available, he'd have been much more effective. Our current fullbacks are useless in attack and are poor on the ball as well, but despite all of this, Martial is still creating chances and making things happen, which showcases his talent even more.

Van Gaal's pragmatic system doesn't do him any favours. We're playing too defensively and the passiveness of the fullbacks is making things much more difficult for the attacking players. Not even Young has been able to constantly deliver on the wing as a right back.

We need Shaw back, so Martial could be used like Neymar at Barcelona.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Quiet at times, and out of position, but he still looks incredibly dangerous when he's on the ball and gets space to attack. I thought he was quieter in the first half than the second, but there was one moment where he came back and challenged Firmino (I think that was it) completely unexpectedly. Love him for moments like that.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

he massacred everton from the left side as well. He has had plenty of very good games for us from the left while playing in a team full of useless attacking play from the more senior players. His game vs City was good as well, created the lingard chance with a smoothly lobbed pass and went past city players like they weren't there.

I can not remember Welbeck doing alot from the wing.

Robbie Boy

fecking Welbeck offered more on the wing :lol:. Only on here. I'm sure Arsenal might take us up on a swap deal. The overrating of Welbeck will never die for some around this place.

thejtrain

He looks like he is capable of beating his man anytime he wants to, so I just wish he'd want that more often. He seems to slow down and take a touch or two more when he could easily keep the pace of the game and do more. Best outfield player of ours, though, no doubt about that.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
His defensive contribution today was enormous. He doesn't shy away from his responsibilities when playing on the wing like Memphis and Mata often do. It's not really expected of him, but he's a very good tackler.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I frickin' love this kid. Even when we can barely pass the ball he has magic in his feet when he gets the ball and drags us forward. Unlucky with the finish from a tough angle after some lovely work to create space. Set up a shot for Herrera. Beat his defender for dead before Sakho blocked his shot. And his defending for the Firmino chance was brilliant. It's hard to shine when the attack simply doesn't work, but I love how assured he is, and doesn't end up looking clumsy all the time due to a lack of cohesion in those around him. That's the sign of a good player, when your technique and quality on the ball stands out even when the team has played poorly in attack.

Spock

Imagine what Martial could do for United once we set him up with a proper attacking partner. Say, Greizmann.

Litch

It's funny cause he has a dribbling style that you think he was lucky there like the Liverpool goal but then when he keeps doing it you realise he actually means it......

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Probably the birth of his second child.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Might be that he's close to 1m followers and is planning a giveaway but a new signing is the dream.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Only just realised, while watching MOTD, that he won the corner that led to the goal. Just give this lad the ball and let him run at full backs. Defensive chaos ensues.

RedStarUnited

Not just the full backs, the AM needs to be closer to him too some times.

We dont move forward well as a team. And we really should leave him up when we are defending corners, no need to bring eveyone back and have no outlet.

Adisa

I think it's ridiculous something like that has been made public. Is that how Monaco operate?
Seems Monaco will get percentage of any profit on any transfer. Hopefully that is very very far away.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Easy solution: Never sell.

Who the fcuk sells a worldie talent like Martial, anyway? Not United (hopefully), that's for sure. (pretty please)

Adisa

This deal has changed the landscape for young players from Europe IMO. Shalke will be looking for £35m at least for Sane. Breel Embolo will be close to £30m.

MarkC

Interesting reading. Looks like we will only be due a sell on % if we sell him before close of the 2018 summer window and he hasn't been nominated for Baloon d'or or scored 25 times for us in a season or played 25 times for France. Sell on only comes into play for fees over 60 million euros. Seems unlikely in that case we will pay anything. If he is that good we aren't going to sell him in 2 years.

Interesting clause 4.5 forbids to details of the contract to be made public! Unfortunately any problems are to be addresssed to Fifa.

Adisa

Interesting reading. Looks like we will only be due a sell on % if we sell him before close of the 2018 summer window and he hasn't been nominated for Baloon d'or or scored 25 times for us in a season or played 25 times for France. Sell on only comes into play for fees over 60 million euros. Seems unlikely in that case we will pay anything. If he is that good we aren't going to sell him in 2 years.

Interesting clause 4.5 forbids to details of the contract to be made public! Unfortunately any problems are to be addresssed to Fifa.
They have already broken it.

Status
Not open for further replies.